hjmediastudios

Space Marines!

These are new guidelines (or rather a cheat sheet) that say that they will most likely not produce entire themes.

These are new guidelines (or rather a cheat sheet) that say that they will most likely not produce entire themes.

Well, I can't say I honestly expected otherwise. Still, it's probably the most well-thought out theme idea on CUUSOO, it has a shot.

I'm pretty sure those have been well-known to most of us, but what exactly is it that violates those guidelines?

Nothing really. The guidelines say that the project has to involve sets. This project has a couple of sets in its list.

I think the larger risk comes from the need of custom molds, to be honest. But the theme vs set part is not that much of a problem, I think that all the ideas in the page (robots, ship, tank) can be made into a single set easily (IF it was necessary to).

Well, I can't say I honestly expected otherwise. Still, it's probably the most well-thought out theme idea on CUUSOO, it has a shot.

It's a great project. But I don't think we will be seeing this specific project produced as a CuuSoo crowd sourced 1 shot. If I am reading this latest guidelines correctly I think it will bump into a few hurdles, some subtler than we anticipate.

The big one is obviously, it is a theme and not simply a set. While it is a fantastic theme, themes are obviously much more involved, and take well over a year to develop. They factor into long term planning and scheduling. I am not sure they are ready to cross that bridge from CooSoo yet. ( the western town will be a good test of this. If they choose to make just the Saloon, vs a huge set vs several separate sets. That may give us some idea of how far they will flex.)

But the other problem is what that theme is, which is sort of undefined. Yeah, we all know exactly what we are talking about as soon as someone says "Space Marines" . We immediately picture Heinlein's, and Halo and Starcraft and Warhammer 40k, etc. but to have a production chance it needs more than that. A much more detailed story and adversary backing it. Plus tighter styling and design direction to add a bit more coherency. Right now we all look at those little red armored minifigs and drool. We all know exactly what they are and what the story is without needing to be told. It is hard wired into our little nerd brains. But as someone who has worked in design and production, it feels thin is all I am saying. It is a great idea, but based on their recent blog posts I don't think thre is enough there for them to run with yet. At least not in this exact form.

Which brings us to problem 3. It's a theme, that may or may not bounce up against themes currently in some stage of development within TLG. Most tellingly is what rumors we have had involving AC 2 include some tantalizing bits about taking he fight out to the Aliens. Those Galaxy Patrol figs weren't created in a vacuum. Someone planned a use for those chest pieces. Which means there already is an armored space trooper element to a theme already somewhere in play. It may be on hold or cancelled. But it is still within internal design documents and plans. So they won't simply make the CuuSoo set anymore than they would "make Pirates" should we push through 10k votes.

Finally the very concept of Marines dances a little close to some of Lego's violence concerns. Note that they named the rather obvious Space Marine minifig the Galaxy Patrol guy. I don't think hat was an accident of translation. That was to blunt some of the Halo'esque military nature of it.

All of this makes me hope that yes we will be seeing an Armorred Space soldier type theme eventually, probably as the next space theme. It almost certainly will not be the project proposed on CuuSoo ( sorry HJM :cry_sad: ) BUT a great deal of interest in the Space Marine CuuSoo project may communicate to TLG the level of interest in such a theme, and push it to the top of the scheduling heap, or resurrect it from cancellation.

Does this make any sense, or am I babbling again?

Which brings us to problem 3. It's a theme, that may or may not bounce up against themes currently in some stage of development within TLG. Most tellingly is what rumors we have had involving AC 2 include some tantalizing bits about taking he fight out to the Aliens. Those Galaxy Patrol figs weren't created in a vacuum. Someone planned a use for those chest pieces. Which means there already is an armored space trooper element to a theme already somewhere in play. It may be on hold or cancelled. But it is still within internal design documents and plans. So they won't simply make the CuuSoo set anymore than they would "make Pirates" should we push through 10k votes.

Does this make any sense, or am I babbling again?

