Darth Nihilus

Monster Fighters 2012

Damn, I guess that link proves it's fake. :/ That's REALLY disappointing, I was hoping for a mothman figure or a chupicabra or something. Oh how I would love a mothman figure..... :hmpf_bad:

Damn, I guess that link proves it's fake. :/ That's REALLY disappointing, I was hoping for a mothman figure or a chupicabra or something. Oh how I would love a mothman figure..... :hmpf_bad:

Yeah, too bad, because it really was a brilliant idea. I like the theme suggestions on that brickipedia page. Clever...AND do-able.

Is this where you get the "Monster Catchers" from :hmpf:

No, I'm pretty sure it's from a LEGO blog that confirmed LotR, but I admit that they may have gotten their stuff from that page. Oh well, at least we got confirmation from Mirandir that there is going to be a new theme. I'm still crossing my fingers for System Heroica! :sweet:

Monster fighters, eh? I hope it isn't as lame and <insert that tiresome argument> as ninjago, It might just bring me back into lego. It'd be cool if it were done like futuristic pit fights with horrible beasts or people controlling the beasts like vehicles. I doubt it'll be as I'm imagining it, but I hope it's cool. Or some monster themed minifigures at least.

I'm assuming you're using some unusual story- or marketing-based meaning of "<insert that tiresome argument>", because as far as the actual construction of the Ninjago sets goes, there's hardly anything <insert that tiresome argument> about them besides the dragon head pieces. The skeleton vehicles of this year and the snake vehicles of next year are all very high-detail designs with few "<insert that tiresome argument>" parts, and the same goes for most of the location-based sets like the Fire Temple and Skeleton Bowling. Even the dragons mostly steer clear of "<insert that tiresome argument>" pieces, typically using innovative brick-built wings and intricate brick-built bodies.

With that said, I think Ninjago basically fills LEGO's "zany" quota for next year. Since "action themes" is such a diverse and arbitrary label, the new theme could be anything, but I'd wager we'll be getting something with a somewhat stable historical placement (as opposed to Ninjago's wild anachronism), a small cast of named characters like PQ or unnamed characters like Dino, and a premise that TLG hasn't explored for several years.

Monster fighters, eh? I hope it isn't as lame and <insert that tiresome argument> as ninjago, It might just bring me back into lego. It'd be cool if it were done like futuristic pit fights with horrible beasts or people controlling the beasts like vehicles. I doubt it'll be as I'm imagining it, but I hope it's cool. Or some monster themed minifigures at least.

Since when is Ninjago <insert that tiresome argument>? Clearly you haven't paid much attention to amazing sets like the Fire Temple or Skeleton Bowling. And next year's sets look like they'll be even more amazing, what with the awesome transforming vehicles.

Anyway, based on the name that's floating around, it sounds almost like a Pokémon-style theme. Not quite sure how LEGO could pull something like that off, but I'll be watching with interest.

I can't post the link from the blog directly as I have to have more posts first. (Guess that's what I get for reading infinitely more than I actually post). Anyway, someone posted a link which is not the one I was talking about. The one I was referring to with the Monster Fighters rumor is from a site called legotalk247.blogspot (and do a search to find the actual link). But I myself don't know how much to believe on this site (and even the site itself says it's a rumor), so I'm taking it with many grains of salt. Just passing along the rumor when I saw people were hypothesizing about a new action theme.

Edited by BigHobbit

I like this Monster Fighters idea and I can definitely see TLG doing it. But I'm not gonna put any stake into this being true until I see some more compelling evidence. :laugh:

I'm assuming you're using some unusual story- or marketing-based meaning of "<insert that tiresome argument>", because as far as the actual construction of the Ninjago sets goes, there's hardly anything <insert that tiresome argument> about them besides the dragon head pieces.

I think he means the overall look. Next year's sets are especially overdone and colourful, and while I like that, it makes the theme seem more for kids. (Extremely obvious statement.)

Is this where you get the "Monster Catchers" from :hmpf:

Oh well, we can still hope. I think there's a fair chance that the new theme could be "Monster Fighters", but there's no supporting evidence besides some very shaky rumours.

It does seem like a definite possibility though...

I think he means the overall look. Next year's sets are especially overdone and colourful, and while I like that, it makes the theme seem more for kids. (Extremely obvious statement.)

OK then; I'm just used to seeing "<insert that tiresome argument>" in the LEGO community mean something more related to build and complexity than to design style. To be fair I dislike the term in general because its meaning can be so variable-- to some people any large part is <insert that tiresome argument>, whereas to others it's only when a part of a model could be created using smaller, simpler pieces.

Since when is Ninjago <insert that tiresome argument>? Clearly you haven't paid much attention to amazing sets like the Fire Temple or Skeleton Bowling. And next year's sets look like they'll be even more amazing, what with the awesome transforming vehicles.

Sorry for saying <insert that tiresome argument>, apparently that wasn't the right word. I meant less I don't know.... childish? I mean I don't know, that's not the right word either, it's not like with other themes where you can take it seriously like SP3 or power miners. It's exactly how Delta said, It's just a bit too based on play features and bright colors for my taste.

Sorry for saying <insert that tiresome argument>, apparently that wasn't the right word. I meant less I don't know.... childish? I mean I don't know, that's not the right word either, it's not like with other themes where you can take it seriously like SP3 or power miners. It's exactly how Delta said, It's just a bit too based on play features and bright colors for my taste.

Right, since lime and orange mining vehicles with flick fire dynamite doesn't fit either of those categories. :sarcasm:

I'm excited to see what this is. Adventuring and 'cartoony' action themes are both filled at the moment. Hmm...

Right, since lime and orange mining vehicles with flick fire dynamite doesn't fit either of those categories. :sarcasm:

I'm excited to see what this is. Adventuring and 'cartoony' action themes are both filled at the moment. Hmm...

Well, it at least could still be taken somewhat seriously. Plus, those colors were actually quite realistic.

No, but it definitely isn't about Ninjas with jetpacks using "Spinjitzu" to fight skeletons driving monster trucks. :laugh:

No, but it definitely isn't about Ninjas with jetpacks using "Spinjitzu" to fight skeletons driving monster trucks. :laugh:

Don't forget a 10-year old boy finding a cave with man-snakes in it, all while holding a flashlight. :laugh:

Monster hunter would be pretty cool, but on the other hand why re-release the monsters? It sort of defeats the idea of "Collectible Minifigure." I mean don't get me wrong it'd be neat to see a Van Helsing staking a vamp, but that's probably too violent for TLG. Thought Machine guns and mummies happened so who knows. I'd like to see a paranormal-ish set that's for sure. Might make for some interesting Silient hillish mocs or something along those lines.

Monster hunter would be pretty cool, but on the other hand why re-release the monsters? It sort of defeats the idea of "Collectible Minifigure." I mean don't get me wrong it'd be neat to see a Van Helsing staking a vamp, but that's probably too violent for TLG. Thought Machine guns and mummies happened so who knows. I'd like to see a paranormal-ish set that's for sure. Might make for some interesting Silient hillish mocs or something along those lines.

Many of the collectible minifig monsters are themselves rereleases (or more accurately, reimaginings) of the old LEGO Studios monsters. If this theme does involve "classic movie monsters", I imagine they'll be actual characters as opposed to archetypes, like "Amset-Ra" (I think that was his name?) from Pharaoh's Quest, as opposed to the more generic collectible minifig mummy. I don't think there's even a 1% chance of LEGO releasing exact copies of collectible figs in any theme (besides, as they have done, in a few of the extended-line products like the Brick Calendar).

I doubt that TLG will use the 'classic' movie-mosters with Collectible Minifigs out. I was thinking something along the lines of a cthulhu or a shoggoth, but the designers may make up new monsters. It's just my opinion that they wouldn't make more classic monsters that have been done and overdone already. :wink:

I was thinking more of like.... cryptids and ghosts. How cool would it be to have a mothman, chupicabra, or jersey devil minifigure in your collection? Or possibly have more "modern" vampires like in blade. Or go the ghostbusters route and just have bizzarre creatures that cause havoc. :sweet: :sweet: It wouldn't really make sense for them to be a historic action theme with frankenstein and dracula, what with primitive monster fighting techniques. :look: I'd rather see an anti-monster slime cannon than a wooden stake or a torch. :hmpf:

I doubt that TLG will use the 'classic' movie-mosters with Collectible Minifigs out. I was thinking something along the lines of a cthulhu or a shoggoth, but the designers may make up new monsters. It's just my opinion that they wouldn't make more classic monsters that have been done and overdone already. :wink:

Heh, LEGO Lovecraft? I would buy that.

Heh, LEGO Lovecraft? I would buy that.

My point exactly. Though I'm not sure the kiddies would be familiar with Lovecraft.....

The fact that a Shoggoth was in Tomb Raider might help them to recognize it. :sceptic:

Maybe we will finally get a new ghost minifig in Monster Fighters? :blush:

I would love another AC wave, but they really should make more different types of aliens.

I think PQ and Atlantis are out of the question since they are being discontinued after the holidays.

We understand. Imagine how much TLG hates Grogall and kriskelvin though. :tongue:

We'll find pictures eventually, and then TLG won't be able to do anything about it! Muahahaha! :devil_laugh:

Hate me.....Goodness!; with all the advertising I'm giving them they should be paying me.....

But remember I don't post confidential images so there should be no need to hate me :tongue:

Hate me.....Goodness!; with all the advertising I'm giving them they should be paying me.....

But remember I don't post confidential images so there should be no need to hate me :tongue:

They only want us to see the blurry, confidential pics so we buy the sets just to see what they look like. :tongue: They don't want us to see every piece in high-res....... :iamded_lol:

Anyway, still no news? I would think that news would have come by now, but then again, TLG has been really strict about leaks this year.... :cry3: