Sign in to follow this  
Cutty

John Carter - Disney Movie coming to cinemas in march

Hello fellow Eurobrickians!

I found no topic in culture & multimedia dealing with Disney's upcoming movie

"John Carter"

Anyone ever heard of him? Perhaps if I added, that the original books' titles had the fancy "of Mars" attached to the name? Written by Tarzan-creator Edgar Rice Burroughs, the movie will presumably be based on motives and characters from at least the first two John Carter novels "A Princess Of Mars" and "The Gods Of Mars".

Yesterday, the second trailer was released internationally and believe it I'M PUMPED to see this in march next year! But please,

Please note: Burrough's novels are a main inspiration for later science fiction epics, such as Star Wars. Coincidentally, the movie will be released almost precisely a full 100 years (!) after the novel "A Princess Of Mars" was first published!

On an entirely different topic: This would be the PERFECT action theme for Lego to do, especially as they have a Disney license! Why not, TLC, WHY NOT??

Be well!

Cutty

Edited by Cutty

I've had my eye on any John Carter news for a while now and watched the trailer just this morning. The effects seem like they're going to be pretty good and the creature and vehicle designs look outstanding. What bothers me though is that even from the trailer I get the impression that the guy who plays JC is going to really annoy me - I already don't like his face and find his 'heroic' voice quite irritating :sadnew: . This film also looks like it could suffer from being as camp as the 80's Flash Gordon!

I hope my fears are unfounded because I'd love to take the kids watching this.

This is definitely on my radar. Beyond being an interesting property, it's being directed by Andrew Stanton, the director of Wall-E. That alone makes it worth giving it a look. If it's worth Lego, well, that's hard to say. Prince of Persia was certainly a boring, forgettable movie, but its sets were awesome. I don't think there is any connection between the worth of a movie and its Lego. (* for that matter, I can't be bothered to watch Pirates 4. 2 & 3 are vague, storyless blurs in my mind)

Please note: Burrough's novels are a main inspiration for later science fiction epics, such as Star Wars. Coincidentally, the movie will be released almost precisely a full 100 years (!) after the novel "A Princess Of Mars" was first published!

On an entirely different topic: This would be the PERFECT action theme for Lego to do, especially as they have a Disney license! Why not, TLC, WHY NOT??

I have been waiting for this movie for years! It has been very interesting to follow bits and pieces of its development online. To piggyback on your statement, you would be hard pressed to find ANY si-fi movie or novel that didn't have hints of the John Carter of Mars pulp novels. Avatar was essentially a modern version of the series.

About this time last year I had high hopes that Disney and Lego would hook up for this movie and make wonderful sets, but it looks like there is no hope for that right now. Perhaps Lego has felt burned by a lack of success of sets based on live action movies from Disney. Cough(POTC, POP)cough.

For those interested here is the first full-length trailer from the movie:

http://collider.com/john-carter-movie-trailer-2/129710/

I too am looking forward to this movie as a fan of the books, although I fear I am going to be dissapointed. I didn't really like John Carter in the trailer, but what bothered me most of all was that there weren't any red people. Everyone on Mars looks pretty normal.

I too am looking forward to this movie as a fan of the books, although I fear I am going to be dissapointed. I didn't really like John Carter in the trailer, but what bothered me most of all was that there weren't any red people. Everyone on Mars looks pretty normal.

Please! Martians are Green! :laugh: