Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

The direction of the shot for the forced perspective will actually come from the side that has the rocks and the crane. The microscale will be looking along the coastline and slightly out to see. I have the connection set up for that, just haven't added that piece in.

It's hard to tell from my phone's weak camera, but there are docks along the coast that are torn up and destroyed, and there will still be a giant wave/explosion shooting pieces into the air there.

The direction of the shot for the forced perspective will actually come from the side that has the rocks and the crane. The microscale will be looking along the coastline and slightly out to see. I have the connection set up for that, just haven't added that piece in.

It's hard to tell from my phone's weak camera, but there are docks along the coast that are torn up and destroyed, and there will still be a giant wave/explosion shooting pieces into the air there.

That sounds really cool - i look forward to your next update! :thumbup:

I have finally made a start on challenge 4 - starting out as many have by building an elemental. This is my first go at a rock/earth elemental - i thought that the Shelob face would look more menancing, but possibly it just makes it look a bit cutesy? :laugh: Idk, what do you guys reckon?

elementalwip2eb.jpg

that elemental is menacing alright! the face works although I agree that it doesn't add any scariness to it.

That sounds really cool - i look forward to your next update! :thumbup:

I have finally made a start on challenge 4 - starting out as many have by building an elemental. This is my first go at a rock/earth elemental - i thought that the Shelob face would look more menancing, but possibly it just makes it look a bit cutesy? :laugh: Idk, what do you guys reckon?

Nice work gabe :thumbup: Looks intimidating, the Shelob face works pretty well but the one eye missing/stabbed out looks a little strange.

Actually, I think Shelob's face works better than expected. Plus the articulation of the creature adds a lot in my opinon. Not sure what the scene witll look like, but with the different colors on the elemental it might look cool to have some small foliage on the brown arms. Almost, like he literally just rose out of the ground.

I think that elemental looks terrific. The head could use a little more definition, but the body is great. Also, I agree that a little foliage on its back and arms may make it look as if it "came from below" If it was big enough you could even achieve this by putting some structural elements on its back... like a wishing well!!! lol

--------

On another note, I haven't been able to start building anything and fear that I may miss this competition again. Our house is all packed up again, because this landlord sold the house from under us again! I just had that happen in April!!! So this time, we are trying hard to buy a house so we never have this problem again. But that means that my Lego purchases are going to be way down for the forseeable future as we put together the down payment...

I am still going to try and get a small scene built for the competition - the rules didn't say the whole MOC couldn't be in microscale did it? I have this vision of a sprawling oasis being crushed by a 150 foot elemental...

Cool elemental gabe. For whatever reason, it reminds me of an armadillo! I like the shape/proportions on it. Spot on.

I like it Gabe! He looks like a boulder that just stood up, though I'm not sure about the earth orange wing on his back from this angle. He doesn't look cutsey to me.

Thanks gabe, you just made me realize I have the perfect face for a water elemental, this.

I also have a few ideas for fire and air elementals, but have dismissed the use of the head from the Crystal King as too easy and unoriginal. I am hoping to make this work in one of my elementals, as a nod to Hellboy II.

Gotta say Gabe, I LOVE your elemental, but I'm not too keen on the face. Since the rest of the figure has more curves and definition, the printed face gets lost, and doesn't really fit, vs when it is used on the smooth, low detail Shelob body. Just my two cents, but it will look awesome either way!

Kayne, that lighthouse is a beaut, and you've done a great job with your elemental. Is your build within the size limits? It probably is, it just looks big. Can't wait to see it finished!

that elemental is menacing alright! the face works although I agree that it doesn't add any scariness to it.

Nice work gabe :thumbup: Looks intimidating, the Shelob face works pretty well but the one eye missing/stabbed out looks a little strange.

Thanks fellas. Yeah, i agree, the head looks a little odd and doesn't really add anything to the model, so it's back to the drawing board i guess. I'll see what else i can come up with. :classic:

Actually, I think Shelob's face works better than expected. Plus the articulation of the creature adds a lot in my opinon. Not sure what the scene witll look like, but with the different colors on the elemental it might look cool to have some small foliage on the brown arms. Almost, like he literally just rose out of the ground.

"Better than expected", heh! :laugh: Thanks Kayne. :wink: The idea of the foliage is a neat idea, but the terrain i'm imagining the elemental in doesn't have much in the way of vegetation, so it might not work so well.

I think that elemental looks terrific. The head could use a little more definition, but the body is great. Also, I agree that a little foliage on its back and arms may make it look as if it "came from below" If it was big enough you could even achieve this by putting some structural elements on its back... like a wishing well!!! lol

--------

On another note, I haven't been able to start building anything and fear that I may miss this competition again. Our house is all packed up again, because this landlord sold the house from under us again! I just had that happen in April!!! So this time, we are trying hard to buy a house so we never have this problem again. But that means that my Lego purchases are going to be way down for the forseeable future as we put together the down payment...

I am still going to try and get a small scene built for the competition - the rules didn't say the whole MOC couldn't be in microscale did it? I have this vision of a sprawling oasis being crushed by a 150 foot elemental...

Ah dude, that sucks about your house! :oh3::sad: I can sympathise, i am renting too and it seems like the landlord here does nothing but jack up the rent every six months or so. :angry: I do hope you find a permenant solution soon!

Btw, i reckon an all-microscale entry would be great - i think all you need is an element of FP to fit the rules. :thumbup:

Also, i like the way you think about the well, that's a great idea! :thumbup:

Cool elemental gabe. For whatever reason, it reminds me of an armadillo! I like the shape/proportions on it. Spot on.

Thanks ZCerb. It actually does look a little like an armadillo from the back, as it has a sort of "rock plating" down it's spine and even a little tail. Nicely spotted! :classic:

I like it Gabe! He looks like a boulder that just stood up, though I'm not sure about the earth orange wing on his back from this angle. He doesn't look cutsey to me.

Cheers Cara! :classic: The large earth orange wedge peices actually for the creatures olecranon process, or bone behind the elbow joint (although it's attached to the creature's upper arm, rather than the forarm as it is in humans) I was going for a mix of earthy colours, but perhaps dark bley would work better... hmm.

Thanks gabe, you just made me realize I have the perfect face for a water elemental, this.

I also have a few ideas for fire and air elementals, but have dismissed the use of the head from the Crystal King as too easy and unoriginal. I am hoping to make this work in one of my elementals, as a nod to Hellboy II.

Heh, that's a neat part for the water elemental face! I look forward to seeing your elementals. :thumbup::classic:

Gotta say Gabe, I LOVE your elemental, but I'm not too keen on the face. Since the rest of the figure has more curves and definition, the printed face gets lost, and doesn't really fit, vs when it is used on the smooth, low detail Shelob body. Just my two cents, but it will look awesome either way!

Kayne, that lighthouse is a beaut, and you've done a great job with your elemental. Is your build within the size limits? It probably is, it just looks big. Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks for your feedback rogueang. :classic: I reckon i'll be going back and revisiting the head, although one thing i want to keep is the rough head/body proportions - i kind of see the elementals as being more brawn than brain, not to mention a larger head would tip the model too far forward! :wink:

Yeah, it fits into the requirements....barely! I made it in a shape that is not quite square. It is 48 studs wide and 48 studs deep at its x and y axis, but it rounds on the edges saving me a few studs. I plan to use those gained studs to incorporate the microscale on the horizon. I may have overthought the process, but I was doing some math to make sure that I fit within the constraints of the challenge.

The lighthouse is obviously inspired by DC, and there will be some other points of inpiration from some of the other great builders around here as well. It's amazing what one learns in just a few short months here. That is what makes GoH so amazing to me, the ability to force us out of our comfort zones, while at the same time presenting us with great inspiration and lessons in building.

Here is my progress on what I'm hoping to turn into an entry for challenge 4:

SAM_0048.jpg

I decided to work on the water elemental and microscale background last. The ship is modular and floors lift out to access the interior.

@Mikel Kalores: Impressive ship! The fact that it's modular makes it all the better, looking forward to seeing more pics :classic:

Erudhalion Wow ! Another great build! the little rock work adds so much to the contrast of the tan brick. I'm extremely impressed at how detailed and interesting you were able to make an entirely uniformly coloured wall! Very nice. And the little accent colours are just perfect.

And your rock monster is superb!

Saladus that is looking great! The water effects is really neat! Can't wait to see what your elemental looks like :D

But as Gabe mentioned keep in mind some of the criteria... but it sounds like you're on the right track :thumbup:

Dugal Are you serious? you have to move again? That sucks...

and we could have used an extra build or two... :sad:

gedren_y that's a great face!

Mikel That ship looks great! It never occurred to me to do a ship scene... it should be fantastic!

Now that is thinking outside the box! A ship will definitely fit in the 48x48, and the originality of it compared to other entries should earn you a top spot! Not to mention the fact that your builds are superb to begin with

I see, there will be some great enteries this time also ;)

@Mikel Kalores, damn, I had a similar idea, although, on a smaller scale.

Anyway... Here's a teaser:

7629957384_39b3226574.jpg

Its nowhere near finished. I have so much building to do yet.

Also, the people of Mountain Town say hi!

7629938910_fb18286e6e.jpg

Hello fellow guildmembers!

I'm still on vacation, enjoying some R&R up in the lake country of the northern Rakath Mtns, but found a way to check in briefly here. I won't have time to read all the individual threads in the forum, but at least had a chance to catch up on the guild thread. Looks like there are some interesting new challenge entries brewing up. Can't wait to see them all when I get back in the second week of August.

DaMaximus, thanks for updating the map; I'll make the additions to the master when I get back, so the colors and fonts match up, and repost. We're way overdue for an update to the maps anyway. And just a note to any potential new members out there -- there are plenty of great spots for your characters to inhabit (or for existing members to build in), such as Ras-al-Akhen, QueensCross, and various unnamed cities (in the Loop of the Qar-Akhen river, along the south coast east of Barqa, and where the Cedrica-Qarkyr road crosses the Lick of Salt). See the detailed maps on the wiki.

And a hearty welcome to our new members! I look forward to meeting you all later, and will read up on your back-stories.

-- Gex

So, as I am finishing up challenge 4 and thinking ahead to some other builds that I want to attempt. In one of those I wanted to have some cameo appearances by some of the other characters in Kaliphlin. So, I did a little research on our members, and at one point we had 42 members listed in Kaliphlin)that doesn't even include some of our new additions like Axis!). Of those and including the newer members that are active, we currently have 16 that have posted or been active in GoH within the last couple of months(and that includes SI-Mocs). I haven't counted through the other guilds yet, but that seems way low to me for our numbers. But, despite the now low number of core members in Kaliphlin, we closed the gap after Challenge 3 in an attempt to take the lead.

I guess, that entire paragraph was just a bunch of useless facts, but I wanted to say nice job to my guildmates for the concerted effort you have all put forth in bringing out qulatiy builds and taking part in the challenges when you can. We may be one of the smaller guilds in terms of number now, but a powerhouse in talent! Proud to be Kaliphlin!

****EDIT***** So I went through the other guilds as well, and from June 1 until now, it looks like these are the number of active folks in each guild:

Avalonia: 27

Kaliphlin: 16

Mitgardia: 14

Nocturnus: 8

Edited by Kayne

@Kayne: I find this rather sad, but those who have stayed active right from the beginning deserves some acknowledgement :thumbup:

People like: Captain Beerbeard, Captain Blackmoor, de Gothia, Doornroosje, Jason Cicchini, Legonardo Davidy, MikeyB, Matn, Niku, Rolli, Rogueang, and ZCerberus for Avalonia.

Basiliscus, Christoph, CptMugwash, Erynlasgalen, Gabe, NiceMarmot, and SkaForHire for Kaliphlin.

Darkdragon, Ecclesiastes, and kabel for Mitgardia

Angeli, Hersbrucker, Lisqr, and Tazmaniac for Nocturnus.

All of them entered the first challenge and have stayed active (my apologies if I left someone off the list) :excited:

I made a build for the first challenge but didn't really understand how things worked and therefore didn't start a thread for it, following the first challenge I was rather inactive till the second challenge after which I have been building for GoH quite steadily :classic:

Quite a few others started at the second challenge or soon after and are still active :thumbup:

Also interestingly enough the number of active members in each Guild corresponds to that Guild's score perfectly, Avalonia has the most followed by Kaliphlin then Mitgardia and Nocturnus.

Edited by soccerkid6

Drow were thinking they could pay few of the guys from other guilds to settle in Nocturnus, but we all know that we would finish hunting them at the end, and we do not want to spend money like that - we should start hunting them immediately :)

By the way, guilds of historica made me a lot of new friends with same interest in medieval fantasy and lego, and some of those guys helped me got my hands on a lot of bricks ;) Also, involving in here made me build more then I usually would. And I also like to compete, even do I haven't won anything (yet, hehe:) I so much enjoy the competition and challenges. I loved the competition in arena, even though it was totally random:)

So, I hope it will continue ;)

Drow were thinking they could pay few of the guys from other guilds to settle in Nocturnus, but we all know that we would finish hunting them at the end, and we do not want to spend money like that - we should start hunting them immediately :)

By the way, guilds of historica made me a lot of new friends with same interest in medieval fantasy and lego, and some of those guys helped me got my hands on a lot of bricks ;) Also, involving in here made me build more then I usually would. And I also like to compete, even do I haven't won anything (yet, hehe:) I so much enjoy the competition and challenges. I loved the competition in arena, even though it was totally random:)

So, I hope it will continue ;)

I agree, I became a much more active member of the community (although I was pretty active up until 2007 in the pirates forum. This is a great event, and I hope it continues with new stories and ideas after the official end.

About the counts - I think June 1st might be a little late to count active members, I believe that the winter months in the Northern hemisphere are the busiest on Eurobricks, and more people seem to have more time to build. But, we will all see who will show back up later on.

Anyway, even if there were only ten other people, I would still be having fun.

Lastly, SI, I plan on getting something in to get us points... even if it is not my best work. I was going to do an ocean scene (like many of you all seem to be doing!) But I don't think I will be able to get enough blue. Anyway, I will figure something out.

Angeli, Hersbrucker, Lisqr, and Tazmaniac for Nocturnus.

All of them entered the first challenge and have stayed active (my apologies if I left someone off the list) :excited:

Does this count as active :tongue: : http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72039

I won't be entering the fourth challenge as I am building for non Eurobricks events, but will have more Guild stuff coming in a couple of months.

Dr Rod

A sad matter that so few are active, but GoH is still by far the best thing on EB IMO. those who are still active produce brilliant MOCs and the community of us who are still here support each-other loads. I do hope it continues on even after the final challenge (#6) with our mini-challenges and maybe even more main challenges.

~Dangerous