Derfel Cadarn

Avalonia Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Greetings neighbors to the northwest. I am having a difficult time finding a current map of Avalonia and am wondering if there has been any development in the "Witherwoods" area. Any towns or settlements? What is general topography/flora/fauna/climate of the area? I'm looking for a small village in which to build a Kaliphlin embassy. Perhaps the Enchanted Forest is a better location as it could have navigable trade routes from Kaliphlin's cities of Barqa or Eastgate. Witherwoods sounds intriguing, though. Anything you Avalonians could tell me about the area would be great. Thanks.

Greetings neighbors to the northwest. I am having a difficult time finding a current map of Avalonia and am wondering if there has been any development in the "Witherwoods" area. Any towns or settlements? What is general topography/flora/fauna/climate of the area? I'm looking for a small village in which to build a Kaliphlin embassy. Perhaps the Enchanted Forest is a better location as it could have navigable trade routes from Kaliphlin's cities of Barqa or Eastgate. Witherwoods sounds intriguing, though. Anything you Avalonians could tell me about the area would be great. Thanks.

The Wither woods is a region we have not really built in. Also the majority of it is in Kaliphlin. There are no towns in it either so it is not a good location. If you want woods, pick somewhere in the enchanted forest. However, if you want fields and not so much of a wood, my town of Basilita will welcome you with open arms (no.14 on the map).

Edited by Andonii

I have changed my sig fig's hair to the CMF elf's hair, except in black (I used a permanent marker). I will upload images as soon as I can find the camera.

Found the camera. Here is the sig fig with the new hair

6761250781_129901bab0.jpg

Paint the eyebrows to match :classic::)

G'day everyone, Lord Tigerius here...don't worry I'm still around and currently working on my Locksmith building (sadly an accident happened to my watchtower while working on my forge next to it....you see my weapons are quite powerful :laugh: ).

I hope to have this structure complete within a week. :wink:

Now for LT himself, sorry gang I have been very busy writing and correcting city 2012 set reviews but I'm still around to help my friend Tigerius. :wink:

Avalonia Forever !

Edited by lightningtiger

Greetings guildsmen!

I see you have all been busy working on more new great creations!

I apologize that I have been non-existent recently, but many real life duties have taken up all my time. I have been checking up every now and then and seen some great recent creations from you all. Now that I have finished decorating my house I can finally get back to the guild. The front page needs updating, which I will sort out over the weekend plus I hope to sort out a time line for our history where you can all add your own stories and ideas to our existing history.

Keep up the great work everyone!

G'day everyone, Lord Tigerius here...don't worry I'm still around and currently working on my Locksmith building (sadly an accident happened to my watchtower while working on my forge next to it....you see my weapons are quite powerful :laugh: ).

I hope to have this structure complete within a week. :wink:

Now for LT himself, sorry gang I have been very busy writing and correcting city 2012 set reviews but I'm still around to help my friend Tigerius. :wink:

Avalonia Forever !

looking forward to it! things have slowed down this month for me too. Life seems to be getting in the way but I hope to have my intra-guild build King of the High Elves done this weekend as well as two free builds I have been working on, "Feast at the Captain's Hall" and the "Wonderous Antics of Barnum and his Convivial Troop" Then I can focus on the Embassy build!

Edited by MikeyB

looking forward to it! things have slowed down this month for me too. Life seems to be getting in the way but I hope to have my intra-guild build King of the High Elves done this weekend as well as two free builds I have been working on, "Feast at the Captain's Hall" and the "Wonderous Antics of Barnum and his Convivial Toop" Then I can focus on the Embassy build!

You are beating me to the punch again. :) I just ordered parts for a travelling carnival (very small - wagon or two) but you're way ahead of me.

It has been pretty dead on the Guild forums recently. This was replacing facebook for my wok break visits, but there are times when a half a day goes by without any GoH posts. I hope it picks up again soon. I only have so much time to build, but plenty of time to post. (although phone = can't view MOCs :(

I also haven't been able to build to much these past 2 months. Not sure I'll get my embassy completed.

Now that I have finished decorating my house I can finally get back to the guild. The front page needs updating, which I will sort out over the weekend plus I hope to sort out a time line for our history where you can all add your own stories and ideas to our existing history.

Keep up the great work everyone!

When can we start. This might start the posts again (which Avalonia hasn't had much of recently).

On a side note, all the other guilds have a fair amount of members now, shouldn't Avalonia be re-opened to new-comers?

You are beating me to the punch again. :) I just ordered parts for a travelling carnival (very small - wagon or two) but you're way ahead of me.

