def

Mafia School: The Witchbreed Confirmation and Discussion

6324657243_c81ffc8c48_b.jpg

Non-Player Characters

6337714292_d18d6f25fc_t.jpg The Boy King - Your lord. Show him the respect he has been granted by God.

6336960957_35d5ea0d35_t.jpg Mother - The Boy King's mom. Fear her.

6337714252_e02149c106_t.jpg Lord Wolverton - The Boy King's adviser. Stay on his good side.

Players

6336961867_c26e1e71a0_t.jpg

Sir Carrots, The Knight (scubacarrot) - The ideal of a medieval Christian man-at-arms. He has participated in no less than fifteen of the great crusades of his era. Brave, experienced, and prudent.

6337715312_fe7577a7b7_t.jpg

The Wife of Darth (Darth Nihilous) - Darth is an English town on the Avon River, not the name of her husband. Though she is a seamstress by occupation, she is actually a professional wife. She has been married five times and had many other affairs in her youth, making her well practiced in the art of love. She presents herself as someone who loves marriage and sex, but she also takes pleasure in rich attire, talking, and arguing.

6337714788_9fe6fd646f_t.jpg

Dragus, The Pardoner (darkdragon) - Dragus grants papal indulgences—reprieves from penance in exchange for charitable donations to the Church. He often collects profits for himself. He excels in fraud, carrying a bag full of fake relics.

6336961159_3fc9ac5ff9_t.jpg

Gilly Wooks, The Miller (Gingerwookie)- He a big mouth, both literally and figuratively. Wooks seems to enjoy overturning all conventions: he rips doors off hinges; and he tells a tale that is somewhat blasphemous, ridiculing religious clerks, scholarly clerks, carpenters, and women.

6337714110_df2518f599_t.jpg

Voltana Panana, The Prioress (volcanicpanik) - Modest and quiet, this Prioress (a nun who is head of her convent) aspires to have exquisite taste. Her table manners are dainty, she knows French (though not the French of the court), she dresses well, and she is charitable and compassionate.

6336961933_d6a6634e7e_t.jpg

Christos Knight, The Summoner (Chromeknight)- Knight brings persons accused of violating Church law to ecclesiastical court. A lecherous man whose face is scarred by leprosy. He gets drunk frequently, is irritable, and is not particularly qualified for his position. He frequently attempts to sound educated.

6337714354_f96ca498f7_t.jpg

Zam Kuric, The Clerk (zakura)- Kuric is a poor student of philosophy. Having spent his money on books and learning rather than on fine clothes, he is threadbare and wan. He speaks little, but when he does, his words are wise and full of moral virtue.

6337714984_a5d1a9f8df_t.jpg

Skip Pudding,The Man of Law (Skipper)- A successful lawyer commissioned by the king. He upholds justice in matters large and small and knows every statute of England’s law by heart.

6336962073_b65b4d7030_t.jpg

Wully Tintin, The Merchant (Wuntin)- Tintin trades in furs and other cloths, mostly from Flanders. He is part of a powerful and wealthy class.

6337714906_769118ab65_t.jpg

Pirelly Dabito The Shipman (Piratedave) - Brown-skinned from years of sailing, Dabito has seen every bay and river in England, and exotic ports in Spain and Carthage as well. He is a bit of a rascal, known for stealing wine while the ship’s captain sleeps.

6336961421_ee2d6929c0_t.jpg

The Merchant's Wife, Yulie Yodie (Yumiyoshi) - Yodie focuses on propriety and appearances, maintaining a happy home. New to a life of wealth, her working class roots sometimes show through.

6337714522_f6a6b7247e_t.jpg

Biskie Partsy, The Boy King's Maid (Bricksandparts) - She is a hardworking woman, and has worked in the Royal household since she was a girl. She holds the Royal family in great esteem and values her position there.

6336961207_58b89059a1_t.jpg

Flanagan, The Whipping Boy (Flare) - Flanagan has been reduced to providing entertainment for the Boy King, but his original role was that of receiving the punishment to be meted out to the King. He has the disposition of an abused child, both self-loathing and prone to aggression himself.

6337714948_d2c0a05b5c_t.jpg

Cuslo Mizzle, Grizzled Soldier (The Customizer) - Mizzle has served in the castle from well before the Boy King's reign. He is fully aware of how the Royal system works, and knows that one must always serve the king.

6337714854_3628cf135e_t.jpg

Franklin Holmes, The Manciple (fhomess)- Holmes in charge of getting provisions for court. Despite his lack of education, he is smarter than the thirty lawyers he feeds.

6337715166_118f618b30_t.jpg

Cecily Seas, Soiled Dove (Cecile) - A once pure maiden who is no longer considered marriageable. A light and positive personality that worries not about the future.

6336960909_a80999c4f1_t.jpg

Master Hale, The Summoner's Assistant (halomaster96) - Hale is a shy boy that has been taken under the Pardoner's wing. While there are certainly unpleasant aspects to his position, he hopes the experience will give him freedom in life moving forward.

Rules (These are 95% the same as the EB standard; deviations from the normal EB rules are struck-through)

1. Each player will be given a character to play, who will be aligned with either the Town or the Scum. To win the game, the Town must kill off all the Scum, while the Scum needs to outnumber the Town. Third-party (neutral) characters have their own win conditions as outlined in their roles.

2. Each day you will be able to vote to lynch a player. Voting should be done in the following format; Vote: Character (Player). Similarly, unvoting is to be done in the format; Unvote: Character (Player). Proxy voting is allowed, with the format Proxy: Character (Player) and Unproxy: Character (Player). No other format will be accepted. A majority vote is required to lynch a player. The player with the most votes will be lynched. In the case of a tie, the first to achieve their vote will be lynched. Voting is mandatory. Failure to vote will incur a vote penalty the following game day.

3. A game day will last a maximum of 72 hours. You may not vote in the first 24 hours. The day will end when a majority vote has been reached after 72 hours. After the day has been concluded, a night stage will commence, which will last 24 hours (or 48 hours if an emergency comes up). Night actions must be sent to the host in the first 20 hours of the night stage.

3.5. Players may not target the same player two nights in a row, and may not target themselves.

4. The alignment of lynched players, as well as those that died during the night, will be revealed at the beginning of the next day.

5. You may not quote or pretend to quote anything sent to you by the host via PM. That includes all the details of your character and role, as well as any night action results. Role claims and reporting of night action results are acceptable, but in your own words only. Do not attempt to use the structure of your role PM to your advantage.

6. Do not play the game outside the thread. Similarly, do not post out of character inside the thread. Game tactics and roles may only be discussed in the game thread or via PM with other players. Private discussion is done at your own risk and should be treated as part of the game.

7. If you are dead, you may not post in thread or discuss the game with any of the players. Any information you had becomes void, and may not be passed on.

8. You may not edit your posts.

9. You must post in every day thread.

10. If you encounter a problem or have a question, please contact the host via PM

11. Violation of the above rules will result in a 5 vote penalty vote penalty per every 4 living players against you, and death on your second offense.

As we start up the confirmation, let's go over those questions again. I think this will be a good first lesson to a lot of you, because I found there were a lot of misconceptions about mafia with you guys. No worries, this is why the Mafia School was started, so that this is the place to make mistakes. The answers posted here are anonymous, so don't stress about what you got right or wrong.

Let's look :sweet:

A) Mafia games can be easily divided into scum (bad guys) and town (good guys). In a well-hosted mafia game, which of these two kittehs are more likely to be the scum?

a) scared_cat.jpgb) cute-cat-f.jpg

Answers I considered successful

-Neither, Trick question? roles are given out at random, not based on looks

-Well, the kitty to the right looks very devious, while the left one looks completely insane... No seriously, you can't tell scum from town by looking at their pictures. I would need to observe them talk and act first.

-There's no way to tell just from the photos which kitteh is scum and which is town. They are both very creepy though. Only their actions within the game day could show us who is the evil one (maybe both!). <extra points for using the word kitteh!>

-The mafia answer is, it could be either; Mafia allegiance is not determined by pictures and is only discovered in play.

-Is it you can't judge scum (or kittehs) by how they look?

-I'm not sure how the well-hostedness of a game influences which kitteh is more likely to be scum.

If those are role avatars, they're equally likely to be scum.

Answers that I didn't consider successful

-the one on the right, the scarf gives it away!

-The cat most likely to be Scum is Cat B

-B

-I think the answer would actually be "b." Because scum try to hide that they really are scum.

-Kitten b is more likely to be scum as it is more deceptive

-The first kitten LOOKS like scum, while the second kitten most likely is the real scum. I don't trust what's hidden in that knitted pouch she's in. It's yellow! Plus, you said "well-hosted", so it's definitely b.

-B definitely, Looks TOO innocent.

-I choose answer B.

-Kitteh A because it looks more vicious

-B

-A, but both have an equal chance and are both hilarious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

B) In a standard mafia game, how do you get night actions?

Successful answers

-They are assigned to you at the beginning of the game, at random

-In a standard mafia game some players will have night actions, and some will have none. Night actions will be given out in the role PM.

-via PM through your character description (I think) or sent by the administrator/host

-You get Night Actions if the host assigns them to you.

-Folks with certain jobs have night actions. Jobs such as Cop, Doctor, Vigilante, Serial Killer, etc.

-In a standard, basic roles only, game, you do not get Night Actions during the game. You either have them - as described in your role PM - before the game starts or you don't.

-Night Actions are given out to players in the beginning of the game. They come with roles ie: vigilante, blocker and have special effects in the game.

-Night actions are allocated at the start of the game, indicated by PM with the roll description from the host.

-You get them with your character roles.

-Night actions are acquired based on the role you are assigned at the beginning of the game. Certain characters have them, others do not.

-You must be given a role with night actions by the host.

-At the beginning of the game

-By reicieving a certain preset role with night actions

Not so successful

-you write the night actions and send them to the host that knows all the powers of the players, and the next day he writes down the results.

-I believe we get night actions depending on who/what we are. Like I wouldn't have night actions as a vanilla townie, but I would as a Mafia.

-You receive night actions if you are in the mafia or are the cop, who investigates at night.

-If I had to guess I would say you use a night action by sending the name of the person you want to use your action on to the moderator.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C) What is a vanilla townie expected to do?

Successful answers

-Vanilla Townies are expected to play the game. It may be easy to think "I'm just a vanilla townie, I can't make a difference" but when it comes to figuring out who to vote for, there's only one townie who's (possibly, not necessarily) in a better position to do so - the cop. The other town roles (at least in the basic game) do not have any more information - their roles give the town some extra survivability or "lynching" (through vigilanteism) power.

-A vanilla townie is expected to work just as hard as non-vanilla townies, trying to figure things out in the day thread, and possibly helping out behind the scenes.

-Help the town, without night actions, to unmask and vote on the scum

-A vanilla Townie's job is to find and lynch all of the Scum

-A vanilla townie is expected to do the same thing as everyone else in the day - try and deduce who is scum and vote them off. The vanilla townie has no night actions.

-Play well! Work hard as a member of the town to secure a town win! Even though they have no night action Vanilla townies can still be piviotal.

-Vanilla townies are expected to be eaten with chocolate sauce and sprinkles.... as well as to participate in the efforts to determine who is scum based on what can be deduced without the benefit of a night action. Of course, that means participation during the daily conversation is probably more important than for the non-vanilla townies. It's better for a vanilla townie to be the fall guy than for the sheriff/investigator to go down.

-A Vanilla townie is just a innocent town person with no night actions, they are supposed to try to figure out who the mafia is and lynch them.

Not so successful

-They have no night action, can post and vote at will during the day but remain inactive at night

-Vanilla townie is a bland one that has no special powers

-Vanilla Townies are just expected to live as long as they can

-A vanilla flanks is expected to vote and try to help town as much as they can without getting killed. No night actions for them.

-Talk and vote during the day, sleep at night.

-Nothing, pretty much.

-Just help the rest of the town to win

-A vinilla townie is a member of the town with no abilities

-I think that a vanilla townie would be neutral and not be aligned with either the town or the mafia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The key in question one is that the characters/avatars have nothing to do with the game. They are simply window dressing. For example, in the last Mafia School game, on day one, some people were hypothesizing who the killer was based on their circus role, or trying to figure out a character's motive. No, there is no connection there. That's not the type of game this is. The 'narrative' of the game needs to naturally come out of randomness. I randomly assigned characters to everyone, and everyone can start to inhabit the roles. I haven't decided who is scum and who isn't, and that will be random too. So there is literally no way to know people's roles or abilities based on the character :wink:

The second question is a bit easier. Basically, everyone who gets night actions will be clearly told before the game. That's it.

The third is one that I really have to emphasize. A good mafia game really is about reading others and being paranoid. Sometimes, people who are vanilla town get pissed off or want to give up, and that's exactly the attitude not to take. Vanilla town can win the game, and in a proper mafia game with restricted abilities, they are the ones who need to get the job done. Quarryman's Belville Mafia from last spring is a good example. Scum won, but it was vanilla town who had to do the job of sniffing scum out. Scum had a narrow victory in that game. Good strategy and thinking can lead to success.

Any questions so far? :sweet:

Rules (These are 95% the same as the EB standard; deviations from the normal EB rules are struck-through)

I have read the rules, adjusted my signature and am ready to play.

I'm ready for this mon amis. Dang! I got the kitteh question wrong only!

@Shadows: Its kitteh :laugh:

Edited by volcanicpanik

Ready To Play i think

Well, what do you think about the answer? Can you see why it is as it is? Now is the time for public discussion :sweet:

Ready To Play i think

Not quite yet. I'd like you to change your avatar, and put your character name in your signature :wink:

Well, what do you think about the answer? Can you see why it is as it is? Now is the time for public discussion :sweet:

Not quite yet. I'd like you to change your avatar, and put your character name in your signature :wink:

How do you do that

How do you do that

Oh no! I realize you're new to Eurobricks, so I'll fill you in. Most forums have similar abilities, where you can personalize yourself.

Find your name in the upper right corner of the page, then go to 'My Settings'. From there, in the profile section, you can change your avatar (copy the image location from the first post of this page, and paste it in) and change your signature as well.

You don't have anything in your profile so far, but can I ask you a question? Is English your first language? Your posts are really short, and your grammar/punctuation is a little off. For example, the question mark is missing from your question. Just curious :classic:

Okay, I'm ready to play, but I kinda need my role PM to get the picture of my character. :blush: As soon as I recieve that, I'll put it in my signature and avater. :sweet: Anyway, here's my confirmation(Note: This color will NOT be the one I will be posting in in the Day threads. I'm only using it to differentiate my character from my normal post.):

Hello, everyone, what a pleasant day it is to argue calmly discuss things. How are you all doing, may I ask? And my second question, is, which of you boys will I be playing with tonight? :devil:

Okay, I'm ready to play, but I kinda need my role PM to get the picture of my character. :blush: As soon as I recieve that, I'll put it in my signature and avater. :sweet: Anyway, here's my confirmation(Note: This color will NOT be the one I will be posting in in the Day threads. I'm only using it to differentiate my character from my normal post.):

Hello, everyone, what a pleasant day it is to argue calmly discuss things. How are you all doing, may I ask? And my second question, is, which of you boys will I be playing with tonight? :devil:

You can use this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6110/6337715312_fe7577a7b7_t.jpg

You guys know if you right click an image you can copy its location, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to post the confirmation first to emphasize that there is no connection between the mafia roles and the characters. I'll visit RANDOM.ORG now and get a random sequence from one to 17 and assign the roles now.

Once everyone has confirmed their role here, I'll be locking the thread to avoid game discussion. If anyone has questions about the game, it's good to do it earlier rather than later.

And once you have your character role, do not ask about it in thread! Keep it a secret. Tell people only on a need to know basis. If you haven't already, read over the conclusion of a mafia school game, like the Cirque Du Freak, to see how the game went, and what the actions were. I'll be helping out with strategy, but the most basic fundamentals of the game, you'll need to do yourself.

Back to work!

I am ready to.. be whipped...

Now now, try to look on the bright side :sweet:.

I'm ready! I have no questions about the game.

(I put the image in my signature only because of the need to have my avatar set for the Guilds of Historica.)

I'm ready! I have no questions about the game.

(I put the image in my signature only because of the need to have my avatar set for the Guilds of Historica.)

That's no problem, just as long as it's visible :wink: