Dakar A

Dogs and LEGO

I don't know about how anyone else handles this, so I figured I would ask:

Does/has your dog ever chewed a Lego brick beyond recognition, and what have you done to prevent this from happening again?

The beating of a lifetime.

No not really, my dog would never do this.

My cat on the other hand is a little :devil: , last night while I had a huge box of bricks that I was sorting he walked up and pulled the box down onto the floor - I'm pretty sure just to hear the crash. He has chewed on dragon wings (not long before I shooed him out) and likes to bat around anything trans-neon-green :sceptic:

I usually keep the door closed on my LEGO room unless I'm in there (and a lot of times even if I am in there) to keep the animal out. That's the only good way I've found to keep things away from them.

I also keep my door closed, but sometimes somebody will forget to close it, and the dog seems to be drawn to the most important peices laying on my floor ( Dark tan tiles, yellow 1x2 plates, etc). The charachteristic sound of doom is the crunch-crunch of dog tooth on ABS. :angry:

My cat on the other hand is a little :devil: , last night while I had a huge box of bricks that I was sorting he walked up and pulled the box down onto the floor - I'm pretty sure just to hear the crash.

Are you sure you are not talking about my cat? One of her favorite sounds is Lego crashing to the floor :laugh:

The way I prevent it is to keep my Lego in a room that the dogs can't get into. That way I can prevent as many animal related accidents as possible. I figure every once in a while a brick or two will be destroyed by them, but I would rather have that then not have the dogs around.

I used to have a cat (died last year :cry_sad: ), every time I got a new set I would spread all the parts out on the floor/table/whatever I was building on, and while I was looking for a part or looking through the instructions and not paying attention, he would try to eat one of the parts (usually a transparent part or the metallic colored parts). I always got the part back though before he started chewing, so it's OK.

This wouldn't be an issue for me, but my girlfriend and I live together and she has a dog. He's pretty sweet, though, and doesn't seem interested in chewing things up or otherwise messing around with most of the inanimate objects; his main avenue for mischief seems to be wandering out of the house/yard on his own out into the neighborhood. Nevertheless, I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to my bricks (not that anyone here would relate, I'm sure :tongue: ), so I keep them all safely in what we call our "fun room," an extra bedroom where we keep LEGO, games, etc. - sort of our all-purpose hobby/recreation room. I'm pretty diligent about leaving the door closed.

I grew up with dogs, and with Lego, that always meant a closed bedroom door.

Sadly, I have lost many bricks. I have found a few of the lost elements a few days later, but trust me, they were lost for good :(

I have never hit a dog for raiding my Lego stashes.

Edited by Seluryar

Had a dog many years ago...had a tendency to chew the chrome off my greatswords and crowns. :sadnew:

The dog I had never got into immediate reach of my collection and preferred stuffed animals for chewing on anyway. So while there never was imminent hazard of some canine fangs totally devastating precious plastic ,there was the issue of HAIR!! The little bitch (=female dog, still!) would lose her own weight in loose hair twice a year upon which those would scatter about the whole goddamn house faster than you could clean it, including my Lego!

The poor little beast passed away some time ago and still I pull the occasional reminiscenting leftover of her's out of my sorting/storage bins T___T . (Miss you, girl!)

So: Chewing was never my concern, just the removal of stray hair. Which became annoying over the years.

Be well all!

Cutty

Edited by Cutty

My greatest recommendation is to try to avoid your Lego smelling of sausages (or, for the retired sniffer dogs, cocaine). Or distract the dog with a good smelly sock or slipper that they can run off with and hide.

In my experience though, cats with their smaller mouths are much better at having a good chew. Firstly Lego models are really good to rub up against and scretch themselves with due to all the nice point bits, and pirates rifles especially (for some reason) really have a good chewability factor.

You would rather not have any animal swallow your bricks though - it's not really going to be that good for them - so for both your sake and theirs I'd recommend just keeping animals away from building areas!

A couple years ago, when I was still in my teens and into BIONICLE, I had a minor crisis with our dog chewing up some of our masks. I don't know why she did it; all I know is that I no longer left them out where she could get at them, and it never happened again. It helps that our basement is our primary LEGO room, and she never goes down there except when everyone else is there.

I also keep my door closed, but sometimes somebody will forget to close it, and the dog seems to be drawn to the most important peices laying on my floor

Sounds like you need one of these.

My two dogs never chewed on LEGO, although a few minutes ago I caught one of them, the dachshund, nomming on a chocolate bar in the kitchen (true story). I was wondering what those scratching sounds were....

Ive always got Lego all over house with my very messy 10 year old son. Ive got a little yapper and if he gets board we will pick up a element every now and then but generally leaves it alone. He seems the like the softer rubbery elements more than the hard ones.

About 4 years ago My now deceased rottweiler chewed my sons Mutant teridactal from the T1-Typhoon Dino Attack Lego set. He was very dis apointed but she got a walliping for it. After that she only very ocasinally chewed elements but this again is like my little dog and only really chew them when they are board.

In the end the easyest way is to keep the dogs away from the Lego is not to let them near it or at least try and keep your dog bussy when building. Get someone to play with them or give them a toy to chew on, that sould keep them busy.

I have a small dachshund named Nixon. He is a Lego gourmand and has eating more than his fair share of minifigs and pieces I used a product called sour apple on some bricks and left them out. Its non-toxic and just tastes foul to dogs (yes dogs who lick their own rectums). It worked really well he tried the brick and the minifigs found them foul and has mostly stayed away I also spray the boxes I store my pieces in and the bottom shelf I display on the smalls it and knows it will not taste good.

O and he is freaked out utterly by the lego express train scared to death it will get him even when not moving.

Edited by legomonk

In response to you, Legomonk, my dog is terribly scared of my Technic Dune Buggy, and will back away and yap/bark whenever it moves. Now if only I motorized it... :devil:

Now I remember being in the kitchen and hearing crunch, crunch come from the lounge room......I found my dog Bella still a pup chewing on the dump truck from the 2005 construction site set......lucky for my truck - not too many teeth marks. That was the first and last time she ever did that. :wink:

I don't know about how anyone else handles this, so I figured I would ask:

Does/has your dog ever chewed a Lego brick beyond recognition, and what have you done to prevent this from happening again?

1 of my dogs decide to eat a storm trooper i wasnt happy niether was she when she didnt get a treat for 3 days but it stopped her.

Neither of the two dogs or the house rabbit my Lego collection has grown up with has ever tried to eat any of it. I can't say the same for my daughter when she was a baby though :cry_sad:

My dog likes to step on my LEGO if I'm building on the floor, she seems very interested. She never chews it, thankfully. My last dog did chew one or two expendable bricks.The simple thing to do I would imagine is simply keep LEGO out of reach from your dog :laugh:

My dog used to chew LEGO, specifically Bionicle stuff, years ago.

I am not sure what I did, but she has really stopped doing that. She actually seems to respect the bricks somehow, she wouldn't even get close to my area if I am building.

You sure she wasn't just trying to take on the Empire?

I think she might have been but she has not been near any Lego since.

My cat seerms to ignore it although he did run away from my Emerald Night when I set it running around the track the other day. He has never chewed anything though.

When I was a child and they had blue railway track with the old 4.5V system we had a rabbit. He used to come in the house and steal the odd section of track and take it out into the grden and hide it. He had a whole stack of them once we found that he had hidden away in the back of his hut. They were however unchewed, just covered in straw and stuff.