Agatheron

Modular Cake Shop in Progress

Wow,I really fancy it!

Maybe you can make a wedding cake with the trophie's from the CMF line,or a cake with some kind of candles.

That would be a HUGE wedding cake. :wink:

The attention to detail is amazing! The knobs on the BBQ. All the furniture and amenities in the house, nice!

I have an update with one level out of four fully completed. As I mentioned earlier, I started building the first apartment block floor (2nd floor) when I realized I was short of 1x6 Dark Red Bricks. So as I've been waiting for that shipment to arrive, I started working on other parts of the model.

Here's a broad shot of how the first floor looks from the front:

ccadd82a.jpg

A couple interior shots of the living/sleeping area. This floor strikes me as a bachelor pad:

f2d65499.jpg

81389315.jpg

I had made a mistake with the furniture. I had thought the sofa/chair combo was Dark Red. I was wrong, it was standard red, so I dismantled the dark red and replaced it with the much more lurid colours. Methinks said bachelor isn't quite so good with colour choices (at least according to my wife). :) You can also see the large screen TV and stereo speakers below the book/video shelf. That, and the ceiling fan. Admittedly, the ceiling fan doesn't hold together as well as I would like, but it looks nice. The left speaker does not have a nub to lock down on, so it flops around when I move this level.

Anyway, a top-shot of the bathroom with the upgraded toilet, shower stall, sink, and bathroom tissue:

f8868abf.jpg

The Kitchen:

ca061e3a.jpg

And the balcony with lounger and BBQ:

60ca6abc.jpg

There were a few things I left off for the moment. One is the hat-rack inside the apartment door. Second is a Red Bike that sits in the stairwell, along with a fancy plant. The kitchen also needs utensils hanging from the hooks above the stove. I have all of this, I just haven't done it yet. :) Instead of hunting for those parts, I'll wait for them to float to the top as I slowly deplete the massive number of pieces this thing has.

Oops: forgot to show another overview shot:

96d69b2a.jpg

Edited by Agatheron

I ordered the modular flower shop instructions from Fully Brick Models a while ago, and built most of it in LDraw just to have a look at how it all comes together - and I'm a bit surprised to see that this is more or less a copy. There are very few differences apart from the colours and the use of the ground floor for a cake shop instead of a flower shop. The interior of the first floor (aka bachelor pad) is exactly the same, down to the smallest details. I can see that one would want to re-use a good design for more than one building if one had spent so much time doing it in the first place (and I definitely admit that a lot of these solutions are superbly clever), but I'd feel a bit disappointed if I had bought the cake shop instructions after the flower shop instructions - and then discovered that the building was more or less the same.

Still, I very much look forward to seeing how this develops - I'm considering buying the bricks for the flower shop, but the piece count is simply massive, so I could probably build two less detailed modulars for the same price :)

Edited by L@go

I ordered the modular flower shop instructions from Fully Brick Models a while ago, and built most of it in LDraw just to have a look at how it all comes together - and I'm a bit surprised to see that this is more or less a copy. There are very few differences apart from the colours and the use of the ground floor for a cake shop instead of a flower shop. The interior of the first floor (aka bachelor pad) is exactly the same, down to the smallest details. I can see that one would want to re-use a good design for more than one building if one had spent so much time doing it in the first place (and I definitely admit that a lot of these solutions are superbly clever), but I'd feel a bit disappointed if I had bought the cake shop instructions after the flower shop instructions - and then discovered that the building was more or less the same.

I did look at the flower shop and the cake shop, and yes, the designs are nearly identical. The differences, of course, are brick colour - the flower shop uses 2 shades of blue instead of dark red and tan for the main colours. The roof is black rather than red. The TV Dish on the roof instead of solar panels. Oh yes, there's also the delivery truck. But the apartments in terms of layout and furnishings is very much the same.

I got the impression that really they're simply two variations on the same design, and it is a matter of picking your preference. My six-year old likes to watch Cake Boss. Since the Cake Shop is reminiscent of the shop from the show, it tilted the balance in that direction of which plan I decided to get.

Still, I very much look forward to seeing how this develops - I'm considering buying the bricks for the flower shop, but the piece count is simply massive, so I could probably build two less detailed modulars for the same price :)

Yes. You are absolutely right. This build is much more akin to my plastic scale sci-fi model builds. Right now, that's not a bad thing because my hobby table is packed away since our house is on the market. This at least helps me address my modelling fix.

Now this is a huge project 'Agatheron', keep going - a very impressive modular indeed. :wink:

Detail a plenty in this building, interesting ceiling fan and you gotta love those table lamps. :grin:

Brick On 'Agatheron' ! :classic:

Avalonia Forever !

If I were you would try to work for LEGO because you have awesome ideas, and maybe with you in their team they will bring out 2 modular buildings every year instead of 1 :)

I hope to see more pictues soon :)

If I were you would try to work for LEGO because you have awesome ideas, and maybe with you in their team they will bring out 2 modular buildings every year instead of 1 :)

I hope to see more pictues soon :)

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I can't claim responsibility for the design. :) I may modify a few things, but I am merely building it.

That having been said, I've had to modify a few small pieces like the BBQ which should have been built on a 2x4 plate, or the bed on the second floor.

I'm hoping to tackle more of it soon.

This is such an enthralling build, agatheron, that I feel myself almost psychopaticly willing your Bricklink orders to get to you faster! :tongue:

Well, good news! The final pieces arrived and I was able to finish of the first floor cake shop. Here's some pictures for your enjoyment.

First a shot from the front:

c8e557a4.jpg

Next, an overhead shot looking towards the kitchen. Look for the card stand on the lower left:

2ab4d5fa.jpg

Looking the other way to the display area, including what is in the window:

f86a9513.jpg

From the rear:

fd60e774.jpg

And combined with the second floor apartment:

add80bd8.jpg

I spend more time hunting through hundreds of little bags filled with pieces to find what I'm looking for than actually building. I suppose that's always the way. :)

A couple things to note on this:

1. The flower bed on the front sidewalk is very finicky and did not go together well. Gravity is largely holding itself together.

2. The ceiling fans look cool, but I'm going to need to use some blu-tac to keep the fan blades in place.

3. The public garbage can out front was intended to sit loose on the tiles. I pulled up one tile and secured it down as a personal preference.

4. The lamp out front replaces a tree in the original design which I elected not to do. Well, actually, it's where the fire hydrant was supposed to go, and I put the fire hydrant where the tree was supposed to go. There is a tree that goes out back as well, and I will be doing that, but not until the whole thing is closer to being finished.

Over the weekend I'll be working on the 3rd floor, and if I'm lucky I'll get to the roof.

Looking fantastic!

The colors you chose for the exterior are great, especially the red/tan for the awnings. It really pops.

But the best part is the interior. I think you have a talent for making details with LEGO, looking at the cakes, ceiling fan, and the flower bouquets (NPU!) outside.

Keep it up, I can't wait to see what you do with the rest.

EDIT: Oops, just realized it wasn't your design. My bad. Still a great project though. :classic:

Edited by Skipper

That is amazing! I love the color schemes to the shop, and the designs to the cakes is simply awesome to look at. Nice job!

Absolutely incredible; this has so far truly lived up to its expectations! :thumbup:

Edited by HighFlyer

Agathernon, this is a very cool topic to follow. However, I would suggest updating the first post with the newest pic so it is easier for everyone to catch up on the progress of the creation.

No comments on the MOC as it is a truly gorgeous build so far. The thing that bothered me the most was the quality of the photos :) Because of the flash and bad lightning I had hard time distinguishing all the neat details you put in your creation. Please, please use better lighting when shooting as your skills deserve it! :)

No comments on the MOC as it is a truly gorgeous build so far. The thing that bothered me the most was the quality of the photos :) Because of the flash and bad lightning I had hard time distinguishing all the neat details you put in your creation. Please, please use better lighting when shooting as your skills deserve it! :)

Sorry about that. I've just been using my iPhone for quick updates. I do have a photobooth for macro-photography, and my wife has a high-quality camera. Unfortunately we are moving soon, and the photo booth has been dismantled and put into storage. I'd like to do some higher quality pictures when I get the opportunity to do so.

@Hinckley: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and make that happen. I'm hoping to get a start in on the 3rd floor tonight.

Hi there! I've also bought the instructions for the Cake Shop. I was wondering if you had progressed to the finished product yet and have a request- have you compiled a xml file with the inventory to source the parts from Bricklink? That would save me a lot of time and would be greatly appreciated!! :classic:

Wow, this is a cool design and it will be fun to follow your build (I just found the topic). I like the building design and it's something I could see building as well in the future (except for perhaps the huge piece count)!

Thanks for doing this and posting the pics!

Really amazing!!!

I wonder what would turn out if "Fully Brick Models" and Jamie Berard teamed up in a cellar i Billund?

That would really be awesome :tongue:

This is an amazing MOC, I'm looking forward seeing how the build goes. There's so many interesting details inside, my favourite being the cakes (as I have a big 'sweet' tooth). :blush:

Thank you for sharing this with us. I love the cakeshop. Having a sweettooth myself, my mouth begins to water at the sight of these cakes. The look delicious. I like the colours of this building to. Have you finished it yet? Seems to me you stoped right in the middle of construction, our dis you just stop with updates? Love to see pictures of the finished house.