Sign in to follow this  
Nobleman

Suddenly! A wild NOBLEMAN appears!

Hello everyone! My name's Vlad.

(Suddenly! A wall of text appears!)

I used to be an avid LEGO builder when I was a kid, playing all the time, each day, for weeks, months and years to no end. LEGO was the only thing I wanted, the only thing I ever needed since I got my first set at the age of 3. And that continued well into my early teens, when I reached the pinnacle of what can I do with what I have - a huge, modular spaceship.

It had 3 modules: nose/pilot cabin, crew quarters, tail with a cargo bay. You could put nose together with a tail and it would fit seamlessly. I utilized parts with pins for that, which was quite magical stuff for me back then :D How big was that spaceship? Over a meter in length, and about half meter wide, it could fit over 30 minifigs, 2 jeeps and equipment boxes and there would be space for more. It could be placed on wheels (and it had over 40 wheels) or stand upright for launch. And it was that - the best and biggest I could build. I used almost everything I had to make it. I didn't want to take it apart. It was too good to be taken apart. And so it just stood there, on display, for a few years. Then came time to move to a different apartment. To my horror, one side of the spaceship changed color from the sun. I put it in a huge box, together with all the crew that were still smiling with their amazing little faces and other parts and personally carried it to the new place, where it was stored away from everything that could harm it. "I'll be back" I said. And it sat there, too important to live, too good to die... With that, I entered my dark ages.

Fast forward almost a decade.

A few months ago I was sorting my old stuff and this little guy (there was an url, which I can't post yet) fell out from one of the boxes through a hole. Upon exploring further I rediscovered my forgotten treasure. All my LEGO people were still sitting there, still smiling, still waiting for me to return. Childhood memories zerg-rushed me and I wept like a little girl apologizing to little plastic men and women for not coming back sooner.

And then I took spaceship apart. Without death there would be no life, without destruction there would be no creation and while it was, my passion couldn't be. And with that dark ages ended, and age of enlightenment began. But now I'm a grown man who has his own money for LEGO.

Phew, feels good to share that with someone.

I came across this site looking for some building techniques. So, HI! I'll be sticking around.

PS: most of the minifig faces look awful nowadays. How did this trend start?

PPS: English is my third language, I apologize if I'm unclear about something or seem unfriendly.

PPPS: I should make a LEGO nobleman of some sort for the avatar, now that I think of it. But eh, camera doesn't work.

Welcome to the site. It is a great source for all things Lego. You will definitely find some good building techniques here.

I think plastic tends to discolor with age anyway, even if it wasn't in the sun. All of mine have been in plastic totes for about 15 years nowhere near the sun or rubbing against each other and the whites have discolored like crazy. Oh well, they have cleaning tips on this site too.

As far as the new faces. I rather like them. The original smiley does have some charm to it, but the new faces do add a little depth/detail to an otherwise monotonous field. But I like both and interchange them willingly.