Is there really any substance in the rumor about a cancelled AC 2 wave? The only thing I have seen is a photo on this forum with some alien ships and adu forces including figures, which look like the hazmat guy and the galaxy patrol of cmf. But if you look closer, everythink looks similar to set, which whre on the first (sadly also so last) wave of AC, so it seems to me, that this photo ist just a concept of the first wave and hazmat and gp just didn´t make it into thefinal sets.

So there is some hope that your 3rd point isn´t that relevant.

Personally I fear that this project is becomming to big. As far as I andestood, they are also working also on a videogame (hopefully appropiate for children), and more aliens and even on a sub theme called space navy (which seems to be lead by somework I would call an incalculable risk). I wish, they would first finish some set like the buggy or fighter they already did, and after they finished the core of the project, start making somethink around. Not the other way.

And last. I really really, love this project and hope that in the future I will be able to buy it somewhere in the stores

I think that the major hurdle is HJ making the game himself, instead of it being a simple, typical LEGO game.

Is there really any substance in the rumor about a cancelled AC 2 wave? The only thing I have seen is a photo on this forum with some alien ships and adu forces including figures, which look like the hazmat guy and the galaxy patrol of cmf. But if you look closer, everythink looks similar to set, which whre on the first (sadly also so last) wave of AC, so it seems to me, that this photo ist just a concept of the first wave and hazmat and gp just didn´t make it into thefinal sets.

So there is some hope that your 3rd point isn´t that relevant.

Personally I fear that this project is becomming to big. As far as I andestood, they are also working also on a videogame (hopefully appropiate for children), and more aliens and even on a sub theme called space navy (which seems to be lead by somework I would call an incalculable risk). I wish, they would first finish some set like the buggy or fighter they already did, and after they finished the core of the project, start making somethink around. Not the other way.

And last. I really really, love this project and hope that in the future I will be able to buy it somewhere in the stores

The picture shown in the AC thread was shown off by Marc Stafford, the TLG designer. He confirmed that it was early art, still set on earth, but that later in the design they had decided to move it to the Aliens world. This is further backed up by a teaser that was on the Lego AC web site indicating that next we would take the fight to them or something similar. The final kicker for my third point is that Galaxy Patrol figure. That armor chest piece was made with the intent of being used. What else would they use it for? We have the lead designer telling us what they intended and showing off unseen concept art. We have new elements that were clearly created with that production or something similar in mind, and we had some early and vague marketing teasers regarding it. While not legally binding proof, it's enough to support taking their word for it. Something was pretty far along in development that this art and elements were created for. It looks like it was cancelled just before production. ( the new molds were made). And whatever it was, there is a good chance it dances close enough to the Space Marines to cause either a conflict, or at least some extra debate. All of which diminishes the chances of this specific Space Marines project passing review.

Edited by Faefrost

I'm wondering: with Space navy and all that, will there also be a space airforce (kind of a silly question but still)? Anyway, here's a more detailed wave planning concept:

Wave 0: pilot Cuusoo set for testing of concept as a theme.

Wave 1: Basic wave, Gen 1 Space marine vehicles (current concepts) and singular Space navy fig(s).

Wave 2: Gen 1 Space marine vehicles and HQ, Gen 1 Space navy vehicles (basic ships), first Space army figs.

Wave 3: Gen 1 Space marine vehicles, Gen 1 Space navy vehicles (larger ships), Gen 1 Space army vehicles (turrets, heavy weapons).

Wave 4: Gen 2 Space marine vehicles (more advanced weapons and vehicles in general), Gen 2 Space navy vehicles, Gen 2 Space army vehicles (GIGANTIC weapons), Space marines special ops figs (purple).

Wave 5: Gen 2 Space marine vehicles, Gen 2 Space navy vehicles, Gen 2 Space army vehicles, Gen 2 Space marines special ops vehicles (essentially larger, more powerful and generally better versions of Space marine vehicles).

Wave 6: Gen 2 Space marine vehicles, Gen 2 Space navy vehicles, Gen 2 Space army vehicles, Gen 2 Space marines special ops vehicles.

I'm wondering: with Space navy and all that, will there also be a space airforce (kind of a silly question but still)?

