Sign in to follow this  
Zeya

Skyrim

Is anyone else playing the new Elder Scrolls game? How are you liking it?

I played a tiny bit of Morrowind and a fair number of hours of Oblivion (restarted and faded away a couple times). I also played to the end of Fallout 3.

I'm liking most of the improvements they did for Skyrim so far. Honestly, if any game needed "dumbing down" (heavy air quotes there), it's the Elder Scrolls series. Alchemy was so boring and obtuse in the old games, and I find the new Alchemy menu much easier to use. I'm also liking the smithing too. And no more need to carry around heavy alchemy gear or repair hammers, it seems. I'm only in like the 2nd or 3rd town, about to fight my first dragon (or so they are leading me to believe), so I'll see how that goes. The visuals are definitely improved too. The characters look more natural now and I'm liking the snowy feel of the landscape.

I also think I've finally learned to stop going through every barrel and house in the game. I used to want to play a sneaky thief character. I would pickpocket all over the place, pick locks, and steal all kinds of stuff. I think I'm happier now that I've moved away from that. I think you get better stuff from dungeon raiding and playing quests. I'm doing a sort of spellsword build now - an Imperial that uses destruction with the left hand and a one handed weapon with the other. Liking it so far.

Hopefully this one will last me some time.

P.S. I passed up on Assassin's Creed Revelations and settled on Skyrim. I'm glad I did. Having a lot of fun with Skyrim.

Oh, my, yes--Skyrim is currently taking up much of my time. The game is so huge in scale it defies definition. Killing dragons is a definite highlight--just don't think that a giant is easier to kill, because they're not!

Haven't been following the main quest--there's just too much to do and explore! Every time I wander off I find some old castle to explore.

Definitely a game worth the money.

Yeah, I just wish I had more time to play! I've been getting up an hour early in the morning so I can play before going to work.

I've only fought one dragon so far, and I got the impression that it was intentionally easy (there was a small army of NPC friendlies with me helping). I also find myself doing the side content. I do that with other games too where I have to clear all the side content before going forward in the main quest. Although with Skyrim, I think I might just sort of travel to the closest thing and then back to town to sell/craft, rinse and repeat.

I've squirreled away hours in Skyrim. One of the best games I've ever played.

I was going for a destruction mage, and I am indeed level 50 or so in it, but I've delved into other combat skills, and am now just an overall battlemage. Argonians for the win. :sweet: I do find enemies often a lot harder than dragons, if there's enough of them. 8 Forsworn and a Troll > Dragon. :wacko:

All I can say is when's the DLC? :laugh:

Oh god yes! I've played maybe 18 hours so far... Unfortunately I got it for PS3 and it needs a patch but at the moment the game isn't bothering me too much with bugs.

I've been playing the Main Quest and Imperial faction quests so far, loving the Roman Armor! :sweet: Oh and I did enough of the companions questline to become a werewolf :thumbup:

Cannot wait for DLC and for MODS for PC, which I'll be getting sometime next year. :devil:

Anyone see this? http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/11/23/skyrim-mystery-why-are-other-countries-built-into-the-game.aspx

I almost think this is for a future DLC or at least to let modders get at it. :wub:

Amazing game! Just love the graphics and exploring everywhere. I like the mountainous landscape, and there are so many things you can do in the game! I think I may make some LEGO creations based off of the game.

In the game I'm a mage that also uses a mace.

^I also can't wait to see what the DLC's will look like.

I used to be an AFOL like you, then I took an arrow to the knee.

:laugh:

:laugh_hard:

:laugh:

:laugh_hard:

"I used to be the Special Themes moderator, then I took an arrow to the knee. And somebody stole my sweet role."

Rumours

"I saw a Mudcrab the other day. Nasty little creatures."

Skyrim: game of the year and best RPG. Well deserved!

I used to be an AFOL like you, then I took an arrow to the knee.

:tongue:

I use to joke about taking an arrow to the knee like you, then I took an arrow to the knee. :wink:

But seriously has anyone taken an arrow in the knee? I had one right at the beginning of the game and it was stuck there for like an hour of gameplay. Good thing no one has stolen my sweetroll yet.

On even more serious note, good to hear it won game of the year.

But seriously has anyone taken an arrow in the knee? I had one right at the beginning of the game and it was stuck there for like an hour of gameplay.

No, but I did spend some considerable time running around with an arrow through the head. :laugh:

But seriously has anyone taken an arrow in the knee? I had one right at the beginning of the game and it was stuck there for like an hour of gameplay. Good thing no one has stolen my sweetroll yet.

On even more serious note, good to hear it won game of the year.

I had an arrow in the arm for the first half of the game. :laugh:

Glad to see the game got game of the year. Here's to a Game of the Year edition! :sweet:

I played a bunch more this weekend. I'm at level 22. But I'm not very far along any of the main quest lines. I tend to do side quests because I like unlocking places on the map. I've done a lot of smithing and enchanting. And alchemy. :)

I ran into what I assume is a random dragon. But he was really buggy. He kept flying close and then would pop away into the far distance suddenly. Maybe it was because I was around some NPCs by a little roadside inn and he's not supposed to kill NPCs? I'm not sure. It was pretty disappointing. This is on the Xbox 360 with the latest patches and everything. I hope this bugginess doesn't ruin the game. I think I'll try going and visiting the "graybeard" guys so I can find out more about dragons, and hopefully encounter some of them for fun and profit.

I played a bunch more this weekend. I'm at level 22. But I'm not very far along any of the main quest lines. I tend to do side quests because I like unlocking places on the map. I've done a lot of smithing and enchanting. And alchemy. :)

I ran into what I assume is a random dragon. But he was really buggy. He kept flying close and then would pop away into the far distance suddenly. Maybe it was because I was around some NPCs by a little roadside inn and he's not supposed to kill NPCs? I'm not sure. It was pretty disappointing. This is on the Xbox 360 with the latest patches and everything. I hope this bugginess doesn't ruin the game. I think I'll try going and visiting the "graybeard" guys so I can find out more about dragons, and hopefully encounter some of them for fun and profit.

You sure there weren't 2? :wink: I'd believe you anyway if not, but it hasn't happened to me. It is a bit of a buggy game, but nothing to effect of New Vegas. Besides, it is a new engine. The main quest, from what I've seen, only has one scripted dragon encounter so far, but the Greybeards can help you spend your souls, if you know what I mean. :sweet: I still haven't finished it, but I never seem to finish Bethesda RPGs. Not Oblivion, not Fallout 3, not New Vegas...there's just too much else to do. :laugh:

It's probably Alduin (main dragon), I saw him fly over many times before I killed him. For I dont think you see other dragons from too far a distance.

It's probably Alduin (main dragon), I saw him fly over many times before I killed him. For I dont think you see other dragons from too far a distance.

Yeah he was at quite a distance. As I said, I haven't done the graybeards thing yet, so don't fully know everything lore-wise or otherwise.

Actually I got him to aggro up close. He perched on the roof of the inn and started blowing fire. I knew that I probably couldn't beat him, and also I didn't want him killing the quest NPC I was trying to talk to right there. So I hustled my armor-clad behind into the inn and then healed up and exited again. When I came out, he was gone again flying around. At that point he was being buggy and kept popping away into the distance.

Oh well, hopefully this fixes itself or they do another patch. They just released one that fixed the issue of dragons flying backwards; I would have thought these issues would be fixed by that patch. I guess not.

I just need time to play this game! Something tells me I'll be hacking away at it for the next six months or so. :wink:

Yeah he was at quite a distance. As I said, I haven't done the graybeards thing yet, so don't fully know everything lore-wise or otherwise.

Actually I got him to aggro up close. He perched on the roof of the inn and started blowing fire. I knew that I probably couldn't beat him, and also I didn't want him killing the quest NPC I was trying to talk to right there. So I hustled my armor-clad behind into the inn and then healed up and exited again. When I came out, he was gone again flying around. At that point he was being buggy and kept popping away into the distance.

That is weird. I got a strange glitch as well - I fast traveled, saw Alduin in the distance regenerating a dragon. I went and killed the latter, than fast traveled back to that location. It seemed as if the exact same thing happened - except this time the dragon was invisible and had barely any health. :wacko: I killed it again and got extra dragon scales and bones, but no soul.

I'm not gonna lie. I've been waiting for the next Elder Scrolls game ever since Oblivion. That's a good four years, so hopefully it shouldn't come as a surprise that I've logged 220 hours so far. :tongue: Hey, don't give me that look! It's the holidays! :grin:

Anyway, yes, I love Skyrim, even though it has it's fair share of bugs and glitches, it's still the magnificent game that I've been waiting for and it did not disappoint. Worth the wait, I say. I know I posted this in the "What are you listening to?" thread, but I feel it will be more appreciated here. A brilliant cover of the bard's song, 'The Dragonborn Comes'.

Also there's this I found one day, which I thought was excellent. :grin: Youtube user Robbaz, King of Sweden teaches us how to be a bad-megablocks Viking in Skyrim. :laugh:

Oh, er, caution: NSFW language. :wink:

I love this game - it's kept me busy for a couple of months now, and I'm barely through 10% of the main quest line! I've become super powerful though, so I'm worried it's going to get boring.

This is such a great game!

I've mever played the previoys Elder Scrolls games, I decided to try this one. I'm blown away by its scope, it's an entire world! An open world with a great story. And the graphics are very very good as well.

There are some bug though...

Still - best RPG I have ever seen!

This is such a great game!

I've mever played the previoys Elder Scrolls games, I decided to try this one. I'm blown away by its scope, it's an entire world! An open world with a great story. And the graphics are very very good as well.

There are some bug though...

Still - best RPG I have ever seen!

Glad to hear you're getting into it. :sweet: If you manage to get everything done, Oblivion sells for cheap, despite it still being a ground-breaking game. :thumbup: Of course, there's always the upcoming DLC...which I am dying to get news on. :cry_happy: