Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

How about either the Wither-Woods or the Dry-Woods for the small foresty-area that the Oil Road goes through?

I really like the Wither Woods name. But which woods is it? I'm not seeing any woods that the Oil Road goes through... Or are you talking about the road from Barqa to the capital of Avalonia?

I really like the Wither Woods name. But which woods is it? I'm not seeing any woods that the Oil Road goes through... Or are you talking about the road from Barqa to the capital of Avalonia?

Yep, that would be the one! :classic:

I really like the idea of an ancient necropolis in the marshes there! In fact, I think Gex has done some treasure-hunting there in the past. But, on this high-level map, I'd rather name the marshes and the river, and leave sites like the necropolis to more detailed maps, unless it is still a major, inhabited city or something. No offense, but there won't be room on this map for all the tombs, ruins, necropoli, watchtowers, temples, pyramids, castles, etc that we're going to build! Plus it will be hard to fit the label in down there with the swamp symbols and delta. I'll try it out, and see if looks too cluttered. But, would you care to name the marshes and/or the river?

First and foremost, thank you for accepting my contribution to our world! :classic: Secondly, I was not asking for a large mark or a big name on the map. Just a symbol of Pyramids in the upper-right section of the delta (in the clear space) will suffice! I just want to establish with certainty that it is the land of the Tomb Kings. If you can fit the name of te city, so much the better. If not - I won't cry about it! :laugh:

Trusted Allies,

Today we reveal one of the most closely guarded secrets of the Ever-Living Tomb Kings. We speak, of course, of The Dreamer.

11%2525202%25253A33%25253A49%252520AM.jpg

11%2525202%25253A37%25253A29%252520AM.jpg

11%2525202%25253A34%25253A49%252520AM.jpg

The Dreamer represents one of the Four Sacred Keys of Immortality. Trapped in an eternal nightmare, the Dreamer's suffering manifests as an ancient, somnambular creature known as Palimpsest. Silently looming behind the never-waking hero, it fiercely defends the one that is the very source of its existence. On its back rests the Great Burden, which represents the heavy price one must pay for immortality, such as it is among the Tomb Kings.

11%2525202%25253A35%25253A44%252520AM.jpg

While the Dreamer and Palimpsest are present on the battlefield, our Tomb Warriors are truly eternal, as many of them will be granted a chance to feint Final Destruction and be reformed anew if they are slain.

And so you have learned one of the great secrets of the Tomb Kings. May you remember it forever and utter it to no one.

~ Jahi Khaldun Ibn Maibe

Edited by Jorgevorg

How do you join the guild?

Well, you make a character that fits the color and look of wherever you want to join (Kaliphlin I assume) and post it in this thread. Then you get building! :sweet:

"I estimate about another day until our outpost is ready sir!"

I'll have a WIP shot here soon... (Once I get off my lazy butt. :tongue: )

Good news! The Jah-Kuh-Eh Watchtower has been completed, just north west of Petraea.

6385493947_48df224aca_z.jpg

It has a small garrison of men, but in these times of mostly-peace, they don't expect much action. Let us hope that these amicable times last.

EB topic / Photoset

It's very original, it doesn't look very realistic but it does look pretty cool! :thumbup:

What's unrealistic about it? I love it!

Kustig , you and your men are welcome and very much appreciated here. We currently do not have much in the way of land based scouts/skirmishers. We have a few grand griffins that provide some aerial recognisances, but it would good to have some eyes on the ground!

Jahi more fantastic beasts to our arsenal! Though I am interested on what manner of ancient towers are hidden within the necropolis...

zakura we await your entrance.

Arwald Sharp good to hear that progress is being made! we eagerly await your updates.

Yakob my friend, a truly great tower you have built. It is definitely not the standard tower we see, it has a ... almost magical feel to it... I wonder what stories have been told about how this tower came to be....

Very cool, Yakob/J4ke. Definitely inspired me to try some builds like that. The tower looks a bit thin in the middle; I suppose no fat knights need apply for sentry duty here! Really like the combination of studs and tiles, giving it a randomly smooth and rough look. It's like it was built smooth, but weather has taken its toll. The last photo in the photoset, from a ground-level perspective, is very cool. Are the sides joined by hinges in other places besides the top? I'm guessing you're using hinges to join a few other places too.

Thanks!

And there's another round of click hinges in the middle-ish, just below the upper windows. There's also a larger version of the brackets/technic axles setup you can see from the top at the base.

My dear guild members, as I am sure you are all busy constructing your watch towers, I though I would offer up a list of ideas for further mocs for developing our lands, similar to our neighbors in the West.

Bubblin' Crude, Black Gold, Kaliphlin Tea:

Black Oil is a main export of Kaliphlin, build an ingenious method of how it is collected, processed, and/or transported.

Farmin' in the Withered Woods:

While Kaliphlin might not possess the blessings of heavily timbered areas or plots of bountiful soil like Avalonia, the space to the west does afford opportunity to the entrepreneurial individual, build a farm or some other means of acquiring sustenance in the far western boarders of our guild.

Off to Market:

The oil road is a treacherous length of path stretching from Barqa to Qarkyr along it travel some of our most valuable assets to the foreign trade centers of the world, build a caravan of some sorts bearing goods to enrich the inhabitants of our industrious guild.

Ye Old Oasis:

Sprinkled throughout the parched lands of the central Siccus Badlands, oases of varying sizes flourish and provide travelers of both good and evil intent a chance to refresh their weary bones, drink of the clean sparkling water, and recover their strength. It's also a good place for a bandit group to lay an ambush, build a refreshing oasis for any individual who might stop by.

Here there be Dragons:

We've seen griffins and oliphants, but one can only wonder at the creatures and beasts that hunt and live among the sand dunes of the Siccus Badlands, build a fearsome beast or some other fantastical beatie that may inhabit the desert sands.

Like I said these are just ideas, should your imagination juices be running low.

My dear guild members, as I am sure you are all busy constructing your watch towers, I though I would offer up a list of ideas for further mocs for developing our lands, similar to our neighbors in the West.

Black Oil is a main export of Kaliphlin, build an ingenious method of how it is collected, processed, and/or transported.

While Kaliphlin might not possess the blessings of heavily timbered areas or plots of bountiful soil like Avalonia, the space to the west does afford opportunity to the entrepreneurial individual, build a farm or some other means of acquiring sustenance in the far western boarders of our guild.

Off to Market:

The oil road is a treacherous length of path stretching from Barqa to Qarkyr along it travel some of our most valuable assets to the foreign trade centers of the world, build a caravan of some sorts bearing goods to enrich the inhabitants of our industrious guild.

Ye Old Oasis:

Sprinkled throughout the parched lands of the central Siccus Badlands, oases of varying sizes flourish and provide travelers of both good and evil intent a chance to refresh their weary bones, drink of the clean sparkling water, and recover their strength. It's also a good place for a bandit group to lay an ambush, build a refreshing oasis for any individual who might stop by.

Here there be Dragons:

We've seen griffins and oliphants, but one can only wonder at the creatures and beasts that hunt and live among the sand dunes of the Siccus Badlands, build a fearsome beast or some other fantastical beatie that may inhabit the desert sands.

Like I said these are just ideas, should your imagination juices be running low.

Maybe a Build a War-Machine challenge? On that note, I've noticed that Avalonia seems to have a few medieval style war machines like ballistae and trebuchets, while Mitgardia seems to be leaning more towards steampunk technology. I recall our guild leader posting an idea about having technology powered by magic crystals; I for one think that it's a great idea!

Maybe a Build a War-Machine challenge? On that note, I've noticed that Avalonia seems to have a few medieval style war machines like ballistae and trebuchets, while Mitgardia seems to be leaning more towards steampunk technology. I recall our guild leader posting an idea about having technology powered by magic crystals; I for one think that it's a great idea!

I think we should be using our oil in our creations. We're already making a killing off Mitgardia when they need to grease their machinery.

I have an idea for a seige engine plus oil. I shall have my smiths tinker with it tomorrow.

Or maybe I'll tinker with my spaceship. >.>

I think we should be using our oil in our creations. We're already making a killing off Mitgardia when they need to grease their machinery.

Yeh, but the extent to how advanced machinery is will probably be restricted...with magically powered siege weapons,there are a lot more possibilities.

Let's try to keep the machinery inline with some of the other guilds... nothing too crazy even though we do have some black oil... remember we haven't invented refining techniques yet - so it's not overly combustive enough to power an engine.

@ Waterbrick - fantastic ideas _ I whole heartedly endorse anyone to make any of these, over I'd still like to keep thing loose and have you guys decide and determine what needs to be built - much like how we're flushing out the map - I find it slightly more organic than being provided a series of challenges... cause trust me - those will come from the High King himself :wink:

Though if you guys want me to start assigning items for particular people that can be arranged... but it may not be an easy task. :devil:

My intention was simply to inspire my lord, as I know that I personally can fall into periods where the mind and imagination runs as dry as the surrounding desert.

My intention was simply to inspire my lord, as I know that I personally can fall into periods where the mind and imagination runs as dry as the surrounding desert.

And if that day ever comes to pass, I shall drench you in ideas to flourish the mind.

Reminder everyone just overb 2 weeks left before the High King expects to see our towers as well as some of our other best works!

So for those that have time, please continue with your construction/refinements as I hear the King will be rewarding each guild with Coin for our efforts. Coin which we shall utilize later...

[For those that can't his month - I expect his royal Highness shall decree something new for us to create ....]

Off to Market:

Ye Old Oasis:

Here there be Dragons:

These are all great ideas! My watchtower, even though it's quite small, is consuming a large amount of time, due to some engineering challenges (but that makes it a good learning experience). I like the idea of some smaller MOCs / vignettes for those of us without the time and/or bricks to do the bigger ones. Here's a few additional ideas:

• Marketplace / Shop - gotta have a place for the caravans to deliver the goods to!
  • Mines - we not only have the Black Oil, we've got plenty of mountains and hills that need to be mined! A small mining vignette.
  • An Arab-looking boat, nothing too big, like a dhow or something, but clearly 'southern'
  • A vignette of Kaliphlin guild members trading goods with members of other guilds. Preferably involving amusing misunderstandings and cultural clashes.
  • Vignettes from Kaliphlin's storied past!
  • Guildhalls! What's the use of a guild if it doesn't have a fabulous guildhall where we can have marvelous feasts?
  • Guildhall fights. What happens when the feast involves too much mead and wine, and someone makes a remark about someone else's sister...
  • Temples. I think ours will be cooler than some of the other guilds. Our southern/desert background just lends itself to more exotic and interesting temples, than say, Avalonia.
  • Sphinxes.
  • Sand dunes. Seriously, we've got lots of them. See who can create the best/coolest/most unusual...

WIP: Watchtower MOC

My watchtower is more of a mountaintop lookout post, high in the Rakath Mountains. Since it's so high up, it doesn't really need defending. Its sentries' job is to spot invasions, light the signal fire, and beat a hasty retreat into the mountains. Left-to-right: signal fire on pillar ready-to-light, hut for sleeping, campfire, lookout post/watchtower. Going for a simple, rustic look. No one's going to build anything fancy on top of a mountain.

6393615943_d2d6903848_b.jpg

Mountaintop Lookout (WIP)

Posting to get some feedback. Not quite done yet; thinking of doing the following:

• Adding minifigures (of course!)
  • Adding more camp stuff - pile of wood for the fire, some food, tools, etc.
  • Maybe working on the hut's roof a bit more. Did I clutter it up too much?
  • Add some reddish-brown and LBG plates to indicate paths a bit -- thinking it has too much dark bluish grey.
  • Put just a few touches of white on the rocks for snow?

What do you all think?

@Nice Marmot - I really like the idea you have of a mountain top post. The inclusion of a beacon fire ready to light is a great touch, and it's good to know you have thought out the practical aspects of a watch tower 'early warning system'. The SNOT walls of the hut are looking good, my only suggestion (and this is just my opinion) would be not to use DBG for the roof - maybe tan/ dark tan/ reddish brown or black might look better?

The Beacons of Gondor!

Yeah, this is nice, but one thing that niggles me is how far the wooden posts stick out at opposite ends, if you see what I mean. Maybe reduce the length from a 1x1 barrel to 1 or 2 1x1 rounds. Also, why is a fish clipped to one of them, lol?