Hobbestimus

Hobbestimus's Pop Culture Salad

Hello, all. In this thread I'll be sharing the Lego minifigures I've been making based on existing franchises. The idea is to create a sort of "shared universe" where everyone hangs out together - something I've always wanted, but could never realize with the existing toys, which can vary anywhere from 3 3/4-8 inches.

Thank god for Lego.

Anyway, to start here's some pics of my Ghostbusters, based on their cartoon appearance.

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

You can see here that their Ecto-mobile is not fully Lego, but is Lego augmented. That's because he's secretly a Transformer:

IMG_1487.jpg

Here he is hanging out with the guys before they got stickered.

And here's the terrorist organization known as Cobra (you can see they're currently residing in a slightly modified Scorpion Pyramid).

groupshot.jpg

cobracommander.jpg

Cobra Commander

Destrobaroness.jpg

Destro and the Baroness

tomaxxamot.jpg

Tomax and Xamot

mindbenderstormshadow.jpg

Dr. Mindbender and Storm Shadow

zartan.jpg

Zartan

More to come. I've got completed figures and WIPs for GI Joe, MASK, TMNT, He-Man, etc. - nearly 100 minifigures in total right now all based on TV from my childhood, lol.

Hopefully you all enjoy them. I'm looking forward to sharing the finished products and getting the help of the more experienced customizers around here to finish some off.

-Hobbestimus

P.S. Full credit where it's due - I got Cobra Commander's torso from here. My Ghostbusters all have a torso sticker design modified from someone's more movie-ish style. Unfortunately, I lost track of where it came from. If anyone recognizes it, please chime in so proper credit can be given. Thanks!

Edited by Hobbestimus

Here's my take on some Masters of the Universe characters in Lego form.

IMG_2383.jpg

Stratos, Sorceress/Teela, Man-E-Faces, He-Man

IMG_2384.jpg

Skeletor, Trap Jaw, Evil-Lyn, Triclops

I'd like to upgrade Trap Jaw with a new helmet and arm, but I need to track down those pieces.

Comments and critiques appreciated.

And the GI Joe team:

IMG_2385.jpg

Scarlett, Duke, Flint, Lady Jaye

IMG_2386.jpg

General Hawk, Beachhead, Snake Eyes, Roadblock

IMG_2387.jpg

Wild Bill, Shipwreck, Cutter, Gung Ho

IMG_2388.jpg

Low Light, Spirit, Barbeque, Bazooka

Wow, just wow! Spot on with the Joes. I could name most of them without looking at the names. And some of the Masters of the Universe were easy too.

I love the way you did the ram skull for Skeletor.

The Ghostbusters are great too.

Cant wait until you turn other classic cartoons into MOCs :)

Thanks, guys!

I admit to sort of "reimagining" the MOTU characters. Hopefully they're mostly still recognizable. But I wanted them to feel a little more modern so they could stand side-by-side with the others. And, much like the Ghostbusters have a transforming vehicle, this He-Man's Battlecat is a military vehicle that turns into Man-at-arms.

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

Of note, those are Lego axes being used on the Transformers - current Transformers have a gimmick called the C-Joint which is Lego compatible.

It means not only can Lego figures "grip" some Transformers

IMG_1137.jpg

but you can also outfit Transformers with Lego bits

IMG_1699.jpg

or outfit your Lego vehicles with Transformers accessories

IMG_1267.jpg

Anyway, I'll try to stay Lego-centric in this thread, but that's a nice bit of cross-toy interactivity some of you might enjoy.

I am in love with every single one of those GI Joe figures. Between Lego and Joe were my two most favorite toys as a kid..and you've combined them!!!! OMGoodness indeed. I feel like a little schoolgirl...

My very next favorite as a child (late 80s/early90s) was Thundercats. I've seen some renditions in lego simulator, but none really as actual figures. And since there is a resurgence in Thundercats with the newer version cartoon, that'd be neat to see.

Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see more!

Thanks, LegoDr.

With the mummies I have from my pyramid set and the red hood from Red Riding Hood in the Series 7 minifigures, a Mumm-Ra is almost too easy to make to ignore for very long...and then he'll definitely need some 'Cats to fight...

I have more Joes and Cobras to photograph (I have made roughly 45 characters total from the franchise), I'm just waiting on the Christmas holiday, and I'm expecting some needed minifigure pieces under the tree to finish some of them off. :)

Got the pieces under the Christmas tree this morning to finish out my initial MASK cast:

IMG_2428.jpg

Alex Sector, Bruce Sato, Matt Trakker, Miles Mayhem, Sly Rax, and Cliff Dagger.

Have masks for them all under construction.

Also upgraded my Trap Jaw this morning:

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

Edited by Hobbestimus

I came across some purple bands, so I made yet another revision to Skeletor.

IMG_2534.jpg

Used this as my inspiration to integrate the purple but still keep with the black cloak.

