Sandy

Heroica RPG - Training Room

Amorith walks into the training room and walks straight for the copper fox.

"I wish to become a sage." He says bluntly

"Is that it? No deep discussion on your motivations?"

"No"

"Well then, lets begin."

After a few hours Amorith leaves the training room as a sage.

6540971895_387684ee2a_t.jpg

Amorith Marvelo (Played by legobodgers)

Level 16 Sage

Power: 25 (16+8+1) (30 for spells)

Health: 26/26

Ether: 22/22

SP: 6

Gold: 215

Equipment: Dual staff (WP: 8) damages 2 enemies in one hit, Crow-Cursed Cloak (SP: 6 Suitable for Mages or Rogues), Spellbound Gloves (Power of Spell +5 (*2 if weak))

Inventory: Fang Dagger (WP: 5), opal (ice), ruby (fire), garnet (earth), diamond (light), amethyst (darkness), 4 potions, 9 tonics, 4 remedies, 1 elixir, 3 nostrums, 5 mead, 1 Nostrum, ice bomb, smoke bomb, shovel, bedroll, 4 bones, Scroll of Blindness, Fire Bomb, Phoenix Essence, Newtralizer, Scroll of Sealing, Smelling Salts, Helmet (+1 HP), Halberd (WP: 5) x2, Sword (WP 3) x2, Mulled Wine

Edited by legobodgers

Dreyrugr walks into the training room. He looks around for a while before walking to Copper Fox.

"Ah yes, the vampire. What could I do for you?'

"I was a bit pathetic in my last quest. Despite my years I was careless and cut down between two people using teamwork. I need training to avoid that happening again."

"Yes, that can happen. It's too bad our own hero's cannot display the same teamwork sometimes. So let's see. Your vampiric abilities would already give you an edge in agility and strength. A raider? Hit your opponents hard while taking their money in speed which they cannot react. A witch, sorcerer? No that wouldn't build on your abilities. A black knight? WIth a knight's training both killing and defending would come at ease. An assassin? Yes, I could see you cut many in an instant."

"A black knight I think. In the times I cannot move out of the way, some armour would be nice to protect me."

"Very well. Don't pick up a shield. That part will come naturally. Let's stick with the offensive. Try and hit me."

Copper fox throws over a sword to Dreyrugr and picks up one himself. Dreyrugr lunges but even his vampiric agility was no match for this mans experience. They swing, parry and exchange blows. Dreyrugr swings like an ammetuer despite his years. The fox however gracefully swings with style and grace. One could tell at a glance he had earned his place. As this carries on Dreyrugr starts to get tired. He looks at copper fox who is still looking as before the practise.

This isn't working.

As Copper Fox's next slice come down Dreyrugr catches it in his hand. It was a real sword and pain shots through his hand but Copper Fox's side was wide open. Dreyrugr sends a stab to Copper Fox but he simply smiles as he lets go of his sword, while jumping back and picking up another.

"That is the mindset you need to get your opponent open for a blow, but you need to overwhelm them with power. What is your darkness? Bring it to life. Use it."

My darkness?

Dreyrugr looked inside his memories. He saw himself in different places. Observing life. Watching things go by. He looks further back to see more of the same thing. But things weren't always like this. When did he become an observer? Once he was full of life. Laughing, exploring, he had determination. The years had dimmed that fire, but it was still there. He looks to the beggining of his life. He found joy, happiness through the fog. Right next to it he found pain, sadness, loss, regret, ANGER. That memory back there, was all he needed.

Dreyrugr starts running towards Copper Fox as a Dark aura wraps around his blade. He goes for a slash, but this was a cunning fox. Copper moves the tip of his sword to the handle of Dreyrugr's as he pushes causing Dreyrugr's entire blade of energy to be harmlessly flinged to the side. He then slowly moves his sword towards Dreyrugr.

Come on, move.

Dreyrugr could do nothing as the fox tapped him with the flat.

"Well done, you manages to materialise your darkness. And you have the proper mindset for the style of a black knight. You have the basics, learn the rest. Even in heavy armour I'd say you can still dodge your opponents most powerful strikes. I'd invest in some armour worthy of a black knight. It will make sure you can still parry an opponents attack after shooting a powerful strike that didn't quite make it."

Dreyrugr thanks the strange man and leaves, A Black Knight.

photo-thumb-28776.jpg?_r=1353304201Dreyrugr (Vash the Stampede)

1000 year old Male Vampire Rogue Black Knight

Level 16

Power: 22 (Level 16+Weapon 6)

Defense: 0

Health: 36/36 (Rogue Base 7+ Level Bonus 15 + Class Bonus 9+5 Raw Meat)

*Sarge enters the training room*

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg" If you have any personal aspirations, prophecies of your greatness or dreams you might have been thinking of sharing with me.... Bugger off. That's my PA's job. My job is to train so how can I help you?"

"When I was seven dreamed I was a frog." :devil: "But I'm here to become a black knight"

9095258030_f9cd21c4f2_c.jpg

9095364364_bc9238972a_o.jpg

Sgt Jon. McEncy (Skyrimguy)

Level 16 Black knight

Power: 33 (Level 16 + Wp:17)

Health: 34/34 (Basic health 7 + Class bonus 9 + Level bonus 15 + Porkchop 3)

Edited by Pyrovisionary

As Thalion enters the Training Room, a figure appears from what seemed out of nowhere, "Greetings young mage, I am Copper Fox the Jack-of-all-trades; I suppose you are here to train? Well you do seem to have enough experience, so what path would you like to take next."

Thalion looked the man in the eye, "I would like to train as a sorcerer!"

Copper Fox looked at him, "A sorcerer? I think you would make a better Sage, but as you say..."

After a short time spent in training, Copper Fox showed Thalion some new techniques, "Your training is complete. I am sure you will make a fine Sorcerer, but should you ever decide that path of a Sorcerer is not for you don't hesitate to come back, I am sure you would make an equally fine Sage or a Mystic Knight."

Thalion bowed in gratitude, "Thank you master Copper Fox." And left the Training Room.

1aa.jpg

Thalion Dwinlas (-obelix-)

Level 18 Sorcerer

Power: 23 (Level 18 + WP:5)

Health: 26 (Base 5 + Level 17 + Class 4)

Ether: 23 (Base 5 + Level 17 + Class 1)

After leaving the Heroica Hall, Alexander enters in the Training Room.

"Ah, a new one in search for training." says Copper Fox seeing Alexaner entering the Training Room.

"Hello, I'm Alexander Vandangant and I would like became an Hunter."

"Are you sure of your decision? A ranger could become a Druid, a Warden, an Evoker or even an Assassin."

"Yes, I'm sure of my decision; I want to improve my ability with the bow, in the ranged attacks and in the pursuit of a trace."

Then, Alexander starts his training as a Hunter and after some time, Copper Fox says: "Well, I think you are ready to be a good Hunter."

"Thanks you, Copper Fox." replys Alexander and letf the Training Room.

heroica_2.jpg

Alexander Vandangant (Wedge09)

99 years old elf Hunter

Level 15

Power: 21 (LVL 15+WP 6)

Defense: 5 (Chevalier of Charis armor + Tricorne)

Health: 28/28 (Base 6 + Level 14 + Class 6 + 1 artifact)

Edited by Wedge09

Benji strides into the training room. He winces as The Copper Fox's eyes look at him disapprovingly.

CF: "Here again!? Benji, you come here far too often. Yes yes I know inner struggle and all that crap, but just stop being so wishy-washy!"

BC: "Hey! Bu-"

CF: "Listen to me, lad. The path of indecisiveness will only lead to failure. I once knew a young halfling who-"

BC: "Fox, listen to m-"

CF: "Stop interrupting me, boy! I vehemently and absolutely refuse to train you to be a warden - again. Its just an utter-"

BC: "FOX!!"

CF: "..."

BC: "I WISH TO BE NEITHER WARDEN OR ASSASSIN. LIFE HAS PLAYED ITS GAMES WITH ME, AND I HAve discovered that I need to roll with the punches. I'm turning into a beast, Fox. ... Only you can help me control it."

CF: "..."

BC: "Copper Fox, you're my only hope." (tear added for dramatic effect)

CF: "Oh alright. For pete's sake, you know I never could say no to you, Benji. You're a good kid. Problematic perhaps, but a good heart." He taps on Benji's heart and smiles in a fatherly manner.

Benji learns with the Fox how to control his bestial side, and how to switch between man and beast in combat. Soon enough, Benji is able to comfortably switch between his two forms. He had become ... a Beast Warrior.

9173297472_29b826fb9a_z.jpg

9173297646_e66d93ed81_o.jpgBenji Carvenhall, the Dragonslayer (Flare)

28 years old male half-elven Beast Warrior

Level 32.75 *Natural Respite* *Gains Triple XP* *Immune to Asleep, Blinded, Confused, Fragile, and Weakened Effects and Wood Element*

Power: 50 (32+15+3)

Defense: 9 (3+6)

Health: 53/53 (6+31+15+1)

Edited by Flare

Karie slowly strolls into the large room, trying to wrap her head around the massive amount of weapons and practice targets pushed into the corners of the room. she walks towards a lone man, reading a book apparently relaxing in the centre of the room, sitting in a chair. Karie stops in front of him and stares him over.

"Um, hello?"

The man looks up from his book, taking his time to look Karie over.

"Let me guess: by definition, you're a rogue?" Karie nods. The man gets up and heads for a rack of hulking great swords and tosses one at her feet. "Get your stance ready."

"I'm sorry?"

The man looks back. "You want to be a Raider, correct? Most rogues go the route of a raider."

Karie nods in disagreement. "So you're a trainer?"

The man laughs. "Yeah, I suppose so. The Copper Fox is what people around here call me. So, you don't want to go raider, eh? How about assassin?"

Karie looks about. "No, I couldn't see myself killing for money. It seems too... Wolfgangy."

"Hmm." The Copper Fox ponders for a bit. "You wouldn't be intrigued in black knight, would you?"

"Not with the armour, no. That and their all a bunch of jerks." Karie responds.

"True, true. So we have two classes left, both ether based. Sorcerer?"

"I would... If I had more gems." Karie lifts up her sole gem she owns, the Copper Fox looking on in dismay.

"Well, what about Witch?"

"What, you mean like the ones that fly around on broomsticks and steal children?"

The Copper Fox gives a worried look. "This is going to take awhile, I can tell."

The morning goes by quickly, turning into midday and afternoon, but the Copper Fox manages to somehow teach Karie about Ether, the art of healing, and how to effectively use poison.

8877535867_177092f7d4_o.jpg

Karie Alderflask (Played by Kintobor)

22 year old Human Witch, lvl 15.5

Power: 21 (lvl 15 + WP: 6)

Health: 29/29

Ether: 15/15

Gold: 331

Defence: 0

Edited by Kintobor

Thormanil pokes his head into the Training Hall once again and looks around for the Copper Fox.

