Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Nononono! You're all wrong!

The alchemists were the people who tried to turn lead into gold.

Magic is the study of Mana/Magicka A "Magic" force that can be harnessed into powers beyond our wildest dreams, Provided we get to sleep with all of that racket, and then have dreams.

Edited by Medic!!!

But how will we do it?

We can say for example that the University of Petraea has a wide campus with different buildings for each subject?

Or do you got other ideas for the university?

Did anyone see the Hogwarts community build over in the Licensed themes? I was thinking of something like that, where we concentrate more on the different classrooms and areas instead of doing a whole building. I think we would be able to make more builds that way since they could be on a smaller scale, but I am up for anything.

Another idea would be to split the classrooms across different buildings, each with a slightly different color scheme to stay looking unified. That way everyone can participate with the bricks they have and if they don't have enough of one color, the builds would still look unified based on what building you decide on.

I have a great idea for a Medical Sciences room if you want to add that one to the list. We should also think about adding common rooms to the list too, like courtyards, dormitories, libraries, bathrooms ect.

Did anyone see the Hogwarts community build over in the Licensed themes? I was thinking of something like that, where we concentrate more on the different classrooms and areas instead of doing a whole building. I think we would be able to make more builds that way since they could be on a smaller scale, but I am up for anything.

Another idea would be to split the classrooms across different buildings, each with a slightly different color scheme to stay looking unified. That way everyone can participate with the bricks they have and if they don't have enough of one color, the builds would still look unified based on what building you decide on.

Well my idea was just one building for one classroom. Like you say, this will eliminate the problem of not having the necessary bricks for a unified building :classic: Those who want can for example even build a grey Japanese looking class building :laugh:

I have a great idea for a Medical Sciences room if you want to add that one to the list. We should also think about adding common rooms to the list too, like courtyards, dormitories, libraries, bathrooms ect.

Great ideas!!!

And let's say we only can work on one thing at a time. For example I start with History and only when I finished it, I can choose the next one :classic:

@Medic: So alchemy is more scientific... :laugh:

I'll put astronomy in the list as well :classic:

Well, it's not really the same I think. Magic is what Victor Revolword and that Mage of S-o-t's stories are... Alchemists is more chemics and stuff like that :laugh:

Yeah, I guess there's some difference (magic works and alchemy tries to?). . . I think your ideas for building are good, but what exactly are we looking for? A hall, or more like a classroom? And I like the courtyard, dormitories, etc. idea. :thumbup:

Well, anything that gets our free build points up is good :classic: remmeber we are building for quality not quantity. Erynlasgalen, the Hogwarts Community build was superb and there were some really great entries. The limitation with it really was that it was mostly interiors, I suggest Petraea University should have a whole bunch of exterior builds (because generally people prefer to build exteriors) as well as interiors. It probably has a lot of ancillary buildings too (greenhouses, kitchens, tanneries, smithies, etc...) which is another way of saying, please feel free to build whatever you like, and submit it as a University free build.

Universities agglomerate through time and build up different departments in different locations, so there is no need for architectural consistency - let`s use it as a chance to demonstrate eg ancient Kaliphlin styles, or the most modern glazing techniques. The initial idea was that the University build would feature a different special technique in each build, it would be great if we can work that in.

Agaven, I think that subject list is a bit "modern" for Petraea :wink: , but if you have a good idea, please build it! For our more recent guild members, we have so far had a very good build by Cristoph on astronomy, and I have contributed on Opticks.

I am pleased to announce that the Petraea General Trading Company is transferring its R&D division to the University of Petraea to contribute to our progress against the elementals.

:laugh:

ps congratulations to all on making it past 100 pages! Wow!

Edited by robuko

Aw, sweet, i'm really glad that the Petraea university idea is being revived! :thumbup: I have an entry on my ever growing "to build" list of a main lecture theatre/general forum - with the idea that it then gets turned over to guest lecturers from all over Historica to teach building tips and techniques in. :classic: But who knows how long it'll be before i can get to that - i am still struggling on with the elemental free build. :wacko: So if anyone else wants to have a crack at it, just let me know and i'll try for another campus building instead.

Aw, sweet, i'm really glad that the Petraea university idea is being revived! :thumbup: I have an entry on my ever growing "to build" list of a main lecture theatre/general forum - with the idea that it then gets turned over to guest lecturers from all over Historica to teach building tips and techniques in. :classic: But who knows how long it'll be before i can get to that - i am still struggling on with the elemental free build. :wacko: So if anyone else wants to have a crack at it, just let me know and i'll try for another campus building instead.

Me too, I am glad it is getting play again. We should do it! I will have more time next week to comment... when I have internet again...

BTW, we got the house! But now I must pack everything and move by 8AM tomorrow. (Yeah old landlord sucks!) More next week.

Good luck Ska!

I like the idea of the University, however I will not be able to participate for a while. Between the Design a 5th Guild challenge and the 80x64 Free build that I'm working on, my time and bricks are a bit tied up!

I'm hoping I can wrap the Free build up in the next couple of weeks, but it is definitely the largest thing I have ever tried to do and I want it to look right!

Me too, I am glad it is getting play again. We should do it! I will have more time next week to comment... when I have internet again...

BTW, we got the house! But now I must pack everything and move by 8AM tomorrow. (Yeah old landlord sucks!) More next week.

Yay, congrats on getting a new place to live, that's great news! :thumbup: Best of luck with the moving - hope to see you back here soon.

Good luck Ska!

I like the idea of the University, however I will not be able to participate for a while. Between the Design a 5th Guild challenge and the 80x64 Free build that I'm working on, my time and bricks are a bit tied up!

I'm hoping I can wrap the Free build up in the next couple of weeks, but it is definitely the largest thing I have ever tried to do and I want it to look right!

Ooh, sounds intruiging Kayne... can't wait to see what you come up with for your free-build. :sweet:

Great news about the house (with lego room!) Ska :thumbup: :thumbup: Good luck with the move!

Kayne, that sounds ginormous. Looking forward to seeing this big beauty!

:classic:

I have a few builds just waiting to be photographed ;)

But I am going away for a week. I'd love to see what you guys come up with in that time :)

EDIT: Here it is:

7855670028_1b98d3ef9b.jpg

7855682856_3af22571c8_m.jpg

;) Have a nice time without me!

Edited by Medic!!!

Well, anything that gets our free build points up is good :classic: remmeber we are building for quality not quantity. Erynlasgalen, the Hogwarts Community build was superb and there were some really great entries. The limitation with it really was that it was mostly interiors, I suggest Petraea University should have a whole bunch of exterior builds (because generally people prefer to build exteriors) as well as interiors. It probably has a lot of ancillary buildings too (greenhouses, kitchens, tanneries, smithies, etc...) which is another way of saying, please feel free to build whatever you like, and submit it as a University free build.

Universities agglomerate through time and build up different departments in different locations, so there is no need for architectural consistency - let`s use it as a chance to demonstrate eg ancient Kaliphlin styles, or the most modern glazing techniques. The initial idea was that the University build would feature a different special technique in each build, it would be great if we can work that in.

Agaven, I think that subject list is a bit "modern" for Petraea :wink: , but if you have a good idea, please build it! For our more recent guild members, we have so far had a very good build by Cristoph on astronomy, and I have contributed on Opticks.

I am pleased to announce that the Petraea General Trading Company is transferring its R&D division to the University of Petraea to contribute to our progress against the elementals.

:laugh:

ps congratulations to all on making it past 100 pages! Wow!

The only subject I suggested was astronomy, I think - although I'm not sure how modern or ancient this is supposed to be. :wink:

Anyway, we would need some exterior buildings! And might it be a good idea to give participators titles based on what they chose to build? (Eg. if you build a library, you could be titled "Grand Librarian") Just an idea (I like titles :classic: ).

Glad to hear you you won't have to worry about landlords selling anymore...default_blink.gif And aesome news about your LEGO room.default_thumbup.gif

I was thinking along these lines as well. I think it would be great to see some more interiors. I don't know what the minimum size is for a free build to count, but I was thinking that if we were all given a certain size to work with that everyone would be able to work with, it might inspire more creativity and quality. I'm also about maxed out on projects since my projects have been very large so I may end up not even participating. I keep having to remind myself I need to finish my ship (actually 2 ships), pyramid, and castle- in that order. With the guild mini challenge, I got sidetracked once again so I have several builds either built or in progress as this got bumped to the top of my to do list. But I always like to see what others come up with. robuko's The Auction seems like a prime example for a University MOC.

Looking forward to your free build! Your builds are always top quality!

EDIT: Here it is:

7855682856_3af22571c8_m.jpg

Nice vig Medic!

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Prelude to Challenge 5:

And so it was that the great Elemental Plague washed over Historica from border to border. From the frozen plains of Mitgardia, to the lush forests of Avalonia, all the way to the sandy expanses of Kaliphlin, and the boiling volcanoes of Nocturnus, great elemental monsters devoured villages and towns, forcing the citizens of Historica to flee by the thousands. Only the great capitals and largest cities continue to hold out against the elemental threat. While the monsters at his command decimate the landscape, Victor Revolword plots the overthrow of Historica’s Capital Cerdica.

In a dungeon not far from the High King’s mighty city, a well-dressed gentleman fears for his life. He is a servant to the High King; one of a myriad of fateful lackeys sworn to his majesty’s service, who finds himself in a dire situation. The door to the small dungeon room opens and the black wizard himself steps through.

7857395920_c562021aa9_c.jpg

Victor: “Do you know who I am, servant?”

Servant: “Yes. You’re that wizard… The one who unleashed the elementals. Please don’t hurt me! I don’t know anything, I swear!”

Victor: “Silence! You’ll do well for yourself if you rethink your loyalties. Now, keenly pay attention to what I say. Rumor has it that the king’s servants use a secret entrance in and out of the capital city. The rumors go on to say that this entrance leads out somewhere in the wilderness by the Hammerhead lake. If that were to be true, I very much want to know about where the entrance is. Now speak, I am a busy man.”

Servant: “What? There’s no such a thing! The only way in and out is through the guarded gate! You have been misled, good sir.”

Victor: “Careful, servant. Lying to me has dire consequences. I ask again; where is the hidden entrance inside the city?”

Servant: “I swear to you, there is no such a thing!”

Victor: “Very well, then we must do this the hard way” He walks towards the door and calls out. “Rellik, come in here.”

A tall, intimidating character steps through the door. He is armored from head to toe, and yields a mighty war ax. His face is blistered over and muddy, his eyes a piercing shade of blue. He walks in, bows, and stares down the terrified servant.

7857394276_a3c98c92e3_c.jpg

Victor: “Are you familiar with “The Hand of Corruption” servant? Of course you are; you must have heard stories about them your whole life. I’d like you to meet their leader, my trusted general and the agent of your Guilds’ undoing! This is Rellik Nam; the Scourge of the Eastern Kingdoms.”

Servant: “Impossible! The Hand of Corruption is just a folk tale!”

Victor: “Oh, it’s more than a tale foolish servant. It’s a cursed legend. “The Hand” forgives no one; its grasp is far reaching, and its retributions are swift. Look into Rellik’s eyes servant, and tell him you don’t know anything about a secret entrance in the wilderness.”

Servant: “I beg you sir, please realize I know nothing! I fear for my life, and your general fills me with terror… Alas, I cannot give you what you want, as it does not exist. Please good sir, let me go, I’m merely a servant. I know nothing of the affairs of the High King…”

Victor: “Enough. Rellik, this tight-lipped and stubborn servant won’t tell me what I want to know, and I grow impatient. Persuade him to speak. I shall be outside.”

Rellik Nam: “Yes my lord. My pleasure.”

Servant: “Wait! No, please sir, I swear I don’t know anything! Oh no!!!”

7857392298_4ef9267582_c.jpg

Victor leaves the dungeon cell, and closes the door shut behind him.

After a few minutes of horrific screams and sounds of struggle, Rellik opens the door and flashes a rotten grin to his master. Victor nods, and walks in along with blistered creatures who carry the mark of the “Hand of Corruption” on their armor and shields. The servant lies on the ground, bloodied, weeping and clutching at his side.

Victor: “Well Rellik? What did he say?”

7857391340_b5ca7b0645_c.jpg

Rellik: “There is a small town on a lake near the capital. Above the lake is a windmill; isolated from the rest of the village. A trapdoor in there will lead us directly into the antechamber of the King’s Summer palace.”

Victor: “Wonderfully done Rellik. It appears we are ready for our little escapade. How large is our force?”

Rellik: “Five hundred strong; more are joining every day my lord. “The Hand” has ways of corrupting the mind. Very soon Histroica’s own defenders will be marching under our banners.”

Victor: “Excelled Rellik! Now… we no longer need this spineless worm. Feed him to the wolves.”

Rellik: “Yes my lord.”

-----------------------------

Meanwhile in the Mitgardian capital of Valholl an old Norse warrior steps through the threshold of a well-lit library room. He looks preoccupied, and the haste in his step suggests purpose and timeliness.

7857390234_f6ec23bef8_c.jpg

Jarl Nibelung: “Ah, Hersir Chorian! You’ve come just in time! Step closer, tell me; what is the situation outside of Valholl?”

Elon Chorian: “It’s pandemonium out there Jarl Nibelung! The damned elementals have devoured everything east of Ondylion. My city is taking on thousands of refugees. I make a great sacrifice coming here today; I pray you have something important for me.”

Jarl Nibelung: “I do Hersir. We may have found a way to dispel the Elemental magic used by the traitor Victor Revolword!”

Elon Chorian: “By the gods! Do tell Jarl!”

7857389372_d21854d54c_c.jpg

Jarl Nibelung: “I received a visitor late last night. He came to the palace all the way from the top of the temple on Mount Varocha. He is a monk of the Order of Eden. He brought a curious scroll along with him. He claims that the magic described herein can dispel any elemental monster.”

Elon Chorian: “Magic? That’s what we resolve to? We’re Norsemen men Jarl! We fight with sharpened steel. I’ve seen these monsters with my own eyes; I hardly see how a magic spell can knock them down! And why am I summoned to hear about it? I am no wizard, Jarl Nibelung!”

Jarl Nibelung: “No, but there is something you should know. Let me introduce the monk to you. Brother Hemli, please come over.”

A man dressed in a grey tunic, yielding a magic staff, stands up in the opposite corner of the library. He puts the book he has been reading down, and walks towards the Jarl and the Hersir.

7857388458_49f069636a_c.jpg

Brother Hemli: “Yes Jarl?”

Jarl Nibelung: “Brother Hemli, this is the Hersir of Valholl, Elon Chorian. He needs to hear what you told me about ancient sites of power.”

Brother Hemli: “Ah yes! It’s a fascinating scroll we have here! It describes the elemental magic used by the black wizard Victor to raise the elementals. Interestingly enough, it appears that the elementals, while mighty and powerful, are susceptible to a particular type of ancient magic. This is the same energy present at mystic sites throughout Historica! Elven villages, mystic forests, haunted cavers, and many other locations emit this benevolent type of magic; harmless to people, but deadly to the Elementals. As a result they won’t go near these sites!”

Jarl Nibelung: “You see Chorian! This is a major advantage to us! There are areas throughout Historica where these elementals cannot go! We can use them to organize our forces; make camps for our soldier and refugees, and eventually use the magic to drive these abominations back to Oblivion!”

Elon Chorian: “With camps like these, we can organize a resistance and fight back towards the cities! But can we move this magic around?”

Brother Hemli: “Yes! Mages trained in this magic school can accompany your forces and drive the monster back!”

Elon Chorian: “Then we can win this war! This is great news indeed!”

Jarl Nibelung: “There is unfortunately a complication. Victor has not been seen since the attacks started. Without knowing where he is, we have no way of stopping him. While we can hold back the elementals, he too can summon them without end. We risk turning all of Historica into a permanent magical battlefield, the consequence of which will be severe for generations to come! Worse yet; I’ve heard news from our friends in Avalonia; they say regiments of the “Hand of Corruption” roam their countryside, abducting young men, forcing them to join the ranks of Victor’s corrupt forces. It seems that the wizard is planning something big.

7857387284_8c6aefa703_c.jpg

Brother Hemli: “Yes… they are corrupt creatures from the eastern Kingdoms, led by an infamous blood-thirsty fiend. If the wizard manages to raise himself an army of them, the elementals will be the least of our problems.”

Elon Chorian: “Then we must move quickly to secure locations around Historica! If they are indeed safe from elementals, we can use them as war camps to hunt down Victor’s forces and to find him!”

Jarl Nibelung: “That was my plan yes. But we must move quickly.”

Elon Chorian: “I will return to Ondylion and prepare a war party!”

Jarl Nibelung: “Good. Brother Hemli will go with you; he will ensure the city is safe. Meanwhile, the other Guild leaders have already begun preparations of their own. The armies of Historica move to its ancient places, and prepare for the coming storm. Let’s pray to the gods that we are ready when it comes.”

-----------

In the High King’s summer palace, the royal steward is frustrated. After calling on the servants several times, not a single response has come from his majesty’s kitchens.

Steward: “Unbelievable! What kind of servants are you!? If the King was here he’d have you booted from the high tower from taking so long to answer! I said what kind of…”

7857386214_79a2a0d851_c.jpg

As the Steward raises his voice in annoyance, he suddenly falls silent. Instead of the neatly dressed royal staff he commands, a raggedy group of repulsive creatures storm into the chamber. The steward is taken aback by their ghastly appearance, and he stumbles backwards as they approach him.

Steward: “What in the name of his majesty’s sacred honor is going on here?! Who are you?!”

Victor: “I am the next High King of Historica. Your Kingdom will tremble before my might. Now where is the High King?”

Steward: “Usurper! Traitor! Curse you and your abominable minions! This chamber is sacred! GUARDS!!!”

7857385352_2fb5d4e0fd_c.jpg

Rellik: “Your guards are dead pathetic human. All that’s left on this floor is you. Now answer my lord’s question, or you shall join them.”

Steward: “Merci! Merci! I will tell all! The King is at the theater! He loves the plays! He’ll be back soon; must be no more than an hour until his return! Please don’t kill me!”

Victor: “How comical that your High King enjoys the finer things whilst his Kingdom burns. Which way does he come back into the palace? Speak!”

Steward: “He’ll come from the Eastern corridor! He’ll be escorted by two guards, no more! I swear it!”

Victor: “Excellent! I like this servant. He knows what’s good for him. Let’s keep him around. Rellik, prepare a little surprise for his majesty. Make sure he is taken alive and brought to me.”

Rellik: “Yes my lord.” (He bows and leaves)

Victor sits on the throne.

7857384218_693e9b02ab_c.jpg

Victor: "The reign of the High King is coming to an end and my glorious reign is beginning. Soon, Victor the Black Wizard will rule all of Historica, and all will bow down before him."

------

Soon to follow:

Challenge V

and way to go SOT breaking up our exiting University discussion with another one of your preludes...

Great news! Glad to hear it.

--

Petraea University Challenge!

Okay ...

So Hogwarts style... BOTH external and internal buildings... Wide range of subjects... Maybe throw in some titles. A few more mummy battle packs prizes for some builders...

Shall we make it an international University and invite some other guild members to build? or Just Kaliphlin?

Shall we make it an international University and invite some other guild members to build? or Just Kaliphlin?

do other guild members have a say?default_blink.gif

do other guild members have a say?default_blink.gif

I remember that Albion is only for Avalonian residents and other Guildmembers have to sleep outside their walls.... :laugh:

But Kaliphlin is much more open minded then Avalonia.

But then again, it's maybe not really fair for those of Kaliphlin if outsiders have taken the subjects they wanted to do something with...

But then again, it's maybe not really fair for those of Kaliphlin if outsiders have taken the subjects they wanted to do something with...

I vote that we should keep this for just Kaliphlin, at least in the beginning. I was thinking the same thing DaMaximus was, I think as a Guild we should get first dibs, and then maybe invite international guests down the road once we get established.

I'd say open to anyone. If DG or DC or LG or Eccles wants to add to our university, I'm not going to say no. Heck, we'll even name the building after them.

That said, I'd say that we encourage people outside the guild not to participate unless they're going to do a real quality job. And it's got to be somewhat Kaliphlin style.

Plus we want 33% of the free build points they get for doing it! (Is that asking too much? We are letting them use our land...)

In related news, I just bought two PoC Captain's Cabins on sale at Walmart today. Those map, globe, compass, and bottle pieces are perfect for a university room! Only problem is, I bought them as presents for my son, so I can't open them right away... Maybe I'll just have to think up a reason to give one of them to him this week. "Congratulations, kid! You flushed the toilet! Here, have a present to celebrate. How about this nice LEGO set? No you can't build it now, I've got to borrow it for a bit..."

"Congratulations, kid! You flushed the toilet! Here, have a present to celebrate. How about this nice LEGO set? No you can't build it now, I've got to borrow it for a bit..."

yeah that'll work default_laugh_new.gif

Petraea University Challenge!

Yay! I'm kinda divided on whether or we should allow other guilds to participate in this right from the get-go, it would be nice to see it being established by Kaliphlinites. I reckon once we get it going though, having outside guilds add to our uni would be pretty cool! :thumbup:

Perhaps we should put our hands up for what we want to build, just to see if there is enough interest to sustain the challenge for now without outside guild involvement? I'll commit to building a general forum/lecture theatre. :classic:

Yay! I'm kinda divided on whether or we should allow other guilds to participate in this right from the get-go, it would be nice to see it being established by Kaliphlinites. I reckon once we get it going though, having outside guilds add to our uni would be pretty cool! :thumbup:

Perhaps we should put our hands up for what we want to build, just to see if there is enough interest to sustain the challenge for now without outside guild involvement? I'll commit to building a general forum/lecture theatre. :classic:

I think we should let other guild members participate (and maybe require 33% of thier points? :laugh: ), but we could let all Kaliphlin have first pick as far as what subjects we want to do. Since this is a university, it would be great to have a few builders from different Guilds - we need some diversity, although it should all be in Kaliphlin style. I'd like to build a library (books are easy. . . :tongue: ), or maybe a dormitory?

I'll commit to starting with the medical sciences room. I also have some ideas for the geography, law, alchemy and some courtyards/common rooms, but I'm going concentrate on the medical first and see what is left after I am finished with that.

:thumbup:

I would be very happy to see other guilds contribute, with no points deduction (how would I feel if my builds were marked down for my nationality...), but I think we should take Kaliphlin requests first. I won't be able to contribute for a while (Korea and Japan next week, conference the week after :sceptic: ) but I would like first dibs on:

Kitchen Garden

Laboratory of the Mysteries of Life (I will bin this if your Medical Sciences overlaps, Erynlasgalen)/ or Laboratory Assistant's store room

Courtyard of the Master Namer / or Enchanted Grove - thanks Mrs le Guin :wink:

Porters' Lodge (but not a full gatehouse, I leave that open to others

One of the Senior Common Rooms

Faculty of applied opticks - Glass blowing and grinding

I'm not promising to build them all, but I will give some a go

....not that I think any Avalonians were secretly clamouring to build a store room :tongue:

I think this is a really good chance to add some sensible buildings on campus like a smithy, cooperage, alehouse, clothier, tannery, for those of us who want to emulate the success of Albion, so if you're from Kaliphlin and you want to reserve one of these, something like it, or something more academic, or a support facility, put your hand up!

:classic:

I think you should restrain this to Kaliphlin only. It would simply be too annoying if or own community build wouldn't take off just because people think that doing a university is cooler than doing a wall. Just my two cents ...