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

Also on the villainy front, Krang and Shredder:

IMG_2559.jpg

On a bit of a DC kick since I picked up the new sets:

IMG_2696.jpg

Made a Guy Gardner and tweaked Wonder Woman. I didn't love the legs they gave her, so I went with a basic blue, which reminds of the costume from that TV show pilot they recently made. Also gave her some arm bands.

Loving what you can do with a Green Lantern and some Lego:

IMG_2692.jpg

Also made Alfred and tweaked the Funhouse Robin to be a tad more The Animated Series, my preferred Bat-fiction:

IMG_2703.jpg

And made a Lois Lane:

IMG_2706.jpg

Edited by Hobbestimus

Nice job on these figs.

I think a pair of these

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=88811

would look good for Shredder (at least from what I remember of how Shredder looks)

Thanks. I actually do have a couple of those for him, but I don't always pose him with them since they so entirely cover his arms and hands. But I definitely let him use them for play time. :laugh: Edited by Hobbestimus

Many of these custom designs are lost on me, maybe it's an age thing; I never watched the Ghostbusters cartoon, I never liked The Masters Of The Universe and I've never heard of the terrorist organisation known as 'Cobra'.

However, I really like many of the techniques you have used here; I think the use of goggles as shoulder armour on Tomax and Xamot is brilliant and the way you have made Slimer is ingenious :thumbup:

Where's the funny shaped, chisel jawed head from on 'Destro'?

I also really like your Aquaman - simple but effective.

Many of these custom designs are lost on me, maybe it's an age thing; I never watched the Ghostbusters cartoon, I never liked The Masters Of The Universe and I've never heard of the terrorist organisation known as 'Cobra'.

However, I really like many of the techniques you have used here; I think the use of goggles as shoulder armour on Tomax and Xamot is brilliant and the way you have made Slimer is ingenious :thumbup:

Where's the funny shaped, chisel jawed head from on 'Destro'?

I also really like your Aquaman - simple but effective.

Cobra is the enemy of GI Joe.

Thanks for the props on the building techniques.

Destro's head is an Optimus Prime Kreon head (from Hasbro's Kre-O line) minus the outer helmet.

I had been using the Mega Bloks Ninja Turtles that came out a few years ago in my little cross character world. But I decided I was unsatisfied with them and wanted a real Lego set of Turtles. So I cracked open a Toy Story Soldier set and made some stickers:

IMG_2773.jpg

I still need to give them some back shells, but I need to order some brown neck braces and dishes to do that. You can see Raphael has a gray brace and shell on right now, just to test how that would work out.

Here's my full Ninja Turtle cast to date:

IMG_2772.jpg

Also, a question:

I've built a MOC Turtle Sewer Lair which I would like to share pictures of, but I don't know what forum that should go in. It's not a real Lego license, so the Licensed forum seems wrong...and even though it's a sewer, something tells me the Town/City forum would be wrong...where would I post something like that?

Thanks for looking!

The Special Themes forum encompasses everything that doesn't fit into one of the others I think. These TMNTs have come out very nicely, just add the shell on the back and they will be perfect I think.

The Special Themes forum encompasses everything that doesn't fit into one of the others I think.

Thanks.

These TMNTs have come out very nicely, just add the shell on the back and they will be perfect I think.

Double thanks!

but I need to order some brown neck braces and dishes to do that.

Might I suggest the green neck braces instead with the brown 3x3 dish? It's what I did with my turtle (which is still a WIP), but it gives the shell a bigger appearance.

And I do like your turtles. :)

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

Might I suggest the green neck braces instead with the brown 3x3 dish? It's what I did with my turtle (which is still a WIP), but it gives the shell a bigger appearance.

And I do like your turtles. :)

-Omi

I definitely need some green neck braces. Unfortunately, I fear the 3x3 dish will keep them from interacting with the Turtle Sewer Lair I built - (they wouldn't be able to sit on the couch!) but I do like the look of it. Nice job.

Your Shredder is great, too. Love the helmet.

Just a couple of small updates. I've spent a lot of time revisiting some older figures lately.

I was finally able to make a visor for Snake Eyes that I was happy with. He's had, like, 13 or so before this, lol

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

And I think Hawkeye's legs were the icing on the cake for him.

Bonus, the injured face:

IMG_3431.jpg

All of my Lego Joes so far:

7283110460_326117a1f4_c.jpg

GI Joe Group Photo by Hobbestimus, on Flickr

Back Row: Law, Cutter, Snow Job, Wild Bill, Recondo, Torpedo, Deep Six

Middle Row: Spirit, Beachhead, Bazooka, Hawk, Barbeque, Low-Light, Gung-Ho

Front Ros: Snake Eyes, Roadblock, Scarlet, Duke, Flint, Lady Jaye, Shipwreck

And some upgrades for Teela, He-Man, and Evil-Lyn. With an unchanged Skeletor thrown in for balance.

7292899394_1702851b56_c.jpg

New Clothes by Hobbestimus, on Flickr

Teela and Evil-Lyn's torsos are based on the Lego Avengers Black Widow torso sticker designed by perfectpictures2011 on flickr. I want to make them more accurate decals eventually, but this was a nice quick upgrade. Amazing what a little color change can do.