nesquik

2012 Train 'Exclusive' - Rumours/Rumblings?

Do we have a topic for train rumours or not?

We do and it's here. Topic merged.

Ah, where is 'TheBrickster' when you need him around here eh ?

Regulator... represent!!!!

My ears were ringing... Okay guys. I can't read Train Tech posts 24/7. :angry:

In fact, I'm still waking up - haven't even had my coffee yet. :sadnew:

Liam - not a problem. 2012 speculation has been discussed before and I've merged your topic here. The question comes up every so often.

I am hoping for a return of the Superchief in the medium stone colors... PF compatible... packed in 3 cars

(A unit, B unit, and maybe a baggage) with a seperate 3 car set (2 carriages and an observation)

if we can't get that maybe a more city-related passenger train with medium stone trucks and with the

medium stone decorative side for the train motor...which havent been released in a set until 7897

RC passenger train.

I think this also belongs here as opposed to Discontinuation Speculation.

My prediction is a High-Speed train. Possibly a Japanese bullet train, with tilting cars. If not, it will probably be some type of electric passenger train. Do you have any more ideas?

Hmm... Whilst this looks ideal on paper, or at least logical, I'm not too sure how it would plan out in reality. The train Exclusive sets are from the Creator series, meaning that the construction and design is the main focus of the product, not the playability. The last high speed train released was for the World City I believe and that utilised special parts for the 'nose' of the front and rear cabins:

10157-1.jpg

I could be mistaken, but I'm just not sure if TLG would make similar parts again for a new high speed train - particularly when it's not a part of the main City theme. Sure enough the Emerald Night contained new bricks, but they had great reusability.

I'd personally rather see an updated version of the original (and absolutely classic) 'Metroliner' 4558 train. With the number of new bricks available today, TLG could offer a more realistic take on this great design.

4558-1.jpg

I can't help gazing at it... Such a beautiful product!

Edited by tom-cat

I'd personally rather see an updated version of the original (and absolutely classic) 'Metroliner' 4558 train. With the number of new bricks available today, TLG could offer a more realistic take on this great design.

if they did, there would be a lot of crossover to many of ABB locomotives in Europe and Hong Kong styled ones (cosmetic

Changes mainly). Who knows - but he is probably not talking.

if they did, there would be a lot of crossover to many of ABB locomotives in Europe and Hong Kong styled ones (cosmetic

Changes mainly). Who knows - but he is probably not talking.

Well it would definitely need a signature style - something that just jumps out at you so you immediately think "Yep, that's an electric passenger train". A lot harder than we think sometimes! :grin:

Well it would definitely need a signature style - something that just jumps out at you so you immediately think "Yep, that's an electric passenger train". A lot harder than we think sometimes! :grin:

agreed but still think something along the lines of the crocodile locomotives with working linkages would offer the best of electric vs steam. Indeed even the smaller ee3/3 series would be nice, obviously electric. The new smaller electric locos for shunting are just too plain, but distinctive with their glass expanse. Don't know the names but Zurihb should.

For a high-speed train, what about the Amtrack Acela train in maersk or light blue... that would surely jing...

:devil:

:sweet:

I'd love another train exclusive. I prefer passenger trains so the Maersk set didn't really get me too excited. The Emerald Night was nice but with only two figures was a little disappointing.

I'd love a famous train like the Ghan or Indian-Pacific in Australia (with aspects of the set creating a real Aussie feel) or the Eurostar, California Zephyr, Orient Express or anything in India with a real Asian feel.

My favourite Lego set ever is the Metroliner - I like the fact that you could buy the club car separately as an add on.

We do and it's here. Topic merged.

My ears were ringing... Okay guys. I can't read Train Tech posts 24/7. :angry:

In fact, I'm still waking up - haven't even had my coffee yet. :sadnew:

Liam - not a problem. 2012 speculation has been discussed before and I've merged your topic here. The question comes up every so often.

I think this also belongs here as opposed to Discontinuation Speculation.

Thanks for merging. I should of looked for existing topics more carefully. Sorry but I'm new here.

Hmm... Whilst this looks ideal on paper, or at least logical, I'm not too sure how it would plan out in reality. The train Exclusive sets are from the Creator series, meaning that the construction and design is the main focus of the product, not the playability. The last high speed train released was for the World City I believe and that utilised special parts for the 'nose' of the front and rear cabins:

I could be mistaken, but I'm just not sure if TLG would make similar parts again for a new high speed train - particularly when it's not a part of the main City theme. Sure enough the Emerald Night contained new bricks, but they had great reusability.

It's true that they probably won't want to bring back the previous high-speed train, and I don't want that either. I don't like that one from my judgement; the parts are too specialized. If it's the next train in that series, than it would probably be be built mostly out of old pieces. The EN had a great design, so the designer might be able to figure out a way to give it the aerodynamic shape out of mostly unspecialized pieces. I'll post a link to a page for a fan designed high-speed train. The official lego version would probably be narrower. I know of one unofficial train with tilting cars.

http://www.mocpages.com/Mary Poppins.php/128273

The high-speed train that I linked to was well made. It might look a bit on the "bricky" side. I don't know how the official train would look. It might be a bit of a lie to call a battery train "high-speed", as electric trains achieve their speed from a high power to body ratio, because they don't require batteries like most EV's (or gas tanks and other parts of diesel and steam).

If the next Train "Exclusive" comes in 2013, I am hoping for one of these:

• Redesigned/updated Santa Fe Super Chief with two cars
  • BNSF, not the GP-38 again, but a modern design with new TTX cars
  • New Modular Train Engine Shed
  • Trolley
  • A real working Tram
  • Subway Train
  • Monorail
  • Streamliner

Next modular being a Train Station would be great! Two birds with one stone!!!!

A modular train station would be great!!

I hope the next train LEGO does is the Darjeeling and Himalayan Toy Train. Won't happen, but I think it would be really cool.

so no news yet?! The cargo train is now discounted at least! (already?!!).

I think is not possible to have a modular Railway Station,

Because if you put the rail parallel to the station(and is modular)you have the rail in the yard of the other buildings..

If you want to put the rail fontal to the back of the station,you have only two rails.

I hope you have understand what i mean,if they made a Modular Station,and give to us some modular train yard to upgrade the rail park,i think that is really a good idea!

But,if they made a Station,on a standard modular Baseplate....:sceptic:

I think is not possible to have a modular Railway Station,

Because if you put the rail parallel to the station(and is modular)you have the rail in the yard of the other buildings..

If you want to put the rail fontal to the back of the station,you have only two rails.

I hope you have understand what i mean,if they made a Modular Station,and give to us some modular train yard to upgrade the rail park,i think that is really a good idea!

But,if they made a Station,on a standard modular Baseplate....:sceptic:

I understand what you mean about the back yards but if the design has the track attached to the edge of the yard it couuld run just outside of the other yards. Another possibility would be for the train station to be designed as an inside corner (as opposed to the Cafe Corner's and the Grand Emporium's outside corners) or, better yet, as a double inside corner. The double inside corner would be very interesting because it would make it possible to make a "normal" street with the other modulars where the buildings face each other on both sides of the street.

That is an interesting point, if they ever make a modular train station, I would think, having the tracks go through the middle of the building would be the best solution. That way you have a front for the street and entrance and the back can be a mirror or have little food stands/small shops.

so no news yet?! The cargo train is now discounted at least! (already?!!).

Which Cargo Train and where? I didn't see them discounted on shop.lego.com.

It is possible to have a modular train station I hae one and have just expanded it to include a third track. Here is a link to the Brickshelf gallery. (No pictures of the third line up yet though.)

My Modular Station

It is possible to have a modular train station I hae one and have just expanded it to include a third track. Here is a link to the Brickshelf gallery. (No pictures of the third line up yet though.)

My Modular Station

I think the question is how you would lock it in to the other modulars without the track either going straight out the front or through the other interconnected buildings.

I think the question is how you would lock it in to the other modulars without the track either going straight out the front or through the other interconnected buildings.

Oh, I see. Mine has just one track that terminates in the station and two tracks that go under the main building and out into the road at the front where there are crossing barriers to come down. It seemed more like one or two of the stations near where I live than the traditional type where the lines are st the side.

It's as easy as making it the terminus. One of the busiest railway lines in Norway goes between Oslo and Bergen. I live in Bergen, and the line stops here. You could turn something like this into a decent modular building (although the Bergen train station is obviously a bit too large for that):

norway-bergen-transport_bergen-train-station_dsc00022.jpg

I seem to recall that back in the days of 4.5V it was possible to get just the motor, battery box, some train wheels, couplings and that grey plate that went over the motor. Then you could build your own train.

I know that they sell the motor and wheels nowadays, but this is really only good for dielsel and electrics and you do not get any couplings, bases or battery box in the same box.

Perhaps they could have some package where they sold the big steam wheels with the coupling rods, all the technic gears and gubbins needed to set them up, couplings, with the power functions bits and a book of instructions on ideas. Admittedly it would probably be an online only thing, but would something like that go down well with the AFOL community and possibly not cost them an arm and a leg to do either?

I seem to recall that back in the days of 4.5V it was possible to get just the motor, battery box, some train wheels, couplings and that grey plate that went over the motor. Then you could build your own train.

I know that they sell the motor and wheels nowadays, but this is really only good for dielsel and electrics and you do not get any couplings, bases or battery box in the same box.

Perhaps they could have some package where they sold the big steam wheels with the coupling rods, all the technic gears and gubbins needed to set them up, couplings, with the power functions bits and a book of instructions on ideas. Admittedly it would probably be an online only thing, but would something like that go down well with the AFOL community and possibly not cost them an arm and a leg to do either?

I remember that set, I got one in the 80's after my dark age and before my gray age (period where I had a keen interest in LEGO but my financial situation was a nightmare, hence no LEGO purchases). It also came with then-ordinary wheels and a set of threads so it wasn't strictly limited to trains. It kind of fits with LEGO's present emphasis on cross-theme kits.

I know that the couplings and wheels (including the small ones with Technic axles) are available on the on-line pick-a-brick. Maybe they should replace two of those awful Bionical parts with the big steam drivers and the blind drivers. As far as instructions go, maybe some of our steam AFOLs could set something up?

Dan-147

I don't like the model trains, I liked the stuff like the train station or the level crossing, you see I have a Hornby set, I don't want a bigger version of it, with Hornby there are tons of sets and trains you can add cheaper then some of the LEGO trains..