Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#15: Hoisting Down the Jolly Roger

Eric was glad to be at sea again. The Bonaparte vessel they were sailing with was a fine vessel, nevertheless, Eric longed to sail a Norse drakkar once more. The proximity of the sailor to the, often icy, water made the travelling via longboat a thrilling experience. Boat, crew and ocean were one, wind and water uniting them.

The tall Nord was leaning against the railing of the Sunflower, arms crossed over his chest. He eyed the scene on the deck attentively and saw how some of his partymembers were going to try their hand at some gambling game. Eric would sit out the first round, maybe he could join in later. Gambling wasn't his forte, but he enjoyed the tension the games brought with them. He had tried his hand at such games several times but Luko never seemed to be on his side. Still, an easy chance for money is as good as any.

heroicaquest15-aquilo.jpg

"Glad to hear you're interested. Seafaring can sometimes be extremely dull, so we sailors have invented all sorts of games to pass the time. This is but one of them, taught to me by a Drandoran seamage. The name of the game is..."

heroicaquest15-triplemagic.jpg

"The rules are as follows."

~ The betting board contains six squares, each assigned with a different colour but referred to as their corresponding elements.

Fire

Water

Wind

Earth

Light

Darkness

~ Each player places the desired amount of gold on the element or elements they wish to bet on.

~ Three coloured dice are then thrown.

~ The player wins or loses their bet depending on which colours the three dice shows.

~ If the colour the player bets on turns out once in the dice, the player will get their gold back.

~ If the colour shows up twice, the player will win double the amount of bet, and if all three dice show the same colour that the player bet on, triple the amount.

~ If none of the dice show the colour that the player bet on, they lose their gold.

"Are the rules clear? Don't worry about how much you can bet, I've got plenty of gold to cover your wins. I happen to be quite the gambler, you see."

"Now, all of you who wish to play, please place your bets on the desired element or several elements. I will then throw the dice and we'll see if you've won anything."

"I assume that all the dice are the same and have all six colours on them? If that is the case, I shall bet 5 gold on Earth."

I suppose a little gold couldn't do any harm. I'll bet 5 gold on Light and Darkness, each.

Bets:

Ad-Hoh - 5 gold on Earth

Hybros - 5 gold on Light and 5 gold on Darkness

Erdathcath - 5 gold on Fire

"Alrighty! Let's roll the dice!"

black.jpgred.jpgblue.jpg

"Hybros and Erdathcath will get 5 gold back, but Hybros and Ad-Hoh lost 5 gold."

heroicaavatar.jpg

Ad-Hoh
(played by ADHO15)

Gold:

Erdathcath Madilinas
(played by The_Customizer)

Gold:

6043175947_18b74f9140_t.jpg

Hybros
(played by JimButcher)

Gold:

"Want to bet some more? You can't win if you don't play, after all."

"Want to bet some more? You can't win if you don't play, after all."

:sad: "I had better not."

Eric decided to join in on the fun.

"5 gold on water, fire and earth each"

He hoped he'd at least win some money or that a lot of would would be gained during the quests because his finances were melting like ice for the sun.

Eric decided to join in on the fun.

"5 gold on water, fire and earth each"

He hoped he'd at least win some money or that a lot of would would be gained during the quests because his finances were melting like ice for the sun.

Maurice didn't want to gamble, but he couldn't resist to look while his party companions were playing the game. They were not doing great so far... :hmpf:

"Excuse me, Eric. Are you sure you want to do that bet? You can only get back your money as best, not win anything."

"Yes, perhaps it's not a good idea to bet on more than one element. Hehe... you're less likely to gain money. With that I'll attempt to get my money back by putting 10 gold on Darkness."

OoC: The others are right, Khorne. I feel like being fair to you, so I will only count one of your bets.

Bets:

Eric - 5 gold on Water

Hybros - 10 gold on Darkness

Christopher - 12 gold on Light

Erdathcath - 5 gold on Wind

Rolls:

black.jpggreen.jpgblack.jpg

"Darkness came up twice, which means Hybros gets 20 gold back, while the others lose their gold. Want to bet some more?"

Party:

heroicaavatar.jpg

Ad-Hoh
(played by ADHO15)

Level 10½ Mage
*resistant to magic*

Power:

Health:
14/14

Ether:
14/14

Gold:

Inventory:
Rhabdomance Staff (WP:5), Robe of Spell Resistance, Emerald (Wood), Amethyst (Darkness), Ruby (Fire) 4 Potions, 3 Tonics, 2 Lightning Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall
(Fred Fred Burger)

Level 9 Knight

Power:

Defence:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Great Sword (WP:7), Mockthril Shield (WP:4), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Remedy, Mead, Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bone

Erdathcath Madilinas

Level 9 Ranger

Power:

Health:
15/15

Gold:

Inventory:
Longbow (WP:5), Helmet (+1 max. health), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify), Potion, Grand Potion, Phoenix Essence, 2 Smoke Bombs, Fire Bomb, 2 Ice Bombs, Lightning Bomb, Water Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope

eric_small.jpg

Eric
(played by Khorne) *Party Leader*

Level 12½ Barbarian

Power:

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Godricsleif (WP:8,
ice-elemental
), Potion, Mead, Venom, Bedroll, Bone

Hybros
(played by JimButcher)

Level 10 Rogue

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:10), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5), Throwing Knife (WP:5), Helmet (+1 max. health), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, 2 Remedies, Smoke Bomb, 3 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Smelling Salts, Shovel, Bone, Bedroll

6274181516_11b6a760ac_t.jpg

Maurice Ratibor
(played by Etzel)

Level 9 Cleric

Power:

Health:
18/18

Ether:
13/13

Gold:

Inventory:
Diamond Mace (WP:4,
light-elemental
), Helmet (+1 max. health), Scroll of Sleep, 2 Potions, 2 Tonics, 2 Nostrum, Phoenix Essence, Venom

With five gold more than he had before he started betting, Hybros thought it best to quit while he was ahead. "I'll quit now, thanks for the game Aquilo."

OOC: Sandy, since I have the helmet now my health should be 19. Never mind. :blush:

OoC: Whoops, looks like I really am bad at gambling. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, everybody :classic: .

"Another 5 on water! It's bound to turn up sometime. Or no, wait, I'm feeling lucky. Make that bet 7 gold!" Eric grinned and hoped water would turn up this time.

OoC: I gave my extra helmet to Hybros earlier, it seems you missed that in the updated stats. :wink:

OoC: Fixed!

Bets:

Erdathcath - 10 gold on Light

Eric - 7 gold on Water

Rolls:

black.jpgblue.jpggreen.jpg

"These results mean that Eric gets his money back, while Erdathcath loses 10 gold. Any more bets? No? That's too bad. I almost got enough money for a ship of my own, you see." :tongue:

The dismayed party did not even speak to the elven First Mate for the remainder of the journey.

Party:

heroicaavatar.jpg

Ad-Hoh
(played by ADHO15)

Level 10½ Mage
*resistant to magic*

Power:

Health:
14/14

Ether:
14/14

Gold:

Inventory:
Rhabdomance Staff (WP:5), Robe of Spell Resistance, Emerald (Wood), Amethyst (Darkness), Ruby (Fire) 4 Potions, 3 Tonics, 2 Lightning Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall
(Fred Fred Burger)

Level 9 Knight

Power:

Defence:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Great Sword (WP:7), Mockthril Shield (WP:4), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Remedy, Mead, Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bone

Erdathcath Madilinas

Level 9 Ranger

Power:

Health:
15/15

Gold:

Inventory:
Longbow (WP:5), Helmet (+1 max. health), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify), Potion, Grand Potion, Phoenix Essence, 2 Smoke Bombs, Fire Bomb, 2 Ice Bombs, Lightning Bomb, Water Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope

eric_small.jpg

Eric
(played by Khorne) *Party Leader*

Level 12½ Barbarian

Power:

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Godricsleif (WP:8,
ice-elemental
), Potion, Mead, Venom, Bedroll, Bone

Hybros
(played by JimButcher)

Level 10 Rogue

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:10), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5), Throwing Knife (WP:5), Helmet (+1 max. health), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, 2 Remedies, Smoke Bomb, 3 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Smelling Salts, Shovel, Bone, Bedroll

6274181516_11b6a760ac_t.jpg

Maurice Ratibor
(played by Etzel)

Level 9 Cleric

Power:

Health:
18/18

Ether:
13/13

Gold:

Inventory:
Diamond Mace (WP:4,
light-elemental
), Helmet (+1 max. health), Scroll of Sleep, 2 Potions, 2 Tonics, 2 Nostrum, Phoenix Essence, Venom

The fleet sailed onwards for a whole night and day, until it arrived to Jolly Roger's Grotto as the sun set on the horizon. The other ships stayed behind as The Sunflower continued towards the island with its lights out.

heroicaquest15-grotto.jpg

There were several cannons as well as a great galleon guarding the front of the island, but The Sunflower's destination laid behind the imposing fortress.

heroicaquest15-sunflowernight.jpg

"This is it. It's been smooth sailing so far, but the hardest part is in front of you", Attina Bonaparte said sternly. "Remember, you must locate Jolly Roger and deliver justice to him, and if you can find my uncle Reno alive then all the better. But from what we've seen, that place is absolutely packed with pirates, so try to use your wits as well or you will quickly be overwhelmed. The other ships are moving in to create a diversion as we speak, but The Sunflower will stay here to wait for you. Give us a signal by hoisting down one of those flags when Jolly Roger is dead, that way we will know to keep on waiting for you. Otherwise we will leave at the crack of dawn and you will have to find your own way out if you still live. Good luck, heroes of Heroica, and may justice be with you!"

The party embarked on a rowboat and made their way to the beach in the back of the island.

heroicaquest15-beach.jpg

There is a small shack built on the beach, and the party also sees a wooden door leading inside the rock. Next to the beach is a thick forest.

What will the party do now?

"Shall we start by searching the shack on the beach?"

"There may also be some kind of weak spot of the fortress hidden just into the forrest. What do you think, heroes?"

"Yes, I also think that shack would be a good place to start."

Eric smiled. Apparently, luck was on his side for once. He pocketed his winnings as he saw the Grotto loom at the horizon. Keeping in mind Attina's orders, Eric voiced his opinion.

"I agree, we should check the shack first. Who knows, maybe we'll find something of use in there. I wouldn't go through the forest, however. Since we only have limited time, I think it's best to use the back entrance through the cave instead of wandering through a thick forest. In my opinion, that would only cost us time."

The party sneaks up to the shack and hear voices speaking in a low tone. There seems to be at least half a dozen people huddled up inside.

What will the party do?

"Hmm, it looks like the shack is built on poles. Can we quietly sneak under it and see if we hear the persons inside better? That is in case there are no windows or alternative entrances." :look: