Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

DaMaximus, those shields are fantastic. Mitgardian style and Kaliphlin colours, brilliant.

CptMugwash, much as I value originality, I am not quite so sure it is a massive factor for the judges on what I have seen (no disrespect intended, m` Lord Flagg!), rather competence and detail seem to be more highly rated, both of which looked very good at the WIP stage for your embassy (and I really liked the big gold blades for originality). The WIPs you posted were pretty impressive and I noted at the time that the initial roofline could be highly impressive if you follow it through in a Mitgardian style. We are only scored on the best builds of what is posted, not on any average, so there is zero downside in posting, except your time. In other words, please build and submit your embassy. For the glory of Kaliphlin!

Lord Flagg, thou and thy monkey bard art utterly bonkers. I love it!

Captain Hardiel, we thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. Frankly, energy and silica are free at the manufactory and rent is favourable, so labour costs per se are not a big issue for the PGTC. There appears to be some rather involved internecine squabble as to who gets to use the big mirrors to fry and melt interlopers and enemies, which has developed into a question of honour amongst the mummy tribes. The relicts and remnants and body parts that we would be glad to dispose of in Petraea, are of high value to the Mountain mummies. Well, boys will be boys. We very much appreciate your raising of this issue, we may ask you to arbitrate if the solution proves intractable for us. In the meantime we are asking the southern ninja clans to take on the operating contact of the leg of Legomandias. It is a post where usually there are no valuable targets, but when they come they are gargantuan. This suits the ninja nature. Your build is excellent, love the scrolls!

Xander and crew, welcome to these shores! Your ship is a worthy vessel, and we have several commissions we would ask you to undertake under a veil of secrecy. Great minifigs!

:classic:

Unfortunately I too am suffering from builder's block, I keep changing my mind about the embassy and am struggling for something original, the deadline is creeping closer and closer now. What should I do, should I just churn out something that looks alright or give it a miss? I think adding to the point count should be worth building something though, what do you guys think?

I would say go for it. You never know what you'll come up with. And a fairly standard design could still do well if well-built and backed up with a good story. Like Rasputin says, the details seem to help also. I think your stuff is generally very high quality, so even if you don't have a really innovative idea, it will probably still be very good, and worthwhile. Even a fairly basic overall design can lead to some interesting detailed work. My embassy has a fairly ordinary overall design, and I wouldn't say I'm using any really innovative techniques. The interesting parts are all in the details, and how the whole thing comes together. And it's huge, which is a structural engineering and brick supply challenge.

I would say go for it. You never know what you'll come up with. And a fairly standard design could still do well if well-built and backed up with a good story. Like Rasputin says, the details seem to help also. I think your stuff is generally very high quality, so even if you don't have a really innovative idea, it will probably still be very good, and worthwhile. Even a fairly basic overall design can lead to some interesting detailed work. My embassy has a fairly ordinary overall design, and I wouldn't say I'm using any really innovative techniques. The interesting parts are all in the details, and how the whole thing comes together. And it's huge, which is a structural engineering and brick supply challenge.

And seriously, we need to get enough entries that we don't have to use the mess-terpiece I am attempting. It is awful. Haha. So please everyone post an embassy!

And seriously, we need to get enough entries that we don't have to use the mess-terpiece I am attempting. It is awful. Haha. So please everyone post an embassy!

I've finally finished the structure for my embassy. Now on to the greebling and the interior. I might actually get this thing done in time!

Unfortunately I too am suffering from builder's block, I keep changing my mind about the embassy and am struggling for something original, the deadline is creeping closer and closer now. What should I do, should I just churn out something that looks alright or give it a miss? I think adding to the point count should be worth building something though, what do you guys think?

Absoloutly, i reckon go for it! What you might call "churned out" might look inspired to someone else - and sometimes working through a creative block can yield the best results. :thumbup: Or at least i hope so, cause that's what i'm doing! :laugh:

Well, for all with builders block, just start building. Do not plan anything, just lay grounds to the building, add some water, and start rising walls, and add as you build. You would be surprised what you can achieve like this - every moc that I've made was built like this, with no planning whatsoever. Also, go and join the gladiator games, there are only 6 places left, and I see that many of you do not have their heroes enlisted - and there is no time usage on this one, 5 min to make a gladiator minifig, and another five to make a picture and to post it ;)

Thanks for the comments it's the boost I need, I'm going to be building all night tonight, I'm going to rebuild it again similar to my first idea, the lodge. Thanks again.

DaMaximus Nice Embassy, I really like that big arch, need to keep my eye out for those.

Edited by CptMugwash

Agreed. Sometimes the best way to get out of builders block is just to go build! One of my favourite MOCs I've built was a completely unplanned "oh let's start building rocks stairs" "Oh let's add a temple" "ohh let's add some water" etc etc and over a matter of two nights had a very cool MOC.

When in doubt. Build!

Well, for all with builders block, just start building. Do not plan anything, just lay grounds to the building, add some water, and start rising walls, and add as you build. You would be surprised what you can achieve like this - every moc that I've made was built like this, with no planning whatsoever.

I agree, this is definitely the way to get ideas flowing. I usually have no shortage of ideas, it's just that I can never get the bricks to do what I need for said ideas. Half of my MOCs usually come from looking through my collection, and considering every piece for one usage - i.e. the landscaping on my Embassy. I knew exactly what I wanted with the water, but I had no clue what to put for foliage until I started looking through my pieces.

There's been some excellent embassy entries so far, keep it up loyal Guildsmen! As I mentioned previously, I won't be entering the embassy challenge, but here is a free-build (click the picture for a link to the Eurobricks thread):

6863363713_467c54cc46.jpg

Now I am off to build a Sudite temple, hopefully finish it soon!

Edited by Basiliscus

There's been some excellent embassy entries so far, keep it up loyal Guildsmen! As I mentioned previously, I won't be entering the embassy challenge, but here is a free-build (click the picture for a link to the Eurobricks thread):

6863363713_467c54cc46.jpg

Now I am off to build a Sudite temple, hopefully finish it soon!

:wacko:*huh**oh2* Wow. Spectacular. We are going to miss your embassy attempt for sure, but thank you for this gorgeous scene.

Basiliscus-That is a beautiful stained glass window, and the cobbled floor looks great!

Scubacarrot-Looks good....are the skulls and orc-head from some Nocturnians that didn't follow the Kaliphlin law inside the embassy :wink:

Scubacarrot-Looks good....are the skulls and orc-head from some Nocturnians that didn't follow the Kaliphlin law inside the embassy :wink:

Thanks, and: Yes, they were some raiders that thought the embassy was an easy target, they are sorry now :classic:.

Wahil That is simply incredible. WOW! I am a loss for words.

Lord Shale lovely entry, I love the brick work - though maybe use slightly few colour iterations? Though the wood framing around the building is nice.

One suggestion I would make is maybe change up the base a bit? You can see the plates you used on the bottom there :laugh:

But over all very nicely done! Especially for your first MOC! I they get easier and better with time.

Lord Shale lovely entry, I love the brick work - though maybe use slightly few colour iterations? Though the wood framing around the building is nice.

One suggestion I would make is maybe change up the base a bit? You can see the plates you used on the bottom there :laugh:

But over all very nicely done! Especially for your first MOC! I they get easier and better with time.

Thank you, the bottom plates were done so because I didn't think it would matter, but yeah, its something I will do differently on my next MOC, And I will definitely use fewer colours next time :blush:.

Good news everyone, the Kaliphlin embassy in the Mitgardian village Konugard is nearing completion, some final touches left and then it's done, I've already comissioned an artist to capture it's likeness, the images will get to you by tomorrow evening.

Basil Your moc is awesome.

Scuba For your first real moc that is really cool, I didn't even notice the plates at the bottom.

I just found out about this "project" from classiccastle.com and signed up today. I have an awesome (in my humble :) opinion) watchtower I built that I was going to submit to the classiccastle.com contest but never got around to taking acceptable pictures of it (I am as of yet not set up with a light tent, etc) but I can put more effort in this time around if there is a need. From what I've been reading, it seems as if that round is over???

Presently I am working on a minifig scale castle and due to my disorganized building methods and work on a Sci-fi themed MOC it has not progressed too much in the last 3 months.

I just found out about this "project" from classiccastle.com and signed up today. I have an awesome (in my humble :) opinion) watchtower I built that I was going to submit to the classiccastle.com contest but never got around to taking acceptable pictures of it (I am as of yet not set up with a light tent, etc) but I can put more effort in this time around if there is a need. From what I've been reading, it seems as if that round is over???

Presently I am working on a minifig scale castle and due to my disorganized building methods and work on a Sci-fi themed MOC it has not progressed too much in the last 3 months.

Yes, the watchtower round is over. The embassy round is currently on, so hurry and build an embassy on a 48x48 baseplate and post it by the 15th! Actually, you can still post your watchtower as a freebuild even now. We would love to have some more free builds here in Kaliphlin. And though the embassy challenge ends in about 36 hours, there will be another announced very soon I imagine.

Welcome to the guild!

Wahil, lovely build. I especially like the floor. :tongue: Amazing window too, good job claiming the lion symbol for Kaliphlin.

Mikel, welcome to Kaliphlin! We have had an influx from cc recently but not so many to Kaliphlin, which is the best guild for buildin freedom. Please invite more of your friends here!

Some great embassies posted recently, I have been frantically building so not commented yet, but Fonzy's buildings in particular were both fantastic. Lord Shale, your use of colour is quite extravagant, a super build! I have also commissioned an artist to depict the Valentine's Ball in Abyssan, which will feature Duke Strange as cupid. It took far too much time and effort, I will never build anything on this scale again! But, I am pretty happy with it, even if it is only 99.5% complete. Pictures tonight I hope.

Happy Valentine's Day all

:wub:

Thanks for the welcome!

Note: As this is now character introduction post, I will continually update this with my characters and their background info.

Mikel Kalores, the son of a wealthy nobleman of Avalonia, was forced to flee his home when his father was assasinated by rival noblemen. It is now known that the rival noblemen were allies of Lord Baine. Having found a haven on the outskirts of the Mystic Isles, in an abbey headed by Bishop Jamon and being taken under the tutelage of another resident of the abbey, a man called Leon, he became a skilled weapon master and tactician.

After two years of residence at the abbey, Bishop Jamon, under the recomendation of Leon, proposed that Mikel lead a group of the abbey's residents to settle in the open land of Kaliphlin. Mikel accepted the proposal after some thought and arrived in the Siccus Badlands a few weeks later.

After a short stay in Eastgate, Mikel travelled further south and after defeating the corrupt Sultan of Barqa, took up residence there and began construction of Lion's Bluff Castle.

Having become interested in all the uncharted land in Kaliphlin, Mikel undertook several expeditions throughout the land. On one of these expeditions he discovered a lost druid temple.

During the rise of Victor Revolword, Mikel temporarily turned over his title as Sultan of Barqa to Leon Kral and disappeared on an expedition in the Rakoth Mountains with Lord DaMaximus and the Alleenridders leaving the managemnet of his estate to his liegeman Gaius Kaleci. After the completion of their mission, the Alleenridders returned but Mikel stayed behind to investigate a lead to some almost forgotten mythical beasts.

In his exploration of the many tunnels below Historica, he came across a fire elemental and as the two fought, the ground below them gave way, both falling into an ancient sacred pool fusing the elemental into Mikel's body. Mikel immediately traveled to a remote fishing village in Kaliphlin and sent Fleh, one of the slaves that Lord DaMaximus had given him, to consult with Yesil the Grelf concerning his condition.

Yesil returned with Fleh and after many months taught Mikel how to control the elemental that had been fused into him. Once he was satisfied that Mikel's training was complete, Yesil returned to his business travels. Mikel however remained in the remote village until Yesil summoned him to the Black Pyramid where an army had gathered to wage war against Victor Revolword.

After the assault on Cedrica, Mikel who now went by the name Masa, once again retreated to an isolated location becoming a goat herder.

Full background story here: http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1210308

For more info about Mikel Kalores visit the Historica wiki here: Historica wiki

Edited by Masa of Kaliphlin
Added link to backstory

Petraea General Trading Co artists have recorded events at the Valentine`s Ball here

Mikel, you will find how to deeplink and other good stuff here

:classic:

Xander and crew, welcome to these shores! Your ship is a worthy vessel, and we have several commissions we would ask you to undertake under a veil of secrecy. Great minifigs!

Secrecy is my middle name (yes, I had odd parents). As long as your packages will fit on the ship we'll pick them up from and take them to any port you need.

My lord and guildsmen the embassy in Konugard Mitgardia has been completed. The labourers have worked hard and have earned a well deserved rest now.

Topic.

6876135365_e901498b5b.jpg

C&C welcome, cheers.