hjmediastudios

Space Marines!

As much as I think "Space Troopers" is a worse name, at least the project won't be cancelled.

How about Galaxy Marines ???

It is Space Troopers now, as DraikNova ( :oh3: ) kindly pointed out.

As much as I think "Space Troopers" is a worse name, at least the project won't be cancelled.

Since TLG will have the final say in what it's called if it is approved to go to product, I don't think it's even the final name - it's possible it's just a Captain Ersatz placeholder to get around the legal snag. The idea that became "LEGO Minecraft Micro World" was simply called "LEGO Minecraft". "Hayabusa" was originally called "asteroid exploration spacecraft HAYABUSA", and "Shinkai 6500" was submitted as "Expedition set Shinkai". All three of the ideas that have gone to product were renamed, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that "Space Troopers" will, as well.

All the people ranting about Games Workshop's trademark need to keep in mind what a trademark is. Things like Halo are free to use the term "space marine" both because it isn't being used capitalized (since unlike this project's previous name, Space Marine is nowhere in the title), and because the trademark probably applies primarily to toys, tabletop games and miniatures (which Halo and Starship Troopers aren't; there are Halo toys but I think they purposefully avoid using the term). Trademarks only apply for the particular field they are trademarked for, so if for whatever reason someone wanted to start a restaurant called "Space Marine" I doubt Games Workshop could do much to stop them.

In any case, I'm glad the project has been renamed and this issue has been cleared up. Can't wait to see how it does in its eventual review.

Game Workshop can't sue every single person on the internet using the "Space Marines" name, but when one of these person is close enough to make profit upon that name, they'll strike... So as long as the cuusoo project was only an AFOL project, they said nothing, but when that project reached the next step, the lawyers made their move...

Just my thoughts... I hope it will go well, and that a better name than Space Troopers will be found :grin:

Don't you all think you're making way too big a deal out of this? Who cares what the name is, at least it is(hopefully) still going to come out. They could call them Posey Marines for all I care. When I buy this set I'll be calling them space marines all day long.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Don't you all think you're making way too big a deal out of this? Who cares what the name is, at least it is(hopefully) still going to come out. They could call them Posey Marines for all I care. When I buy this set I'll be calling them space marines all day long.

Amen! They'll always be Space Marines to me, regardless of whatever some trigger-happy trademark troll chooses to shriek about.

You're right, of course, but I don't think anybody is actually upset about the name. It's just the idea that some company would butt into so much voluntary creative talent for something as ambiguous as "Space Marines".

I actually like "Space Troopers", I think it works fine.

How about "Space Team HJX" or "Space Squad X" (Xs are cool) No copyright infringement plus the name sounds military but not combat orientated. Space troopers leads to conotations of military origin, something Lego is trying to avoid methinks.

Space Squad sounds great, but it would provoke even more Galaxy Squad confusion. Some of the older alternative names might work though.

You'd have to make sure Quasar isn't Trademarked in some countries as it's the name of a Laser-tag company in the UK.

yep, Google says it is free, plus copyrighting an astronomical entity would be hard, even for games workshop. "Quasar Quest" It also follows Lego logic with "Mars Mission" And "space police"

...Or you could just call it

, since I don't thing GW has a trademark on that term.... :tongue:

:laugh:!! How about "Ermahgerd! Sperce Marernes!" I would totally buy that just to say I bought them. :grin: