gcanik

[MOC] The Timeaus - Atlantis Deep Ocean Tender/Research Ship

So here is the final version of The Timeaus for use by the Atlantis Research Divers.

Here is recap of what I posted before about this MOC: So I started this WIP this summer after spending some time playing with my son and his Atlantis sets and wondering how did the Atlantis research scientist and divers get out to sea with there equipment. So I decided to build an ocean going research/tender ship. The initial design was based on the Kilo Moana, an oceangraphic research ship based out of Hawaii.

My biggest concern in building this ship was in being able to transport some of the actual Atlantis submersible vehicles, so the entire design is built around the hangar bay to house these vehicles. Curretly the hangar can house the Seabed Strider (7977) and Wreck Raider (8057) plus some much smaller personal submersible vehicles. The idea for the double hull design was based on two factors, the Kilo Moana and the fact that I wanted cranes to be mounted on the ship to be able to retrieve and deploy the Atlantis submersibles in a semi sheltered area.

The overall color scheme stays faithful to the Altantis sets using red, lime, dark bluish gray, black and yellow. On each forward section of the bows are weapons to protect the ship against the Atlantis warriors. The starboard weapon system is a missile launcher based on the flick fire missiles on the Seabed Scavenger (the different color missile heads represent two different types of armaments: red being an electrical charge for stunning and the yellow are high explosive sabot rounds. The port weapon system is a combination harpoon guns and small caliber cannon. The bow mounted search lights are based on the ones found on the Atlantis Exploration HQ.

The stern includes two different size cranes. One is a heavy lift crane and the opposite crane is a smaller model designed to deploy the smaller Atantis submersibles. Also on the smaller crane assembly is a tilt deck that can deploy the towed sonar array for sea floor mapping. In the hangar in the back area is a work space that includes a large work bench with clamps and lights, a drill press and a larger c-clamp for holding items along with numerous tools.

The top of the superstructure houses the pilot house and small research rooms. The top is fully removable to allow for access to this area. The pilot/control area has two captain chairs and several computers and a steering wheel to pilot the ship along with HUD (head up displays) to allow precise movements in and out of harbors and for targeting the point defense weapons. To the rear of the pilot house is a coffee maker and large flat screen television/radar panel. The two small research rooms include a computer and electron microscope and a water bath for de-crusting recovered Atlantis artifacts, this one happens to be a golden Atlantis helmet.

On the deck of The Timaeus is an inflatable fast boat for recovery of divers that can be deployed directly into the water on a small arm crane. There is one deck worker who is painting stripes onto the superstructure at the bow of the boat. Also one of the ships engineers is performing maintenance duties on one of the removalbe engines. Other deck hands are using remote control hand held devices to move the cranes allowing them freedom to move around the deck as they move the heavy equipment into and out of the ocean. There is also a small SCUBA utility cart that contains two Atlantis dive helmets, flippers, harpoon gun and two tanks of compressed air to allow the quick refilling of the SCUBA tanks.

Across the superstructure are several positionalbe lights to allow night time operations plus two spot lights on the edge of the upper railings. The very top of the superstructure includes the radar domes, antennaes, communication arrays, satelite tv dish, and other communication/radar devices.

Current Size: 73 studs long by 46 studs wide by 37 studs tall.

Oh and the name Timaeus comes from one of Plato's dialogues from 360 B.C. containing the earliest referrece to Atlantis.

img_4726.jpg

img_4616.jpg

img_4728.jpg

img_47141.jpg

img_4651.jpg

img_4655.jpg

img_4670.jpg

img_4658.jpg

img_4675.jpg

img_4679.jpg

img_4709.jpg

img_4692.jpg

img_47091.jpg

img_4695.jpg

img_4674.jpg

img_4710.jpg

img_4624.jpg

Note: Sorry for the poor lightning in some of the photos. I usually shoot my creations in natural light in a bay window in my kitchen but this MOC was just a wee bit to big to fit in the area so I had to come up with something else, mainly a white cloth on the kitchen floor. And I couldn't shoot outside as the weather conditions just don't allow it right now.

Note2: Stay tuned to see what happens when the Atlantis Warriors take the fight to The Timaeus.

AWESOME final The Timeaus 'gcanik', excellent detailing - fantastic brick-built ship, but a harpoon gun or cannon is that - ouch, I won't tell Greenpeace. :laugh:

Brick On Dive On 'gcanik' ! :grin:

Fantastic! There's a lot to love, the concept, playability, everything. Your son is lucky to have this. :thumbup:

I like how even with the functionality and ruggedness, it still has very LEGO look (and fits in perfectly with the theme). Also being able to garage the official sets inside is just awesome.

Great work.

I wish that this could be a real set so I could buy one!

Agreed! It's a great design and one i'd buy if I could! I love they way you've included the original Atlantis sets with your moc too :wink:

Fantastic! There's a lot to love, the concept, playability, everything. Your son is lucky to have this. :thumbup:

I like how even with the functionality and ruggedness, it still has very LEGO look (and fits in perfectly with the theme). Also being able to garage the official sets inside is just awesome.

Great work.

Thanks for the comments - my original idea when I set out on this build was to make it look like something from the LEGO universe especially the Atlantis theme and not something more realistic (which is how I like to work most of the time when I MOC).

Just got done taking pictures of the 'What If...' story of what if the Atlantis creatures did a surprise attack on the Timaeus. You know sometimes you just shouldn't mess with things in the deep, deep ocean.

img_47251.jpg

img_47231.jpg

img_47261.jpg

Run for your life!

img_4731.jpg

Trying to go over the side

img_47281.jpg

img_4739.jpg

img_4746.jpg

Happier Times before heading out to sea - The Crew of The Timaeus

Edited by gcanik

Excellent work... You know, the first thing I thought of when I saw this was, "Hey! That looks just like the research/support ship from The Abyss!"

As such, it fits in with the Atlantis theme rather nicely. :sweet:

A really impressive design with great detail. I enjoyed the story line you added with the attack from the deep.

This is a really nice ship, I was wondering why it was in the adventure section instead of town (at first) but then I saw all those cool sea monsters.

really funny (especially the man in the big fishes mouth):thumbup:

Wow, that is an awesome ship! I love the twin pontoon look of it, though I think the main area is raised up a bit too high for the rest of it, making it look like its a few seconds away from sinking. Other than that, the details such as the crane, and holding section look fantastic. And the invasion is just a cherry on top.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Excellent work, I like this set a lot :thumbup: :thumbup:

Many thanks for taking the time to photograph and share it. It's VERY impressive. Atlantis (and my toddler son) brought me out of the dark ages (especially the bug-eyed fish) so it's particularly interesting to me. Hope I can make something equally enjoyable for my son someday.

We don't really have a layout yet (we're moving sooner rather than later and my son is still pretty young) but I was thinking about building some sort of multi-tiered table to have Atlantis "under water" (not literally in water but below the city, off to the side, probably in the harbor area). Have you (or anyone else reading this) thought of doing something along those lines? I'm not sure how feasible it is.

Cheers - Joe