Sign in to follow this  
Christoph

[MOC] Burj Sina - Where you can see far

Times are changing in Historia. I am Abū Alī al-Ḥusayn ibn Abd Allāh ibn Sīnā, a truth-seeker of the Kaliphlin Guild. Deeply disturbed by news of disorder I went in retreat to Burj Sina where I contemplate by watching the stars. I am looking for answers.

Burj Sina is located deep in the desert, unknown to most - almost forgotten. Few have seen it but much has been seen. This tower belonged to my familiy for generations. Its secret lies on earth but it reveals the heavens.

Even though the stars are telling, I cannot see the future. But pointed to the horizon my telescope can see deep into the realms of Nocturnus, Avalonia, and even Mitgardia. Where are you heading?

watchtower1.jpg

Enemies, don't try funny stuff, the entrance is guarded!

watchtower2.jpg

Watching the stars can be hard work.

watchtower3.jpg

Minifig sight (on foot):

watchtower4.jpg

Nice work! I Like the shape of the top and the retracted door and walls and the mosaics in particular. :thumbup: One thing: Is the roof for the camel not unneccesary? Can it not stand in the shadow of the tower :P

Edited by Scubacarrot

Wonderful tower Abū Alī!

The small pop of color on the tower has to be my favorite part, it breaks up the tan just enough without being distracting.

I can't quite make out from the pictures what the white bricks are near the door. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks for the comments! :classic:

Nice work! I Like the shape of the top and the retracted door and walls and the mosaics in particular. :thumbup: One thing: Is the roof for the camel not unneccesary? Can it not stand in the shadow of the tower :P

I like to enlighten my students by asking back:

Would not be the tower unneccesary because I could stand on the roof of the stable?

Good work my friend!i think it's Arabesque on this astronomy tower?

... probably some dotty dialect...

Wonderful tower Abū Alī!

The small pop of color on the tower has to be my favorite part, it breaks up the tan just enough without being distracting.

I can't quite make out from the pictures what the white bricks are near the door. Can you enlighten me?

What looks like white bricks are actually part of my personal belongings that I can't do without on my long travels. I must confess, they look like bricks. For clarification, my departure in the near future will look something like this:

departure.jpg

(I won't tell if there are bricks in the package though)

A very nice tower you got there! I really like the first pic with the stars! Looks like an arabian night!!

A question, where is the head from on your sigfig?? Looks really nice! :classic:

Awesome tower Christoph! A great start for our Guild. I think yours is the first completed tower.

Love the recessed walls and the pattern. I have to say, that's a mighty fine telescope :laugh:

From the ground going up, I really like your tower. The one part I would change is the telescope. I feel like it looks unnatural, because even a telescope made today would not be able to hold the stresses of weight how this is attached. I feel like the telescope needs supports closer to the middle so it looks more like a large telescope. I know you have limited roof room up there, so perhaps even enlarging the roof surface, or draping the holding mechanism over the side (although that would limit some of the visibility / movement of the optics). Otherwise, Pretty awesome. I love that you added something unique to your tower that was clearly meant for more than just defense. It has inspired me to create a Royal Navy tropics magnetic and celestial observations post for my colonial harbor town I have been working on.

I like to enlighten my students by asking back:

Would not be the tower unneccesary because I could stand on the roof of the stable?

Genius! Goes off making stables instead of watchtowers.

Times are changing in Historia. I am Abū Alī al-Ḥusayn ibn Abd Allāh ibn Sīnā...

Eban? :)

(XIII warrior:))

Anyhow, this is what went trough the mind of southerners while building this tower: "We saw machineguns and canons in other guilds, and it won't be long until spaceships attack us, so we better make something for watching the stars " :)

Great moc, btw, I love how it has subtle details

Anyhow, this is what went trough the mind of southerners while building this tower: "We saw machineguns and canons in other guilds, and it won't be long until spaceships attack us, so we better make something for watching the stars " :)

We do not fear the other guilds. We do not fear that which can not hurt us. But Ancient Aliens (as seen on History Channel) from the skies... that is something to be guarded against.

--

Fantastic work Christoph !

I expected to see some 'non traditional' elements coming from the south, and you do not disappoint. Definitely a unique and one of my fav towers so far. Great job.

The entire concept is well done, The subtle colour marking is great. those few side ways studs just adds so much nice texture... there is a lot to like here.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you all for the nice comments! :cry_happy: You are really a polite bunch.

A question, where is the head from on your sigfig?? Looks really nice! :classic:

It's the head of the blacksmith in set 6918 (bricklink).

From the ground going up, I really like your tower. The one part I would change is the telescope. I feel like it looks unnatural, because even a telescope made today would not be able to hold the stresses of weight how this is attached. I feel like the telescope needs supports closer to the middle so it looks more like a large telescope. I know you have limited roof room up there, so perhaps even enlarging the roof surface, or draping the holding mechanism over the side (although that would limit some of the visibility / movement of the optics). Otherwise, Pretty awesome. I love that you added something unique to your tower that was clearly meant for more than just defense. It has inspired me to create a Royal Navy tropics magnetic and celestial observations post for my colonial harbor town I have been working on.

This is a very good point, thank you. Initially, the telescope was much smaller but I couldn't get enough :blush:. I like the idea of a wooden support structure, which could be partially attached to the side of the tower. I will think about it next week... I am looking forward to your magnetic observation post!

Genius! Goes off making stables instead of watchtowers.

:classic:

Eban? :)

(XIII warrior:))

Tremendousness from the East, I do not understand your first cryptic lines.

Regarding the spaceships: Some say you can only fear what you can imagine. Let me tell you, this doesn't mean your are protected by ignorance.

Abū Alī, who is seeking for truth.

it's from movie "The 13th warrior" with Antonio Banderas:

- He wishes to know your name.

- I am Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan, Ibn Al Abbas, Ibn Rasid--

- " Eban."

- No, no. Listen. Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan.Ibn means " son of."

- Eban.

This reminds me so much of the three wise men from a very old christmas cartoon I used to watch as a kid!

Excellent building here! I really like the colors thrown into the center of the tower.

The tower architecture is great. My favorite photo is the last one posted where the camera perspective is low looking up. I want to echo what others have said about the mosaic color in the walls -- really nice building technique. The telescope is very original -- I like seeing something more than the standard martial desert warrior tower. I think the Kaliphlin guild is really a good base for some unique concepts like this.

Cristoph,

this is a great build, and I am so glad you did the astronomy tower, as you will see....

:classic:

Lovely tower, it has just the right amount of detail and colour. :classic: The monkey gaurding the entrance with a crossbow is a cute touch too!