Eric W.

Darth Vader's TIE advanced x1

gallery_101_23_281.gif

After 2 long months of planning, designing, building, tearing apart, rebuilding, Bricklink orders, changing more things, and building some more, my largest and most detailed project is finally complete! Yay for me!!!

6325852407_5f2e46e4ab.jpg

DVtie1 by IMPERIAL FLEET, on Flickr

6326629090_53be99a393.jpg

DVtie3 by IMPERIAL FLEET, on Flickr

6325886085_ee96c62f5c.jpg

DVtie4 by IMPERIAL FLEET, on Flickr

6325903949_2cb86f047c.jpg

108 by IMPERIAL FLEET, on Flickr

Hello and welcome to EB! This is a great MOC to introduce yourself with, and our rebel bloggers have blogged it before you even posted it. That's how awesome it is. :thumbup:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

By the way, you might want to hit Return twice after each posted picture. :wink:

Lovely work. :thumbup: You used a lot of the same techniques in the rear area of the body as I did in my own LDD version of the craft from August, so I can appreciate the amount of work that went into it.

Lovely work. :thumbup: You used a lot of the same techniques in the rear area of the body as I did in my own LDD version of the craft from August, so I can appreciate the amount of work that went into it.

I remember seeing yours a while back when I was looking around. I had the wings done already and most of the body. I tried several ways to snot the flat sections in the back but you can say I was inspired by yours! Your build is a lot more accurate where the back meets the cockpit ball almost like its a modular section that was attached still leaving a gap in between.

I remember seeing yours a while back when I was looking around. I had the wings done already and most of the body. I tried several ways to snot the flat sections in the back but you can say I was inspired by yours! Your build is a lot more accurate where the back meets the cockpit ball almost like its a modular section that was attached still leaving a gap in between.

Something like that, though I'm sure yours is a whole lot sturdier than mine. If I remember correctly, the entire rear section is held on by about two studs and one 6L bar. :laugh: Which brings me to my next question: I'm curious, how sturdy is your model in that area? My other model with a SNOT section that big, the T-16 Skyhopper, is quite unstable, and that's even with the section having gravity on its side. (because the portion I speak of is the tail, and gravity simply pulls it down towards its attachments and stabilizes it)

6325903949_2cb86f047c.jpg

I think this pic sums up the detail that's gone into this MOC :drool:. The shaping, greebling, and detail is amasing :thumbup:. Great job Eric W.

An AWESOME creation 'Eric W.', I :wub: the detailing especially the cockpit ! :grin:

Great SNOT job on those solar panels too ! :wink:

May the Eurobrick be with you always 'Eric W.' ! :grin:

Something like that, though I'm sure yours is a whole lot sturdier than mine. If I remember correctly, the entire rear section is held on by about two studs and one 6L bar. :laugh: Which brings me to my next question: I'm curious, how sturdy is your model in that area? My other model with a SNOT section that big, the T-16 Skyhopper, is quite unstable, and that's even with the section having gravity on its side. (because the portion I speak of is the tail, and gravity simply pulls it down towards its attachments and stabilizes it)

The stand has a 1x10 (I think) brick supporting the back section which also aids in the support of the wing panels. They are connected via technic axles that connect internaly near the cockpit. The wings have a 2x2 thin hinge plate that kind of sit on the flat section edge and keeps the wings from twisting down from the back. The flat sections in the rear are held on by a 1x4 bracket. Because of the weight and limitations of structuring, I cannot really lift it off the stand without it bowing like crazy and/or the wings falling off!

Amazing. You really nailed the shape and the colors. Keep MOCing like this and you'll be quite a respected builder. :thumbup:

Wow . Stunning . The best TIE advanced I've ever seen ( beats tlg's every day and is quite better than the other mocs out there ) . The only creative criticism I can give is that you may want to do something to make it clear where the place where the "body" of the ship ends , and the stand begins is - although it's awesome anyway). Congratulations .

This looks really good - the use of the 1x2 bricks with grill on the wings adds a great texture and I really like the way you've managed to incorporate the standard Tie windscreen without it looking blocky around the edge. :thumbup:

The stand has a 1x10 (I think) brick supporting the back section which also aids in the support of the wing panels. They are connected via technic axles that connect internaly near the cockpit. The wings have a 2x2 thin hinge plate that kind of sit on the flat section edge and keeps the wings from twisting down from the back. The flat sections in the rear are held on by a 1x4 bracket. Because of the weight and limitations of structuring, I cannot really lift it off the stand without it bowing like crazy and/or the wings falling off!

Ah, I see. If I ever build one physically, I'd probably end up doing the same thing, though I wonder if it could be braced by tiles underneath that were attached to the middle area. (though then I'd have to make the middle area stronger as well...)

Wow. Just wow. Best minifigure scale TIE advanced I've seen for now. :blush:

I especially like love the cockpit integrated in the model, even more due to the fact that it's a SPUD. The interior is amazing, so is the overall shape. :thumbup:

Edited by Hollander

I agree with the rest - AMAZING MOC! I especially like the use of grill bricks creating great texture on the wing as well as the interior. And the cannons on the wings is another very clever detail. Keep it up!

Hey, Eric! Welcome to the Forums, man. As I said on Mocpages, this is one of the best minifig-scale TIE Advanced mocs I've ever seen! :wub: Can't wait to see what you do next. :sweet:

Hey, Eric! Welcome to the Forums, man. As I said on Mocpages, this is one of the best minifig-scale TIE Advanced mocs I've ever seen! :wub: Can't wait to see what you do next. :sweet:

He said he would be presenting to us a TIE Avenger, which I presume will turn out even better than the great rendition he’s already made.

I am very much looking forward to seeing more MOCs by Eric W. and more participation in the forums – from the looks of his MOCs and comments, he seems to be quite adept in the hobby! A most valuable contribution to the FOL community.

That being said, am I really the only person across four sites (Flickr, MOCpages, FBTB, and now Eurobricks) who didn’t think this was absolutely perfect at first glance? Looking through the comments, I appear to be the only one to mention the size of the cockpit ball. :sad:

That being said, am I really the only person across four sites (Flickr, MOCpages, FBTB, and now Eurobricks) who didn’t think this was absolutely perfect at first glance? Looking through the comments, I appear to be the only one to mention the size of the cockpit ball. :sad:

No I noticed it but didn't say anything because with something this accurate, to use the ugly SPUD piece, it must be personal choice.

It looks pretty good. Is it a minifig scale?

I seem to remember that the diameter of the 1/24 studio model's cockpit ball was roughly 5", indicating 10ft for the "real" craft. So this is obviously smaller than stud-to-foot minifigure scale - but then again, the ball on this MOC appears to be undersized relative to the rest of the ship. As Mr Man alluded to, the SPUD inaccurately has the chin-mounted laser cannons cutting into the viewport, which I suppose helps explain that.

Edited by fallenangel309

Correct me if wrong, but I believe this picture shows the studio model.

9s4520.png

I think you're right Angel, about the cockpit being somewhat too large. I think the problem is that the SPUD canopy piece is still transparant outward the printed area.

I'll try to express my images through this (really bad) photoshop editting.

25s5r2a.png

Accurater, right?