Piranha

2012 Pirates?

I wish I had some inside knowledge... but alas I am as clueless as the rest of you.

I have read everyone's thoughts and my opinion is as follows...

Last year we got PotC in May/June because that was when the movie came out. We got the BP in November when the DVD came out, so I don't think a lack of a winter refresh means the end of the line.

There is still plenty of material to choose from for more sets. Someone said the minifig of Davy Jones in the Black Pearl signaled the end... But even with Davy Jones in a set, there is still plenty of other characters we are missing (Bootstrap, Governor Swan, Cutler Beckett... many, many, many more) and plenty of really good playable sets as others have mentioned. Where is the Kraken? Where is Tortuga? Where is the Dutchman? Where is the docks or jail scene from the first movie? Singapore anyone? Hoe about Tia Dalma's shack? Any sets to feature Pintel and Ragetti?

I think we will see more PotC so long as LEGO has the Disney liscense. It is my opinion LEGO wanted pirates back and only capped pirates II because of the PotC liscense. I am a little disturbed we haven't heard ANY concrete rumors, but I think we will see something in 2012 to keep the theme going for 2013 and more PotC movies.

I was in a Lego store today, the manager confirmed LOTR, but when I asked about Pirates, they said they had heard nothing about anything new - apparently POTC did not sell well.

They confirmed LOTR?! Well, there goes my wallet. I can understand POTC not selling too well though. It doesn't really "fit" with any of the other pirates, so it's going against the core of the Pirate builders.

Last days I am visiting some shops in the area to find some Piratestuff of the Pirates II-line (Today I found 2 Imperial Guard sets (3€), woehoew!!!). In some shops they still got a lot of POTC, while in other shops, almost everything is sold out. To be more concrete, the shops where the price is like the price on Lego.com, almost everything is sold, while the shops where it's a lot more expensive, they still got plenty of POTC-sets. (For an example: I bought London Escape for 50 Euro, in most shops it's 65(!!!!) euro). It has nothing to do with the popularity of the POTC-line, but just because most shops wanted to gain extra money from it, which failed.

Now I am waiting a few months so I can buy the missing POTC-sets for a nice bargain! :D

One thing is still missing in every shop: the Black Pearl, the only POTC ship I really want :p

I guess/hope they are going to launch him together with new sets of POTC.

And let's dream now:

wouldn't it be awesome for some POTC-sets with VOC-soldiers in it? as a preview for an upcomming pirate-theme around the VOC :D

Since I was very curious about this whole Pirates 2012 rumor, I decided to e-mail LEGO Direct. They responded today, and I have a rep's answer below (Just so you know, I inquired about if this 2000 piece Flying Dutchmann is real, and if any new POTC or regular Pirates sets are on their way): :pirate:

Dear ---------,

Thanks for your interest in our products. We're honored to hear from one of our biggest LEGO fans!

I'm afraid the set you inquired about isn't available to purchase at the moment! It might be around soon, but I can't tell you about any new LEGO® toys until they're actually available for purchase!

The best way to get sneak previews of our toys is to join the LEGO club, it's free! We'll even send you six LEGO magazines a year! All you need to do is go to www.LEGOclub.com and sign up, or call one of our experts at the phone number listed below and let them know you want to join.

Thank you again for contacting us. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email or call one of our friendly Customer Care Advisors at 1-800-835-4386 (from within the US or Canada) or 1-860-749-0706 (from outside the US or Canada). We are available Monday through Friday from 8AM - 10PM EST and Saturday through Sunday from 10AM to 6PM EST. Please have your reference number handy if you need to get in touch with us: 029870713A

Happy building!

-----

LEGO Direct Consumer Services

What are your opinions on that? :bonaparte:

Edited by brickoftheweek

Since I was very curious about this whole Pirates 2012 rumor, I decided to e-mail LEGO Direct. They responded today, and I have a rep's answer below (Just so you know, I inquired about if this 2000 piece Flying Dutchmann is real, and if any new POTC or regular Pirates sets are on their way): :pirate:

Dear ---------,

Thanks for your interest in our products. We're honored to hear from one of our biggest LEGO fans!

I'm afraid the set you inquired about isn't available to purchase at the moment! It might be around soon, but I can't tell you about any new LEGO® toys until they're actually available for purchase!

The best way to get sneak previews of our toys is to join the LEGO club, it's free! We'll even send you six LEGO magazines a year! All you need to do is go to www.LEGOclub.com and sign up, or call one of our experts at the phone number listed below and let them know you want to join.

Thank you again for contacting us. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email or call one of our friendly Customer Care Advisors at 1-800-835-4386 (from within the US or Canada) or 1-860-749-0706 (from outside the US or Canada). We are available Monday through Friday from 8AM - 10PM EST and Saturday through Sunday from 10AM to 6PM EST. Please have your reference number handy if you need to get in touch with us: 029870713A

Happy building!

-----

LEGO Direct Consumer Services

What are your opinions on that? :bonaparte:

Standard response. I've seen a million like them. All it means is that if a theme is coming, it's still under wraps. And we kinda knew that. :pir-tongue:

Standard response. I've seen a million like them. All it means is that if a theme is coming, it's still under wraps. And we kinda knew that. :pir-tongue:

Yeah, I kinda figured that. You know, I think its just best to stop the rumors until another, and stronger, piece of info comes out. Just posting that response to see if anyone could figure out anything from it that I didn't already. We shall see of the pirates will return! :pir_laugh2:

Well, I'm hoping for more pirates or Pirates of the Caribbean stuff to come out, but in the meantime, I'm taking advantage of the fact that the blue pirate torso (this one) is available via PaB...

I definitely would like to see some VOC/East India Company soldiers and such as well...

After spending my bday money last weekend spreading out of just star wars only collecting and just built the Isla de la Muerta, and building the black pearl, I hoe they make the flying dutchman.

I do not think they could be out of ideas, there are plent of things they could do, a boat with a small island a dog Pintel and Ragetti and Davy's heart, maybe Will freeing Jack from prison, maybe battle packs like they do for star wars like the Spanish vs the English, mini ships, maybe a play set with a mid sized pearl vs the dutchman, Singapor set, Fengs ship used to get Jack in AWE, there are plenty of things if they want to do it.

It's still a mystery why they didn't produce more sets, only thing I can think of is that they waited to see how well the first series of POTC sets sell and then decide wether to launch or not launch a second wave...

the decided not too I guess ?

Anyway, I've given up hope on a second wave of potc sets, we would have heard of it if there were coming more,

how realistic is a 5th POTC movie anyway ?

It's still a mystery why they didn't produce more sets, only thing I can think of is that they waited to see how well the first series of POTC sets sell and then decide wether to launch or not launch a second wave...

Anyway, I've given up hope on a second wave of potc sets, we would have heard of it if there were coming more,

The 5th movie is plenty realistic, seeing as despite less critical acclaim than earlier PotC movies the latest one was a financial success. My best guess for why we haven't seen more sets is because that movie won't be out until at least 2013, and LEGO wants to pace themselves so that sets are released when the movies are fresh in the public conciousness. I'm extremely doubtful that the PotC theme is over, and I think a wave without new sets in no way means that there won't be any more in the future.

Well the timing of the first wave was to coincide with the movie release, so it is possible it is a second half theme and not a first half theme.

There is still plenty of places to go with more sets. Howver, if I am being honest I must also add I wasn't thrilled with the first wave of PotC sets. They had some cool new pieces, but with the exception of QAR, none of the sets really struck me as being a good representation of the movie scene. I think that might be the issue LEGO faces with themes. They are trying to recreate "a scene" in themes like PoP and Indiana Jones and PotC and not focusing on making sets people would want even if the theme name wasn't stamped on the box.

I think Star Wars has survivied as a theme because people would want those sets/vehicles even if they have never seen Star Wars or the Clone Wars TV shows.

I personally think LEGO should try to move away from set pieces like the wacky rock formation in Isla de Muerta or the goofy fountain and focus on making things people like to build like houses, ships, and carts.

On the LotR thing... I have a feeling it is going to happen. I have no more knowledge than the average joe and haven't seen any photos or anything, but there is so much smoke, I think there must be a fire somewhere. Like Pirates II, there is some concern by castle fans that there will be no Castle sets in 2012. I think it is because they are working away on LotR. I am a bit surprised since the movies are PG-13, but then again, so was the last Harry Potter flcik, SW: Revenge of the Sith and PotC. I think the series will succeed so long as LEGO focus on building things people would want to build outside of the film franchise like a hobbit's house, or an outpost, or a seige weapon and not silly things like a hobbit and a troll in the forest with a single tree as the only build element. I think we should save the LotR disucssion for the LotR thread though. Ceck that out here

Your kidding right, despite the fact 4 sucked it made allot of money and I promise you devil I mean disney are not done sucking that franchise dry, the only question is if Depp will be in it.

Although you have a point, 2012 star wars set rumours have been around for like 3 months confirmed for at least a month, there are pictures of new city sets, unless they only doing one wave per year.

well the qoute in my original poste by On Stanger Tides knew of LOTR (as I think he is a LEGO employee), the chances went up again alot I would say, because if LOTR is true then I would expect the information on POTC 2012 to be correct too.

I think that your information would be right Macoco :) I hope that POTC will stay in 2012 for another wave :) Yesterday I received an email from Lego Direct Consumer and they said me that the are still producing the line on 2012, and of course, they will be launching more new sets in a 2nd wave on "presumably" summer... so... I think that there are some hopes! :)

Regards!

Yes more POTC sets are on there way. I have just been to my local Lego store and was talking about LOTR and they revealed that there will be a few more POTC sets including the Flying Dutchman which I was shown a picture of. It looks large and detailed. They seemed very open about it, so can't be long till an official confirmation by Lego is announced.

... including the Flying Dutchman which I was shown a picture of. It looks large and detailed. ...

Didn't look like this did it?

LEGO-Spongebob-3817-The-Flying-Dutchman-Pre.jpg

Jokes aside I hope it's a nice colour, more brown or black would be a disappointment.

well, this is all pretty bad news, pirates and castle both licensed, means TLG isn't getting any more money from me over the next years!!!

well, this is all pretty bad news, pirates and castle both licensed, means TLG isn't getting any more money from me over the next years!!!

To each their own, it's not bad news for all.

Well at least you can still enjoy the brick without buying new ones.

Yes more POTC sets are on there way. I have just been to my local Lego store and was talking about LOTR and they revealed that there will be a few more POTC sets including the Flying Dutchman which I was shown a picture of. It looks large and detailed. They seemed very open about it, so can't be long till an official confirmation by Lego is announced.

:oh: Nice, any hints to the other sets?

Not sure if this info on the Flying Dutchman is ture but here is a link.Link

nah, someone made that up, besides look at the set number, 6234 is an excisting set already

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6234

That costum wiki is full of nonsense.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

i also have doubt about a 2000+ pieces dutchman. but if there is an official dutchman coming, i would be glad already, if it will not be that rediculous as the official black pearl they released^^

Im really not sure how lego is going to capture all the details of the flying dutchman. Even at 2000 pieces its going to be hard. If this set is truly coming out its going to be either really awesome or suck big time and look nothing like the real ship. With that said I hope they come out with another BIG ship to go against the imperial flagship as I have one sitting under my tree as I type this

I dont realy like big ships like QAR. Why? Bigger the ship is, the more money it will cost. I would only love to see some smaller ships like Caribbean Clipper.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker