Rato

New 2007 city sets

I missed this info too. Thanks. I was just looking at this old garbage truck:

[...]

I don't remember this set at all.

I remember it from the catalogs, and since last year I own one. Great and fun set, "a true classic". And today's Advent Calendar sets fits it perfectly.

I've wanted to mod it to 6wide but haven't gotten around to do it yet... as with my whole layout which sits there in bits and pieces...

The Firestation and the Pick up lokks great. *wub*

But the hovercraft looks not real. It looks like a scifi vehicle. :-X

The Firestation had great details like the garage doors. And I like the white lights by the fire truck and the pick up. It looks more real like the yellow. :-)

Actually the hovercraft is bang on... here is a pic of the Canadian Coast Guard Hovercraft...

http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpictures03b/waban-aki-m-pich

Someone from Lego must love hovercrafts. There's Hovercraft Hideout, Batman's Hovercraft, and now a new fire hovercraft. That makes three and I've never seen a real hovercraft. To tell you the truth, I never knew there was such a thing.

Yes, there must be. But I can't blame them, they're so damn awesome! They can go from land right in to water and visa versa.

T045679A.jpg

Even the U.S. Nay uses them now. Kids must love playing with these things (A minature version in Lego of course) .

USN_hovercraft.jpg

Although I've never really fancied them in Lego. Seems kind of obsure and useless to me. I have both of the older hovercraft sets BTW.

Someone from Lego must love hovercrafts. There's Hovercraft Hideout, Batman's Hovercraft, and now a new fire hovercraft. That makes three and I've never seen a real hovercraft. To tell you the truth, I never knew there was such a thing.

The US military has about 3 I think, that's all I have even seen. They are honestly pointless to me. I have seen small ones that save people on ice, but big ones, never seen the point of.

They're becoming more and more pointless as the paradigm of war shifts from the old fashioned battlefield with two sides on either side of a "front line" to hit-and-run attacks, cruise missile attacks from half way around the world, and so on.

They were originally intended for the military, to be primarily drop ships, to let soldiers off on beach fronts.

Wow! I had no idea that these were as common as they are in "real life".
The Canadian Coastguard use them a *lot* because they float on an air-cushion above the water so they can move fast and not worry about hitting chunks of ice in the water.

Britain has one of the only passenger hovercraft routes left in the world from Portsmouth to Ryde on the Isle of Wight.

249180977_19895c83ed.jpg

I've been on it and it's LOUD and very fast, making the crossing in 10 minutes, about half the time of the fastest catamaran. It parks on the Portsmouth seafront right up near the city centre. No surprise then that I'm currently building a moc of it for my city!

I'm of an age where I remember the hovercrafts used to cross the channel between England and France.
These ones only went out of service in October 2000 so you wouldn't have to be that old! X-D The cross-channel hovercraft were so huge that they could carry cars as well as passengers, and have been retired to the Hovercraft Museum.

These ones only went out of service in October 2000 so you wouldn't have to be that old! X-D The cross-channel hovercraft were so huge that they could carry cars as well as passengers, and have been retired to the Hovercraft Museum.

Really? I remember seeing them all the time in early 80s, but haven't seen one in years. I was watching Diamonds Are Forever yesterday and it reminded me.

There is a hovercraft chase scene as the opening scene of Die Another Day too.

There is a hovercraft chase scene as the opening scene of Die Another Day too.

Aren't there still hovercraft routes between Belgium and England (Ostend/Dover)?

I remember seeing those but that was already six years ago or so....

@Brickster: Hovercrafts are leftovers from an age that man still believed that everything could happen (travel to the moon, super speedy boats ,the concorde). Sadly all those machines are very expensive and wastefull.)

i think you're right. at least, I remember them as well... from about 6 years ago...

By showing a picture of that Canadian Coast Guard Hovercraft you have showed about 3/4 of our naval firepower (notice how it has NO guns?). LOL.

I want to see pics of the Harbor station so bad. I can't wait.

Aren't there still hovercraft routes between Belgium and England (Ostend/Dover)?

I remember seeing those but that was already six years ago or so....

The Hoverspeed company ran the cross-channel hovercraft, and they also ran ferries between Dover and Ostend, but I don't think they ever used hovercraft on that route, only SeaCats.

I bought the hovercraft because I like the fire sets. But, being a firefighter, an actual fire hovercraft would not be practical. The nozzle reaction would actually push the boat he opposite way. A hovercraft would waste alot of fuel overcoming this. But it's a nice set.

I bought the hovercraft because I like the fire sets. But, being a firefighter, an actual fire hovercraft would not be practical. The nozzle reaction would actually push the boat he opposite way. A hovercraft would waste alot of fuel overcoming this. But it's a nice set.

Your techno-babble makes me believe you X-D

BTW, any news on the garbage truck, marina, etc.?

-l2k-

seen the hovercraft at my Lego Store

but holding off on buying because the bottom of it seems to be one gigantic brick.

Anyone who bought it comment on what the base is?

and how whatever wheels are underneath it work?

seen the hovercraft at my Lego Store

but holding off on buying because the bottom of it seems to be one gigantic brick.

Anyone who bought it comment on what the base is?

and how whatever wheels are underneath it work?

I saw it too yesterday at the Lego Shore, and was wondering the same thing.

No other new sets, aka the Star Wars sets, of course they show up today, I could have ordered them and got free shipping.