DLuders

Barman's Lego Power Functions-Controlled Train Switch

On his Flickr photostream, Barman/ Barman76/ barebos (Barry Bosman) posted this motorized Lego train switch controlled by Power Functions:

6341026805_b1f27eeaf6_z.jpg

Photo-sequence Building Instructions appears on his Brickshelf gallery. :thumbup:

6337860203_b56d68524e_z.jpg

The switches were part of his Lego Crane layout servicing his Maersk train containers: "Minifig scale Technic container crane, that can load and unload containers on the 10219 Maersk train, the trucks or in the depot. Using Power Functions to control the train and crane, train is powered by 2 PF train motors. Crane moves by 3 M-motors and a old 9V micro motor (red). Video on YouTube:

," where he added "In a couple of months instructions will be available. This is not a LEGO set and is not for sale."

6338614020_1bdf879fb9_z.jpg Edited by DLuders

Wow... this should be listed to the 7777 redux contest. It would win hands down... excellent in scale designs.

Really nice! I might consider reusing some of your ideas there ;) Was it at LEGOWorld 2011 in Zwolle, Netherlands? I must have missed you then, although I'm not sure, you are from the States aren't you?!

Ah, I understand, he is Dutch, LOWlugger isn't he?!...

Yes, Barman is a dutch guy and Lowlugger :classic: . It stood at Legoworld 2011 the complete 8 days and atracted a lot of people. I believe Barman is going to create building instructions for the crane as well.

Edited by Konajra

Having powered switches is all part of a layout, I'm surprised they don't make an official add on as it is something any serious train fan is always going to want. I guess there just are not enough? Very good to see one though, maybe I can get around to getting the bits together. Nice crane too, although I don't have a lot of room unfortunately.

Having powered switches is all part of a layout, I'm surprised they don't make an official add on as it is something any serious train fan is always going to want. I guess there just are not enough? Very good to see one though, maybe I can get around to getting the bits together. Nice crane too, although I don't have a lot of room unfortunately.

What would be nice is if LEGO made this, because they could do it in such a smaller scale. Any of the motors available now are way overkill for what you would really need to move the switch. Also, all the bricks you need for the mechanism could be so simplified with a small change. If LEGO would take this on, I am pretty confident that could make it so its size would be consistent with the scale and how a real switch motor is sized. Heck, they could even build in a micro version of the IR controls, since the command signals would be minimal, and it could even be powered by 1 AAA battery, that way it is all built into one unit....no wires needed at all. IMO, hat would be a huge seller for LEGO train fans world wide.

Why not use a linear actuator instead of a motor? That would save size and money.

Edited by Tearloch33

An actuator is an actuator, so doesn't matter, you still need to power it. But there are other solutions like they did with 12V.

I use a thread that is hot glued (doesn't leave considerable marks on the LEGO), less convenient though in exhibition setups.

Why not use a linear actuator instead of a motor? That would save size and money.

The design here does use a linear actuator plus the medium motor needed to drive it. There are self-contained items from Firgelli but they fail the cost test rather badly.

Edited by Snapshot

The design here does use a linear actuator plus the medium motor needed to drive it. There are self-contained items from Firgelli but they fail the cost test rather badly.

Sorry, I have not looked at his actual design file, but what I see in the picture looks like a rotational motor that drives a mechanical linkage system that acts as a linear actuator. What I was refering to about linear actuators is that you don't need the rotational motor. They have small, electric, linear actuators that do not have a seperate motor that would remove the need for the bulky homemade mechanisms to simply throw the switch. You need one with like a 1 inch "throw". I don't know what is commercially available right now, since I haven't bought any in like 10 years, but they are used all over the world in automated processing. And my point is LEGO, if they wanted to, could get these mass produced a ton cheaper than you or I can buy them commercially. Like I said, they could even have a AAA battery built in for power.

I guess another option to simplify the LEGO built mechanism would be to use a worm gear attached directly to the shaft of the rotational motor, and that would move a rack that sits on top of the switch arm. That would eliminate the "4 bar" type mechanism needed, and not require the motor to be mounted perpendicular. I am just kicking around ideas, and haven't tried any of them yet.

It actually uses Lego's mini linear actuator but I agree it seems quite complex. There are self-contained LAs for NXT available from Firgelli but the smaller one is $50 and I can't see many of us going for that.

I use this design for motorised points as it's reasonably compact and works well when NXT-controlled.

I use this design for motorised points as it's reasonably compact and works well when NXT-controlled.

I would like more information on using NXT to control points. The layout I'm working on is massive and it would be great to have remote control of my points.

Awesome container crane, very clever. :sweet:

The gripping mechanism is 10/10 idea.. :thumbup:

But the PF-controlled train switch is not a fortunate solution, because of the acting force is allpied on the top of the yellow lever.. :S

It is not good.. it can cause damage on the switch.

Leaving 'out of business' :) the yellow lever is the right solution.

Edited by Kisvakond

I gave up on the container crane I was working on after seeing this. Very impressive! Hopefully there will be some instructions for it sometime in the future? :tongue:

When I get sometime I'll try and do something similar, at least in terms of looks.

I would like more information on using NXT to control points. The layout I'm working on is massive and it would be great to have remote control of my points.

It's quite easy. You need to make a convertor cable as described here then, assuming you're using the same motor design I referred to, using the NXT G motor block, 0.1 sec at 79% power in the direction you need does the job. A standard NXT brick can control up to three points but with a mux from the likes of Mindsensors you can connect as many as you need (cost permitting).

Perhaps we should start a new thread for this?

Edited by Snapshot

About those linacts, we were forgetting that the small and elegant solution for the looks is less elegant for the motor, it will wear the motor out much sooner since it makes the motor peak (draw a lot of current) over and over again. Also it is more realistic that a point goes slower. NXT is of course a solution but it is a way too expensive one. Arduino is much much better therefore.

It's quite easy. You need to make a convertor cable as described here then, assuming you're using the same motor design I referred to, using the NXT G motor block, 0.1 sec at 79% power in the direction you need does the job. A standard NXT brick can control up to three points but with a mux from the likes of Mindsensors you can connect as many as you need (cost permitting).

Perhaps we should start a new thread for this?

Yes, please an new thread would be great.

I know nothing of Mindstorms/NXT except that I purchased this lot from another EBer for the 3 motors.

The PF to 9v Cord seems to work for powering the motors. I'm guessing the "Tower" & "Intelligent Mind" would be used for this?

If you start a new thread, I'll follow you there...

Yes, please an new thread would be great.

I know nothing of Mindstorms/NXT except that I purchased this lot from another EBer for the 3 motors.

The PF to 9v Cord seems to work for powering the motors. I'm guessing the "Tower" & "Intelligent Mind" would be used for this?

Unfortunately, what you've bought isn't NXT but the previous generation (RCX?) so you're going to be somewhat on your own with it.

I'll see about starting a new thread after work today.