Widdi

Set Review: 8855 Prop Plane (22 Pics)

One and a half week ago, I managed, to buy some old LEGO and Lego Technic Sets at the Bricking Bavaria Event in the M.O.C in Munich, not to confuse with the term MOC. Got one Set from each decade from 1960s to 1990s. Now I'll start with the review. Sorry for the Picture quality, this was made at nighttime, since I had no time to do that set at daylight.

1. Overview

The set had no box, but complete instructions and complete parts, only the fig was replaced with a more modern one, and one small technic bush 1/2 missing (or accidentially thrown away), which was replaced, with a more modern type 2 bush from my parts.

img_2141.jpg

All parts, placed into my old 5571 box.

img_2142.jpg

The rare propellor, a prefabbed part, but quite unique

2. Alternate Model

img_2143.jpg

Tech-Fig (a 1990s guy, since the original fig was lost and Step 1 of the alternate, which was a quite challenging built weighing in at almost 500 pcs and just 15 steps.

First as always with my Technic sets below 1000pcs, I'm doing the Alternate. The 8855 plane, has some sort of shuttle with two functions: Openable cargo bay and moveable flaps.

img_2144.jpg

This is showing the model at step 5, the wings are almost done, a modern set would take 20 steps for this progress.

img_2145.jpg

About halfway done at step 8 the Cargo Bay begins to take shape

img_2146.jpg

Step 11, 3/4 done of the alternate. Whole build was quite fast giving the Age at 1,5 hours for the Alternate

img_2147.jpg

Step 13, only cockpit, wheels and tail to be done.

img_2148.jpg

Done and the cargo bay just opened up to load something.

img_2149.jpg

And closed, ready to take off, wait you've got to set this one up

img_2151.jpg

Side view, and on the newspaper

img_2152.jpg

Rear view

img_2154.jpg

Ready to take off.

Verdict:

Design: 8/10 quite boxy and simple, but still a good B-model

Build: 8/10 very challenging, no piece call outs, they weren't introduced for large B-Models back then

Functions: 7/10 Just enough for that period, an openable cargo bay and working rear flaps, but nothing compared to nowadays.

Overall: 23/30 Nice and simple alternate build and nice looking, for an Late 80s technic set.

3. Main Model

Just after taking the pics, the Alternate was dismantled and all pieces back in the box, for building the plane. This was a challenging build, but easier, than the alternate and more modular. It starts slow, but later you've got to built the wings and the pontoons at once.

img_2157.jpg

Yes that's step 1 here, just a few pieces

img_2158.jpg

Step 4, just before building the engine

img_2159.jpg

While doing step 7, shortly before attaching the cylinder

img_2161.jpg

At step 13 with the pontoons attached

img_2164.jpg

At Step 17, now only the wings are missing and the tail has to be attached, properly

img_2165.jpg

Complete wing construction, uses 132 pieces for itself

img_2166.jpg

And done, ready to go on a flight

img_2168.jpg

Side view, that's a big plane.

img_2169.jpg

Engine, sadly bad lightning, so the image is way too bright

img_2170.jpg

The model seen from above. Regarding the space needed, it's easy to avoid that if you hang it up on two strings.

Overall Verdict

Design: 10/10: Great huge plane and a two-seater. Looks quite realistic for such an old technic set

Build: 9/10 A bit boring at the beginning, due to small steps, but later modular

Functions: 8/10 Nice mechanism, working flaps and tailwings) and working 1-cyl-engine

Price: 9/10 got it in good condition and complete (one 1/2 bush lost)for just 49,50€ without box for 575 pieces.

Score: 36/40 Great Technic plane from the 80s and a huge yellow beast. Only disturbing thing no working rudder.

mFg Widdi

Edited by Widdi

Nice review! :classic: I always wanted to get the 8855 Prop Plane set, or at least the special propeller.

Thanks for the review! This is an awesome set, and one that I really wish I had. I hope LEGO makes another plane in the future. :thumbup:

I must have that set as I found the propeller!

This is definitely one of my all time favourite sets. So much so that it was one of the first sets I had to re-buy from Bricklink after coming out of my dark ages. Great review of it too.

Whats that technic book I see in the background ?

Wait a minute. That's only the CD from the Turbo Command software from 1998, dunno why this one still is there.

mFg Widdi

Edited by Widdi

Nice review.

I never knew this set existed, but it looks very nice :classic:

I think it's only a bit too short, but maybe that was because it should'nt be too expensive :tongue:

(I also added this review to Brickset :classic: )

Edited by legolijntje

It is interesting, I have almost the same set, but in black, but it looks awfully similar, set 8836 - http://www.basebrick...S&itemno=8836-1

8836 is actually very different. For one thing, it is much smaller (only half the size). 8836 also does not have any movable tail.

airplanessmall.jpg

Hi,

Yes you are right, the scale eluded me, nice collection you got there :)

8836 is actually very different. For one thing, it is much smaller (only half the size). 8836 also does not have any movable tail.

airplanessmall.jpg

I grabbed two of these sets from eBay about a year ago - mostly for the propeller. I'll post a few pics of the alt when I get my camera back here shortly. It's a space shuttle model, though a bit odd-looking in yellow! (edit: just noticed alt images were already here!) So... I was pretty disappointed with the prop. It nice and big, but the way it's mounted gives the thing terrible balance. I'm finding it extremely difficult to run it fast via power functions. Anyone else try this? Similar results or were you able to perform magic?

Regards ~ Perry

Edited by PerryMakes

I grabbed two of these sets from eBay about a year ago - mostly for the propeller. I'll post a few pics of the alt when I get my camera back here shortly. It's a space shuttle model, though a bit odd-looking in yellow! (edit: just noticed alt images were already here!) So... I was pretty disappointed with the prop. It nice and big, but the way it's mounted gives the thing terrible balance. I'm finding it extremely difficult to run it fast via power functions. Anyone else try this? Similar results or were you able to perform magic?

Well, obviously it was never intended to be used with Power Functions since they didn't even exist until a decade later. Given that the prop is driven by a single off-center hole, there isn't really going to be any way to rotate it quickly without a large flywheel.

I'm not sure about everyone else's, but my copy of this prop also has a LOT of friction. It fits tight in the hole and does not rotate easily.

It nice and big, but the way it's mounted gives the thing terrible balance. I'm finding it extremely difficult to run it fast via power functions. Anyone else try this?

Well actually i'm stuck with the same problem...i think it was done on purpose by TLC for a sort of security reason (?) for kids not to use it directly connected to a motor...

Has anyone tried to dismantle it to see if the axle is compatible with the technic axles? I doubt...it seems to be a regular steel bar.

Edited by Tropy

Well actually i'm stuck with the same problem...i think it was done on purpose by TLC for a sort of security reason (?) for kids not to use it directly connected to a motor...

Has anyone tried to dismantle it to see if the axle is compatible with the technic axles? I doubt...it seems to be a regular steel bar.

I've tried. It is glued together. You can't take it apart without destroying it.

I don't know, it's getting rarer these days, since that one is 23 years old. I got mine without box and complete at rather cheap 49,50€, that's about the price for a set of this piece count nowadays (but the plane is much bigger). If you want one with box, it's more expensive, but don't know how much.

mFg Widdi

Its a nice set , i like to buy one

If i can find one how much will it be worth?

try marktplaats I saw a couple of them complete without box for around € 30

I am looking for this one. I had him when I was young and I loved the model

Yeah, try ebay ore other places like that, I did and got this awesome plane including the original box with the plastic inlays and the instruction for only 12 €!!!!

I cant believe I got it that cheap! And everything is in very good condition, too!

Edited by fitzi