nesquik

2012 Train 'Exclusive' - Rumours/Rumblings?

....Unfortunately, it's not the Maersk or the Emerald that appeals to the kiddies, but rather the play trains.

I've got to say that from what I have seen at exhibitions, the kids love to see the Emerald Night going around because it what they recognize as a train, and they all beg their parents to get them the 'steam train'. I think the biggest trouble with this concept is the price point, but if LEGO were to release a smaller steamer with a cargo centre or perhaps a train station included, for a similar price to the Emerald Night, I could see more kids receiving a set like that.

Unfortunately a train alone is not much of a drawcard, as you need track and cargo/passengers before imiginative play can really happen. So fingers crossed that LEGO makes something along those lines, with at least a loop or track and something for the train to interact with... :sweet:

I've got to say that from what I have seen at exhibitions, the kids love to see the Emerald Night going around because it what they recognize as a train, and they all beg their parents to get them the 'steam train'.

Ha, I agree with them! Love the Steam trains. I suppose they don't fit a City layout as well as a modern train does. But I just love that Steam era. I can't seem to design anything modern for MOC. That post-Industrial Revolution era has a pretty good grip on me.

I've got to say that from what I have seen at exhibitions, the kids love to see the Emerald Night going around because it what they recognize as a train, and they all beg their parents to get them the 'steam train'.

I can certainly understand that. Unfortunatetly, when the same kids go down the toy aisle at the big TRU (or other local toy shop), if it's even on a shelf, will they grab an Emerald Night of the big Star Wars ship?

Unfortunately a train alone is not much of a drawcard, as you need track and cargo/passengers before imiginative play can really happen.

Exactly. That's the point I'm trying to get at. A City Cargo Train mingled with the Harbor and other new City sets will have more appeal than a stand-alone hobby train, which also brings up the issue of stand-alone train sets vs. complete sets.

On the other hand, if there was a small section of stand-alone train sets in a "build-your-own-train" area, imagine the appeal? I'm remembering a visit to a German toy store as a kid and seeing the 12V sets - locomotives, wagons with people, tracks, and accessories. Would this ever be possible for LEGO? The My Own Train line was as close as we've come in recent years, and it was a marginal attempt (IMO) with most of the appeal/marketing on-line. A more elaborate hobby section in the store, perhaps between Technic sets and City with a light-up display and sound would add interactive appeal, similar to seeing that Emerald pass through a tunnel in an exhibition.

With the right marketing and combination of sets, I think the expansion of the hobby train could work. If LEGO offers one hobby train every few years only available on-line or in LEGO retail stores, then the train theme (as a sub-theme of City) will remain what it is now. The price-point issue can be mitigated with stand-alone sets. That's what I'd like to see later in 2012 - "stand-alone" sets and not one or two but five or more with minifigs. :thumbup:

With the right marketing and combination of sets, I think the expansion of the hobby train could work. If LEGO offers one hobby train every few years only available on-line or in LEGO retail stores, then the train theme (as a sub-theme of City) will remain what it is now. The price-point issue can be mitigated with stand-alone sets. That's what I'd like to see later in 2012 - "stand-alone" sets and not one or two but five or more with minifigs. :thumbup:

I completely agree. The Emerald Night was appealing because of that clever gear box and the driver train. It was very cool to see it move around the track, it lasted for a long time on the market. However I never really liked the minifigs, two of them didn't have a torso print. Whatever happened to the days of the Metroliner when we would have over 10+ minifigs and accessories and play features galore? That set I feel is the best passenger train thus produced by LEGO, the interior was brilliant and all the goodies that were included made it even better.

I also agree that more stand alone sets should be produced.

I certainley hope they replace the Emerald Night. My son really wanted that, and just as he was getting it for Christmas, the manager of our local LEGO store said: 'We haven't had a shippment of them in a while, I think it's discontinued' :cry_sad:

So my son is upset that he never got round to getting one :sad:

I hope it's going to be the same, though.

Edited by Lance

I really liked the individual cars (10013-10017), and it's a shame that Lego doesn't make them anymore. I think it is too expensive to buy a whole train. Unfortunately, the model train hobby as a whole is dwindling away. Since kids in general aren't too big into trains, they aren't too big into Lego trains.

Whatever happened to the days of the Metroliner when we would have over 10+ minifigs and accessories and play features galore?

Alas I think they were the days when TLG weren't really aware of how much it was actually costing to produce a set, things were just put together with what looked right and set at a price that seemed reasonable. These days they are acutely aware of exactly what it will cost to produce a piece, right down to knowing the effect a colour change will have. That makes the inclusion of lots of expensive to produce minifigs less likely, given that it means sacrificing a lot of bricks and thus good detailing to do so.

Alas I think they were the days when TLG weren't really aware of how much it was actually costing to produce a set, things were just put together with what looked right and set at a price that seemed reasonable. These days they are acutely aware of exactly what it will cost to produce a piece, right down to knowing the effect a colour change will have. That makes the inclusion of lots of expensive to produce minifigs less likely, given that it means sacrificing a lot of bricks and thus good detailing to do so.

but we can buy individual mini fig's so there is no real shortage, sets may have the odd exclusive print but unless its a licenced theme i dont hold my breath for any thing too special mini figure wise,

On the other hand, if there was a small section of stand-alone train sets in a "build-your-own-train" area, imagine the appeal? I'm remembering a visit to a German toy store as a kid and seeing the 12V sets - locomotives, wagons with people, tracks, and accessories. Would this ever be possible for LEGO? The My Own Train line was as close as we've come in recent years, and it was a marginal attempt (IMO) with most of the appeal/marketing on-line. A more elaborate hobby section in the store, perhaps between Technic sets and City with a light-up display and sound would add interactive appeal, similar to seeing that Emerald pass through a tunnel in an exhibition.

I completely agree. The Emerald Night was appealing because of that clever gear box and the driver train. It was very cool to see it move around the track, it lasted for a long time on the market. However I never really liked the minifigs, two of them didn't have a torso print. Whatever happened to the days of the Metroliner when we would have over 10+ minifigs and accessories and play features galore? That set I feel is the best passenger train thus produced by LEGO, the interior was brilliant and all the goodies that were included made it even better.

I also agree that more stand alone sets should be produced.

I'm pretty sure the My Own Train and BNSF/Santa Fe lines were the result of feelings like these coming from LEGO train fans in the US. Unfortunately it didn't work.

Part of the problem is that with the poor sales of trains in comparison to say Star Wars retailers don't stock a lot, and don't want to restock 'old' slow selling sets. At least in Australia that results in having to buy all the trains in the first wave or missing out. It's a lot more likely that parents will buy a complete train in a set than four individual cars and an engine all at once, so overall sales of complete trains are better than individual cars.

I personally hope that sales of the Maersk and Emerald Night have been sufficient to give TLG confidence to do bigger train sets aimed at AFOLs, since I see that at far more likely than a range of sets.

I personally hope that sales of the Maersk and Emerald Night have been sufficient to give TLG confidence to do bigger train sets aimed at AFOLs, since I see that at far more likely than a range of sets.

Me too, I think D2C sets specifically targetting the AFOL market are probably the way to go, rather than trying to compete with the more mainstream products for shelf space in toy stores. It would be great if Trains could get some of the AFOL love that the Modular Buildings line has, with regular releases of high quality models.

I don't think TLG will go for another licensed set soon (like the Maersk), but it's difficult to see what they'll come up with because the Exclusive sets are usually quite different to the City counterparts in terms of authenticity. Because of this, I reckon they'll come up with something similar to Emerald Night since the steam train theme can be varied endlessly, and having the loco, tender and carriage really breaks up the build and makes it more interesting.

It's a tricky one though :sceptic:

My opinion on this is maybe we don't really need TLG to design and build us a lot of Rolling Stock or Locomotives, we just need them to make the specialized parts (like Train Bases, Wheels, Bogie Plates, Couplers, Train Windscreens, Windows, Doors, etc). Something like the Hobby Train Set but maybe a little smaller (thus cheaper) so help drive sales. If they could do it in different colors (a Red Set, a Yellow Set, a Black Set, a Dark Gray Set, a Light Gray Set, etc).

My opinion on this is maybe we don't really need TLG to design and build us a lot of Rolling Stock or Locomotives, we just need them to make the specialized parts (like Train Bases, Wheels, Bogie Plates, Couplers, Train Windscreens, Windows, Doors, etc). Something like the Hobby Train Set but maybe a little smaller (thus cheaper) so help drive sales. If they could do it in different colors (a Red Set, a Yellow Set, a Black Set, a Dark Gray Set, a Light Gray Set, etc).

I have been trying to let LEGO GROUP know this throught the Surveys and Emails for Years, The only limitation to LEGO creativity is the lack of Specialized Train Parts in the Right Colours.....and they would be able to sell the Parts at a Premium.........*huh* While they are at it they could also consider specialized custom stickers for Rolling Stock, Buildings and Bricks

Just My Two Cents Worth....Maybe the Right Guy Reads This eureaka.....:classic:

I have been trying to let LEGO GROUP know this throught the Surveys and Emails for Years, The only limitation to LEGO creativity is the lack of Specialized Train Parts in the Right Colours.....and they would be able to sell the Parts at a Premium.........*huh* While they are at it they could also consider specialized custom stickers for Rolling Stock, Buildings and Bricks

Just My Two Cents Worth....Maybe the Right Guy Reads This eureaka.....:classic:

In the cussoo thread in ambassador forum there appears to be new rules concerning custom parts whereby they would be considered with a production premium. Sorry iPhone linking not easy, but worth checking the details.

In the cussoo thread in ambassador forum there appears to be new rules concerning custom parts whereby they would be considered with a production premium. Sorry iPhone linking not easy, but worth checking the details.

I don't think we would really need custom parts, just an adequate supply of parts they already have molds for...

So my son is upset that he never got round to getting one :sad:

If it cheers him up any, the Emerald Night has a few play issues for kids. The wheels bind easily, the couplings are easily knocked off etc.

I'm not knocking it as a model for older kids or AFOLs :wink:

You could go on a bricklink mission, and build a custom steam train with him?

Edited by andythenorth

I don't think we would really need custom parts, just an adequate supply of parts they already have molds for...

I'd be very happy with this. Green 4x3 train windows would be very welcome here.

I'm surprised pick a brick online hasn't explored this. It seems to me that they're not much use to me in Australia with their shipping costs unless the parts are significantly cheaper than Bricklink or they have something otherwise not available. Special colour runs of common molds seem an obvious draw. There are a bunch of usefull colours for trains like reddish brown that I'd like a lot more detail parts in, such as 1x2 plate with rails, clips etc. More dark green parts would surely be popular. I'm sure this is true of all themes.

Just realised how off topic I've gotten, so sorry, but still think this is an interesting topic.

I have been thinking that the best way to expand the train line is to issue smaller sets that feature an industry or small freight operation. Each set would have four straight rails, one freight car, a minifigure or two, and a loading structure and/or vehicle.

For example, you could build a loading dock for produce (with all the fruit and vegetables TLG makes in minifigure size), with a refrigerator car and a tractor hauling some full crates. Or a log loader, with a flatcar and a log loader vehicle, and some logs made from 2x2 round bricks. All a tank car loader would need is one tank car, a tanker truck, a small catwalk for the tank filling equipment, and a couple of storage tanks.

This way, there's some KFOL play value, and it integrates with the train set line. It could even cross over to other City subthemes.

I have been thinking that the best way to expand the train line is to issue smaller sets that feature an industry or small freight operation. Each set would have four straight rails, one freight car, a minifigure or two, and a loading structure and/or vehicle.

This was the norm with 90's 9V sets, and if you do a bit of searching, you'll find some absolutely excellent products - from carriage 'washes', to maintenance vehicles, snowblowers and more. However, during that period the 'Train' line was considered a separate theme from 'Town', so it obviously garnered it's own line of products, whereas today, the Train products have been merged into the City theme, hence the slimming down.

It's also worth noting that Lego products today have a larger emphasis on narrative and combination. In contrast, the 'Train' products from 15 years ago were very much counterparts of real life and encouraged you to use your imagination more.

This is why I can't see the Train related sets being expanded beyond their current paradigm, because they have to balance out with the quantity of other City sets. Products such as 'Emerald Night' and the 'Maersk' train are just Creator Exclusives , which is what TLG labels products that don't fall into any particular theme.

I've found the best way to build a train system these days is to simply buy the separate models from sets on eBay at a fraction of the price, and do without all the other models that you don't want. For example, I loved the little red cargo truck from 7939, so I bought several of them fairly cheaply as many people sell them in their original numbered bags with stickers and instructions. I saved myself masses of money in the process, too!

Edited by tom-cat

I was looking through the past few years of city sets on Brickset to see what sets were dicontinued. I got to 2011, didn't expect to see any mainline sets gone. I was surprised to see 7287 Police Boat and 7285 Police Dog Unit gone. I can understand with the release of the forest police line, but what really struck me was 4643 Power Boat Transporter is also gone! It only had a 8 month run while the others covered about a year. Anyone have an idea why? Low sales; high manufacture price? default_look.gif

I'm sure that you know about the unnamed series of Lego trains that includes the Emerald Night and Maersk train. Do you have any rumours, predictions, or ideas for the third train in this series?

There has been one steam train, and one diesel, so I'm predicting that the third will be electric. They've done one passenger, and one cargo, so Lego may be alternating between the two.

My prediction is a High-Speed train. Possibly a Japanese bullet train, with tilting cars. If not, it will probably be some type of electric passenger train. Do you have any more ideas?

I should add that I don't mean to say that the Maersk train is a bad set in need of replacement. I don't own it yet but I like it from my judgement.

I don't know about that so you might want to elaborate on that...

Ah, where is 'TheBrickster' when you need him around here eh ? :laugh:

Do we have a topic for train rumours or not ? :look:

I am hoping for a return of the Superchief in the medium stone colors... PF compatible... packed in 3 cars

(A unit, B unit, and maybe a baggage) with a seperate 3 car set (2 carriages and an observation)

if we can't get that maybe a more city-related passenger train with medium stone trucks and with the

medium stone decorative side for the train motor...which havent been released in a set until 7897

RC passenger train.