Not a silly question at al as an 'Airforce' could be part of the Navy, Army or Marines branches.

The Marines allready have a flyer for example.

I would guess the Marines will have close support air vehicles and orbit to surface dropships, while the Navy has fast attack and anti aircraft vehicles and the Army would have the heavy bombers and surface to surface troop transports.

But i could see some interchangability for some types of craft as the Army would have a use for close support craft and the Marines would have a use for surface to surface transports.

Edited by BasOne

Not a silly question at al as an 'Airforce' could be part of the Navy, Army or Marines branches.

The Marines allready have a flyer for example.

I would guess the Marines will have close support air vehicles and orbit to surface dropships, while the Navy has fast attack and anti aircraft vehicles and the Army would have the heavy bombers and surface to surface troop transports.

But i could see some interchangability for some types of craft as the Army would have a use for close support craft and the Marines would have a use for surface to surface transports.

Just like today's military (or America's military, at least), each service has its own air elements. There's no "Space Air Force," though; the closest to it would be the Navy's Starfighter Command, which handles all the space-to-ground bombers and dogfighting.

Just like today's military (or America's military, at least), each service has its own air elements. There's no "Space Air Force," though; the closest to it would be the Navy's Starfighter Command, which handles all the space-to-ground bombers and dogfighting.

But in Sci-Fi everything schanges, as it's your imagination that decides what's what.

In Warhammer 40.000 all flyers are part of the navy, there is no army (imperial Guard) airforce (axcept for a few units like the Phantine Air Corps), And the Space Marines use their own aircraft without using the Navy's types or the navy using the Space Marine vehicles.

In other Sci Fi like Star Trek and Star Wars it's less defined as there are no specific branches, everyone is part of the one big group, be it The Federation in Star Trek, or The Empire / Rebel Alliance / The Remnant / New Republic in Star Wars.

But as This is your idea Nick, you decide what's what, we are just the drones that follow :laugh:

I'm not trying to hew excessively close to present-day military doctrine; I'm just using what I know and considering the cultural context of the future. Sure, there might not be a logical reason for every service to have its air element, but tradition, legislative pork-barreling, and so forth will undoubtedly contribute to such conditions in the future.

I'm not trying to hew excessively close to present-day military doctrine; I'm just using what I know and considering the cultural context of the future. Sure, there might not be a logical reason for every service to have its air element, but tradition, legislative pork-barreling, and so forth will undoubtedly contribute to such conditions in the future.

It might be nice if you hammer out a hyargy heiargy (i hate that word) of the branches, like.

Army

- Armoured Devision

- Mobile Troop

- Artillery

- Infantry

- Support devision

Navy

- Ship Command (Capital ships)

- Starfighter Command (space)

- Starfighter Command (ground)

- Support Fleet (Fleet Logistics)

Marines

- Air support devision

- Transport Devision (dropships)

- Armoured Devision

- Scout Devision

- Marine Devision

Army Armoured devision

- Command Vehicle

- 8 -10 Main Battle Tanks

Marine Tactical Airwing

- 6 Squadrons Heavy Attack Flyers

Something like that.

A structure to the branches.

That is, if you can find the time to do something like that :laugh:

Maybe you can even find a place for a Mobile base.....

Teaser shot :grin:

mbase.png

Edited by BasOne

Needs a larger cannon :laugh:. Or at least to be accurate to official LEGO sets :hmpf:. And maybe some more trans. And more red.

Edited by DraikNova

And here are some images and video of the latest set idea:

That I think is almost perfect. 3 Marines and a nice drop pod. It is a nice tight set using mainly existing elements, and not a theme unto itself. It enhances rather than competes with existing or in development themes. It both has an obvious story behind it, while being broad enough to let the buyers interpret as they wish. And it is a battle pack essentially, so fans can stock up on it and make their own army. Just perfect. I think that is something that they would make without a second thought.

That drop pod is awesome, both in concept and execution. I'm loving this. I really hope LEGO sees as much potential here as we do. :thumbup: