Sign in to follow this  
12vretrofan

How many trains run on your lego layout at a time?

Hello, all, I am 12vretrofan and I am new to the forum. I have recently gotten back into lego trains. I was just wondering if anybody has a train layout where they have every train they own on the layout? If not, how do you store them safely? Thanks all!

My planned Layout will allow me to run at least four trains on their own loops (interconnected with crossovers & switches) safely and manage another train or two in my Switching/Maintenance/Freight Yards.

Most of my trains will be stored on the Layout but a few simply don't fit into the plan so they'll be stored in my glass display cabinets:

6320140429_248aa3fba9.jpg

My layout has space for 7 trains to sit in the station at the same time, and 6 of those can run at the same time as well. Pics here. I'm currently working on adding PF to my steam loco and building a DMU that will be PF as well, so in theory at least I will be able to run 8 of 9 at once, though I'm not sure there's really space for it!

Andy

Wow, those look like very impressive layouts! Do they take up a lot of room? I really like your layout Andy! Could you post pics of your steam loco you are adding PF components to?

-12vretrofan

Wow, those look like very impressive layouts! Do they take up a lot of room? I really like your layout Andy! Could you post pics of your steam loco you are adding PF components to?

-12vretrofan

I can run two trains at once on my current mighty two 72"x30" tables. :laugh:

Although, if I dont keep a close eye on them, they're bound to collide. As for storing, I might add a small shelf to display my additional trains when not running on the layout. One day I'll have a mega setup. :devil:

just one because I mainly need more PF parts and rechargeable batteries :grin:

Edited by Macoco

Welcome to the forum Retro!

I use some electronics to ensure the number of trains I can run on my layouts isn't limited to the number of loops they have. You can see it at work in the video below...

Any trains not on the layout are wrapped in cloth or newspaper and stored in boxes. I hope this helps!

When my layout was still up, I had enough track to run two to three 9V's on one medium sized loop. Depending on how long the trains were. If they were 2-4 cars, I could do three. The room's perimeter is 18.83'x 5.5' (226inx 66in) and the loop was about 12ft . I never used them much before my "dark age" or when my city growing exponentially starting in 2009 when that ended. Whenever I move them into a new house, I, like 'kyphur' plan to have a very large layout with numerous trains running. Primarily they will be 9V with a few smaller PF lines. Until then, they will remain boxed and that, just a dream default_classic.gif

I haven't had the chance to start setting up my dream layout yet: home renovations are sapping all of my free time right now. However, I came across a "picture ledge" at my local IKEA. It screws easily to the wall and, while it is designed to set picture frames on, it is also great for LEGO train track! Exactly 9 track lengths fit on the 115cm model (I know, 9 tracks = 115,2cm but the picture ledge is a bit over-sized). A 1 x 2 plate with handle set on the inside edge of two or three sleepers insures a snug fit that doesn't move around. I have three ledges set up now so I can display a sizeable part of my collection. The only problem I have now is that I'm so satisfied with the ledges that I thinking of intergrating them in my future layout!! That way, the trains can go all the way around the room.

I'll try to take a few pictures tomorrow and post them.

Dan-147

I use some electronics to ensure the number of trains I can run on my layouts isn't limited to the number of loops they have.

Wow!, how does that work, is it hard to make?

Wow!, how does that work, is it hard to make?

The circuit is based on this design but has had the features I don't use removed and modified to use reed switches instead of light sensors. You place the reed sensors in the middle of the tracks and the magnets on the trains activate them. You need an isolated section of track, but this is possible on both 12V and 9V systems.

Unfortunately RC and PF need something more complex, but I have design ideas there too, along the lines of RFID sensors and microcontrollers. :wink:

-12vretrofan

Here's a link to the loco I'll be adding PF to in the new year, it may well be March or April before I get round to it, I'm working on a DMU at the moment.

Andy

The circuit is based on this design but has had the features I don't use removed and modified to use reed switches instead of light sensors. You place the reed sensors in the middle of the tracks and the magnets on the trains activate them. You need an isolated section of track, but this is possible on both 12V and 9V systems.

Unfortunately RC and PF need something more complex, but I have design ideas there too, along the lines of RFID sensors and microcontrollers. :wink:

Thanks for the info! I'm running on 12v and have exactly this problem but my electronics skills are not that great, I can just about hold a soldering iron and can just about understand it if there no more than a couple of components.

I've six trains running on my layout, and four trains on four blind tracks.

The layout is electrically splitted into three different circuits (with three different transformers) every transformer lead two trains

12v-layout-01.jpg

12volt-323.jpg

12volt-328.jpg

I've six trains running on my layout, and four trains on four blind tracks.

The layout is electrically splitted into three different circuits (with three different transformers) every transformer lead two trains

Hi 'LEGO Train 12 Volts' - Impressive!

What is the electronic device with the four lamps in the bottom of the last picture?

Edited by harnbak

Hello, all, I am 12vretrofan and I am new to the forum. I have recently gotten back into lego trains. I was just wondering if anybody has a train layout where they have every train they own on the layout? If not, how do you store them safely? Thanks all!

On my current layout I can run four trains at one time, four loops. With two more on station sidings.

- Patrick

Edited by Dyson2972

What is the electronic device with the four lamps in the bottom of the last picture?

I can run quite a few on the 12v system, but they get slower the more one puts on. Reckon 5 is the max off one controller.

About the same with the 9v system. This is an older video showing the 12v system...

My 12v trains

Edited by Brickimad

What a nice glance! :wink:

That's my cheap signal device for my four blind tracks.

I've used 8 leds (4 green and 4 red), 4 resistors, 4 standard miniature toggle switches with six contacts and 4 train track conducting rail with rail interruption to perform the same function of four 7860 sets.

The device cut the electrical signal from the blind track to stop the train (red light) or uncut electricity to run the train (green light).

12volt-403.jpg

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

That's my cheap signal device for my four blind tracks.

I've used 8 leds (4 green and 4 red), 4 standard miniature toggle switches with six contacts and 4 train track conducting rail with rail interruption to perform the same function of four 7860 sets.

The device cut the electrical signal from the blind track to stop the train (red light) or uncut electricity to run the train (green light).

That's a brilliant idea LT12V, 4 signals in such a compact device, and probably about 100 times cheaper than using 7860 sets as well! :thumbup:

Just thinking out loud, it would be very easy to design a brick built dwarf signal for sidings (blind tracks) and run them from a circuit like yours, and leave the expensive 7860 signals for the mainline. It's beautiful... :cry_happy:

Edited by Beej

That's a brilliant idea LT12V, 4 signals in such a compact device, and probably about 100 times cheaper than using 7860 sets as well! :thumbup:

Just thinking out loud, it would be very easy to design a brick built dwarf signal for sidings (blind tracks) and run them from a circuit like yours, and leave the expensive 7860 signals for the mainline. It's beautiful... :cry_happy:

Thanks Beej,

I you have hit the bull's eye! :tongue:

I'm also impressed by your electronic solution ...the video of the three trains on the same little loop is totally cool! :thumbup:

What kind of components have you used?

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

I was looking for that reference to the extension of PF, anyone in here knows about that? I forgot to save the link...

B.t.w. the http://www.talkingel.../SignalsP1.html idea is indeed great, I already thought about that too. When more important projects are under control I will share my ideas.

On my layout, I alone can safely control 4 trains at the same time, just have one or two waiting before I let the next let it pass / cross.

LEGOCITY_SH_small.jpg

And the remaining trains are parked on the layout:

2011-08-30%25252016.00.05.jpg2011-08-09%25252014.17.23.jpg

But if friends come over, it is possible to have some excellent multiplayer fun with 5 or more trains.