"Uh, hullo? Fox? I got a letter from the Shadeaux suggesting I stop by. They said you'd have somethin' for me."

*Prior to Thormanil arriving in the Training Room*

As Arthur leaves through the door he had frozen earlier, what he had earlier taken for a cloth-covered crate suddenly seems to rise up of its own accord. Arthur moves for his weapon, before realizing that the figure revealed was none other than the Copper Fox. "I take it you saw what happened...before...then?"

The Copper Fox smiles reassuringly. "Not my place to interfere. You kept things well in hand. But I wanted to talk about you, Arthur. You seem...dissatisfied with your current skill set."

Arthur gives the Copper Fox an appraising, slightly concerned look. "Just how much of the conversation in the Hall do you Veterans monitor?"

Fox laughs. "Both more and less than you'd imagine. But your caution serves you well." He allows the moment to pass before asking, "So, are you going to ask me for training, or are you going to try and become a Mystic Knight all by yourself?"

Arthur raises an appreciative eyebrow. Fox grins.

"Your diplomacy is impressive even without a shield to back it up. It was the obvious choice." He pulls out his weapon, a halberd that seems improbably large to have been hidden so completely. "Ready to begin?"

The battle was swift and fierce. Arthur's elemental blasts continued to stagger the Copper Fox, but the Veteran took hit after hit and still kept charging. Arthur's roguish skills allowed him to retreat and dodge, but his spells had little effect on his opponent, and the Veteran's far-reaching weapon prevented Arthur from getting enough distance to throw his horseshoe properly--and without his familiar robe, he found himself both exposed and short on Ether. Arthur soon found himself on the defensive, backed into the Marketplace.

"Come on, Regulus, stand up to me! If not for yourself, then for those you wish to protect!"

A changed gleam enters the Watchman's eyes. At the next opportunity, Arthur backs against a table of Anwyl's goods--when the Copper Fox's next blow strikes, Arthur coolly leans out of the way, the halberd catching the edge of an arm-mounted shield and throwing the now-dented plate high into the air. Arthur leaps acrobatically, first to the table, then boosting off the staff portion of the halberd as it belatedly stabbed straight toward him. Arthur pivots sharply, his back arching into a backflip over the Copper Fox's head as he catches the shield in midair. He lands in a crouch, his new shield protecting his body from the savage blow the Veteran aims at him with his backswing. As he backs toward Fabian's stall, he continues to fend off hit after hit as he removes the heavy Coat-of Arms from his pack. Off-balance from this action, however, the Veteran's next blow sends Arthur reeling into Fabian's furnace, prompting a cry of alarm from the disturbed Elven owner.

He needn't have bothered. Arthur's entire body lights with a surge of Etherial energy, both the shield and the armor gleaming with an identical glow of enchantment as the mage climbs out of the flames. Grabbing a small trinket from a rack to throw at the Veteran, he uses the opening to finish placing the armor on himself, slapping a sparking badge onto the breast as he moves to follow up the attack with Ammit, his newest weapon gleaming like a supernova.

To his surprise, Fox evades the blow and swings the butt end of the weapon up into the younger man's face, forcing him to stumble backwards. The next thing Arthur knows, the agile Veteran is behind him, the pointed tip of his weapon ready to impale the Watchman. With no time to do anything else, Arthur commands a bolt of lightning to erupt from his gem, through his body, and out through his blade, turning the momentum of his fall into a spinning attack. The Etherial energy bursts out of him, far stronger than he had ever imagined, transforming into a raging whirlwind of elemental energy that tears the weapon from the Copper Fox's grasp and sends the man flying into the side of Portia's shack. The storm tears a hole in Arthur's money back, the golden coins scattering around the Marketplace as they rained to the ground.

At last, the energy fades, and, stowing his blade, Arthur offers a hand to the fallen Veteran. Fox grins as he lets the younger man help him up. "Now that is a Spellspin. I see you learned well from Ablesword, Private Regulus." Arthur nods, still unwilling to accept the praise for his awesome display of power. He bends to pick up his scattered coin, but Fox stops him. "No need," the Veteran says, pressing a new bag on him. "I took the liberty of preparing a few things that might help you in your next Quest. I'll make sure the right people are properly paid."

Arthur smiles, and makes to leave, but as he reaches the exit Copper Fox calls out to him. "Oh, and one more thing." Fox grabs a Bedroll from Gnomeo's shed and tosses it to the Mystic Knight. "There's a new Hero on your Quest. Watch out for him, will you?" Arthur nods, and with that he is on his way.

Thormanil pokes his head into the Training Hall once again and looks around for the Copper Fox.

"Uh, hullo? Fox? I got a letter from the Shadeaux suggesting I stop by. They said you'd have somethin' for me."

Copper Fox turns to see Thormanil Nihai, the vertically-challenged giant, at the door of the Training Hall.

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg

"Ah, yes. Your experience and reputation among the Shadeaux family has allowed you to learn the secrets of becoming a Dragoon. Remember, this is not a transition to take lightly - you will become a companion of a dragon, one of the proudest and most capricious creatures in the entire world. How well you two will come along all depends on your devotion and caretaking. You will have to form a bond of trust and dedication with your pet dragon, he or she is not a spirit or a mindless undead corpse you can control with magic to do your every whim. You have to earn the dragon's respect, and likewise he or she will have to learn to respect you. If you are willing to accept all this, Mr. Nihai, then follow me."

The Copper Fox takes the giant out of the Training Room and downstairs to the cellars. He then puts a blindfold on him.

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg

"Do not peek, now. You'd make the Dragonlord very angry if you did, and you don't want to make him angry at least until you have a full-grown dragon on your side as well."

The Veteran leads Thormanil through several more corridors, doors and stairs, until they come to what feels a vast, open space with a very hot climate. The Copper Fox instructs Thormanil to take off his blindfold, and much to his surprise, the giant sees that they have arrived to the lair of a great, green dragon, who is lying on a pile of gold.

heroicaquest44-smaragdea.jpg

"Welcome to my lair, noble hero. I am Smaragdea. Don't be touching any of this gold here, you hear?"

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg

"Now don't be getting any wrong ideas, Mr. Nihai. This is The Dragonlord's companion, not yours. What we seek has been given for Smaragdea to take care of."

The dragon moves a bit to reveal a bunch of colorful eggs that she kept under her.

heroicaquest44-smaragdea.jpg

"Yes, these little babies were transported from Charis by Count Shadeaux as a token of gratitude for those Heroicans who have served his family well. I've kept them nice and warm, but they will hatch as soon as a potential companion is found. Now, come hither, warrior, and choose carefully. Which one of these little ones are you drawn to?"

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg

"Remember my words. Once you choose, you're stuck with it for life."

There are seven eggs nested in the pile of gold, in the colors of red, green, blue, black, white, brown and gold. Which one would Thormanil take?

For the first time in a long time, Thormanil found himself at a complete loss for words. Though he knew he had nothing to fear from Smaragdea, he was unable to bring himself to walk forwards at first. The Copper Fox's words rang in his ear. This was a lifelong commitment to another being. Slowly, his fear turned to giddiness and hope. This young creature would be more than a pet, it could, no, it would be his closest friend. The Fox was right. This was an important decision. So Thormanil stood there, pondering, but it wasn't long before he realized the decision was not his to make. One of the eggs stood out to him more than the others. It was as if it were calling to him, inviting him to free it from its shell. The little dragonling within this egg had chosen him and awaited Thormanil's acceptance. As he held the egg..

He wakes as if from a trance. Sure enough, while lost in thought, he had approached the eggs and picked up the blue one. Had he actually been chosen by the egg, willed towards it and driven to pick it up? Before he could question this first encounter much more, the egg, warm in his hands, began to crack. Fracturing more and more, the shell finally shatters, revealing a small dragonling.

9394458519_4bc0f05f51_o.png

"Very small," Thormy thinks to himself, "tiny, even for a dragon."

"Well uh.. hey there lil guy. He is a he, right?" he looks to Smaragdea, who nods. "First things first... Yer needin' a name! Hmm.. How d'ya like 'Rex'?" The little hatchling shakes its head fervently. "Right then! Not Rex!" he chuckles, "Tiny?" again the hatchling shakes its head. Thormanil pauses to think. He remembers the great wyvern of the bog, leaving rot and waste wherever it tread. And the obsidian dragon of the fields, brutish, capable of leaving a trail of ashes. This little one would not grow up to be vile and cruel like them. He would not allow it. No, this one would be raised to be a great dragon, large and powerful despite his small size at birth. Perhaps even greater than Smaragdea, if not in Thormanil's lifetime. But their time together would lay the framework. Together, the two of them would stand as a bulwark for their allies to rally behind. They would be the greatest team this land had seen in generations. They would, they had to be. Thormanil knew it.

"Alright, lil one. Your name'll be 'Arx' and we're gonna do great things together."

Arx's eyes lit up. For a moment, Thormanil could have sworn the little hatchling was smiling at him. With visible effort, Arx flapped his wings and tried to fly to Thormanil's shoulder but only managed a few inches above his hands. He picked Arx up and let him climb onto his back. Remembering that he was still in the presence of Smaragdea and the Copper Fox, he turned back to them.

"Smaragdea, this gift, it's beyond anything I coulda imagined. I swear to ya I'll do my best to raise Arx right."

Saying his last to Smaragdea, the Copper Fox motions him back towards the way in. Donning the blindfold again, Thormanil is led back to the Training Room where he thanks the Copper Fox once more before taking Arx for his first trip to the Marketplace.

7928526094_0c2174ef6b_t.jpg9394458519_4bc0f05f51_o.png

Thormanil Nihai, Dragonslayer (Played by swils), and Arx the Hatchling

Level 30.5 Dragoon *Immune to Darkness, Wood, Bound, and Slowed*

Power Bonus: +1 (+1 Q4)

Defense: 8 (0 Base + 5 Shield + 3 Artefacts + 0 Extra)

Health: 53 (8 Base + 29 Level-Ups + 15 Raider + 0 Artefacts + 1 Extra)

Ether: 0 (Etherless Class)

Edited by swils

Arasmyth's eyes jolted open as he sat up as fast as if he were spring loaded. He sharply inhaled a deep breath of air as he surveyed his surroundings.

uhru.jpg

yh2q.jpg

"Where am I?" he muttered to himself, looking around. He appeared to be sitting atop a cloud, with blue skies and more fluffy white masses of water vapor as far as the eye could see.

"You're dead, of course," came a distinctly feminine voice.

"Who-"

"Me. I said that. My name's Sera."

fwqp.jpg

Looking across the clouds, Arasmyth noticed a woman sitting on one of them holding a halberd. She had an unnervingly cheerful smile, and perhaps more strikingly, a pair of white, feathered wings sprouting from her back. Slightly taken aback, Arasmyth began to introduce himself. "I'm-"

zarg.jpg

"Arasmyth RuGard, elven aeromancer extraordinaire? I know who you are."

"Then you have me at a disadvantage, because I have no idea what's going on right now. The last thing I remember was being knocked out by the Akkaban Archivist."

"Ouch. That wasn't a KO, he got you. Kicked your bucket, so to speak. You're deader than dead. This is the entrance to the afterlife, pearly gates that-a-way."

"Well that sucks cockatrice balls. Are you supposed to show me in?" Arasmyth asked, a trace of bitterness in his voice.

"Oh, no. I'm your "guardian angel", so to speak. I guide and protect you under jurisdiction of Ethereth, God of Magic. Did you really think your destiny was to go down fighting a nerd with a needlessly large rod? Nay, there are great things out there just waiting for you to accomplish them. Your true part in the grand scheme of things is larger than you could have imagined. I'm going to send you back to Olegaia to give you a second chance at fulfilling it. Of course, I'm not going to tell you what it is. That'd be too easy, huh? :tongue: "

"Well, this is great news! I shall swoop down from the heavens like the winds I control, wreaking vengeance upon Akkaba's followers."

"Oh, no. It's been like a year since you died, your party already avenged you."

"What the hell. How has it already been a year?"

"Time passes differently for dead people."

"Ugh. Whatever. Just send me back, OK?" Arasmyth held up his hand and snapped his fingers, hoping tocloak his hand in roiling wind magic. Instead, it glowed with a faint blue light, then sputtered out.

rjef.jpg

"What the-? My magic's not working!" He cried, trying again and again failing. "What's going on?"

"Ooh. That's not good."

"Not good? Understatement of the year. How can I continue my Heroican career with no magic?"

"Well, you're an elf, aren't you? Can't you use a bow?"

"I don't appreciate your gross stereotyping of my race."

"Sorry. But I can't do anything for you, you're going to have to figure out the magic on your own... but if you do get into a tough spot, you could always try summoning me. As an Angel of Wrath, I can control divine lightning. Just offer a quick prayer and I'll come down and help you in battle. Now, time to get you back into the living world."

"And how will you do-"

"Teehee."

"Fu-"

69xv.jpg

Sera flew over to Arasmyth, grabbed his arm, and yanked him off the cloud he was on, sending him plummeting earthward. After what seemed like forever, he landed with a thud in front of the massive oaken doors to Heroica Hall. Standing up and dusting himself off, he prepared to enter.

2qg8.jpg

Arasmyth RuGard (played by Kadabra)

214 Year Old Elven Evoker

Level 15.5

Power: 23

Defense: 3

Health: 22/22

Ether: 20/20

Gold: 432

Equipment: Sapphire Staff (WP:6, Wind Elemental), Robe of the Elven Warlock (SP:3)

Inventory: Topaz (x2), Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Potion, Smoke Bomb, Water Bomb, Trickster's Mask of the Gender Swap

Summon: ci1p.jpg Sera, Angel of Wrath (Lightning elemental)

Sarge enters the training room for the second time, though this time he is wearing no armour, but a cape.

"I need to learn how to heal." Sarge had presented a statement, not a question.

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg

"But you made such a good black knight! :cry2:"

"And now I got to look after my health. Boo bleeding hoo." :hmpf_bad:

*Dramatic-2000-word-training-extravaganza-essay*

9689106832_b580bd4779.jpg

9685868729_511c0e1a07_o.jpg

Sgt Jon. Mcency (Skyrimguy)

54 years old male human witch

Level 18 1/2 *Dual Strike* *Immune to blinded* *Hastened*

Power: 35 (18+17)

Health: 35/35 (7+17+9+3)

Ether: 18/18

Edited by Pyrovisionary

Jeaux wandered into the Training room. Finally refreshed from his recent trip to the cemetery. He had been working for Heroica for a short while now and decided it was about time to see about applying this experience to improving his skills. As he entered, he was greeted by one of Heroica's Veterans, the copper fox.

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg"Greetings, you must be looking for me. I must say, I've trained a lot of people here, but none quite like you before."

Heroica01.jpg"I don't suppose you have. To my knowledge there are none quite like me in this world. I have come to see if I might improve my abilities with your guidance."

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg"Of course, follow me."

The copper fox lead Jeaux outside to a training area, with a target set up a ways off.

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg"I want you to shoot that target."

Jeaux unslung the newly acquired handcannon from his shoulder and withdrew a flask from within his briefcase. He had removed the top of the flask and was just about to load the powder into his cannon when the copper fox stopped him.

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg

"You won't need to load it. You will be using your gemstone instead. I want you to aim at the target and focus. Imagine a blot of lightning arcing from your body to your destination. Imagine the air popping from the heat of the blast, the hairs on your... on my head standing on end from the energy in the air. I can sense the magic in you and if you can picture it in your mind than you can make it happen."

Aiming.jpg

Jeaux took aim at his target and began to concentrate. He pictured his attack in his mind's eye and watched as a bolt of lightning struck the target he was aiming at.

LightningAttack.jpg

He could hardly believe it. He had seen plenty of mage's utilize these attacks before, but he never thought it was something he was capable of especially now.

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg

"Very good. Now for the next step of your training. I want you to again focus on your gemstone, but this time picture a manifestation of the element."

Jeaux began to concentrate once more, but his mind began to wander. How could an artificial creation still have a connection to the ethereal energies of this world. Was there more of his soul left than Nilrem had let on, or perhaps there was more power in a soul than Jeaux had realized before. It was difficult to believe, but how could the magical energy required to perform such feats arise from the body of an automaton.

Summon.jpg

With that thought an enormous machine appeared in front of Jeaux. It was clad with a yellow armor and had two odd appendages that seemed more like cannons than hands. In the center of the torso was a round sphere with a glowing yellow eye. If the appearance of this creation wasn't enough to startle Jeaux, the voice when it spoke was.

Nilrem_ava.jpg"Hell Yeah! I'm back baby! Large and in charge. And, HOLY CRAP! I have, like, giant lightning guns for hands."

Jeaux looked on at the enormous automaton that had appeared out of nowhere. The voice resembled that of the wizard he had come to know well before arriving at Heroica. The voice that told him he was no longer human. The machine seemed to be pointing his cannons at things, pretending to blow them up.

Nilrem_ava.jpg"KERCHOW! KERCHOW! Oh, hi nice to meet you, care to shake my hand KERCHOW! I think I could get used to th-"

Just as suddenly as the machine had appeared, he disappeared. The energy that had spawned him returned to Jeaux, surrounding him in bright light before dissipating completely. As the light faded, Jeaux noticed it had altered his clothing and appearance. It had even modified the look of the cannon in his hand.

Jeaux.jpg

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg

"It would seem you have learned all I can teach you for the moment. Take care to watch over that creation of yours, he seems somewhat unstable."

Jeaux2.jpg

"I will do that, thank you for the assistance."

With that Jeaux left the training area, finding himself with even more questions regarding the nature of the spell Nilrem had used on him.

Jeaux2.jpgJeaux Elmfyre (joeshmoe554)

Automaton male, Evoker

Level 15.5 *Blessed* *Transcended*

Power: 26 (Level 15 + WP: 11)

Defense: 0 (-2)

Health: 23/23 (6 + 3 + 14)

Ether: 16/16 (15 + 1)

Gold: 267

Equipment: Divine Cannonade (WP:11; gives blessed- and transcended-effects to user; hollow; handcannon), Handy Suitcase (SP-2, use 2 Items; accessory)

Inventory: Golden Handcannon (WP:9; lightning-elemental), Eminus (WP: 5; bow), Ranger's Quiver (WP+1; backwear), Topaz, Grand Tonic, Phoenix Essence, Venom x2, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Water Bomb, Bedroll, Bone x6, Turdwing (fly familiar; causes confused to one opponent whenever used)

ava-lego-copperfox.jpg

"Just remember to list the spirits available to you, with the one you prefer to summon automatically listed first!" Copper Fox shouted after the automaton.

Atramor came to barely an hour after he'd passed out. He grumbled a little, rubbing his head as he got back up to his feet slowly. At least whatever was in that mushroom didn't give him a hangover. It took a moment for him to get acquainted with his surroundings, but a voice from nearby helped.

"Finally. It doesn't exactly look good to have heroes unconscious on the floor here, you know."

The witch's vision finally focused enough to recognize the man and the area in which he was arranging some dummies.

"Copper Fox? The hell did I end up in here?"

"Not the least bit surprised you don't recall, you were stumbling around like you'd been confused, blinded, and hexed all at once. If you mean why you chose to come into here, well, my training room happens to be a very important place for up-and-coming heroes. It holds a promise of power to anyone who's weathered enough to find their way here - and only to those people. You've never noticed how only heroes with just enough experience find their way here, without ever knowing the path?" Atramor frowned a bit. He couldn't remember ever being told the directions to the training room. The Copper Fox merely shrugged.

"I suppose not. In any case, I can tell you're ready for more training. Things work a little differently with expert classes. It's dependent on those you've assisted during your career here. Don't act like that," he warned, as the witch suppressed a chuckle. "We all make a substantial impact on those who call upon our aid."

"True enough. Whether it's right or not, though..." Atramor trailed off. The Copper Fox raised an eyebrow.

"You think Heroica does more harm than good?"

"No, no. In the long run, we all do a pretty damn good of helpin' people out. But there's always a Quest or two where, well...I dunno. We're never 'round long enough to see what we've done, or we can never get a full picture of what the hell is goin' on. Before ya' say it, no way in hell do I doubt myself, I never second guess anythin', I'm just...not sure if a bunch of sellswords are exactly the right kinda' people to be decidin' the fate of countries. I generally prefer the smaller jobs."

"I see. You don't think Heroica has a place dealing with matters so large."

"Exactly."

"Hm. Well, you must remember that every Quest begins with someone needing assistance, whether it's delivering laundry or stopping civil wars. Heroica's place is to help those who need it. As long as people are calling for help, and as long as Heroica is around, we make significant changes on the world. That's simply the way it works." The master trainer straightened up, a longsword in hand, and beckoned Atramor to prepare himself. The witch, a bit confused, pulled out the Pheles Rod.

"I can, however, give you the skills and mindset you need to make the better of these choices."

With that, the Copper Fox attacked. McCafferey, who'd settled herself atop of the one of the training dummies' heads, watched with interest. The duel went on for a matter of minutes, though Atramor got the impression the Fox wasn't trying as hard as he could. The witch was battered pretty seriously within that short time. The chicken clucked exasperatedly.

'~He's not trying to best you, fool, but if you keep fighting back he will. Simply try to avoid getting hit in the first place - and for Azazot's sake, use your shield.~'

Atramor was running out of ideas and strength, so he complied quickly, moving the Pheles Rod to one hand and pulling out the Robust Shield with the other. He was surprised to find how easy it was to dodge the Fox's blows without having to worry about striking back - the few that broke through were rendered useless by his shield. The trainer stepped back after a short while more.

"Good. Defense is the foundation of Order. Keep a cool head, and you'll find it easier. But now? Now you must fight back."

They engaged again. This fight was far more punishing. Atramor's new tactic of trying only not to get hit wasn't working out so well, the ferocity of the Fox was too much to avoid. McCafferey fell silent as she continued to watch. A different voice took its place.

"<WEAK, INSIPID MORTAL. CAN YOU NOT WIELD THE MIGHTY PHELES ROD WITH SOME CONVICTION? SOME INTENT OF DESTRUCTION?>"

"Maybe if - agh, damn it! - it were more than a glorified stick," spat the witch as the Copper Fox unleashed a flurry of attacks, who looked unfazed by his talking aloud to the inanimate weapon.

"<DO NOT DARE TO QUESTION ME. THE PHELES ROD IS A TOOL FOR MAGICAL ANNIHILATION, NOT BARBARIC SWINGING AND SMASHING. YET IF THIS THE ONLY MEANS BY WHICH I SHALL SOW CHAOS, I WILL AT LEAST SEE TO IT THAT IT TASTES BLOOD MORE...EFFECTIVELY.>"

The booming, yet hollow and icy voice of Mephisto fell quiet. As Atramor continued to try and stave off the Fox's strikes, he noted a change occur in the Pheles Rod - the glowing blue end grew into a mass of vicious, mace-like spikes and twisted outward. Below it extended a single, solid spike. The rogue grinned through bloodied teeth. This would work. He caught the next swing with the edge of his shield, forcing the sword away as he spun around. The Fox was quick to duck - Atramor's swing was savage, and the dummy just behind the trainer took the hit hard. The trainer stood back up, glancing at the mess he'd made of the dummy's head and sheathing his sword.

"Excellent. What Chaos lacks in defense, it makes up for in raw power. It and Order are both potent alone. When you find the balance between the two - when you regulate them, so to speak - there's much you can accomplish. I think you'll make a fine Regulator."

Atramor was still panting, but he nodded in gratitude, and again once the Fox had healed him.

"Aye...I think....I can put this to good use. Thanks, mate."

"Of course. When you find yourself with a decision to make, no matter how important, just remember this battle. The paths of Chaos and Order are opposite, but rarely equal. Find the balance. The equilibrium between the two-"

"Think I've got the idea," cut off Atramor. "Defend myself, kick megablocks, balance it out." The Copper Fox nodded and tilted his head and gestured to the door, and the regulator headed towards it

"One last thing, Mister Gibbin."

"Aye?...More insight into this stuff?"

"No. You reek of dead rat. Go buy some new clothes."

"...Right."

Well, he wasn't wrong, thought Atramor, exiting the training room for a quick stop at the Marketplace.

9686290356_63516d7866.jpg

9695105479_fbd0eeca72_t.jpgAtramor Gibbin (CallMePie)

31 year old male human Regulator

Level 30 *Immune to Fire, Water, Lightning, Wood, Light, Darkness, and Doomed* *Negative Effects Last One Round* *Counterstriking* *Aura*

Power: 50

Defense: 20

Health: 120/120

Gold: 0

Battle Style: Orderly

Equipment: Pheles Rod (WP: 20, user generates an Aura, doubling the user's maximum health but drawing all attacks to them, fire, ice, lightning, earth, wind, light, darkness elemental staff), Robust Shield (SP: 10, shield), Amulet of the Court (Suitable for anyone, negative effects last only one round on the wearer, immune to water, lightning, and wood, accessory), Rat's Hide (Suitable for anyone, SP: 4, backwear), Galactic Armor (Suitable for anyone, SP: 6, +6 max health, immune to fire, light, darkness, and doomed, bodywear), Counterstrike Gloves (When hit by a Free Hit, immediately deals damage equal to level, handwear)

Inventory: Conspirator (WP: 15, deals the Blinded effect, longsword), General's Dagger (WP: 7, pierces SP, cannot be upgraded, dagger), Badass Tiger Claws (WP: 15, double WP against humanoids, darkness elemental, dual strike, daggers), Sylvania's Cowl (Suitable for anyone, grants Animal Talk, headwear) Pickaxe, Shovel, Bomb XX (Deals 30 damage to all enemies and 10 damage to all heroes, all damage ignoring SP/row), Deadly Venom, 2 Elixirs, Ether Core, 2 Grand Tonics, 3 Health Cores, 2 Mulled Wines, 2 Phoenix Essences, Potion, Remedy, Smoke Bomb, Soma

Do I just list my Battle Style as a stat, like so?

"Mr Fox, I believe it's time for you to train me again. This time I wish to learn how to be a Necromancer. You might say the dead should be allowed to rest, but I think they can be brought back for the greater good."

namyrra_training_hall_avatar.jpgNamyrra Uq (Quarryman)

1337 years old female Fenarian Necromancer

Level 33.25 *Immune to Sealing* *Earns triple XP*

Defence: 10

Health: 47/47

Ether: 52/52

Power: 53

Equipment: Crystal Mace (WP:20, fire, ice, wind, water elemental), Fanged Helm (SP:5, headwear), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Ether:5. immune to Sealing, bodywear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max. Ether +4, backwear), Medal of Glory (earns triple XP)

Stigveladi enters the Training Room at the Hall for the very first time. At the first moment, she does not even see the Copper Fox sorting some weapons on a wall. She is impressed by all the tools, weapons and consumables which seem to be waiting on the next apprentice. Her.

CopperFox.jpg

"Welcome to the Training Room!" The Copper Fox has turned around and welcomes the suddenly shy Hero. "Don't be afraid and come closer. How can I help you?"

AmmaBasicava1.jpg

"Uhh, hello! I... I am here to get some advanced training!"

"I expected you already, Amma!" the Copper Fox says with a smile.

"Amma? How do you ...? Why do you use this name? I keep it secret!"

"Some things cannot be kept secret to everybody. I may know you better than you expect. But that is not the matter now. Did you already think how you want to fight in the future? You came here as a Mage. As far as I know did you learn your abilites on your own, by experience. Not the worst way."

Stigveladi's nervousness was gone but she became slightly annoyed. "What do I have to tell you, if you know everything already anyways?

Before I came here, I experienced a lot of battles in the Fields of Glory. I fought at the side of some very experienced Mages, who mastered to fight like a knight, like a thief and like a healer. I want to become something like them. I want to learn how to get more gold, I really need more gold. Do you see this fancy dress of mine?" Stigveladi draws her new Robe out of her bag. "Things like that cost."

"So you want to become a Sorcerer? To learn how to steal from your oppenents and how to be sneaky and all that?" His face shows an expression of wariness.

"Yes. Maybe. On the other hand I was impressed by the Mage with a Shield. He was able to protect us from a lot of damage. But I am not sure if I want to devote myself for others. I rather go front and fight the enemy."

"Hmhm... I can't see you with a shield at the moment as well. I don't think you are a Mystic Knight."

"What I really liked though, was the way the third Mage fought. He was silent, but he was very strong in his ethereal attacks. And somehow he managed to heal me again and again when I had fought too fearless again. I never saw him hitting anything physically though. But his powers were enormous. I think ... no I am sure, I want to be like him."

"Sounds like a Sage to me. Well, that could fit you. You learned your magical abilities from the nature after all. But you seem to be in hurry somehow. Are you really sure you want to become a Sage?"

"Hrrrmmmm.... Yes, why not? Do you know something better again? I came here to train for a higher level. I felt not strong enough in the Fields and now I want to change it. All these enemies, all these monsters." You could feel how the anger in the little dwarf starts to fill out the whole room if you were here. Stigveladi seems to loose contact to reality and her limbs twitch while she continues in her imaginary fight. "They come from all sides! Protect us Hoke! Nur, cover me! I will attack!" Stigveladi forgets where she is and runs towards a little monster mockup which stands in the room. Her smash with the Wand of Poking bashes in the fake shoulder. She immediately turns around and attacks again. "Aarrrrgh, take this!!!!" The Copper Fox stands silent next to the scene, just watching. Stigveladi attacks the mockup again and again, using some magic within, but mainly bashing the $%!7 out of it. After a long while, he stops Stigveladi.

"Amma! STOP! There is nothing left anymore which you can hit!"

Amma turns around furiously, suddenly realizing that she isn't in combat. The mockup is barely recognizable, hanging there, torn in shreds. Slowly, she calms down.

"Congratulations!" smiles the Copper Fox. "You just became a Battle Mage. As always, I didn't really need to teach you. You learned yourself. It was your destiny."

"My destiny?"

"As I said. Your links to the nature are so strong and you have so much anger in you. You are hurt inside and you need to learn to deal with it. But as long as you have this power in you - use it. But use it wisely."

"Whatever you say. You seem to know it. Thank you - I guess." She was kind of speechless now.

Stigveladi leaves the Training Room with a weird feeling. She doesn't really feel much different than before. But somehow she feels - right. Like knowing who she is, or at least getting to know it better. She equips her new Robe and her new Helmet and with much more Power, Protection and with a lot healthier feeling, she enters the Hall again.

Amma_sq400.jpg

Stigveladi ("Amma") Kötturin (played by PsyKater)

{Ghost Buster} {Krakenwhacker} {Titan Smiter}

247 years old dwarven Battle Mage [Mage]

Level 20

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 5 (Winged Helmet 2 + Robe of the Archmagi 3)

Health: 32/32 (Base 5 + Battle Mage 5 + Lvl-Bonus 19 + Chicken Drumstick 1 + Lover's Ring 2)

Ether: 30/30 (Base 5 + Battle Mage 1 + Lvl-Bonus 19 + Robe of the Archmagi 5)

Gold: 358

Equipment: Ġeofon (WP:20, 4x damage to enemies weak to water, axe), Winged Helmet (+2 SP; headwear), Robe of the Archmagi (+3 SP; +5 Ether; bodywear), Lover's Ring (+2 HP; accessory)

Inventory: Wand of Poking (WP:10; double WP for physical attacks; wand), Wishing Wand (WP:12; each successful hit has ½ chance of inflicting either asleep-, blinded-, sealed- or confused-effect, according to what the user wishes; wand), Stealth Dagger (WP: 12; dagger), Dwarven Broomstick (WP: 3; broomstick), Opal (Ice), Topaz (Lightning), Aquamarine (Water), Scroll of Inspiration, Medal of Glory (Mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles; accessory), Crown of the Sea Kings (gives the wearer +20 SP, +20 max. health and +20 max. ether when fighting at a sea, lake or river; headwear), Cat Statuette ("Grettir", +1 HP, accessory), Pointy Hat (Suitable for mages and clerics, +2 max ether, headwear), Bedroll, 2x Titan Heart (Grants encouraged- and inspired-effects when consumed), 2x Kraken Fang (grants hastened- and reinforced-effects when consumed), 3x Grand Potion, 5x Potion, 4x Phoenix Incense, 2x Grand Tonic, 3x Tonic, 5x Venom, 3x Dirt Bomb, 8x Water Bomb, Fire Bomb, Ice Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, 2x Bone, Silver Ore (worth 60 gold),Golden Fleece (worth 90 gold), Gold Bar (worth 50 gold),

Image with some of her equipment:

AmmaEquip200.jpg

Edited by PsyKater

Copper Fox, I have meditated for months and have teamed with and studied from former conjurors so am now ready to try my hand at evoking once more. I will find a spacious area to work.”

En Sabah Nur left the training area and found a quiet place to begin. He jammed his wooden shield into the dirt so that it stood upright then placed the rest of his belongings on the ground. He cracked his knuckles. His gloved hand promptly popped while his stone fingers made a slight gravelly sound. “Alright, let’s warm up with an easy one. Maybe I can shape the stone into a sharp point...like a mountain. Would call it, 'Gaia’s Nipple.”

The would-be evoker chuckled to himself before he took out the vial containing the jinn’s essence he'd bottled during his last trip to the Fields. He released its contents and began to intone an unintelligible phrase and brought the ring finger of his right hand to his thumb and closed his stone hand into a fist before crossing his arms in an ’x’. Nur looked to the patch of ground in front of him, tilted his hat and scratched his head.

summon_garnet0.jpg

“Well that is peculiar. Nothing happen-” He turned around in time to see dirt, mud and stone envelop his wooden shield. The Earthen Shield hovered in the air. “Quite peculiar. “

summon_garnet1.jpg

The mage walked around the floating shield. “I am getting a little better at this. Instead of the companion requiring my gem, the spirit has claimed a lesser item from my pack.” He shrugged. “Copper Fox undoubtedly could show me how to master summoning but alas, stubborn me must do everything on my own.”

Nur prepared his next summoning spell. He placed the Alexis ruby on the ground and stood over it hoping to bring forth the powerful phoenix he had given away so long ago. He began to chant once more before interlacing his fingers then quickly clasping the middle and index finger of his gloved hand with his stoney fist. As he finished his sentence, Nur placed his gloved hand palm down over the back of his fist. A portal opened and out stepped...a rockling...with an overbite.

summon_ruby0.jpg

ico_ruby.jpg

”Uh, I was just on my way to take a mud bath but before I could step in the tub, this doorway opened up and now...I’m here. You brought me here, didn’t you? Are you a pervert? Well take it all in, ya sicko.”

ico_evoker.jpg

“Forgive me. I merely conducted a spell to bring forth a fiery being of supreme power to aid me and my comrades in our quest to help those who cannot help themselves. I suppose I mispronounced the incantat-”

ico_ruby.jpg

“Oh you didn’t mispronounce anything buddy. I’m plenty strong! I punch so hard, the friction I create makes fire!” She demonstrates.

ico_evoker.jpg

“What is your name girl? Ruby, perhaps? Heh heh”

ico_ruby.jpg

“Funny guy...not. The name’s Emerald and I’ll fight for you, ya dirty ol’ perv. ” Emerald stared hard at the floating shield and poked it. “What does this thing do?”

ico_evoker.jpg

?? Emerald...? Can’t say that’s the most fitting of names. Well then Emerald, thank you for your assistance. Maybe you can figure out that shield while I try this topaz. These initial summonings are often troublesome.”

summon_topaz0.jpg

Sitting on the ground with his legs crossed, Nur closed his fists and outstretched his arms. He uttered some alien syllables and started to sweat. The ground rumbled as he finished the ritual. A golden pillar erupted from the earth.

summon_topaz1.jpg

“Behold, Chidoris Obelisk. This artifact has a myriad of unknown abilities but I have only found and studied the scrolls necessary to unlock merely a fragment of its incredib-!” Once the obelisk had reached its full height, the topaz within it glowed and shot a bolt of lightning towards the summoner. The Earthen Shield moved in front of the blast. The wooden shield fell to the ground as the rock around it crumbled. A moment later the earthen shield began to reform.

ico_ruby.jpg

“Well, now we know what it does. What else ya got, Pervy Sage?”

Nur flashed back to his first aqua summon and cringed. “This one should be a doozy but I’ve spent months preparing soooo....” He brought out the small stone he swiped from the eastern reaches of the Fields and conducted the spell. “I am connected with the path to the spirit world. Heed my call. Pass through the gate!” A watery portal opened and out floated...

ico_ruby.jpg “What is it?”

summon_aquamarine0.jpg

ico_evoker.jpg

“Some sort of Barreleye...Aboleth...Stone...Hag.”

ico_ruby.jpgB.A.S.H...nice.”

summon_aquamarine1.jpg

The Earthen Shield floated obsequiously towards its master as Nur stared into the eyes of the fish-stone-thing. “So as long as I remain an evoker you can grant the appearance of my original arm, but can not cure me? S’fine with me. Perhaps I will trick myself into forgetting the weight of this thing.” Nur stared at the creature once again. “Indeed. I haven’t prepared that spell in years. Thanks for reminding me.” The mage cast a final spell. En Sabah Nur is granted Animal Talk!

nur_evoker0.jpg

“Shall we begin our journey?”

nur_evoker.jpg

En Sabah Nur (Jebediahs)

31 year old male human, Evoker

Level 26.33

Power: 38 (50 vs. Humanoids)

Defense: 1 (Artefact boost 1)

Health: 43/43 (Mage Base 5 + Level Bonus 25 - Sage Bonus 6 + Evoker Bonus 3 + Raw Meat Bonus 5 + Raw Meat Bonus 5)

Ether: 35/35 (Mage Base 5 + Level Bonus 25 - Sage Bonus 2 + Evoker Bonus 1 + Sedge Hat Bonus 4)

Equipment: Quarterstaff (WP:12/24 against humanoids, suitable for mages, clerics and necromancers ), Sedge Hat (+4 Ether, Headwear ), Traveler's Cloak (SP: 1, Backwear ), Lichen Armour (The wearer’s ether is counted as additional health if health is depleted, suitable to classes with ether,Bodywear )

Inventory: Unlucky Horseshoe (WP:13, retrievable, causes jinxed-effect; throwing weapon), Fire Amulet (Accessory, Makes physical attacks do double damage to all enemies that are weak to fire) , Snake Eye Charm(petrify immunity), Sealed Heavy Armour of Brilliance(Bodywear, SP:5,Immune: fragile, blinded, sealed effects), Garnet (Earth), Aquamarine (Water), Topaz (Lightning), Ruby (Fire), 6 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 2 Tonics, Grand Tonic, 3 Ether Cores, Level Up Mushroom (Grants one full level upon consumption), 2 Phoenix Essences, Phoenix Incense, 2 Venoms, 3 Remedies, Smoke Bomb, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Meads, Smelling Salts, 3 Fire Bombs, 3 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 10 Water Bombs, 3 Dirt Bombs, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Holy bombs, 10 bones, 2 Titan Heart (Grants encouraged- and inspired-effects when consumed), Milk (restores 15 health and 15 ether upon consumption), Garnet Lamp of Summoning (2/3 uses left)*, Medal of Glory (Allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles, accessory), Sangriste Dagger (WP: 5), En, Sabah, Nur (Shurikens 3/3, WP: 5), Wooden Shield (SP:5, grants immunity to wood-elemental attacks), Bedroll, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Scroll of Confusion

Summons: Earthen Shield (Garnet) ico_garnet1.jpg Emerald the Rockling (Ruby) ico_ruby.jpg Chidoris Obelisk (Topaz) ico_topaz.jpg B.A.S.H. (Aquamarine) ico_aquamarine.jpg

EDIT: Corrected links.

Edited by Jebediahs

Heckz was wandeing around the hall looking for a single bathroom in the damned place. He entered the training room, hoping he found the place he was looking for.

The mage looked around the place. It didn't really look like someone was there. He was about to leave until he saw a a man in staring at him.

"Um, hello. Do you know where I can find a bathroom around here?"

"John Brutenhal, I was expecting you."

"... how do you know my name? And what do you mean 'expecting me'?"

"Ha, you think you'd fool anyone with that made up name? We veterans know almost everything about our members." .The Copper Fox got closer to 'Heckz'. "When people get more experienced, they get stronger. I think you are quite experienced by now. I am the Copper Fox and I can help you get stronger. But first off, drop the acting. It just makes you look stupid."

"Pff, what acting?" 'Heckz' looked at the floor, his heart beating really fast.

The Copper Fox rolled his eyes. "Oh please, you know what I'm talking about. That horrible acting you do. Why do you do it John?"

'Heckz' looked at the Fox angrily "Don't-call-me-that." He calmed down a bit and said "Well the acting is just a looong story." There was silence in the room. "So, about getting stronger?"

"Ah yes, you see, there are advanced classes. Each one with their own unique abilities. I'll start explaining them to you: First there's the Batt--" Heckz interrupted him in the middle of the sentence.

"Which one makes good use of my looks?" Said 'Heckz' with a grin.

"None, for now. But I did get word that you were a street magician once."

"How much do you veterans now?"

"A lot. Now: A magician uses deceit and sleigh of hand, much like the sorcerer does. Interested?"

'Heckz' nods.

10632227793_4a850ae1ef_z.jpg

John 'Heckz' Brutenhal
,The Ghostbuster
(Eric-Su)

32 year old male Sorcerer.

Level 15
*Immune
to
Sealed

Power:
(15+9)
(
Spellpower:
(15+9+5)
)

Defense:

Health:
23/23
(5+14+4)

Ether:
26/26
(5+14+1+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Rawr (WP:9), Spellbound Gloves (Spellpower +5, handwear) Robe Of The Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether + 5, Immune to Sealed

Inventory:
Rat Scepter (WP:3, 4x damage to enemies named “rat”; wand), Lovelorn Wand (WP 6, deals
Enamored
effect),
Pitchfork of Abomination (WP:1, pierces all defenses including SP but breaks after one use; suitable to all classes), Opal (
Ice
), Garnet (
Earth
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Health Core, Tonic, Grand Tonic, Grand Potion, Ether Core, Remedy, Elixir, Smelling Salts, Mead, Phoenix Essence, Bedroll, Shovel.

"Oh and by the way, the bathroom is in the second floor, third door on the right."

OoC: Credit to
Kintobor
for helping me with avatar size!
Edited by Eric Su

Erik enters the training room.

"Good evening, Mr Fox. M' names Erik. I'm here because, from what I hear, you teach people new tricks once they're experienced enough. Well, I've been adventurin' a while now, and I was wonderin' if you could teach me a bit of how to heal injuries?"

"Certainly. That would mean you wish to learn the art of the Shaman. Which gods do you follow, Erik?"

"Ah, none in particular. I mean, you hear some people nowadays sayin' they don't believe the gods exist at all, and, well, I think the gods are up there somewhere, but you look at, say, people in the Hovels, barely managin' to survive, and it seems like even the Wolfgang do more to help than these gods. That said, if I need to follow a god to heal people, I'll do my best to find some faith."

"As a Shaman, you'll find that faith in a god often isn't as important as sacrifice and knowledge of rituals and herbs. Come with me, and I'll teach you the basics."

Erik and Copper Fox leave the hall and take a short walk to a forested area outside the city. They sit down, and Fox teaches Erik the basics of medicine, meditation, herblore, religion, blood rituals, and Shaman dress code.

"Do I have to take my shirt off? It's cold."

"Kids these days."

use.jpgErik Tyrvarr (Myrddyn)

19 years old male human Shaman.

Level: 16

Health: 32/32 (Barbarian base 8 + Level bonus 15 + Shaman bonus 9)

Ether: 17/17 (One per level 16 + Shaman bonus 1)

Sarge retrains as a black knight.

9576873157_492775f320_o.jpg

Sgt Jon. Mcency (Pyrovisionary)

54 years old male human Black knight

Level 19 *Dual Strike* *Immune to blinded* *Hastened!*

Power: 41 (19+17+2*+2*)

Health: 43/43 (7+18+8+3+3*+3*)

Em strides into the training room. "I'd like to train to become a Warden, sir," he states seriously.

tumblr_n1iyld3FP31qm711jo1_500.jpg

Name: Unknown. Most call him "Em," though his real name remains largely mysterious.

Unknown age male human Warden

Level 15.5

Power: 26

SP: 13

Health: 31/31 (6+14+8+3)

Ether: (+1)

Gold: 106

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Frost Helmet (SP: 3, ice immune), Iron Knuckle Armour (Body, foot, and hand wear. Counts as one artefact. Usable by knights and dragoons. SP: 10. Cannot be removed by enemies)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x5, Remedy x4, Venom, Grand Potion, Mead x2, Ambrosia

Weapons: Quality Cutlass (WP:6, Dagger), Bow(WP:5)

Tools: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe,

Equipment:White Marksman's Hat (⅙ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by (Asleep), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows), Syndicate Cowl (SP: 2, Immune to Doomed effect), Anniversary Medal (Artefact/Accessory) (Power +2, SP +2, Max. Health +2, Max. Ether +2. The values will increase by 1 with each passing year)

Edited by emjajoas

OoC: Super lazy post. Didn't feel like RPing or making a picture. Stats are changed in the hero stats page.

Johon trains in berzerk(ery?) and soon has learned the skills needed to fight with shields and such. Yeah!

OOC: I apologize for your new lack of internet connection. :blush:

Arthur sat up and groaned.

It took a few minutes before he realized what a miracle that was.

ava-luke.png

"Ah, you're awake. Welcome back to Castle Bric'bay."

The once-mage looks around at the cold, gray interior of the room warmed only by candlelight and the wood tones of the furniture around him. This particular room was rather sparse--just a bed, a chandelier, a small side table with a water pitcher, and what little daylight was let in by the arrow-loops in the wall. Luke moves to the side of the bed, staff in hand, his palm glowing with healing energy.

ava-luke.png

"You've been unconscious for the past three days. There were some people looking for you, but Lord Knyghton sent them away, gave them some story about going off to sea. I spent that time--and quite a lot of Ether--trying to heal you of...that."

Arthur had thrown back the covers and tried to stand, but the moment he let his leg off the bed it oozed onto the floor. For the first time he noticed the bedsheets stained black with ink, and he looks to Luke, his expression both apologetic and horrified.

ava-luke.png

"It's all right--you're clearly sick. You were worse before, but the healing seems to have..." Luke trails off as he sees the ex-human's leg solidify, then liquefy, then solidify, then turn back to ink before finally coalescing into its original, humanlike form. Arthur tests it gently before putting his weight on it.

ava-luke.png

"Arthur, I'm not sure that's--."

Luke's protest is cut off as the former Mystic Knight suddenly rises to his feet, apparently fine.

ava-luke.png

"Are you...are you sure you can maintain...?"

Arthur opens his mouth to reply, but as soon as he does he grows shorter by an inch. He looks down, renewing his concentration, and he returns to his normal height. It's only then that he notices the third occupant of the room.

ava-countlewisknyghton.png

"Good. Tha's a lot better than I though' ya'd do. I'd hoped ye'd be able ta tell us abou' wha' happened, but I'll settle fer havin' ya alive." He pauses, looking out the arrow loops to the forest below. "I'd send someone ta tha Heroica Library, but given our visitors, I'm guessin' tha'd be a bad idea." He looks to Luke. "I want him ready for trainin' in four days. I don' think we can hide 'im much longer'n tha', an' I'll be sending Admiral Thraune out with a bunch o' new troops ta 'hunt down' tha' so-called 'monster' in two week's time. I want him on that ship." He looks with concern to Arthur. "Ya think ya can handle tha'?"

After some hesitation, Arthur nods. Knyghton does the same.

"Then I'll leave ya an' Luke to it."

LionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.png

The rehabilitation process was torture. There was no other word for it--having to re-learn not only how to walk and move and hold a pen, but having to learn so with the added complication of holding one's entire body together was a physical and emotional struggle. By the end of four days, Arthur had once again learned many of his basic physical skills, but his effortless agility and athleticism--that was all gone. He could barely even speak--even now, after rigorous practice and devoted care from Luke, any attempt would result in lack of cohesion, save in those rare moments when, in utter stillness, he could divide his attention enough to carry on a short conversation. By the fourth evening, he managed to utter a full paragraph. It would have to be enough--his training began at dawn.

At the break of dawn, the regiment stood outside the gates of Bric'bay, awaiting their new instructor. Arthur, like many of the recruits, was nervous; he knew he could pass for normal in the everyday, but in combat? The risks were great, but if he wanted to ever return to his normal life, he'd have to do his best to run the course.

The Skirmishers' commander arrives.

ava-Leofard.png

"Listen up, soldiers! You know who I am, so there's no need for introductions. Lord Knyghton needs something done, and as of today you stand amongst the best we have." Three Skirmishers near the back of the formation exchange glances, but only Arthur makes note. "I have just twelve days to get you into shape. You're going to take half that time. Form up!"

Moving as one--or rather, attempting to move as one--the amassed Skirmishers form a single line, before dividing slightly into groups of ten. Whether by chance or design, Arthur finds himself in the same unit as the three from earlier. His attention is quickly diverted back to the front by Leofard's barking command.

ava-Leofard.png

"Children! I know you're better than that! Again!"

The soldiers return to their earlier positions, then repeat the same drill they had earlier, this time a fraction more in sync. They repeat again, and again, and again, slowly learning the rhythms of their fellow Skirmishers. Through it all, Arthur remains in the same group as the others, but quickly learns to ignore the fact and focus on the rigorous execution of unison. By the time the sun reached its apex the groups had managed to enter and break formation more or less in unison, though their actual movements and stance in formation were still far from precise. Of all the units in the training, Arthur's had fared best--not by his own efforts, but by the flawless display of synchronicity the Skirmisher trio exhibited towards the end of the session. From what Arthur could tell, they'd clearly been holding back until now, but of course he had no way--nor reason--to point this out to anyone. Sir Leofard strides over and stands before the unit, the other Skirmishers watching them attentively, expecting a delivery of praise for their exemplary performance.

ava-Leofard.png

"Sloppy!" Leofard waits for the ripple of surprise to pass through the amassed soldiers before continuing, staring right at the trio whose efforts had been so precise. "You've matched each other breath for breath, but you've neglected your brothers and sisters. A Skirmisher has no need for personal glory. We stand in solidarity, supporting each other, defending each other and any who need our help."

13420418593_2f10c929e7_o.jpg

Solidarity? I can barely manage 'solid'.

As if reading his mind, Leofard glances at Arthur, but he quickly directs his gaze to another rookie soldier in the unit--perhaps having been ordered not to make any mention of Arthur, or perhaps simply following his own espoused position on the role of the job. Either way, the ex-Mage was relieved not to have had any excess attention drawn to him.

ava-Leofard.png

"Now, we're going to do this one more time. Form up!"

This time, as the unit stepped forward, something felt different. The warmth of the sun, a gust of wind at their back--or maybe, just maybe, the knowledge of support and shared protection. Whatever the cause, the Hero of Dastan felt an encouragement, the likes of which he hadn't felt before. He'd felt strong, confident, of course, while under the influence of Mead, but somehow this felt different. Purer. Like he had a place in the world, where once he had not. Leofard was talking, and Arthur silenced his wandering mind to pay attention.

ava-Leofard.png

"...the feeling of oneness you get as a true Skirmisher. Not about you, but them--us. The Lions support each other--we used to lean on others, but now they may lean on us, as we lean on each other. Divided, we fall--but together, we stand."

Spontaneously, in unison, the entire troop salutes Sir Leofard, standing at perfect attention. The grizzled Knight grins, the first time they'd seen him smile all morning.

ava-Leofard.png

"Good. We'll make fighting men of you yet! Now once more--form up!"

That evening, Arthur returned to his room, tired and sore, but fulfilled in a way he hadn't been since his last day with the Watch. As usual, Luke and Lord Knyghton were there to receive him.

"Ya have a good first day out there?"

Arthur nods, before slowly replying. "Tired. Happy."

"Good. I'm glad. Any problems keepin' t'gether?" Arthur shakes his head no. "Excellent. Then there's somethin' we need ta do." He nods to Luke. "Heal 'im."

ava-luke.png

"Of course."

A pulse of Ether, and Arthur feels refreshed--though still tired. He nods to Knyghton in gratefulness.

"We're goin' ta keep doin' this every night, just ta be safe. Mornin's, too, if ye're in fer a rough day. But we can't keep ya in seclusion, not if ye're goin' ta be a real Skirmisher."

Arthur looks back and forth between his two friends, then shrugs. He nods to let them know of his acceptance, too tired to use words.

"Then I'll see ya t'morrow evenin'. Luke?"

Luke leads Arthur down a long hallway, one of the few he'd seen this visit that had been a part of the original Bric'bay. The castle had undergone a drastic expansion in the past two years, but at its heart remained many elements of the original fort.

ava-luke.png

"We can't have you sleeping in the barracks, of course, but it's important you spend time with your fellow Skirmishers even outside of training." Luke stops, in front of a door Arthur recognizes as the point of entry for Leorry and the other elven infiltrators back in the day. "Don't let their...casual demeanour fool you--these are our best." Arthur momentarily wonders why, if they were the best, they'd be in training, but before he can ponder further Luke opens the door.

13420680994_b4b85b6602_c.jpg

ava-luke.png

"Ladies, gentleman, this is Arthur. You remember him from this morning?" The trio from earlier murmur their assent, and Luke continues. "Arthur will be staying with you for the rest of your training. I trust you'll help each other along the way." Before any of them can comment further, Luke leaves the room, closing the door on his way out.

13420332183_0ac8909193_t.jpg

After a few moments of silence, the dark-skinned male Skirmisher speaks. "Leon. Leon Kastane." Leon extends a hand, but before Arthur can shake it, the woman with the eye-patch pushes him out of the way, crossing her arms belligerently.

13420211555_720becd61c_t.jpg

"Oh, for chimera's sake, Leon, I've told you to stop bringing last names into this. Liara," she says by way of introduction. She jerks her head toward the shy-looking girl behind her. "Lilly."

13420576694_61fd1d5fdb_t.jpg

"Hi."

Arthur nods in greeting to each of them, before retreating to the only unoccupied bed in the room. As he goes, Liara tries to engage her fellow Skirmisher in conversation.

"So, Arthur, up for a sparring match?" she asks brusquely--apparently her idea of friendliness. "Moon's bright tonight, should light up the courtyard just fine."

Arthur looks skyward, considering, but then begins to observe his arm. He meets Liara's eyes and shakes his head.

Liara shrugs. "Your loss. We'll be back in a bit." She gestures, and the other two Skirmishers follow her out of the room, leaving Arthur alone with his thoughts.

Sweating with effort, the three Skirmishers rest outside one of the guard towers of the still-in-construction jousting arena. Liara shares a significant glance with each of her compatriots.

13420326665_3cdb2abac6_c.jpg

"So--thoughts?"

"Hesitant movements, disinterest in fighting, escorted by Master Luke--I'd say he's convalescing, probably from an injury of some sort. Did you see the way he looked at his hand?"

"Agreed. Don't underestimate him, though--he's not up to standards yet, but he's stronger than he looks. Better-trained, too. He's no more rookie than any of us--he's seen action, and a decent amount of it. Question is--why's he with us?"

"No idea--protection, maybe? High value target?"

"Hm. Maybe. Feels like something else, though. New addition to the team?"

"We've always worked better as three, though--unless you're suggesting one of us should leave?" Lilly gives Liara a pointed stare; the latter is forced to look away guiltily before Leon breaks the mood.

"Still think we could take him in a fight, if it came to it."

"Oh, definitely, and not just 'cause he's still weak, either." She glances guiltily back to Lilly. "Anything you'd like to add?"

Lilly shrugs. "I picked up some talk earlier. Apparently Lord Knyghton's got Master Luke on some secret pet project. I'd bet good gold that that guy's it."

"More secret than us...?"

Lilly nods.

"Well, whoever he is, Master Luke asked us to help him out. We should probably assume those orders are straight from Lord Knyghton."

Liara nods in agreement. "Until we hear otherwise. Let's start in the morning."

Well, I never thought I'd see these things again. Funny, though--last time they were on my side. He went to his knees to slide under the spinning blades of the slice-n-dice as Lilly leapt to intercept a hwachaa arrow aimed at his flank. He'd barely conversed with them since they'd returned well past midnight, but already it seemed like they were working with him in greater harmony--and that extended to the other six Skirmishers in their unit as well. As the exercise ended, they ringed their target in a defensive circle, shields up, spears out, each covering the others' weaknesses in perfect unison. Sir Leofard frowned--they were still far too flashy for his taste, it seemed--but even he couldn't deny their effectiveness, nor their unity. Arthur's roommates clearly weren't holding back any longer, and even he had started to gain the confidence to draw a little on his own experience. The other members of the group grinned, thrilled at their increasing prowess, and even the elites of the group had to smile at how well they'd just worked together. At Leofard's grudging nod, the group left the course for the next unit to use, heading for the shade of the trees at the edge of the forest.

As Arthur's group sat down, another figure came to approach Leofard.

"Doin' well, I see."

ava-Leofard.png

Leofard nodded. "Much as I hate to admit it, you were right--they're good for each other." He looks to his superior askance. "Any chance of you tellin' me why you've got troops as experienced as them training with rookies? Or why I'm in charge of every single Skirmisher in this place yet I don't even know their names?"

Knyghton returns the glance with a calculating look. "...Nope, no chance of tha latter, I'm afraid." He looks to the sky a moment to consider. "As for tha former--well, like you just said. They're good for each other." Giving his dissatisfied subordinate a clap on the shoulder, Knyghton returns inside to the castle's keep.

"Rough day, huh?"

"Rough few days, you mean," Lilly counters. Liara says nothing, just smiles and keeps laying out her bedroll.

Arthur also smiles, though for a different reason. It had been a full week since he'd last lost cohesion, and today he'd even gotten a few shallow cuts and managed not to bleed. And as he surreptitiously checked his injuries by the lamplight--was it just his imagination, or did his ink have a miniscule hint of red to it? It had been a risk, letting Arthur spend the night out in the field with the other rookies, but to his mind it had paid off.

One Skirmisher surveys Arthur with similar surreptition. "So. Arthur. First time in an army tent, yeah?"

Arthur smiles and nods, which causes Leon to get excited.

"Ooh, it's story time!"

Leon, Liara, and Lilly gather around Arthur, as Liara closes her good eye to begin reciting the tale.

LionIcon.pngLionIcon.pngLionIcon.png

"Once, the lands of Dastan made up two nations: the Kingdom of the Lion, and the Empire of the Dragon. The Empire was the larger of the two, and its people were famed breeders of dragons. The Kingdom, in stark contrast, was composed of peasants, experts in agriculture, but not in the art of war. Through a series of border skirmishes, the dragon riders of the Empire had driven the Lions back to the arid mountains of Northern Dastan.

"Magical talent was rare in the Kingdom of the Lion, so most of the peasants dismissed the work of mages as folly. But when one of the mages, striving to transform readily available Mopag Torturous Fruit into a suitable replacement for applesauce and sausages, accidentally created a beast of myth - a chimera - word got around quickly.

"Raising an army, the Lion's King marched on the Empire--"

"Excuse me, but I already know this one."

Leon and Lilly stare at Arthur in surprise, and even Liara opens her eye in curiosity. Sensing the others' disbelief, Arthur picks up the tale.

"The Lion King and the mage led an army against the Dastanese, who retaliated with their own knights and dragon-riders. When the king fell, the battle turned into a rout, leading to the fall of the mage followed swiftly by the end of the chimera. The Lion Knights were expelled from Dastan, and the modern Empire of Dastan formed from the pieces."

"Very impressive. But do you know how it ends?"

"Of course. Many, many long years later, a group of rebels sought to reclaim Dastan for the Lions. Meanwhile, a cult of the Chimera, worshipping her as a god, sought to return her to the world. Both were stopped by the combined efforts of three valiant teams of Heroes from Heroica, and they were all wiped out."

"Except the head cultist--he got away. He's been at large to this day."

"No he isn't. His deeds--and more to the point, the Heroes--caught up to him eventually. He met his end. It was...unpleasant." Arthur grimaces at the memory.

Leon and Lilly exchange a glance, all but saying 'news to me'.

Liara's eye narrows. "Yeah, we owe a lot to Heroes, us Lions. In fact, there was a group of them, without whom we wouldn't have Bric'bay today. In fact, one of them--a Mage--happened to share your name."

"I have it on good authority that was one of the ones in Dastan as well. Good guy. A friend of Lord Knyghton's, or so I hear tell."

Arthur shrugs coolly. "I'd like to meet this guy. Sounds like a real hero--not like me. Not like me at all." Yeah, I'd like to meet him. I'd have quite a few things to say if I did.

"You know, for someone who knows so much about Dastan, you know very little about the Heroicans who went there..."

Arthur laughs. "Do I look like a Mage to you? Where's my pointy hat?"

"Well, you have a pointy helmet..."

"Yeah, well that doesn't count."

"All right you two, settle down. It's getting late. We need to be well-rested for our drills tomorrow."

"Sounds good to me," Arthur says, yawning on cue. "G'night, all."

13420332183_0ac8909193_t.jpg13420211555_720becd61c_t.jpg13420576694_61fd1d5fdb_t.jpg

"'Night."

With that, Arthur rolls over, and almost instantly is asleep.

He's the only one.

Outside the tent, there's a fierce conversation in whispers.

"Are you two thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Definitely. He knows way too much, and he's chums with Master Luke and Lord Knyghton. And that would explain why they have us bunk with him--we wouldn't recognize him, since we were...busy...during Bric'bay and didn't make it to Dastan--"

"Don't talk about Dastan. Not now, not ever. Not unless we have to."

"Well, that explains why he's making us go through basic again. I'm not her, Liara, but that's no reason to exclude--"

"Focus, Lilly. What we have are guesses right now. Anyone have any proof?"

Lilly pulls a lump of cloth from her pocket and unfurls a blue hat with white stars. "That proof enough for you?"

"So we've got the legendary Hero of the Lions Arthur Regulus sleeping in our tent. What do we do with that information?"

ava-Leofard.png

"Exactly nothing, that's what."

The three Skirmishers huddle up on instinct. Even after recognizing their commander, they do not stand down.

"Why."

ava-Leofard.png

"I've been asking the same question about you three for nearly two weeks. The presence of Arthur Regulus in this camp is essentially a state secret. I don't know how you three managed to figure it out, but I can guess. Unless you're willing to tell me?"

"...Classified."

ava-Leofard.png

"Well, there you go, then. Same thing Lord Knyghton's been telling me. Now I don't know what game he's playing, and frankly it's not my job to know. So I suggest we all stop poking our noses in where they don't belong and go back to bed. Agreed?"

Liara slowly nods, but it isn't until Leofard has walked away and disappeared around a line of tents that the trio finally lower their weapons. With a series of shared glances, they all return to the tent, and an uneasy rest.

Shhhnkt! Shhhnkt! Shhhnkt!

The sound of spear into wood filled the courtyard as storm clouds roiled across the sky. It hadn't started to rain yet, but the distant rumble over the horizon all but proved its inevitability. Arthur and the other Skirmishers trained in silence, apparently having nothing of import to say. It had been unusually quiet ever since that night in the tents, and though they still functioned flawlessly as a unit, he couldn't help but notice something felt different. Turning his focus back to the task at hand, he rushed forward in line with the others, hurling his trident at the target with all his skill and might.

Shhrunkt-crack! Clang! The sharpened weapon reduced the wooden circle to splinters and fell with a clatter. Whoops. Leofard wouldn't be happy--yep, there was the withering look of resigned exasperation. Arthur sighed. Still, Leofard said nothing, which was an improvement over a few days ago.

Wheeling with the rest of his unit, Arthur returned to the line of weapons behind him, grabbing his Spider Leg spear from his pack. Liara and Leon shared a glance at his choice, but he ignored it. Their next target was airborne, and the leg's unusual shape would vastly improve its striking power. Sure enough, the sharpened leg cleaved through the thrown plates, imbedding itself precisely in the center of the wooden target behind them. He allowed himself a small smile, but his mood dimmed when he noticed a few of the other Skirmishers in his unit staring at him.

When he returned to the packs for the third time, Leofard was waiting for him. The Lion general put up a hand to hold Arthur back, while waving the others through.

ava-Leofard.png

"On with you--you too, Karan, Kalem." He waited for the rest of the unit to return to the range before speaking to Arthur in a low voice. "Regulus. You're thinking like a Hero, not a soldier. It's not about hitting the hardest, it's about forming synergy with the others' attacks, so they'll benefit from your solidarity in either row. The actual ranged attacks...they're inconsequential--it's the unity of action that matters."

Arthur nods. "The unity feels a little off today, it seems."

ava-Leofard.png

Leofard looks to the three Skirmishers and sighs. "I know. I'll speak to Lord Knyghton about it." He reaches into Arthur pack and unhooks his halberd. "In the meantime--stick to this one. The Duplovians make fine soldiers, and they make fine weapons for those soldiers as well. There'll be few surprises with this weapon--alright?"

Arthur nods and takes the weapon, and Leofard walks away, into the castle.

The final day of training had come and gone, and now Arthur stood with his unit at the docks, waiting for Admiral Thraune's announcement that the preparations for them to board the Chimaera and the other ships of the fleet were complete. He stood at the center of the group, with Leon, Lilly, and Liara surrounding him and the other six Skirmishers ringing the outside. The whispers the latter exchanged all but told him the formation wasn't coincidental. They either know, or suspect. I wish they didn't. I'm just a man--less than that, even. I just want to be a good soldier, like them--is that too much to ask?

As the troops waited, Arthur spotted Lord Knyghton walk out and stand by the doorway back inside the castle, a sealed scroll in his hand. He raises his hand in gesture, and Liara, Leon, and Lilly exchange confused glances.

"That's our cue...sorry. Best of luck to the rest of you."

She and Leon leave, heading for Knyghton, but Lilly delays, glancing around surreptitiously before leaning over to whisper in Arthur's ear.

"It's been an honor, Master Regulus." After a moment's hesitation, she gives him a quick peck on the cheek, before she, too is gone.

Arthur raises a hand to his cheek, confused. What was that all about? he wondered.

He didn't have long to consider, though, for soon Sir Leofard took to the top of the ramp.

ava-Leofard.png

"All right, men, this is it. Your training is complete--you're all proud, professional Skirmishers. There's little more I can do for you--but your work is not over!"

"Training, no matter how thorough, is no match for experience. Lord Knyghton is dispatching Admiral Thraune on a mission, and he has requested your assistance. I will not be accompanying you, so since he will be delivering your orders for this mission, I turn you over to Admiral Thraune."

13429209453_098b63d6d8_t.jpg

"Thank you, Sir Leofard. We've been receiving reports from trade vessels of strange activity along the lanes between us and the Empire of Dastan--specifically, reports of strange visions and monsters, followed by the disappearance of our cargo. Given that the reports mention supernatural activity rather than hostile ships, we suspect the work of a small crew of pirates, likely lightly armed, using trickery and superstition to avoid combat they'd otherwise be unequipped for. I don't need to tell you how vital this route is for our livelihood, which is why I'm leading this mission personally. Your mission, if we are attacked, is to hold the line and apprehend the intruders. Until then, you'll continue your training as you did under Sir Leofard. Understood?"

The soldiers responded with a simultaneous salute in acknowledgement, and Admiral Thraune's crew began directing the troops onto the ships. As Arthur's unit, one the last aboard the Chimaera itself, walked up the gangplank, Admiral Thraune acknowledged them with a nod before pulling one of the Skirmishers aside, waving the rest on.

"Mr. Kobb, was it?"

ava-pikeman.png

"Yes, sir."

"Sir Leofard tells me you're in Arthur's regiment."

ava-pikeman.png

"Yes, sir." He pauses, then hesitantly adds, "Arthur Regulus' unit, sir?"

The Admiral slowly, reluctantly nods. "Tell the rest of your unit to keep an eye on him. Lord Knyghton wants him back in one piece. And for heavens' sake, don't make a show of him! Too many people know as it is."

ava-pikeman.png

"Of course, sir." He starts to turn away, but then turns back. "Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"...Granted."

ava-pikeman.png

"With all respect, he's one of us, sir. Looking out for each other...it's what we do."

Admiral Thraune nods, satisfied. "Very good. On your way then."

Out at sea once again, Arthur thought to himself, bemused. Of the Skirmishers aboard the Chimaera, perhaps a third had sailed at all, and half that more than once. Certainly none of them had been aboard the fleet's flagship--save for Arthur himself, of course. His familiarity with the ever-shifting environment left him one of the better soldiers in training exercises, though he was careful not to let it show. He did his best to teach his fellow Skirmishers the ropes, and by three days out from Bric'bay, most of the Skirmishers had attained, if not excellence, at least competence atop the waves. He didn't know how much they suspected of his true identity, but by now he didn't care; out here, it didn't seem to matter who he was or what he'd done, he was simply "one of the boys".

But a past cannot be escaped forever, and on the fourth night Arthur would face his reckoning.

It was nearing midnight, and Arthur's unit was preparing to take watch. They numbered fewer than their counterparts, what with the sudden departure of Leon, Lilly, and Liara back at the docks, but they'd stepped up their vigilance to compensate. It was this, perhaps, that prompted one of the Skirmishers to notice Arthur's sudden shiver.

ava-pikeman.png

"Something wrong, Arthur?"

"No, it's just...it's nothing. A chill brought on by the wind, perhaps."

ava-pikeman.png

"Funny...there doesn't seem to be any wind tonight."

It took them a few moments to realize the implications of that statement.

"Get Admiral Thraune."

ava-pikeman.png

"Already on it."

Just then, the boat rocked, and they all knew they'd found what they'd been looking for.

"Signal the fleet, prepare to repel boarders--"

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, they caught sight of their foes, arrayed atop the shipboard railings, and Arthur knew the source of his chill.

"No..."

13420318905_43d95eece4_c.jpg

"Chaos Beasts!"

"To arms, men!"

And the time for words was over. Fast and hard the creatures struck, but again and again the Lions repelled their blows. The beings of Chaos struggled against these forces of Order, but neither side gained ground. Blood and ink spattered the deck and those upon it, running together beneath the feet of the combatants until it was impossible to tell which was which. The fight raged on, and on, and on, until even Arthur despaired of ever beating their foes.

Was this it? After coming all this way, was his only option to unleash his Chaotic power, to sacrifice all he'd achieved so far? It would be so easy just to transform, to vanquish his opponents...his bretheren.

"Arthur!"

The admiral's sharp voice broke the onetime-Chaomancer from his reverie.

"You've fought these before. Can we beat them?"

A long moment's thought, and then a nod. Yes. They could do this--together. If just a few Heroes could defeat Wren, Queen of Chaos, then what hope did these feeble creatures stand against the full might of the Lion Skirmishers.

"Yes," he answered, "but only in unity."

"Good thing that's what we do best." He raises his voice, letting Arthur's shield defend him from the creatures' onslaught. "Men! This is Arthur Regulus, of Heroica, Hero of Dastan and of the Lions!" He gives Arthur a reassuring nod. "He's faced these beasts before. Follow his lead!"

With a deafening cheer, the Lions roared their encouragement. With bolstered spirits, Arthur raises his trident, watching his comrades do the same, and with a mighty heave launched the tri-pronged spear at the nearest beast. Skewered through the chest, the creature stumbles a step back, then staggers towards Arthur--only to be met by dozens more. The tide turned, waves of pole-arms, thrown in perfect unison, demolish the dark beings--not a single one manages to escape to the safety of the ocean below.

Out of the corner of his eye, Arthur spots a single ship slip away into the mist, but before he can inform his superior something else catches his attention.

ZootsPlaything2.jpg

A group of Skirmishers--Arthur recognizes them as his own unit--surrounds the pulsing black orb, spears pointed straight at it. Admiral Thraune makes his way past the line, kneeling down to observe it.

"Now what do we have here...?"

Arthur rushes to his current commanding officer. "Admiral Thraune!"

"Hm? Yes, Arthur?"

Arthur holds out his hand. "Allow me."

With some reluctance, the aged admiral nods. "All right, then."

Arthur stands before the Zoot's Plaything, undaunted, unafraid. He hears its voice calling to him--the voice of one that was him, that drew every fiber of his being...

It was time. Time to do what I should have done the first time I saw one of these...

--squish--

"So tha's it, then?"

The Skirmisher nods. "I have no clue who summoned them, or why, but after that display of Orderly might I doubt they'll be preying upon Lion ships in the near future."

ava-luke.png

"I'm glad to hear there weren't any...permanent consequences."

Arthur smiles, genuinely. "Me, too."

ava-Leofard.png

"I hate to bring everyone down, but after that flashy show, no one in the ranks is going to be fooled anymore. An entirely new set of Lions are going to know your face, your name--not to mention your latest set of deeds."

"So much fer tha quiet life," Knyghton remarks wryly.

Arthur's countenance falls. "Unfortunately. I don't know where I'll go, now. I've no desire to be a celebrity."

ava-Leofard.png

"Could've fooled me, Leofard grumbles. Knyghton silences him with a look.

ava-luke.png

"Arthur. I think you know where you have to go. Remember what I told you, when we parted after Dastan?"

"'Remember to find the enjoyment from the things that you gladly do and set your mind to accomplish the tasks that are pains for you.'"

ava-luke.png

"And where have you found the most enjoyment in this world?"

"..."

Luke and Knyghton nod knowingly.

"You're welcome back any time. I daresay tha guards at tha gate'll know to let ya in."

ava-countlewisknyghton.pngava-luke.png

"Fare well...Hero."

13420296795_acfc6b733f_c.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII, a Hero Who Is Actually Worth Something (played by Flipz), Level 31 Skirmisher, 22-year-old male Human *Immune to Fragile and all Poisons* *Only Receives One Negative Effect At A Time*

Power: 43 (31 + WP:12)

Health: 54/54 (Basic Health: 5 + Level Bonus: 30 + Class Boost: 15 + Permanent Boost: 4*)

Ether: 36/36 (Basic Ether: 5 + Level Bonus: 30)

Defense: 20 (Arm Shield: 14 + Duke's Coat-of-Arms: 5 + Unicorn Helmet: 1)

Gold: 138 (Owed 128 gold by Boomingham)

Equipment: Gladiator Trident (WP: 11, Spear, causes bleeding effect), Arm Shield (SP:14), Overkill Gloves (Gives the wearer 1 gold for every point of damage they do extra when they defeat an enemy. (Example: Enemy has 50 HP left, you do 75 damage, you earn 25 gold.)), Duke's Coat-of-Arms (Protects against Fragile and all Poisons, SP; 5, suitable for knights, dragoons, skirmishers and regulators; bodywear), Unicorn Helmet (SP:1; the wearer can only receive one negative effect at a time, with a new effect replacing the old one; usable by barbarians, knights, dragoons, infiltrators, regulators, skirmishers, and winged warriors; headwear), Zap-Tap Badge (Artefact, Accessory. Has a 1/2 chance to deal Electric damage to an opponent who has dealt damage to a hero, equal to the hero's level.)