Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#14: The Family Recipe

Cinna smiles at Bluto, having been reminded of her water-mage sister.

"If you can help us find these ingredients and stick with the group, yeah come along and learn something of the world. It's not good for young mages to be cooped up at home all their lives anyway."

"I see sarcasm is wasted on you, ranger. *gurgle* *splat* I won't take responsibility of the boy for no price. Buy me a ship of my own and we'll negotiate, haha! *gulp*"

How much would that be? :tongue:

Bluto, do you know what your Health and other stats would be were you thrust into a battle?

"If you can help us find these ingredients and stick with the group, yeah come along and learn something of the world. It's not good for young mages to be cooped up at home all their lives anyway."

heroicaquest14-bluto.jpg

"Yay! You won't be disappointed, Miss!" :wink:

BLUTO ZIEGFRIED JOINS THE PARTY!

Party:

ava-bartholomew.png

Bartholomew Docken
(played by Brickdoctor)

Level 13½ Ranger
*scary*

Power:

Health:
19/19

Gold:

Inventory:
Mockthril Longbow (WP:5), Dread Hat (lower level enemies won't attack directly), Potion, Phoenix Essence, Mead, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll

6048306376_bab9d558d0_t.jpg

Cinna the Dark
(played by darkdragon) *Party Leader*

Level 11 Mage

Power:

Health:
15/15

Ether:
15/15

Gold:

Inventory:
Nimbus Broomstick (WP:5, ranged), Pongcanis Mage Staff (WP:5), Shadeaux Staff (WP:4), Quarterstaff (WP:3), Amethyst (Darkness), Scroll of Sleep, 6 Grand Potions, Tonic, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 2 Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel

6227298131_2a2c036037_t.jpg

Thormanil Nihai
(played by swils)

Level 11 Barbarian

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Thundering Shadeaux Axes (WP:6,
lightning-elemental
), Tongue on a Stick (WP:1, Miss>Aim), Dull Greataxe (WP:3), Potion, Pickaxe

ava-thothwick.jpg

Thothwick
(played by Professor Flitwick)

Level 4 Rogue

Power:

Health:
10/10

Gold:

Inventory:
Whip Chain (WP:6), Shuriken (WP:5, ranged), Potion, Remedy Venom, Fire Bomb, Bedroll

heroicaquest14-bluto.jpg

Bluto Ziegfried
(NPC)

Level 5 Dream Sailor

Power:

Health:
5/5

Ether:
5/5

Gold:

Inventory:
Harpoon (WP:3, ranged), Aquamarine (Water)

heroicaquest14-dreamsailor.jpg

The Flouncy Phoenix continues it's journey towards Salmanda.

OoC: There will be a short pause in the quest, but I expect it to continue tomorrow.

After the journey that felt like an eternity, the golden domes of Salmanda finally appeared on the horizon.

heroicaquest14-salmanda.jpg

heroicaquest14-squidraken.jpg

"Land ahoy! *gurgle* *gulp* That's our destination right there - the radiant Salmanda! City of wizardry, wealth and stench. *slurp*"

The Flouncy Phoenix sailed to the port, where the party along with the young Ziegfried left the ship. They were glad to feel the steady ground beneath their feet again. Captain Squidraken assured them that the ship would not be leaving without them, but that they should make haste for the Grand Wizardine's sake. It would take them another two weeks to sail back to Eubric, and if the party spent too much time in Salmanda, it could be too late too late to save Zelda.

~DAYS & NIGHTS OF SALMANDA~

During their stay in Salmanda, the party will experience different events depending on if it is day or night. At any time the party can move onto the next phase by saying they wish to "wait for the nightfall/daybreak". There can be consequences of doing this, however. If the party spends too much time in Salmanda, Zelda will perish and the quest will automatically fail. The time limit will be unknown to the party.

It is now DAY.

The port of Salmanda was bustling at that time of the day. There were many people that could be asked for directions.

heroicaquest14-salmandaport2.jpg

Who will the party approach first?

Stepping off the ship, Thothwick unbuttoned the top button of his suit.

"A fair bit warmer than the Freeport, isn't it chaps?"

"Now then, time doesn't appear to be on our side. I took the liberty of creating the list here, and we should get to business finding these items as quickly as possible. I couldn't read Ms. Ziegfrieds handwriting very clearly, so tell me if I've gone wrong somewhere."

• 2 Ounces of Pubberised Horn of an Undead Unicorn,
  • 3 Ground Petals of the Norcturn Amorella,
  • Half an Ounce of Demonic Dust,
  • A Drop of the Vemon of the Golden Scorpion,
  • Mixed into a Cyrstal Chalice, filled with Water from Danab's Foutain

"I assume that Danab is 'Mother Danab', but this fountain's statue doesn't look like any depiction of her I've ever seen. I suggest we ask the Guards on how best to aqurie these items."

"I suggest we ask the Guards on how best to aqurie these items."

The two guards standing on the entrance of the tower crossed their polearms as the party approaches.

"Halt! The Daystar Tower is a restricted area, especially to foreigners such as you. State your business or leave!"

Thothwick shows the guards the recipe.

"These sound strange... 'Undead', huh...? you might want to ask Nemeshtar the Necromancer about that. His shop is in that dark alley to your right. And maybe her excellency, The Almagesta has this flower in her garden, although I can't be sure."

"There's no way you're getting into her garden, though", the other guard scoffs. "Climbing over the fence of the palace is the only way, and even then it would be a suicide."

I ask the guards if they know of a 'Danab's Fountain'.

"Danab? Do you mean the buxom goddess? Sorry, I'm not a religious type..."

"Me neither", the other guard echoes.

Maybe the party should ask more information from the other people at the harbour?

"Thank you Thothwick for making the list. Should that be pulverized undead unicorn horn?"

Cinna will observe the woman in the red veil head-dress before approaching her. Trying to time it right and not upset the stranger with intruding.

"Excuse me ma'am, we are looking for Danab's Fountain. Can you help us with directions?"

Edited by darkdragon

Armed with a copy of the recipe, I approach the man in the fez with the pig.

"Pardon me, do you know where we might find any of these items?"

• 2 Ounces of Pubberised Horn of an Undead Unicorn,
  • 3 Ground Petals of the Norcturn Amorella,
  • A Drop of the Vemon of the Golden Scorpion,
  • Mixed into a Cyrstal Chalice, filled with Water from Danab's Foutain

"Excuse me ma'am, we are looking for Danab's Fountain. Can you help us with directions?"

Only the eyes of the woman can be seen behind the veil, but they are friendly.

"Danab's Fountain, you say? Of course I know where it is, but you should not go there. A terrible wyvern has befouled the sacred spring. It has turned the once purifying waters toxic, and even the Almagesta's soldiers have been unable to kill it. No, don't ask me about the location, I could not live with myself if you were to die by going there."

Armed with a copy of the recipe, I approach the man in the fez with the pig.

"Pardon me, do you know where we might find any of these items?"

The man looks at the list, then gives Docken a strange look.

"Pubberised? Whazzat? I do know that you can find Golden Scorpions from the Shipwreck Shore outside the city, but they're a rare sight indeed. Oh, and if you're looking for rare items, there's a souk nearby. Just go left from the Daystar Tower."

"Pubberised? Whazzat? I do know that you can find Golden Scorpions from the Shipwreck Shore outside the city, but they're a rare sight indeed. Oh, and if you're looking for rare items, there's a souk nearby. Just go left from the Daystar Tower."

Thank you, sir.

I move on to the man in the Mola Ram headdress and ask him the same question.

Moving on to the man with the Snake Staff, Thothwick shows him the list.

"Judging by your staff I'd wager you're quite a traveller. Know where we can acquire these items?"

Thank you, sir.

I move on to the man in the Mola Ram headdress and ask him the same question.

heroicaquest14-scaro.jpg

"Grrrrough?"

It turns out that the horned man is some sort of a man-beast incapable of common humanoid speech.

Moving on to the man with the Snake Staff, Thothwick shows him the list.

"Judging by your staff I'd wager you're quite a traveller. Know where we can acquire these items?"

The man with the serpent staff nods.

"Indeed. I am a Cobra Priest from the Kalma Marshlands south from here. Unfortunately I do not know much about Salmanda since I just arrived, but I must warn you. When I came through the Kalakita Bog on my way into town I encountered a frightful wyvern. It almost got me with it's foul breath, but since my brotherhood trains to become immune to all sorts of poisons, I managed to survive with just a few scrapes. For some reason the wyvern did not chase me, but just stayed in the spring where I came across it."

The man takes another look at the list.

"Oh, you are searching for the venom of the Golden Scorpion?! If you manage to find it, you could sell it to me. I would be willing to pay 1000 gold for it, it is so rare and hard to acquire!"

The man with the serpent staff nods.

"Indeed. I am a Cobra Priest from the Kalma Marshlands south from here. Unfortunately I do not know much about Salmanda since I just arrived, but I must warn you. When I came through the Kalakita Bog on my way into town I encountered a frightful wyvern. It almost got me with it's foul breath, but since my brotherhood trains to become immune to all sorts of poisons, I managed to survive with just a few scrapes. For some reason the wyvern did not chase me, but just stayed in the spring where I came across it."

"Seems we know where the Wyvern is, and therefore, where the Fountain is!"

The man takes another look at the list.

"Oh, you are searching for the venom of the Golden Scorpion?! If you manage to find it, you could sell it to me. I would be willing to pay 1000 gold for it, it is so rare and hard to acquire!"

"Thank you my good sir, and we'll keep you in mind should we need to vendor it."

• 2 Ounces of Pulverized Horn of an Undead Unicorn, - 'Nemeshtar the Necromancer', a local merchant, might have some information on this.
  • 3 Ground Petals of the Norcturn Amorella, - The Almagesta might have this in her garden.
  • A Drop of the Vemon of the Golden Scorpion, - The Golden Scorpions are rare, but can be found near Shipwreck Shore.
  • Mixed into a Cyrstal Chalice, filled with Water from Danab's Foutain - The Fountain is located in the Kalakita Bog, guarded by a Wyvern.

heroicaquest14-scaro.jpg

"Grrrrough?"

It turns out that the horned man is some sort of a man-beast incapable of common humanoid speech.

I try to use Animal Talk on the horned man.

I try to use Animal Talk on the horned man.

heroicaquest14-scaro.jpg

"<Ah, you are a ranger. Sorry, my tongue just does not twist to the complicacies of your language. I am Scaro, by the way, from the tribe of Hyenamen. Let's see about that list... You need Demonic Dust? It is left behind by demons when they are banished. I do not know where you could find a demon around here, though. Oh, the richest man in the city has unicorns in his menagerie. The man's name is Marmaduc, and he collects rare animals. He even tried to cage me once, that greedy fool...>"

heroicaquest14-scaro.jpg

"<Ah, you are a ranger. Sorry, my tongue just does not twist to the complicacies of your language. I am Scaro, by the way, from the tribe of Hyenamen. Let's see about that list... You need Demonic Dust? It is left behind by demons when they are banished. I do not know where you could find a demon around here, though. Oh, the richest man in the city has unicorns in his menagerie. The man's name is Marmaduc, and he collects rare animals. He even tried to cage me once, that greedy fool...>"

"<Thank you, sir. Where does Marmaduc live?>"

"<Thank you, sir. Where does Marmaduc live?>"

heroicaquest14-scaro.jpg

"<In the eastern parts of the city. His menagerie is open to the public, so it is very popular and anyone can point you to it.>"

Has the party done enough questioning? Where will they head next?

~ The dark alley

~ The souk

~ Marmaduc's Menagerie

~ The Almagesta's palace

~ Shipwreck Shore

~ Kalakita Bog

Before leaving the woman

"Thank you for the information, it does sound like a dangerous place. Maybe my friends and I can purify the fountain and bring you some peace from the Wyvern. Do you happen to have a map of Salmanda or know where I could buy one?"

His grogginess finally wearing off, Thormanil looks up at the sky, squinting. He notices a man wearing a turban leaning out from one of the rooftops. Trying to get the man's attention, he shouts,

" 'SCUSE ME! YOU, UP ON THE ROOF! ANY CHANCE YOU COULD HELP ME?"

Before leaving the woman

"Thank you for the information, it does sound like a dangerous place. Maybe my friends and I can purify the fountain and bring you some peace from the Wyvern. Do you happen to have a map of Salmanda or know where I could buy one?"

The woman shakes her head apologetically.

OoC: You don't need a map, there's already a list of available locations.

His grogginess finally wearing off, Thormanil looks up at the sky, squinting. He notices a man wearing a turban leaning out from one of the rooftops. Trying to get the man's attention, he shouts,

" 'SCUSE ME! YOU, UP ON THE ROOF! ANY CHANCE YOU COULD HELP ME?"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?" the man shouts back.

The woman shakes her head apologetically.

OoC: You don't need a map, there's already a list of available locations.

"No problem.", Cinna smiles "I'm sure we'll find our way around. Thanks again." Cinna walks over to her team and shares the news with them.

OoC: Sorry I didn't see that list until after my post.

To her companions, "I think we should start with Marmaduc's Menagerie, she might know where we can find the scorpions as well."