Sign in to follow this  
Captain J

Brickwood City

Over the past year or so I have been working on a Lego city, and I would really like to hear all of your comments and suggestions.

Brickshelf folder I posted these just a few minutes ago so they might still be awaiting moderation. Please share your comments and tell me any suggestions you have. :classic:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have started working on adjusting the train track layout so that I can add a cargo yard when (if) I get the Red Cargo Train later. I will also be going to the LEGO store closest to me soon and I will be getting some of the new City sets and maybe some baseplates to fill in all that empty carpet. :classic:

Edited by Captain J

Nice little town you have there so far. Reminds me of how much I hate working with baseplates on carpet though, lol. All my old layouts were on the floor and I have very plush carpets so its a bit hard to work with sometimes. I've since moved to our old train table, but I need a larger one to be able to do what I want.

The internet may be the cheaper way to get baseplates. I went to the lego store in Nyc yesterday and they wanted $16 for 2 road plates. Far too expensive imo. For a dollar less you can fill up one of their large cups with enouh bricks to build a small building. Then again, that was Manhattan, so everything is a bit more expensive.

I'd say you have a great start going there. Obviously, and as you said, more baseplates will definitely help the look. You've got a good look there. Building placement; which you've done quite well, is also key.

Not bad start to your city 'Captain J', if you resize your images to a maximum of 800x600 then you can deeplink them to your post. :wink:

You need a better fire station and at least scratch-build some fuel pumps and stick them out front of the garage. :wink:

Keep going and Brick On 'Captain J' ! :thumbup:

:sweet:

Nice little town you have there so far. Reminds me of how much I hate working with baseplates on carpet though, lol. All my old layouts were on the floor and I have very plush carpets so its a bit hard to work with sometimes. I've since moved to our old train table, but I need a larger one to be able to do what I want.

The internet may be the cheaper way to get baseplates. I went to the lego store in Nyc yesterday and they wanted $16 for 2 road plates. Far too expensive imo. For a dollar less you can fill up one of their large cups with enouh bricks to build a small building. Then again, that was Manhattan, so everything is a bit more expensive.

Yes, I agree with what you are saying about the road baseplates... But I've looked on eBay and one road plate is about $10 plus shipping which is usually $5, so around the price of two, for one. But I'm sure Bricklink is cheaper. I will have to check that out once I get some of the new sets. :classic:

I'd say you have a great start going there. Obviously, and as you said, more baseplates will definitely help the look. You've got a good look there. Building placement; which you've done quite well, is also key.

Thank you. :classic: And I will hopefully be getting some more green baseplates soon.

Great start to your city. Get some tables and get it off the floor.

Yep I've been thinking about getting some tables to put it on, but I just don't know where to look. Would some basic white plastic tables be a good way to go? Or try to get a wood one made from a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes be better?

Not bad start to your city 'Captain J', if you resize your images to a maximum of 800x600 then you can deeplink them to your post. :wink:

You need a better fire station and at least scratch-build some fuel pumps and stick them out front of the garage. :wink:

Keep going and Brick On 'Captain J' ! :thumbup:

Okay, I will try to make a better Fire Station. The small red one I have was built using pieces from two super-old sets. On the box of one of them, it says "Num. 001". *huh* And I'll get to work on those fuel pumps! Thanks for the ideas. :sweet: Oh, and about the deeplinks, does it work like this: [ img ] *brickshelf link* [ /img ]?

Well, you can buy a 2010 fire station if you like and to deeplink....when you post there is a little image of a picture next to the site link icon directly below the text colour icon - that's the deeplinker and you copy/paste your page from Brickshelf to there. Tip - delete the 'http' that appears first in the box otherwise it wont work.....it doesn't need two http's ! :laugh: The only way to learn is to try, that's what I did.....Brick On ! :classic:

Thank you Lightningtiger. :classic: I will edit my post and try it.

EDIT: It said "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board." I went to the Brickshelf folder, clicked on the image I wanted, copied the URL of that page, (after I clicked the pic) then did what you said. Then I clicked 'Save Changes' and then that message came up. :wacko:

Edited by Captain J

Hello Capitan J!

I had the same issue as you, not enough support for my basePlates on our shag carpet. I solved that by using one of those wooden puzzle boards, which gives a raise of about two bricks, and gives plenty of support to the city. And when I need to expand,I build some 16x16 two-brick high modules out of technic bricks that I have lying around, then connect hem and build on top!

Brick on!

Dakar

Here is how to deeplink pics. Be sure to resize your pictures as Lightningtiger said.

Okay, thanks! I can do it now, but how do I resize the pics? I edited my post and deeplinked the image, but it came out HUGE. :sceptic::tongue: Sorry for being so troublesome!

Hello Capitan J!

I had the same issue as you, not enough support for my basePlates on our shag carpet. I solved that by using one of those wooden puzzle boards, which gives a raise of about two bricks, and gives plenty of support to the city. And when I need to expand,I build some 16x16 two-brick high modules out of technic bricks that I have lying around, then connect hem and build on top!

Brick on!

Dakar

That sounds like a good idea, but I think a table or two would be better. The largest puzzle boards I've seen are about 3 feet by 3 feet in size. I will try to get some tables soon! :wink:

Read through the tutorials linked to in my sig. There should be one about resizing. :classic:

OK great! I got it now. I'll deeplink some pics of City MOCs soon. Thanks again Ricecracker! :sweet: