Has anyone a simple way to place a motor for steering in extreame cruiser 8081 without rebuilding the whole model?

Thanks

David

Hi David, I motorised my (reverse engineered) copy of the 8081, and while I didn't have to completely rebuild it, some modifications to the frame did have to be made. You can check out some pics in my BrickShelf gallery.

015.jpg

I did find that there was quite a bit of movement in the gears and steering links though, so the steering was a bit vague, and there is no return to centre.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are after, but hopefully it helps a bit.

Edited by Splat

Louskam has motorized his Lego Technic 8081 Extreme Cruiser set -- see this Eurobricks post for details. He built his in white, and would involve a complete rebuild of your existing vehicle, however.

Nuno2500 has posted his 21-step Lego Technic 8081 "Easy Power Functions Motorization" on his Brickshelf gallery. That one looks simpler. :classic:

Louskam has motorized his Lego Technic 8081 Extreme Cruiser set -- see this Eurobricks post for details. He built his in white, and would involve a complete rebuild of your existing vehicle, however.

Nuno2500 has posted his 21-step Lego Technic 8081 "Easy Power Functions Motorization" on his Brickshelf gallery. That one looks simpler. :classic:

Great mod just finished it and works a treat thanks dluder :)

@ davidmull: I'm thinking about motorizing my Lego Technic 8081 set too. Which version did you use -- Louskam's or Nuno2500's? Any problems with the pictures they provided?

@ davidmull: I'm thinking about motorizing my Lego Technic 8081 set too. Which version did you use -- Louskam's or Nuno2500's? Any problems with the pictures they provided?

I used nuno2500 one,it's simple and works great,xl motor provides great torque and the steering is so simple and works great with the rubber band to centre it,the pictures are very good just go by the numbers ;)

Great mod just finished it and works a treat thanks dluder :)

Hi I am new to LEGO's and 8081 is my first LEGO set. Can you please tell me where to buy the gears and motors. And is there a guide for it. thanks

@ Raven56: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: Bricklink.com is the best source to get various Lego parts. Using its "Catalog" function, you can select Lego Electric Motors here and Lego Technic Gears here. Bricklink is the "Unofficial Lego Marketplace" -- there are vendors worldwide. Be sure to visit the Bricklink Help Center to find out how the site works.

Hello! I have made an update to my 8081 MOD. Now is so much stronger and gears can deal with XL motor power.

You can see it here: CLICK

Edited by nuno2500