Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Hi fellas! Time has come, this old man called Old Jeremy of Nea Chora, here with his good son Ion, joins to the guild!

Old Jeremy claims that a long time ago he was a general, and he still wears (part of) his uniform with proud. He carries no weapon (as he is too old to make any harm) but only his stick. However he is not just another peaceful citizen of Nea Chora, as everyone admires him for his wisdom and kindness. And of course Ion is always there to protect him from every danger, which is not uncommon in the region...Ion is a very brave and fearless boy, that's why he refuses to wear a helmet or something...he is quite obsessed with his hair too, some people say...

As fot their town, Nea Chora, it is located on the western coast, somewhere opposite to the Gorr island, possibly in the Slot gulf.

Are any other cities there? Considering that the Slot is a major commerce route there must be at least a port, right?

Nea Chora free build is on the way as you may have quessed!

7985689849_5e751285a8_n.jpg

Old Jeremy and Ion by ted.nick, on Flickr

Edited by Theo

Hi fellas! Time has come, this old man called Old Jeremy of Nea Chora, here with his good son Ion, joins to the guild!

Welcome to Kaliphlin! Looking forward to your free build...:thumbup:

@Kai NRG- Nice map and guild story!

@Kai NRG- Nice map and guild story!

Thanks!

And welcome to Kaliphlin Theo!

Sorry, a Grand Emporium.. seriously, just a beautiful set and so many useful peices. (Can you tell i just bought one? :laugh: )

Oh. I see. Yeah, I can see why that'd be useful. :laugh:

*snip*

Kaliphlin really just kinda got dibs on some of the greatest architecture :laugh: Those are great finds, Theo. I dunno if I can build that many houses (doubt I have the patience for it), but I love the concept.

Yes, I've been eyeing the Grand Emporium for a while now. It never seems to go on sale, even on Amazon. (Although even at full price, the price per piece is pretty good) Was thinking about buying it before Amazon starts charging California sales tax on Sept 15; might still pull the trigger on it. Or wait for it to go on sale?

If it were me i'd buy it sooner rather than later, it's getting pretty long in the tooth now and who knows when it will go out of circulation? And at those delicious, delicious US prices it's still pretty good value at RRP. :wink:

Just got around to posting a WIP of my Botanical Gardens University Project:

<snip>

I also have my fifth guild up:

<snip>

Yay, movement on the university front! I like your fountain design. I'll have to go and have a good look through those topics. :classic:

Old Jeremy claims that a long time ago he was a general, and he still wears (part of) his uniform with proud. He carries no weapon (as he is too old to make any harm) but only his stick. However he is not just another peaceful citizen of Nea Chora, as everyone admires him for his wisdom and kindness. And of course Ion is always there to protect him from every danger, which is not uncommon in the region...Ion is a very brave and fearless boy, that's why he refuses to wear a helmet or something...he is quite obsessed with his hair too, some people say...

As fot their town, Nea Chora, it is located on the western coast, somewhere opposite to the Gorr island, possibly in the Slot gulf.

Are any other cities there? Considering that the Slot is a major commerce route there must be at least a port, right?

Nea Chora free build is on the way as you may have quessed!

7985689849_5e751285a8_n.jpg

Old Jeremy and Ion by ted.nick, on Flickr

Welcome to Kaliphlin, old Jeremy and Ion! I very much look forward to seeing your build of Nea Chora. :classic: As for cities in the slot, there is Messahmuk at the entrance, and Stone Town at the other end, but otherwise it's just small towns... unless of course you wish to change this? :wink:

Kaliphlin really just kinda got dibs on some of the greatest architecture :laugh:

Agreed! :thumbup::thumbup:

Now that I have the 5th guild entry finished, I'm going to start working on challenge 5.... I almost can't wait for the challenges to end so I can have more time to work on my free builds. :laugh: However challenge 5 turned out perfect for me to use one of my uncompleted free builds, just with some fairly minor changes.

Welcome! Good to see you all!

Somewhere on the coast across from Stone Town would be an excellent location.

6555498035_0a77b0e7f7_z.jpg

Maybe you can pick a spot on this map, preferably by adding a note to the Flickr page (under Actions > Add Note)? Then I'll get it on the next version of this map, which I was hoping to put out this week.

I've just about finished my build for the "5th Guild" challenge, i'm just struggling with topping out.... bah, it seems i can't remember how to do pitched roofs after all the flat-topped Kaliphlin residences! :wacko::laugh:

Ooof! Out of the loop for a while and I've got several pages to read.

I've been busy with first preping for and now having my cousin and her family here from Germany. But in about a week, they should be leaving to explore southern Florida before returning home.

Hopefully I will be getting back to building soon, but I don't think I will join in the Fifth Guild or Challenge V. I have several builds that I had planned to work on before this enforced hiatus that will have my attention.

Also I still hope to get good pictures of all the characters I have made for GoH. Sdair Zuuree, with his sardonic wit, should be back soon.

gedren_y

Brothers and sisters, I am finally back home :laugh:

I went on a LEGO-trip together with my brother through Germany. We visited 4 PAB's (2 Cup's each) and Legoland Germany :thumbup:

For these who live near Munich: it's very interesting there atm as there is a box with all tan leftovers!!! Also a lot of reddish brown 1x4 tiles!

I also got a lot of crates and barrels, golden cups, .... so I am quite pleased :classic:

Oh, and a reason you definetily should go to Legoland is simply because there is a "factory" inside where you have a shop and it sells something like this:

- The biggest assortiment of bricks ever seen! But, it's 9 euro for 100 gram, so this is really a rip-off!!!

- A really huge collection of minifig-parts. It's 1.25 Euro for a completed minifig with headgear and 1 accessoire (and if you buy 6, it's only 7 euro!!!). Also each accessoire extra costs only 25 cent :classic:

But anyway, I got a lot of reading to do here and I will upload probably 2 new topics tomorrow :classic:

Great MOC btw, Sir Gabe!

And welcome to Theo!!

Edit:

Working on a tall erection??? :laugh:

Edited by DaMaximus

I'm not really sure what i've created here for the 5th guild challenge... i wanted it to look a bit like a mish-mash of Japanese, south-east Asian and Pacific building styles, but all i can see right now is a tacky, Japanese-themed haunted house! :wacko: The upper balcony is certainly too wide, if i pull that in it might help. :sceptic: Idk, what do you guys think?

5thguildwipeb_200912.jpg

Ack, it's nearly 2am! What the megablocks, self.

I'm not really sure what i've created here for the 5th guild challenge... i wanted it to look a bit like a mish-mash of Japanese, south-east Asian and Pacific building styles, but all i can see right now is a tacky, Japanese-themed haunted house! :wacko: The upper balcony is certainly too wide, if i pull that in it might help. :sceptic: Idk, what do you guys think?

I didn't see tacky, but I do see Japanese and Haunted House! I think haunted house is because of the verdana/plantation style layout.

Edited by Cara

In general I love it! Here are a few small suggestions:

• Narrow the upper balcony like you suggested
  • Change the colors on both balconies to something like reddish brown and/or brown. Tan and dark-tan don't say Japanese/SE-Asian/Pacific Islander to me. Maybe brown and dark-red would work?
  • Try to get the roof to overhang the structure farther, perhaps even with a bit of a tilt up towards horizontal for the last few studs. That will look more Asian.
  • I think the upper balcony might look better if the railing was not solid, or if it had a simple roof / canopy on it. Not sure, but worth trying.

Can't believe you got all that into 20x20! Great job; looking forward to the finished product!

5thguildwipeb_200912.jpg

I really kind of like it... Although, I do see a bit of old haunted mansion in there. I did something similar, yet not as beautiful and then scrapped it... I just really like the balconies you put in though, I do agree with NM, tan might not be the right color.

On another note, it turns out my collection is now almost 90% geared towards Kaliphlin colors, so trying to build outside of tan and white is really hard for me.

*snip*

Actually, I like it. Perhaps a few brighter colors if you're not happy with the haunted house look, but that's about it, I'd say.

Looking good so far, certainly haunted but that gives a nice feel to the build. :thumbup: If you are going to end up making it haunted, it might be a good idea to introduce a few hanging brown 1x4 tiles or maybe a hole in the roof? :laugh:

Looks fantastic to me! The Asian influence is very evident, and that could be a great introduction to GoH

I didn't see tacky, but I do see Japanese and Haunted House! I think haunted house is because of the verdana/plantation style layout.

Yeah, looking at it with fresh eyes this morning, i think the hight/width/roof pitch seems to have similar proportions as the MF haunted house, which has also been on my mind lately! :wink: Mybe that's it. I'm glad you don't think it's tacky though! I guess i was just a bit dismayed that it looked to be progressing in a different direction than i anticipated.

In general I love it! Here are a few small suggestions:

• Narrow the upper balcony like you suggested
  • Change the colors on both balconies to something like reddish brown and/or brown. Tan and dark-tan don't say Japanese/SE-Asian/Pacific Islander to me. Maybe brown and dark-red would work?
  • Try to get the roof to overhang the structure farther, perhaps even with a bit of a tilt up towards horizontal for the last few studs. That will look more Asian.
  • I think the upper balcony might look better if the railing was not solid, or if it had a simple roof / canopy on it. Not sure, but worth trying.

Can't believe you got all that into 20x20! Great job; looking forward to the finished product!

Great suggestions NM, i really appreciate your feedback! :classic: I agree with you in the main, the balcony definitely needs to either go or be revised down and the roofline could use some more exaggerated accents to get the feel i'm after. :thumbup: Also, if the top balcony survives, it will definitely have a roof over it, this is still just a WIP. :wink:

Regarding the tan colours, i did actually begin with reddish brown for the back walls and railing, but it ended up looking waaay too dark. I felt that i really needed a lighter tone that still evoked natural colours, so this is how i arrived at the tan solution. Maybe it's not the best one, but unfortunately it's not something i have time to change now - the tan/dark tan walls go all the way down to the ground floor, so changing it would mean major surgery! :look:

Oh, and i like the idea of semi-solid railings - i might try that for the upper balcony, assuming it survives. :thumbup:

I really kind of like it... Although, I do see a bit of old haunted mansion in there. I did something similar, yet not as beautiful and then scrapped it... I just really like the balconies you put in though, I do agree with NM, tan might not be the right color.

On another note, it turns out my collection is now almost 90% geared towards Kaliphlin colors, so trying to build outside of tan and white is really hard for me.

Thanks! Haha, yeah, i know what you mean - i have a heap of tan and dark tan too. I guess sometimes the trick is to not fall into the trap of thinking that a particular style should "own" a colour - tan is for everyone, not just Kaliphlin! :laugh: (ok, maybe not so much Nocturnus... :wink:)

Actually, I like it. Perhaps a few brighter colors if you're not happy with the haunted house look, but that's about it, I'd say.

Cheers, thanks for the feeback! Yeah, i put in a more brightly coloured freize around the top of the ground floor, but you can't really see it in this rubbish pic. :classic:

Looking good so far, certainly haunted but that gives a nice feel to the build. :thumbup: If you are going to end up making it haunted, it might be a good idea to introduce a few hanging brown 1x4 tiles or maybe a hole in the roof? :laugh:

Cheers Kai, although i didn't plan the haunted house vibe and i'm not sure that i want to run with it... but thanks anyway! :classic:

Looks fantastic to me! The Asian influence is very evident, and that could be a great introduction to GoH

Thanks Kayne! Yeah, it seemed like an SE Asian flavour was largely missing from GoH, so it seemed a logical choice to try to introduce. :classic:

it seemed like an SE Asian flavour was largely missing from GoH, so it seemed a logical choice to try to introduce. :classic:

Exactly what I was thinking when I made Morgali, I hope mine or yours or anyone else planning on doing asian wins this! (although there are some really nice ones out there)

Exactly what I was thinking when I made Morgali, I hope mine or yours or anyone else planning on doing asian wins this! (although there are some really nice ones out there)

I would agree, Asian influence would be nice. I know we seemed to inherit it as the guild of traders - but a straight Asian influenced culture would probably do really well. When I was making the moon princess, I kept wishing I had the geisha minifig so I could have dressed her in white makeup to present a more Asian feel - I see the religion in Pennamore (my 5th guild entry) as more of the Asian culture which comes clashing with the ruler part of the guild which is more traditionally Norman with Asian influence. My vignette that still is not done isn't really becoming Asian enough for me. I tried to build a small island... but guess what? I have no blue for water!!!! Limitations of colors does me in again. So now I am scrambling to figure out what to do for the vignette.

Hey guys, sorry to dampen the mood in here but I may be taking a major backseat for a while in here. Earlier this week, I had to bring my wife in to the ER. She woke me at 2am because she could not move or feel her right side at all. It was not a stroke, so that was great news, and she has regained sensation in that side. However, her limbs and face on the right side are having uncontrollable muscle spasms nearly every couple of minutes. We still have no idea what it is, and the doctors are running just about every test they can think of. So far, it could be anything from a spinal cord injury(she is recovering from a herniated disc), to a neurological disorder.

I will continue to be online, as this is one of my few outlets from reality, but building will probably be down as I am trying to run the house, work and help her with even brushing her teeth.

Hey guys, sorry to dampen the mood in here but I may be taking a major backseat for a while in here. Earlier this week, I had to bring my wife in to the ER. She woke me at 2am because she could not move or feel her right side at all. It was not a stroke, so that was great news, and she has regained sensation in that side. However, her limbs and face on the right side are having uncontrollable muscle spasms nearly every couple of minutes. We still have no idea what it is, and the doctors are running just about every test they can think of. So far, it could be anything from a spinal cord injury(she is recovering from a herniated disc), to a neurological disorder.

I will continue to be online, as this is one of my few outlets from reality, but building will probably be down as I am trying to run the house, work and help her with even brushing her teeth.

Too bad to hear that! :wacko:

I really hope she will be better soon!

I really feel for you and your wife! :cry_sad:

Take care of her and I hope she recovers fast and soon!