Sign in to follow this  
BaronSat

Ship vignette

Hello pirates,

A large vignette, or a small diorama (as you want) about a ship section. I build it to place the cannons (or is it carronades ;-) ) I made usind Admiral Starwind idea.

Ship_Vignette-00.jpg

More photos on my page.

BaronSat.net Pirates page

Now open fire!

Baron Sat, you do not fail to please!

Once again your mastery of the medium radiates through in this highly vignette (or small diorama). Since I'm in the middle of doing other things I'll comment and query later, but there are definitely some things I'm curious about!

This is really great! Although I have some things to say: If I am right, the wheel is supposed to be the capstan, but I don't believe those were on that deck... And I am not sure about the carronades but I believe they are also on the wrong deck! The details are, once again, great, the fences look very nice...

How much times do I need to tell you that not every man with a bandana, a striped shirt or a missing eye is a pirate......*tries to stay calm*

Actually, I think Baron Sat is trying to achieve some kind of consistency with the non Solider mini-figures. Three of them seem to have the same torso and a red bandana, so I'm wondering if those three are a particular class of sailor and that torso has been chosen to represent a uniform.

Baron Sat, could you shed some light on this matter?

This is really great! Although I have some things to say: If I am right, the wheel is supposed to be the capstan, but I don't believe those were on that deck... And I am not sure about the carronades but I believe they are also on the wrong deck! The details are, once again, great, the fences look very nice...

Hi Mr Tiber,

It seems that capstans appear on lower deck on some ships too. That's what I saw when I make my search for this model.

About carronades they seems to be weapons for the upper deck, that's right, that's why I just decided they were no more carronades but cannons now.

See the technic tube used as a "muzzle" with a large opening place them in this categorie :-P

Actually, I think Baron Sat is trying to achieve some kind of consistency with the non Solider mini-figures. Three of them seem to have the same torso and a red bandana, so I'm wondering if those three are a particular class of sailor and that torso has been chosen to represent a uniform.

Baron Sat, could you shed some light on this matter?

Hi Mr Phes,

I must confess that I'm not an historian and I don't really know how things work on a ship. My use of uniforms is to suggest there are civilians and soldiers on the same ship. The officers wear epaulettes and a vests, the men at cannons have a military styled suits because they are soldiers too. And the guy who clean the deck is a sailor.

This boat isn't a war ship but a commercial vessel with some armament and soldiers in case it met some pirates. Is this idea unreal? Does anyone here have an history diploma, that would help?

I think my next MOC will be about Sci-Fi so I won't have to explain why my hyper-plasma-powered-universe-bender is made with trans orange bricks instead of trans yellow ones. Excepted if some Trekkie is around :-D

Thats a nice little MOC with lots of details that I can use ;-)

It would you be great to see you build a complete ship with the same level of detail as you always use in you MOCs.

I like how the guns look, though I'm not an expert on cannons.

The stairway looks also very good.

I often use the same blue minifigs as crewmen/sailers on my ships. They are also usefull as french Hussars.

Can I ask you how much time it took to build this MOC?

Well, there's a Trekkie here and I think I never heard of a hyper-plasma-powered-universe-bender.

Might I suggest that you be the first to build a Heisenberg compensator in Lego :-).

Then we finally know how this looks...

Impressive, I love the detail and the colors. The cannonades are clever too.

And this is the only ship moc I've seen with an anti-recoil system (I don't know what you call this).

Keep it up!

I must confess that I'm not an historian and I don't really know how things work on a ship. My use of uniforms is to suggest there are civilians and soldiers on the same ship. The officers wear epaulettes and a vests, the men at cannons have a military styled suits because they are soldiers too. And the guy who clean the deck is a sailor.

This boat isn't a war ship but a commercial vessel with some armament and soldiers in case it met some pirates. Is this idea unreal? Does anyone here have an history diploma, that would help?

We're not too fussed about complete historic accuracy, in fact we don't require any kind of accuray whatsoever! You can make it totally fanastic if you wish, but from what I've gathered you're a well experienced MOC builder so you probably know a lot more about building these creations than I do. I do believe that Count Sneffy (Snefore1) is a historian with some (or maybe not) knowledge on this matter, or I could call in my friend UltraLux as he knows many historic facts.

I think my next MOC will be about Sci-Fi so I won't have to explain why my hyper-plasma-powered-universe-bender is made with trans orange bricks instead of trans yellow ones. Excepted if some Trekkie is around :-D

Branching out in other genres is a wonderful thing, but also a pitty since you do a wonderful job with these Pirate MOCs.

Hi Mr Tiber,

It seems that capstans appear on lower deck on some ships too. That's what I saw when I make my search for this model.

Indeed.

And just some extra trivia about captstans - sometimes they went through a deck... You could have crews working the same capstan on two decks at once... the trick, of course, is to get them all pushing the same way. ;-)

Hi Mr Tiber,

Indeed.

And just some extra trivia about captstans - sometimes they went through a deck... You could have crews working the same capstan on two decks at once... the trick, of course, is to get them all pushing the same way. ;-)

You are right!!! today it is my Birthday, and I got a pirate book, with a drawing of a ship, and I did notice 2 capstans, on the main deck and the gun deck :-P

You are right!!! today it is my Birthday, and I got a pirate book, with a drawing of a ship, and I did notice 2 capstans, on the main deck and the gun deck :-P

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mr TIBER *sing*

An Impressive vignet, or small diorama. I like the details alot. Nice use of the string as well.

We're not too fussed about complete historic accuracy, in fact we don't require any kind of accuray whatsoever! You can make it totally fanastic if you wish, but from what I've gathered you're a well experienced MOC builder so you probably know a lot more about building these creations than I do. I do believe that Count Sneffy (Snefore1) is a historian with some (or maybe not) knowledge on this matter, or I could call in my friend UltraLux as he knows many historic facts.

Branching out in other genres is a wonderful thing, but also a pitty since you do a wonderful job with these Pirate MOCs.

Hi Mr Phes,

That could be interesting to have an historian point of view for any of our MOC, as long as that don't stop us.

My next MOC will probably be about Castle but I never know want I'll want to do. Making 2 models in the same theme very closely in time, as I did for the pirates ones, is something I do very rarely. But I found good people here and pirates will be recurrent for me now.

BaronSat, you do an excellent job with your MOCs and the Pirate fanatics here are making sure your work is appreciated! You certainly are an inspiration and if I had more time I'd make more MOCs, but alas I don't so that will have to wait.

By the way...

Ship_Vignette-00.jpg

What did you use to make the cannon balls?

Hi Legeaux,

Thanks for the information, I'll remember that.

It would you be great to see you build a complete ship with the same level of detail as you always use in you MOCs.

Hi Bonaparte,

I'd love too but I would have to order a zillion of Brown parts :-D

Well, there's a Trekkie here and I think I never heard of a hyper-plasma-powered-universe-bender.

Might I suggest that you be the first to build a Heisenberg compensator in Lego :-).

Then we finally know how this looks...

And use all the Bionicle and weird color parts that are generally useless X-D

Impressive, I love the detail and the colors. The cannonades are clever too.

And this is the only ship moc I've seen with an anti-recoil system (I don't know what you call this).

Keep it up!

Hi 007,

You're right that's an anti recoil cord. I noticed that on many cannons photos and drawing I saw and thought it would give more "realism" to the model.

BaronSat, you do an excellent job with your MOCs and the Pirate fanatics here are making sure your work is appreciated! You certainly are an inspiration and if I had more time I'd make more MOCs, but alas I don't so that will have to wait.

By the way...

What did you use to make the cannon balls?

Mr Phes,

I used technic ball joints. A little to big but I like them much better than 1x1 round bricks.

Thank you *pirate* BaronSat, just asking, does this ''ship'' or this part of it, has a name??

Mr Tiber,

I previewed to give it a Spanish name as I'm still in Puerto Brico mood but because of the uniforms that wouldn't have match. Finally I couldn't decide any name, but if someone has a good idea...

Phew, that makes a lot of answer in just one reply, I hope it's not too big for the TOS?

... and I succeed not turn quote crazy... *sweet*

I was wondering, what part of the ship this is? is it the middle or the back or the front...what is it supposed to be?

Hello pirates,

A large vignette, or a small diorama (as you want) about a ship section. I build it to place the cannons (or is it carronades ;-) ) I made usind Admiral Starwind idea.

Ship_Vignette-00.jpg

More photos on my page.

BaronSat.net Pirates page

Now open fire!

I love it, good design, great details. Keep up the good work.

I believe you're correct Mr Tiber...

Here's a green one from 3791 William Walrus with 3-wheeled cart

x233.jpg

It appears this piece popped up in the mid to late eighties, then disappear until the early 21st century...