Brickdoctor

[LDD MOCs] Brickdoctor's 2011 Star Wars Advent Calendar

Day 16:

6523241129_b471c537ec_z.jpg

It's Miniland-scale Clone Pilot. Despite the fact that all I could do was pilot-ify, recolor, and re-detail the official figure, I'm pretty happy with this one.

Clone trooper pilots were special clone troopers bred in the Kamino cloning centers for the purpose of piloting craft of the Grand Army of the Republic and the early Galactic Empire. Read more...

2011SWAdventDay16.lxf

Well, I'm not a big fan of this design for clone troopers. The arms seem too short, and the helmet just looks weird for some reason. But other than that, not bad.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Day 17:

6529318451_7f5031c26e_z.jpg

*sigh* Another day, another Miniland-scale version of a pointless filler day in the calendar. It's Miniland-scale DC-15s Blaster. :sadnew: At least we're on the home stretch, now, and there's a trio of vehicles I'm looking forward to building coming up...

The DC-15S blaster was the blaster carbine variant of BlasTech's DC-15A blaster rifle. This weapon was carried by the clone troopers of the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. Read more...

2011SWAdventDay17.lxf

Day 18 is here! Or, has been here, but I hope this was worth the wait.

6535402953_35aae7c34e_b.jpg

It's Midi-scale BTL-A4 Y-wing! The only thing I don't really like is the engine domes - I couldn't find a suitable brick-built solution.

The BTL-A4 Y-wing starfighter was the one-man version of the BTL-S3 starfighter model. Read more...

2011SWAdventDay18.lxf

Great work again, Doc! It's really nice and detailed, and I love the use of a fez for R5! :laugh: The only thing I'd suggest to change is, like with the HSD, to remove all the Technic pins from the tubes in the back.

As for the engine domes... yeah, that's probably the best "legal" solution. If illegal connections were allowed, the swivel turret ball halves would be a better solution.

The only thing I'd suggest to change is, like with the HSD, to remove all the Technic pins from the tubes in the back.

It's an issue of width. Bars are used on the official MINI and brick-wide tubes are used on the System ones. The pins are one studs wide, which falls right in between.

Wasn't day 17 to be a weapons rack? :classic:

Yes, but it was really ugly and wasn't canon so, like with Day 7, I picked one of the weapons to do.

Ah, finally one of the three where my interest goes most (together with the A-wing and Millenium Falcon). And I have to say, you didn't disappoint me with this Y-wing Docter.

The proportions seem about right, from the shape of the ''head'' till to the size of the engines (although it might give it a robust look, some folks make them way too large :grin: ). I believe that most people think that the engines of the Y-wing are pretty big, while they are not that large compared to the body of the ship. Kudos for that. Those engine domes work fine for me, they are no eye-catcher in any negative way. My only concern goes to the pins located at the tubes in the back; they might be the right size, but due to all the edges on them, they are somewhat too notable in my opinion. At the other hand, it's not that big of a deal, and it doesn't look bad or so...

The well-greebled body is great, but the ''head'' is even better. It has the right shape, not too curved, as most people seem to think it's so, but almost straight, with only a very slight bow.

Except from the engines there is nothing to complain about. I understand it had to be hard to design the engines, I have tried myself a while back when I was working on a midi-scale Y-wing, and due to the fact that I couldn't find a solution for the engine domes, I gave up. You didn't, (couldn't actually) and I'm really glad you made this excellent Y-wing in such a tough scale. I haven't seen any other Y-wings in this scale yet (bring it on with your links fallenangel :tongue: ), so I would love to see this one in real.

And that's my question too actually, are you going to make your LDD creations, or some of them, in real?

Edited by Hollander

And that's my question too actually, are you going to make your LDD creations, or some of them, in real?

I don't intend to. I've got so many other things to build physically.

I don't intend to. I've got so many other things to build physically.

I see. Well, maybe we could gather some EB members to actually build your whole advent calender physically. The only disadvantage would be that we can't see them all together. I probably wouldn't have the right parts to build even one of your creations in real. But, we would need your permission of course, if we are going to make your LDD designs in real.

I see. Well, maybe we could gather some EB members to actually build your whole advent calender physically. The only disadvantage would be that we can't see them all together. I probably wouldn't have the right parts to build even one of your creations in real. But, we would need your permission of course, if we are going to make your LDD designs in real.

I'd love to see someone build my models. I provided the LXFs so someone could build them if he wanted to.

Except from the engines there is nothing to complain about. I understand it had to be hard to design the engines, I have tried myself a while back when I was working on a midi-scale Y-wing, and due to the fact that I couldn't find a solution for the engine domes, I gave up. You didn't, (couldn't actually) and I'm really glad you made this excellent Y-wing in such a tough scale. I haven't seen any other Y-wings in this scale yet (bring it on with your links fallenangel :tongue: ), so I would love to see this one in real.

As a matter of fact, Brickdoctor's Y-wing is about the same size as the one I was working on – the nacelles line up nearly perfectly. It's funny, because prior to this, I had never seen a Y-wing built to scale with 4-wide nacelles. That being said, Brickdoctor's model is so well done that I might as well give up on mine. :laugh: The greebling is superb, the use of the hat as an R5 unit is perfect, and the head and cockpit canopy couldn't be done better at this size.

As for how they could be improved, Bruceywan recently posted a fantastic experimental photo where the support pylons are only a tile thicker than the nacelle, which fixes the biggest problem with my nacelles – I would love to see this implemented.

I see. Well, maybe we could gather some EB members to actually build your whole advent calender physically. The only disadvantage would be that we can't see them all together. I probably wouldn't have the right parts to build even one of your creations in real.

I'd love to see someone build my models. I provided the LXFs so someone could build them if he wanted to.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, and wasn't kidding--I definitely plan to bricklink a few of these and have 'em on the display (/for swooshing) in my dorm room. X-wing and the Shuttle for sure (structural modifications on the shuttle as Doc suggested). I'm anxious to see how you do the TIE and Falcon. I don't think I'll be getting the parts to build these in time to be stocking-stuffers (for my own stocking :grin:), but I'll *definitely* be getting them. Need to get around to setting up and using LDD Manager to export parts lists from LDD files, but I'm on break now, so I've got plenty of time to get that done.

Honestly, depending on how the costs are looking after the X-wing, Shuttle (and TIE, if you do it justice :tongue:), I might splurge on a few more of the ship models. Keep it up! :thumbup:

As a matter of fact, Brickdoctor's Y-wing is about the same size as the one I was working on – the nacelles line up nearly perfectly

I love the little tweaks you did to the nose to fit the guns inside the plating. :thumbup:

After checking my lego collection, I found out that I own most of the parts for the Y-wing. It's just that new years eve is coming and I'm running out of money, otherwise I would have done some Bricklink orders by now. But maybe I can just start working on the body for now, as about 70% of my lego percentage consist of bley and dark bley. :tongue: If swils and others would make some of your builds physically too, we would have realized a significantly part of your creations. Well, if the X-wing, Imperial Shuttle and Y-wing will be made, we would rather have the best actually. I'm really excited about this, I'd already pulled out the bley parts and spread them out at my desk... :devil:

[...]

That being said, Brickdoctor's model is so well done that I might as well give up on mine. :laugh: The greebling is superb, the use of the hat as an R5 unit is perfect, and the head and cockpit canopy couldn't be done better at this size.

[...]

Please don't! :cry_sad::laugh:

Your Y-wing was looking really great angel. Okay, true, Brickdoctor's attempt on this vehicle was a total win, but the more we build, the more we learn from each other, right? :sweet:

Edited by Hollander

I love the little tweaks you did to the nose to fit the guns inside the plating. :thumbup:

That was the first quick fix I saw - I'm glad you approve. Though I just realized that the bit with the landing feet isn't attached to the rest of the model. :grin:

Please don't! :cry_sad::laugh:

Your Y-wing was looking really great angel. Okay, true, Brickdoctor's attempt on this vehicle was a total win, but the more we build, the more we learn from each other, right? :sweet:

Of course, Hollander. At the moment, though, I'm considering a version with 6-wide nacelles - the head of the Y-wing has never really been done justice at that size, and I'd like to tinker more with kost u grlu's solution. Flail, RenegadeClone, and quite a few others have already done some wondeful work with 6-wide nacelles, so I've got plenty to go off of. But we digress.

As the last week of Advent is upon us, I eagerly await what I'm sure will be fantastic renditions of the TIE/ln, Falcon, and A-wing. Again, the incredible amount of work put into this undertaking amazes me. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Day 19:

6541911723_22c7175b71_z.jpg

It's Miniland-scale TIE Pilot. I spent a lot of time trying to build the helmet, but in the end, the best I could do was pilot-fy the official build of the helmet. :sceptic:

I'm looking forward to building three ships.

TIE pilots served in the Imperial Navy by piloting the various TIE series starfighters. Read more...

2011SWAdventDay19.lxf

Pretty good, Doc, but I still think you should use clips for hands like they do on the official ones because as it is, the arms look too short. And yes, I think we all are looking forward to three consecutive days of great midi ship creations from you! :sweet:

Some of these are brilliant Doc, but the last one....is it just me or does it remind anybody else of Bender from Futurama? ( not that thats a bad thing :tongue: )