It has been pretty dead on the Guild forums recently. This was replacing facebook for my wok break visits, but there are times when a half a day goes by without any GoH posts. I hope it picks up again soon. I only have so much time to build, but plenty of time to post. (although phone = can't view MOCs :(

Mine is small too. three wagons (maybe a fourth) I have two wagons finished and working on the third and then to build the scene around it. I'm pretty proud of one of my wagons. think gypsy vargo with curves. Look forward to seeing what you have come up with.

I also haven't been able to build to much these past 2 months. Not sure I'll get my embassy completed.

When can we start. This might start the posts again (which Avalonia hasn't had much of recently).

On a side note, all the other guilds have a fair amount of members now, shouldn't Avalonia be re-opened to new-comers?

I'm pretty sure that the other guilds still think we are oversized. I'm not sure on the member counts, but I thought Nocturnus was still much smaller than us

Mine is small too. three wagons (maybe a fourth) I have two wagons finished and working on the third and then to build the scene around it. I'm pretty proud of one of my wagons. think gypsy vargo with curves. Look forward to seeing what you have come up with.

mine was still a somewhat broad idea, but maybe I'll actually buckle down and build it once the pieces arrive. I have lots of things I want to build, I just need to focus on the little ones, instead of spending all my time on the large scale MOCs.

Derfel, any chance of any small MOC challenges? I'm not thinking of contests as much as themed builds like the Executioner and High Lord of the Elves. There wouldn't even need to be titles awarded, it would be more the challenge of building within constraints on a smaller scale than the bi-monthly contests.

I'm pretty sure that the other guilds still think we are oversized. I'm not sure on the member counts, but I thought Nocturnus was still much smaller than us

mine was still a somewhat broad idea, but maybe I'll actually buckle down and build it once the pieces arrive. I have lots of things I want to build, I just need to focus on the little ones, instead of spending all my time on the large scale MOCs.

Derfel, any chance of any small MOC challenges? I'm not thinking of contests as much as themed builds like the Executioner and High Lord of the Elves. There wouldn't even need to be titles awarded, it would be more the challenge of building within constraints on a smaller scale than the bi-monthly contests.

I must say I enjoy the smaller builds myself as well. I have always found the big MOC great to look at, but for me building the bigger builds, I find myself getting frustrated and then just wanting to hurry up and be finish with it. Maybe getting over that frustration and patience is something that comes with experience.

I have a list of things I want to build (about 30 plus now, and yes, my lego geek transformation is near complete. I now have a Lego notebook I use to put down and sketch ideas) and I keep coming up with new ideas all the time. I kind of have been slowing down as I don't want to burn out or blitz my way through all the ideas too quickly either! of course with the new modular, CMF and the LotR sets...not too mention Bricklink, my Lego budget is going to take a hit this year and that has slowed me down some too!.

Edited by MikeyB

I'm hoping to finish my embassy on the weekend, so i definitely love the idea of new challenges!

(Yeah. Hadn't even time to take myself on the current ones - which is indeed a shame - but I can make the promise that starting with february i will have plenty of time to bring up some great mocs. Ideas are already developed.)

History seems also a great idea.. There are just too many unclear facts about Avalonia. And I would love to see some historical Avalonia-Mocs.

For those who asked: My embassy developed greatly and the roof ist almost done. Maybe i will post some behind-the-scenes-pictures as my roof construction is a bit special. We will see.

Best regards!

I've had an idea. I am going to create a list of all the creatures in historica. The ones I can think of are: Human, elf (I think their should be different types of elf e.g high elf (most wise), wood elf (from the forest), water elf (live near the sea etc), drow, orc, dwarf and troll. CCan antone think of any others?

Well here is a build I forgot to post, not liking the willow to much but it is a side thing, Advice? Critiscism?

6773269079_8607424485.jpg

6773269109_01aa79ebd7.jpg

Wow, I love the bridge, and I like the tower. I myself have been trying to figure out some alternative tree ideas. I like the willow, but I think the bley hinges are just too blocky. Black hinges, might fit in better, I'm not sure. I really like this MOC though, thanks for posting it!

Well here is a build I forgot to post, not liking the willow to much but it is a side thing, Advice? Critiscism?

Well, first off it is a very cool idea for a build and has some great points to it. As for the tree, I have trying a weeping willow with those same blocky grey hinges. I think that it could work, but might just need to have more leaf pieces added in and strung together(almost free hanging) to cover some of the gaps.

Very nice bridge and fortress wall!

Looks good CJ

I think DC has some tips on a willow in his guide but I think you have the form right but it would benefit from some more foliage. And of course more photos would be great!

mikey