Darth Nihilus

Monster Fighters 2012

I think the brilliant designer Toth is working for LEGO now, as you can take a look at the preliminary images from the sets, the swamp monster is in one of the sets.. and in Dracula's castle you can see Dracula's bride, maybe she is going to have Toth's face design.. or maybe the entire fig! :wub:

EDIT: guys take a look at this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IV9W5sKJdTg/TCH_fG6r7sI/AAAAAAAAAOk/kmaOmqo5kGE/s1600/Page+03.jpg :oh3:*oh2*

From Toth's gallery

Oh and also, in his other gallery http://alexandreboudonbillund2010.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-post.html there are some other minifigs such as the kimono girl, the genie and the statue of liberty. Oh my god I'm gonna faint if the rest of his minifigs are going to be designed :sing:

Edited by Otherworld

Well, took a look at the preliminary 'confidential' picture of the swamp creature set and he seems to wear the same headgear or at least a very-very similar one to Toth's design.

I think the brilliant designer Toth is working for LEGO now, as you can take a look at the preliminary images from the sets, the swamp monster is in one of the sets.. and in Dracula's castle you can see Dracula's bride, maybe she is going to have Toth's face design.. or maybe the entire fig! :wub:

EDIT: guys take a look at this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IV9W5sKJdTg/TCH_fG6r7sI/AAAAAAAAAOk/kmaOmqo5kGE/s1600/Page+03.jpg :oh3:*oh2*

From Toth's gallery

Oh and also, in his other gallery http://alexandreboudonbillund2010.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-post.html there are some other minifigs such as the kimono girl, the genie and the statue of liberty. Oh my god I'm gonna faint if the rest of his minifigs are going to be designed :sing:

If he hasn't been picked up by lego they have certainly lifted many of his ideas and yes you could argue that a lot of them have basis in other media but too many coincedences with a lot of the design in there not to be him working with Lego....surely?

You could extrapolate a lot of the preliminary images that have come from Monster Fighters to that second link

If he hasn't been picked up by lego they have certainly lifted many of his ideas and yes you could argue that a lot of them have basis in other media but too many coincedences with a lot of the design in there not to be him working with Lego....surely?

You could extrapolate a lot of the preliminary images that have come from Monster Fighters to that second link

Yeah, he is either employed or they are stealing his designs. Now I'd bet that he's got the job. I really hope that his Lego Mythology theme idea will come to life sometime.

Yeah, he is either employed or they are stealing his designs. Now I'd bet that he's got the job. I really hope that his Lego Mythology theme idea will come to life sometime.

I can't understand a word of French, but through Google Translate I do understand that according to this French message forum Alexandre Boudon aka Toth has indeed been working as concept designer for Lego since 2010. Apparently the Space Marine from CMF Series 7 is also his design. I just hope some of his historical/fantastic design will be seen in the future too!

"What I can tell you is that the coming years will be terrible. each year is even stronger than the previous one ... and if 2012 promises, I believe that 2013 is even stronger. And we are already working to make 2014 a bomb! Lego saw a fantastic time at the moment. there is a tremendous positive energy in its premises and I think we finally dares to explore themes so far put sides. years of madness into perspective for both children and for AFOL. it will hurt the wallet!"

Doesn't sound bad at all! Except the translation. :tongue:

The top says AlexandreBoudonBillund2010. We all know where Lego HQ is, and 2010 seems like the right amount of time for minifigs to go from concept art to reality, especially with the CM4 minifigs. A mythology theme has been a very popular wished-for theme, so I wouldn't be surprised if these are real, and we will see it in 2013 or 2014. It's interesting to see the other monsters. They are probably minifigs that were scrapped for Monster Fighters, but it would be cool if they come in future sets.

Edit: I looked at the Mythology stuff again, and it appears he did this as part of his portfolio, probably for the hiring process.

Edited by Sid Sidious

The top says AlexandreBoudonBillund2010. We all know where Lego HQ is, and 2010 seems like the right amount of time for minifigs to go from concept art to reality, especially with the CM4 minifigs. A mythology theme has been a very popular wished-for theme, so I wouldn't be surprised if these are real, and we will see it in 2013 or 2014. It's interesting to see the other monsters. They are probably minifigs that were scrapped for Monster Fighters, but it would be cool if they come in future sets.

Edit: I looked at the Mythology stuff again, and it appears he did this as part of his portfolio, probably for the hiring process.

Since he does in fact work for LEGO (thanks for the confirmation, Haltamieli!), I think it's safe to say he probably had a leading hand in the design of this theme's figs. So I wouldn't be surprised if the final figs end up showing some inspiration from his portfolio drawings and renders. After all, Tim Ainley's Squidman was something he whipped up during the hiring process I believe, and yet it eventually (in a much-refined form) made it into the Space Police III theme.

At the same time, the heroes of Monster Fighters changed considerably from the "Scooby Doo" type concept seen in Toth's portfolio sketches, so I'm sure there could easily have been similar changes in the monster designs depending on what the designers decided would appeal best to the target audience.

At the same time, the heroes of Monster Fighters changed considerably from the "Scooby Doo" type concept seen in Toth's portfolio sketches, so I'm sure there could easily have been similar changes in the monster designs depending on what the designers decided would appeal best to the target audience.

We've already seen what appears to be finalized versions of the werewolf, vampire, and Frankenstein's monster. The ghost has a new mold, so it could be assumed to be at least mostly finalized. The same could be said for the swamp monster and bat people, although the bat people will almost definitely get printing. The mad scientist is exactly the same as the CM4 one, and the mummy and hearse driver look very preliminary, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get changed significantly. The female vampire has what appears to be new prints, but no new molds, so she is up in the air. I think Elvis hair guy, female(s), and pilot (if he or she is a different minifig from the aforementioned) are placeholders for the Fighters, since they don't have the same Antebellum gentleman/Steampunk vibe as the three we've seen from the Toy Fair. I think the style of the stuff in Toth's portfolio look's better than the prelims, so hopefully it gets changed.

I LOVE those sketches! I hope they actually make those ghost hunting pieces, they'd be awesome! It seems they've butchered some of his ideas though, such as his great werewolf design, and his frankenstein/lab looked way more greebly and dark/creepy than what we're getting. Which stinks because his design was incredible! I also would've liked to see that banshee made,the haunted manor, or that ghost ship. the concepts on this page remind me strongly of older sets where they focused more on appearance. :classic: Not really sure where medusa fits in at all though. :look:

Not really.

Logwyn, try reading the thread a little more and checking the first post for pics. I know this many pages can be off-putting but at the same time it isn't too hard to find out where the thread has progressed to from the most recent posts. Why don't you intorduce yourself here too? :classic:

Sorry didn't mean to step on toes... I don't see where I said anything about pics. Just this theme would be fun? I'm confused.

Sorry didn't mean to step on toes... I don't see where I said anything about pics. Just this theme would be fun? I'm confused.

That makes two of us... I think you're fine. :tongue:

I would not be disappointed if more of those renders/sketches of Toth's came to fruition. There are many great ideas in his portfolio. I'm actually a little upset we don't have a lot of them.

Hmm, interesting. The scientist looks pretty cool, and it's too bad we won't get the protagonists how they're shown there.

I thought the swamp monster image was confirmed? I remember a while back it was found on an official site or something. Oh well, hopefully the real thing is just as good.

I thought the swamp monster image was confirmed? I remember a while back it was found on an official site or something. Oh well, hopefully the real thing is just as good.

The swamp monster on the box of the set and Toth's swamp monster look very similar (probably because they were designed by the same person), so I believe that someone posted pics of Toth's swamp monster and said it was the Monster Fighters one. If you look carefully, they have different torso prints.

I was reading FBTB here, and the author said that the minifig parts will be available to buy outside of the sets.

Ooh, a bit of Monster Hunters stuff I was told, but forgot to mention ... the minifigure parts will, apparently, be available from S@H (either via Pick a Brick or Customer Services, I can't recall which), meaning you can get the figures on their own if you don't want to buy the sets.

I was reading FBTB here, and the author said that the minifig parts will be available to buy outside of the sets.

*oh2*

I have my fingers crossed for the Batmonster! :excited: I want to make Man-Bat :drool:without having to use BrickLink

Nice views on that official minifigs! The hunters and that new werewolf are the cream of the crop, hands down!

But please, for the love of Mary Shelley's ghost, stop calling that monster "Frankenstein"! If anything at all, its proper nomenclature would be "Dr. Frankenstein's creature" or if you prefer "monster" but not "Frankenstein"! That was its creator's name and didn't ever pass onto the creature, EVER! And do not try do defend your misnomers with "pop-culture", as it will always remain plain wrong. Do that fantastic work of gothic-literature a solid and employ the proper names, please! You have it in your hands to shape your own perception of things; do not find excuses in the past errors of others, or simply put: Just because the names are terrible messed up in the general populace's mind, noone stops you to remedy the damage done!

Be well!

Cutty

p.s.: do not try to start an argument with me here, I KNOW I'm right in what I say and pop-culture is wrong. Any contadictory statements are thus by default trollage of the highest order!

And please try to understand this is not me patronising or lecturing anyone, but just a neutral corrective statement where it's direly due! If you still do not trust my words, google up yourself the original text. It should be available somewhere as it's become public domain by now.

You are so right!!

Back to topic:

I love the train and I do favour vampires just too much not to buy the castle... I should start sving some money.

That is a very interesting new business practice, wonder how much that may impact on sales of sets?

I would not be disappointed if more of those renders/sketches of Toth's came to fruition. There are many great ideas in his portfolio. I'm actually a little upset we don't have a lot of them.

Ditto! His stuff was great, especially that swamp monster.

Edited by Walt

That is a very interesting new business practice, wonder how much that may impact on sales of sets?

Yeah... am I the only one who thinks that sounds like a BAD idea? A lot of AFOLS (actually, most) buy LEGO sets to collect the minifigures. Making them readily available individually would drastically reduce the collect-ability of the sets themselves. One of my favorite parts of buying a larger LEGO set is the handful of exclusive/hard-to-find minifigs that it comes with. If I can just buy them for $3.99 a piece I doubt I'll feel like a $89.99 purchase is worth it.

Yeah... am I the only one who thinks that sounds like a BAD idea? A lot of AFOLS (actually, most) buy LEGO sets to collect the minifigures. Making them readily available individually would drastically reduce the collect-ability of the sets themselves. One of my favorite parts of buying a larger LEGO set is the handful of exclusive/hard-to-find minifigs that it comes with. If I can just buy them for $3.99 a piece I doubt I'll feel like a $89.99 purchase is worth it.

All pieces are available through customer service, and have been for years. I don't think it will harm sales any more than it has in past years.

And I wonder how affordable it will be to buy the minifigure parts from LEGO? The last time I ordered specific parts from a set, it wasn't cheap, especially with the shipping charges.

I read from one of the surveys on Brickset that adults buying sets for themselves made up only 5% of sales for LEGO. This means that most of sales are bought on the behalf of children. When I was a kid, I remember that the sets were cooler than the minifigs, and I think that would still be true for this line, seeing as some sets are actually pretty good. Plus, it's not like everybody knows about the minifigs from pick a part.

I don't think it's the worst buisiness option. Really, I don't think a lot of people use pick-a-brick, and last year, they added a lot of Hero Factory parts, including exclusive ones.