Sign in to follow this  
Legoist

Lego Games good parts source for MOCing?

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Do you think some of the Lego Games are good sources for parts useful for MOCing?

Have you bought any of them just for the parts?

We only have Monster 4, and I know that when I bought it I specifically thought that if the game wasn't good or would become boring quickly, at least I could have used the minifig heads. And I've just noticed someone in another subforum mentioning he bought multiple Ramses Pyramids mostly for the tan baseplates, which probably cost (on BrickLink) more than half the price of the entire set new. Other games have interesting parts like Frog Rush and Banana Balance, but I am less sure about them being cost-effective :tongue:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

The Heroica sets look fantastic for part variety in my mind. And if you do City, your younger population gets some new action figures. :tongue:

Do you think some of the Lego Games are good sources for parts useful for MOCing?

Have you bought any of them just for the parts?

We only have Monster 4, and I know that when I bought it I specifically thought that if the game wasn't good or would become boring quickly, at least I could have used the minifig heads. And I've just noticed someone in another subforum mentioning he bought multiple Ramses Pyramids mostly for the tan baseplates, which probably cost (on BrickLink) more than half the price of the entire set new. Other games have interesting parts like Frog Rush and Banana Balance, but I am less sure about them being cost-effective :tongue:

I bought monsters 4 specifically for the heads, I compared the prices on bricklink for a comparable number of the same heads and the game was cheaper, plus you get all the other parts.

The Heroica sets look fantastic for part variety in my mind. And if you do City, your younger population gets some new action figures. :tongue:

I haven't thought of those... well they seem to have plenty of 2x2 tiles w/ stud on center :tongue: and in a variety of colours, probably they are not easy to find.

Normally I quite hate those microfigures, but considering that I am also planning to use Lego material for RPGing, those micro-trolls would come handy to represent small goblins.

BTW, any opinion on the actual bricks quality in Lego Games? Is it identical to normal Lego sets, or is lower like Collectable minifigs?

I love the games as parts packs.

I have bought around 10 Ramses Pyramids for parts (on sale the game is/was only $10) - not only the tan baseplate but the tan and dark tan bricks and especially all the various tiles (29 1x1 reddish brown tiles, for instance). Overall a great parts pack. And in case you can't find it for $10, the Bricklink part-out value of this set is currently $43 so even at MSRP you are paying less than you would in aftermarket price for the same parts.

Monsters 4, as others have mentioned are great for monster heads and a good value in most cases in the USA where it is on sale.

The Heroica games have some parts in colors you won't currently find in any other sets and are a great place for various brown/dark tan parts. Additionally, the Heroica games have many 8x8 plates which are good for vignettes.

Pirate Code - 79 gems! and a large chest. Love it!

The bricks and parts in the games are "regular LEGO" parts - I have noticed no difference and actually they don't say that parts are from China but are from the standard LEGO manufacturing plants. I don't want to start a fight here with this statement, just trying to answer the question.

The bricks and parts in the games are "regular LEGO" parts - I have noticed no difference and actually they don't say that parts are from China but are from the standard LEGO manufacturing plants. I don't want to start a fight here with this statement, just trying to answer the question.

Thanks for the info! :classic: We still haven't opened our copy of Monster 4 so I wanted to be sure, because in some of the pictures on Brickset (e.g. the Heroica sets) the 2x2 tiles with stud in lighter colours gave me the impression of cheaper plastic.

Well I bought the Monster set just for the heads, and it was well worth it if you ask me. I also bought the frog rush set to get some more of those lovely jummy jummy brown frogs for my Harry Potter creations. Mmmm chocolate frogs!

I actually bought both Minotaurus and Castle Fortaan to play as games (and really enjoy them as such). On several occasions, though, I haven't been able to resist borrowing quite a few pieces for MOCs. So I'm sure they'd make lovely parts packs as well.

We bought the 3849 Orient Bazaar specifically for the arches; there are also a lot of useful little utensils and gems in there. Haven't found a use for the 60 pearl gold round tiles yet, though :sadnew:

3849-1.jpg

I'd also recommend Sunblock for the 1x1 tiles in pink, and a few other small tiles and things. I've bought Frog Rush, Ramses Revenge and a couple of other games solely for parts.

I've bought multiple monster 4 and Race 3000 when they went clearance

I also got a second ramses pyramid at a goodwill store

For me it comes down to the price. If the price is low enough, then I can find a use for the parts.

That being said the games are usually a good source of parts because they usually have multiples of the same part in the same set. Here's race 3000's inventory...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?G=3839

It has a lot of good parts, I was especially interested in those large curves. The lego games tend to avoid unique parts, and thus you don't have to worry about getting those parts that scream out, "I could make something cool if I had 8 of them"

I think the color schemes tend to be a little more sane as well. True I don't like the orange or the lime green as much, but I also don't have to worry about this color being discontinued next year.

3839 Race 3000 doesn't have much to offer, but what it DOES have are telephone pieces in a variety of colors.

I only buy the Lego games for the pieces (although I did play and enjoy the frog game, I should buy another one to keep in the game form).

Orient Bazaar as mentioned is brilliant for parts. Frog jump had all different coloured frogs which I wanted, I am going to probably buy the monster head one today, I just ordered 3 Ramses pyramids to get tan baseplates and the parts, Ninjago because I wanted the crates and green plates, and I have also just ordered some heroica games because I want the 2x2 jumpers (and other parts).

They have a really interesting mix of pieces and when on sale, are awesome.

I've got eight Ramses Pyramids now, all of which I bought at $10 or less. They are great for the tan baseplates, the tan bricks, domes, the tiles, etc. At that price, it's a steal for parts, especially for castle / desert / egyptian MOCs.

I bought two Pirate Codes on clearance a while ago at Walmart; they have a ton of gems, and a few other good parts.

Just bought four Banana Balances on S@H for $4.99 each I think. Of interest there is the monkey, the tree leaves (which aren't cheap on BL), and the bananas (tons of bananas).

I find that the games tend to go on clearance a lot more than the regular sets (and faster too), so you can sometimes pick them up very cheap, which makes them very effective for MOCing. It depends on the game and the price.

The Harry Potter game was loaded with some really nice pieces( 4 8x16 dark bley tiles, 2x2 jumper plates galore, 4 different colored frogs, etc.). The heroica sets include the new weapons, which may be small, but hold a lot of detail. And you can never get enought 2x2 jumper plates.

I don't even play the games, I just use the parts.

The Harry Potter game was loaded with some really nice pieces( 4 8x16 dark bley tiles, 2x2 jumper plates galore, 4 different colored frogs, etc.). The heroica sets include the new weapons, which may be small, but hold a lot of detail. And you can never get enought 2x2 jumper plates.

I don't even play the games, I just use the parts.

I never had any interest in the games because I didn't plan on playing them. The thought only occurred to me now and again for buying them for the pieces. I didn't realize some of these games had such good pieces!

Another vote for the Harry Potter game. Great piece count overall, plenty of beige and brown parts, loads of dark grey 6x6 plates, spiders, flags, brown arch windows, in addition to pieces already mentioned. The big grey tiles and the 8x8 light grey one were key parts in my rotary car dumper.

I bought three sets when they were on sale. I've assembled one for play which was a nice fun build in itself.

I'll probably pick up some more for parts when they're at the right price somewhere.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

The games are an outstanding resource for parts. Concerning selection and availability in sheer quantity there's hardly a better method safe for bulk-shopping on BL or PaB. Given the games get on sale more often and then for insane discounts (got me Frog Rush some time ago for about half MSRP, doesn't get any better!).

On another note: I love the games' boxes for their versatility and sturdiness! I use them for storage and sorting now and some even hold my current Castle/fantasy-minis. Great for those insofar, as they can be kept standing once you add a CMF-base to them. So my elves got one box, the crown-faction another, civilians and dwarves are still sharing a box, but dwarves are in preparations to move out ;-)

Only I don't have that much income, so upon hearing some got 10+ Ramses' Returns I had to swallow. The arguments in favour of that fine parts-pack are still striking! It's still on discount (for 9,99€ in some places!) so I'll get me some more. Those big tan baseplates justify the purchase at such a price themselves!

Be well all!

Cutty

Today I bought Orient Bazaar and I got a display copy of Monster 4! The latter is extra awesome because of five different monster minifig heads: Halloween pumpkins, devils, orcs, skeletons and werewolves. Awesome!

And all the little gems and shinies as well as the golden dome in Orient Bazaar are utterly fantastic!

I agree about the boxes are versatile and sturdy Cutty, we have started contacting the Lego games boxes with white contact and using them to store our daughter's craft supplies.

We also use them for storing Lego 32x32 baseplates now. They are the perfect size.