Piranha

2012 Pirates?

Rumors:

All of my managers said POTC has been doing way more than expected. He also showed me a 2000+ piece Flying Dutchmen that is supposed to come out in 2012. I have always loved castle and pirate movies, like I said earlier, I am a Knight templar and a pirate captain reenactor. But I have seen more come of these licensed themes then out of regular ones. I don't see the problem with the liscened themes. It is always infinitley better for them to do a related fleshy line inbetween classic lines instead of nothing at all during the brainstorming process.

Interesting.

Well, (if this is true) I hope the Flying Dutchman will be a "last hurrah" for the POTC theme like the Imperial Flagship and Joust sets. I'm eager to see classic pirates return, in any form.

If this rumor is true, then... there goes my money! :pir_laugh2:

I hope that if it's real, that some new minifigs will be in it.

I don't think it's true, yet I hope it is :pir_laugh2:

But 2000 pieces ?

that's more than the Imperial Flagship so it would be very expensive, especially considering that it's a licensed theme.

Imagine, more than 150 euro for a set ?

very unlikely, that would be more of a collectors item and that's not really the target group the POTC line is aiming for.

Oh well, you can always hope :pir-classic:

From my point of view, I would likely to see Black pearl in USC form, cuz it is best ship in POTC overall.

Always survives and apears again...Good old clasic design.

But flying dutchman isnt that bad, i hope i could chanege it into black pearl somehow, if it comes out of course.

the price would be ridiculus high, at least i hope they would make it as best ship in lego ever.

like full interior, enough cannons (more than four on each side), captain cabin in its best and so on...i guess i'll have to dream on, because i'm not sure about this set at all...

I bet it will cost the same as the Executor. That means my son will never be able to save that much money. I hope it ends up being like £149.99. But we can only hope.....

Interesting.

Well, (if this is true) I hope the Flying Dutchman will be a "last hurrah" for the POTC theme like the Imperial Flagship and Joust sets. I'm eager to see classic pirates return, in any form.

I agree. On the bright side though the more potc Lego produces the more money I save. If potc really is selling so well I don't see why Lego would discontinue it. Look how long Star Wars has been around for.

I agree. On the bright side though the more potc Lego produces the more money I save. If potc really is selling so well I don't see why Lego would discontinue it. Look how long Star Wars has been around for.

One difference between PotC and Star Wars is that the Star Wars franchise is continually updated in the form of Clone Wars, video games, etc.; whereas PotC largely is limited to the movies being released. For this reason, it's possible that PotC is neither ending for good nor continuing next year-- perhaps it's simply going to be on hiatus until the next movie is on the horizon.

I do agree that any pirates at all is a good thing, but if they are going to end the POTC line, PLEASE give us one East India or Royal Navy ship! Or heck, just give us Lego Pirates 2012.

Rumor time:

I don't want to discredit your source, but there are at least three strikes against the rumor:

First off, D2C sets usually get released in January (except for the SW ones and the modular buildings) and next January's D2C set is 10223 Kingdoms Joust. Secondly, we've already gotten Davy Jones and the two most important crewmembers of his, and I don't think TLG would've thrown them in the Black Pearl if they had a Flying Dutchman set up their sleeves. A set of this size would need a couple of exclusive minifigs, and I couldn't think of many relevant ones (of course they could include four or five new crewmembers, but there are more important characters begging to be released as minifigs :pir_laugh2: ). And finally, there's already going to be a 2012 set called "The Flying Dutchman", namely the SpongeBob Squarepants one. TLG would never release two completely different sets that share the same name in the exact same year. Again, if they were planning to release a POTC FD, they would have changed the other set's name, cause that would've been a lot easier to change than this one :pir-wink: But despite the points I made, I'd still be pleasantly surprised if the rumor turned out to be true :pir-grin:

Although the source is less than reliable, lets run with the idea. 2000 pieces would make a great UCS set which although has only been for SW so far could possibly be expanding to other popular licensed themes.

hmmm you are right, I forgot about the sponge bob set, are there any pictures of that yet?

(although I couldn't imagine a 2000 piece sponge bob set ) :pir-grin:

but the relevance of D2C being released doesn't have any bearing at all IMO, TLG releases sets when they want to. The Maersk Train came in April, Modular Buildings come whenever and Star Wars also varies with their large exclusives. I don't think a timetable is even appropriate for judging whether sets are true or not, TLG does whatever they want when they want pretty much. As well as "such and such set" is being released doesn't matter much either, again TLG can choose how and of what many large exclusives they want to produce.

To tell the truth I thought POTC was dead in the water before I heard this :pir-laugh:

Well I myself still doubt this I would also hope for other sets, maybe the Interceptor or Dauntless? Basing on this year we got 2 ships. Also would like to see some other sets as discussed in the best and worst idea thread. :thumbup:

well...it's time to save up for a 200+ dollar set, sigh, it better be great. :pir-hmpf_bad:

I don't want to discredit your source, but there are at least three strikes against the rumor:

First off, D2C sets usually get released in January (except for the SW ones and the modular buildings) and next January's D2C set is 10223 Kingdoms Joust. Secondly, we've already gotten Davy Jones and the two most important crewmembers of his, and I don't think TLG would've thrown them in the Black Pearl if they had a Flying Dutchman set up their sleeves. A set of this size would need a couple of exclusive minifigs, and I couldn't think of many relevant ones (of course they could include four or five new crewmembers, but there are more important characters begging to be released as minifigs :pir_laugh2: ). And finally, there's already going to be a 2012 set called "The Flying Dutchman", namely the SpongeBob Squarepants one. TLG would never release two completely different sets that share the same name in the exact same year. Again, if they were planning to release a POTC FD, they would have changed the other set's name, cause that would've been a lot easier to change than this one :pir-wink: But despite the points I made, I'd still be pleasantly surprised if the rumor turned out to be true :pir-grin:

They might call it something else, like "the dutchmans bounty" or "Davy Jones' revenge."

hmmm you are right, I forgot about the sponge bob set, are there any pictures of that yet?

(although I couldn't imagine a 2000 piece sponge bob set ) :pir-grin:

but the relevance of D2C being released doesn't have any bearing at all IMO, TLG releases sets when they want to. The Maersk Train came in April, Modular Buildings come whenever and Star Wars also varies with their large exclusives. I don't think a timetable is even appropriate for judging whether sets are true or not, TLG does whatever they want when they want pretty much. As well as "such and such set" is being released doesn't matter much either, again TLG can choose how and of what many large exclusives they want to produce.

To tell the truth I thought POTC was dead in the water before I heard this :pir-laugh:

Well I myself still doubt this I would also hope for other sets, maybe the Interceptor or Dauntless? Basing on this year we got 2 ships. Also would like to see some other sets as discussed in the best and worst idea thread. :thumbup:

Here's a picture of the SpongeBob set:

441px-3817-box1.jpg

I guess you're right concerning the release date cause I just realized that the FD would be only the second licensed non-SW D2C set ever released (the first one being 10217 Diagon Alley), so there's no real pattern yet. Though the set's name might be confusing to some customers, there's still the set number that would set them apart so that problem could be solved too :pir-wink: Hmm, I think I'm starting to buy into the rumor, though something tells me I should stay sceptical in order to prevent a possible disappointment :pir-laugh:

Edited by Lego-Freak

well if we don't get it, we could always use that version of it. :pir-laugh:

I also thought of something, the set could possibly contain the kraken? that would account for its pretty high piece count, ie the ship could be 1000-1500 parts leaving the rest for the Kraken?

would be cool :shark:

Edited by Macoco

There was also a super deluxe Flying Dutchman MOC made by a TLG designer. It looked to be more than 2000 pieces though. Maybe that's the image that was allegedly shown and some misunderstanding took place.

My pure speculation is that a second wave won't happen. I think the Pearl might have been a contingency, meant as "the big set" for a second wave that may not come. I hope to be proven wrong though.

I think the flying dutchman is an important ship in the movies. And it's a great ship to make an exclusive.

I hope TLC will make an exclusive to finish this pirate line. (for now)

Fenrir

I donno, the Imperial Flagship, which is non-licenced, is 1600 pieces @ $180US. A licensed POTC 2000+ piece ship would probably be $250+. That's a pretty expensive set, and out of the price range of the target demographic IMO.

Who is the Target Demographic for POTC?

Not AFOL.

honestly and sadly the line has sorta run its course. unless the decide to make "The Dutchman" and that seems highly unlikely there isn't much more places to go with it. I will lament yet another of my preferred Lego lines ending. Its getting hard to find sets now to collect.

I have conflicting opinions on this.

PotC was a summer release last time, correct? and we did get a mini update in the form of the Black Pearl (which I have very little interest in acquiring) so it could get a few more sets if it sold well.

There are also some characters missing, like the Governor AND skeleton pirates from the Black Pearl so there should be other sets TLG cold come up with.

There are also additional pirates movies in the works, so since LEGO already has the license for the movies, if the sets did well, I would think they would continue.

On the other hand, we haven't really heard anything about the theme continuing at all, and throwing Davy Jones in the Black Pearl set did seem like a way to get him out there. (Then again, my feelings on the Pearl are he might be the ONLY reason to get it, and maybe LEGO knew that!)

I think we need more people to chime in here... expect this discussion to get a blog entry soon

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Edited by ZCerberus

The way I see it is this, Lego has the license, but for how long I don't know. The sets were released to coincide with the latest movie, then the black Pearl was released to coincide with the DVD release of the movie. So now the hype has died down. It wouldn't surprise me if Lego wait to see if a next movie happens, then release some more sets to coincide with that. So POTC may well be dead for a while, but could resurface again with a release of a new movie, if they still keep the licence. Harry Potter theme came back again, so there's no reason why POTC won't come back a few years down the line either. In the mean time, Lego could well do another classic pirate line to fill the gap in between. We shall see :pir-classic:

The way I see it is this, Lego has the license, but for how long I don't know. The sets were released to coincide with the latest movie, then the black Pearl was released to coincide with the DVD release of the movie. So now the hype has died down. It wouldn't surprise me if Lego wait to see if a next movie happens, then release some more sets to coincide with that. So POTC may well be dead for a while, but could resurface again with a release of a new movie, if they still keep the licence. Harry Potter theme came back again, so there's no reason why POTC won't come back a few years down the line either. In the mean time, Lego could well do another classic pirate line to fill the gap in between. We shall see :pir-classic:

Although I sincerely want this theme to stick around, you have some very valid points. The UCS version of the Flying Dutchman doesn't really make sense since there is no advertising for PotC right now, so it would fall all on LEGO. Of course if LEGO would get their heads on straight they'd realize that they would sell plenty to the growing number of AFOL's in the world.