Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

BTW, Prince of Persia 7570 Ostrich Race is on sale from Amazon for $9.99.

:cry_sad:

Can somebody buy 3 of these Sets for me and 3 times 7569,

and send it to Germany :blush:

Amazon.com don't do that :sad:

The same set is 6.98 on Target... but they only allow you to buy three... Or else I would have got ten. My Girlfriend loves the ostriches. I stole them all for my ostrich cavalry...

I am working on an Oasis scene myself. I hope to see some neat small builds out of our guild before the next challenge. Just some "I had a few hours to kill" kind of builds.

Wow, a new guild challenge is up already, that was quick! :thumbup: Looks like an interesting one - I might have to build in Nocturnus this time, I've already got a few ideas.. :devil: I'm glad that we have a good couple of months to get this done, I was worried that I'd have to choose between this challenge and my Brickvention (19-21st Jan) display, but this way there will be plenty of time. :thumbup:

Challenge on!

This size and time limit seems to invite larger and more epic builds - it's not so good for people without a large brick collection, so I hope we can have a lot of free building too.

Technically I guess there can only be 4 embassies, for Valholl in Mitgardia, Albion in Avalonia, Cedrica, and Abyssan in Nocturnus. Are we all meant to do the same 3 buildings? I feel I may have to build a consulate instead. I have ideas for all 3 territories, though I do not yet see them as "enemy" turf as per the brief.

I'm glad there is more time for round 2, better for those of us with families. I have a few free build ideas, one for the welcome feast for the World's End Caravan Co, which could lead to a Mitgardia consulate - I don't have much white though, so it might be better to visit in summer.

So envious of all there great US deals, if anyone has time to pick up $7 Ostriches or $10 Ramses Pyramids for me, I would be hugely grateful!

:classic:

Well that is interesting...

I will probably still do my oasis scene first though.

I am a bit stumped on this one, I probably don't have the right brick combinations to landscape outside of the desert lol. Guess Lego is getting more of my money...

I may have missed it in the earlier developments of the geographical regions, but does the Kaliphlin Guild have enemies? Are all the guilds supposed to be against each other? For the 2nd Challenge, which land would a Kaliphlin embassy be in, or would there be one in all the other lands? Just curious if I need to augment my brick supplies in the other themes.

I may have missed it in the earlier developments of the geographical regions, but does the Kaliphlin Guild have enemies? Are all the guilds supposed to be against each other?

Actually, we're probably the most likeable guild, at the moment. And the King has forbidden warring between the guilds on pain of pain, so it's good news for us.

Well then.

I'm not sure what to say - We started a bit slow but what a finish.

By my count we have 20 towers, second best showing of the four guilds.

The Avalonian powerhouse has 28 towers. but almost twice our numbers.

Over all we are just shy of 80 towers total built. And that's NOT including all the free builds. You my friends - are truely magnificent. I haven't seen this type of building since... well ever. The quality, uniqueness and ability everyone has shown has really been a surprise to me.

All I can do is offer my thanks (and maybe a token prize), and encouragement!

The towers shall be judged and results be available in a few weeks (even guild leaders have holidays!)

The High King Draconian has decreed his next challenge - Embassy (and or consulates :laugh:) in foreign lands!

So go forth and build one! or two! or three! or even four Embassies! ... wait the last one doesn't make sense.

Well then.

I'm not sure what to say - We started a bit slow but what a finish.

By my count we have 20 towers, second best showing of the four guilds.

The Avalonian powerhouse has 28 towers. but almost twice our numbers.

Over all we are just shy of 80 towers total built. And that's NOT including all the free builds. You my friends - are truely magnificent. I haven't seen this type of building since... well ever. The quality, uniqueness and ability everyone has shown has really been a surprise to me.

All I can do is offer my thanks (and maybe a token prize), and encouragement!

The towers shall be judged and results be available in a few weeks (even guild leaders have holidays!)

The High King Draconian has decreed his next challenge - Embassy (and or consulates :laugh:) in foreign lands!

So go forth and build one! or two! or three! or even four Embassies! ... wait the last one doesn't make sense.

And thanks to you all for organizing the Guilds of Historica! Before this I was an occasional EB poster and occasional MOCer. Now I'm checking EB every few hours, and have posted four MOCs since this began, more than I've posted in the year since I joined. It's been a lot of fun, and tremendously motivating. I'm really looking forward to some free time after Christmas to do a few free-builds, start on an embassy or consulate, and also to hit the after-Christmas sales and stock up on sets on clearance. I think the Guilds have been a huge success, probably way more than I would have anticipated. It will probably be a bit of a challenge to maintain the enthusiasm, but I think we can do it.

I may have missed it in the earlier developments of the geographical regions, but does the Kaliphlin Guild have enemies?

Brickmaestro, this is the quote from the Category 2 challenge:

"Category 2: Embassy. Build an embassy in enemy territory. Knock yourself out, it can be a point of trading if so desired, but preferably a fortified structure to allow protection for its homeland residents. Make it interesting how your style of guild dwelling integrates into another lands unique flora and fauna. Will a Nocturnus embassy be polluting a pure environment? Will their be mystical snow fall in the desert? Trees growing where they shouldn't? desert in amonsgt a swamp? See how you go!"

The Petreaea General Trading Company has many friends but it does not have any enemies, only trading partners in foreign lands. We interpret this missive to mean a Kaliphlin embassy in any of the other guild lands.

I build my embassy in the Kaliphlin region, because we are trading with you :thumbup:

Darecold, you and your people are always welcome here in peace. Perhaps you will like it so much you will decide to stay :laugh:

My Lord Flagg, our Embassies in Albion, Abyssan and Valholl are justly famed, but do we not also have an embassy in Cedrica? Perhaps it is only a trading post? It might be an effort of great valour to build there, where the local style is yet undefined.

Two more characters to inhabit Kaliphlin!

IMGP4208.jpg

Gil'eathe, Legendary Blademaster

A legendary Elf warrior that once fought for Kaliphlin, Gil'eathe holds the respect of the Elf-Knights. In an age long since passed, he was feared by his enemies, and revered for his swordsmanship. When he appeared upon a battlefield, his enemies would flee before him. Now, centuries later, Gil'eathe is retired from battles, and spends his day instructing young warriors. Despite his old age, his skills are still unparalleled, and none of his students have beaten him yet.

Dalkor Twinmace, the Dwarven Juggernaut:

Considered mad even by Dwarvish berserker standards, Dalkor is one of the few Dwarves that have managed to slay several trolls by himself. In battle, he uses two maces that are made from Impact-Iron, allowing him to create shockwaves in battle. Luckily, Dalkor’s Dwarvish constitute, strength and his enchanted Runewrought armour let him withstand the aftershocks that the Impact-Iron causes.

I am going to try and see if I can build something for this challenge, havent been active here, but just wanted to say, that the towers you guys have made are really cool!

My embassy will be located in Nocturnus, im thinking.

By your leave, I have set up a flickr group for WIP C&C, I hope it will be of some use. I saw Nocturnus has one now. The idea is really just to have another place for helpful WIP comments for people who use flickr. Might be useful for the next challenge.

The address is

http://www.flickr.com/groups/kaliphlin/

It is my first time to set up a group, so apologies for when I get things wrong in it. Anyone can see photos but only group members will see the comments. My flickr name is robuko, the easiest way to join the group is please add me as a contact and I'll send you the invite.

SI-Mocs, I hope this is ok with you.

:classic:

Edited by robuko

Second challenge is up! I think we should try and at least have one embassy in each of the other 3 guilds! Of the 3, I would prefer not Nocturnus and since 2 people have already suggested they will build there I will go for Avalonia or Mitgardia. I have a general idea of what I am going to build.

robuko - the Flickr group is a great idea! I for one endorse this move.

A couple of people who missed the watchtower challenge have said they will enter this challenge. That's good news!

And SI-mocs - I think we had the best showing of all 4 guilds - simply if you take the ratio of towers/members! I thought everyone did a great job and can't wait to see the next entries!

I have set myself the challenge of at least one free-build per month as well as entering every challenge. I hope I can keep this up for the full year! My December free-build should be completed before Xmas (I hope!). I also want to show the Emir's army (damn work getting in the way! :laugh: )!

I don't have a lot of black, red, or orange, so I probably will not do a Nocturnus embassy/consulate. Not sure I have a preference between Avalonia and Mitgardia at this point. For Avalonia, I've got a lot of tree leaves and vegetation, but don't have a lot of those 1x1 grey or brown round plates that Derfel favors. I suppose I'll probably start building first, and then see where it fits when I'm halfway through.

Doesn't really make sense for everyone to build an embassy in the capitals -- we'd end up with duplicates. Should some people build consulates and trade delegations in cities outside the capital? If so, it might help if each guild posted a list of their major cities, along with their characteristics or history or something, so the other guilds can tailor their builds to particular locations. I can look at the map of Mitgardia and pick a city, but I won't know anything about it except for its name. Without knowing anything about the city, it's pretty hard to customize the build much.

So for any members of other guilds who are interested, here are the major cities of Kaliphlin. We can create more if you need them. Better descriptions to follow.

• Petraea (capital) - desert, oasis
  • Barqa - big port
  • Qarkyr - surrounded by mountains
  • Queens Cross - where the Petraea-Cedrica road crosses the Arkbri River; big river port and trading center
  • Stone Town - port
  • Eastgate - port
  • Berigora - port
  • Na Ghitan - port, in the Spice Islands
  • Ras-el-Akhen - port, on a river near the sea, surrounded for the most part by swamps
  • Messahmuk - port on a bay on South Central coast, low mountains around it, wine trading center, not a rich city, but not the worst cesspit either, a bit past its prime and fading, Mediterranean climate so some plants and trees

I'll fill out the description for Messahmuk more, since that's where I've placed Gex. It's not on the main map because there wasn't room, but I'll put it on the relevant detail map.

If others want to fill out the descriptions of the other cities, we can the list into the first post for reference.

I don't have a lot of black, red, or orange, so I probably will not do a Nocturnus embassy/consulate. Not sure I have a preference between Avalonia and Mitgardia at this point. For Avalonia, I've got a lot of tree leaves and vegetation, but don't have a lot of those 1x1 grey or brown round plates that Derfel favors. I suppose I'll probably start building first, and then see where it fits when I'm halfway through.

Doesn't really make sense for everyone to build an embassy in the capitals -- we'd end up with duplicates. Should some people build consulates and trade delegations in cities outside the capital? If so, it might help if each guild posted a list of their major cities, along with their characteristics or history or something, so the other guilds can tailor their builds to particular locations. I can look at the map of Mitgardia and pick a city, but I won't know anything about it except for its name. Without knowing anything about the city, it's pretty hard to customize the build much.

So for any members of other guilds who are interested, here are the major cities of Kaliphlin. We can create more if you need them. Better descriptions to follow.

• Petraea (capital) - desert, oasis
  • Barqa - big port
  • Qarkyr - surrounded by mountains
  • Queens Cross - where the Petraea-Cedrica road crosses the Arkbri River; big river port and trading center
  • Stone Town - port
  • Eastgate - port
  • Berigora - port
  • Na Ghitan - port, in the Spice Islands
  • Ras-el-Akhen - port, on a river near the sea, surrounded for the most part by swamps
  • Messahmuk - port on a bay on South Central coast, low mountains around it, wine trading center, not a rich city, but not the worst cesspit either, a bit past its prime and fading, Mediterranean climate so some plants and trees

I'll fill out the description for Messahmuk more, since that's where I've placed Gex. It's not on the main map because there wasn't room, but I'll put it on the relevant detail map.

If others want to fill out the descriptions of the other cities, we can the list into the first post for reference.

Eastgate - a safe harbor for ships traveling east from Avalonia into the coasts of the Badlands. (Also vice versa, but the winds are more favorable west to east.) Also the head of the Red River moving the great timber trade (live oak in large quantities, the finest in the world) and some river trade from upriver. It is a mix of styles, having some classic European architecture, mixed with Mediterranean and Arabian because it is a melting pot of cultures. The queries to the east bring brown and tan rock, while the queries up river bring red rock, with Avalonia so close, rock grey in color is also sold in the city. The city walls are mostly tan / brown in color, but some of the newer structures are the now cheaper Avalonian grey. Not only is Eastgate a port, but it also has some of the best ship building facilities in the known world (due to the large live oak supply that comes through its port) with natural bay that has been artificially expanded around four hundred years ago.

I have a map, I will try to get it posted.

Great idea NiceMarmot! I´m building a embassy that will be located in your great Guild. I realize that most of your cities is located near the coast but are there not any cities/villages in the desert? Execpt for your capital...

Great idea NiceMarmot! I´m building a embassy that will be located in your great Guild. I realize that most of your cities is located near the coast but are there not any cities/villages in the desert? Execpt for your capital...

Welcome de Gothia! Looking forward to your build! There is of course the famed (mythical?) city of Lost Vega, but we ain`t telling where you`ll find it. :classic:

Here is a Preview for my Embassy contribution.

I hope I've placed your guild respectful in scene :devil:

1324577503m_SPLASH.jpg

Next part is the second building, the Embassy of our Werewolves :thumbup:

Petraea is definitely in the middle of the desert at an oasis. I'm guessing that Queens Cross, Qarkyr, Stone Town, and Messahmuk all have pretty dry climates, even though some of them are on a river or ocean. Not sure what Barqa is like; we need someone to lay claim to it. We definitely need another city or two in the desert (besides Lost Vega)... I'll work on positioning them; they'd probably have to be near some water or oasis. Where the Oil Road almost touches the Arkbri River would be a good spot, as shipping from Petraea to Barqa could be transferred to barges at that spot for faster shipment. Also where the road north of Qarkyr crosses the Lick of Salt is another good spot. Then we could also place one or two along the Oil Road at various oases. Now we just need names. Anyone got any favorite desert oasis names?

Here is a Preview for my Embassy contribution.

I hope I've placed your guild respectful in scene :devil:

Next part is the second building, the Embassy of our Werewolves :thumbup:

Wow! That was fast. Looks great. And it definitely fits right in.

Wow! That was fast. Looks great. And it definitely fits right in.

Thanks, at this time i have my free days, over X-Mas I have to work :sceptic:

And I have enough bricks at this color available :laugh:

I'm on a business trip this week, so no access to LEGO, but I have been able to do a little mapmaking.

Here's the first draft of a detail map of South Central Siccus, from the Akhenaten Delta to Stone Town. The map is 213 miles across and 124 miles north-south.

6555498035_0a77b0e7f7_b.jpg

South Central Siccus (Kaliphlin Guild)

I think I might have made some of the fonts a bit too small for Flickr's resizing. Will make them a bit bigger.

I've deliberately left the area around Stone Town blank so that Basiliscus can do whatever he wants there.

If anyone else wants to set up shop anywhere on here, let me know and I'll put stuff on the map for you. The south coast of Gorr is a nice tropical area. The mainland coast in the upper left is unclaimed and has some good harbors.

Gex was the first who was interested in my service, so the Guild of Kaliphlin got my loyalty from now on off!

So let me introduce myself: I am Lord Damaximus, leader of the lands of Ximus, far far away, and I have already travelled the globe and thousand seas.

Doing this, many brave warriors joined my army and due the mix of all those nationalities, we faced many great adventures which we all survived.

Arriving in the lands of Historica, I am offering to the Guild of Kaliphlin my loyalty and trade.

This is my army when we arrived in this beautiful Guild. Once we have settled us, the most powerful warriors I got will go their own way and start their own armies to defend Kaliphlin!

historiaarmy1.jpg

Me on Diplomat, my horse and with banner

historiaarmy2.jpg

Left part of my army

historiaarmy3.jpg

Right part of my army

But after all the travelling, my men are tired so we will first build a city and castle (with warrior guild probably so other Kaliphlinians can learn new exotic tricks)

So if I got the permission of my new Heir Dextrus Flagg, I would like to start a small port somewhere on the coast between Ras-El-Akhen and Berigora.

The surrounding mountains are a great defending advantage for the tradingships.

And I'll call this place: Mpya Stedor, named after one of the most legendary cities in my homeland. (Mpya is Swahili for New)

Lord Damaximus

Edited by DaMaximus