Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Ah Garnett! There you are, nice to finally see a familiar face. I was starting to worried that the task I sent out for you was too much for you! But first, please meet our new brothers and sisters! and sit down and discuss the our plans to raise a new Army.

After scouring toros bins of yore - I think I might have found one of the cheapest solutions to creating a cost effective Army, backwards Lions:

6333170831_6bdf503235.jpg

I also tried a few more flag iterations - not overly happy with the printed flag - alas there are no dark blue ones (though since no other guild has blue flag so we can use regular blue in a pinch!)

I think these (or something similar) look good in the city (guard) - but outside I still like the idea of kinda rag tag army possibly black hat as waterbrick suggested. And I'm going to get a bunch of those POP cause the head dresses I think would be fantastic for us.

And YES! we should have mummies - I wouldn't be surprised if one of our travellers showing up is from their ilk. And Sandy brought up a good point in the other tread that right now we don't have a lot of mages or Mystics. Which every good guild needs! It might be fun to do kinda a ... mystic-steam punk type cross - where things are powered by magic crystals or something - any other thoughts?

And welcome NiceMarmot & Ogre - I'll give you guys the full welcome once you get your sigfig created (and optional backstory)

It might be fun to do kinda a ... mystic-steam punk type cross - where things are powered by magic crystals or something - any other thoughts?

Sounds like you need Peppy in your guild.

About the army:

May be it is good to start by reasoning from our identity and the climate? Here's some thoughts I had:

1. We are rich (oil!): may be this should show in our officer's/soldiers uniforms

2. It's hot out there: probably we should have little or no heavy armor, that should slow us down is would be sweaty :tongue:

3. We are tradesmen: our army may well show different weapons (southern/Prince of Persia & normal knights weapons and may be some more exotic weapons)

4. We have engineers - to drill the oil: This means we are the most technical/mechanical faction.

Translating this to the army:

* I would say it ideally should blend Prince of Persia, Lion knights and Dragon dark pearl armor and weapons. I like the idea of the reversed lion torso! It is light and uses the right colours (@ point2). I think prince of persia sets should be cheap to buy - some people are even selling their copies second hand already especially the desert attack set. (I just bought one for 5 euros)

* I would also include some more exotic weapons and may be the composition of the army should reflect the diversity of a trademan's guild and a more meritocratic selection criteria for the army (versus noble descent) (@point 3)

* I would suggest we have at least long bows and crosbows but perhaps also some more advanced weapons (@point4)

* I'm a bit short on ideas as how to translate point 1 into our army.

Ok so far the theory - I leave it to others to translate this to practice :tongue:

Hopefully it is of any use! :blush:

Don't forget about the dwarfs, someones got to pump all that oil. Nice combo SI-mocs I guess it is the best compromise we can manage for the moment, who'd of thought that the best way to avoid the Crownie or Lion like look, was to mash the two together. :laugh: For those interested in utilizing mummy parts, I've been doing some more experimenting and thus:

img_3110.jpg

Hailing from the eastern Rakath regions of the Kaliphlin Guild, various bands of Mountain Mummies will sojourn near the local villages during the oppressive scorching months. Sporting bandage coverings from head to foot, the mountain mummies utilize their garb to ensure that none of their precious moisture is lost to the blistering, arid surroundings. No one is quite sure which race the mummies belong to, as none have ever been seen without their bandages, however, it is rumored that the mummies came to being when warlocks from the eastern darklands corrupted the burial chambers of the nobility during Quakyr's days as an early settlement. While the mummies pay no allegiance but to their chieftains, whom they revere as deities, they have sometimes been known to band together against invading forces from the Eastern Darklands.

I do wonder when the Sand Queen's troops will arrive as I am anxious to meet them.

Hail, Guildsmen of Kaliphlin!

I am Velethuil, Captain of the Kaliphlin Elf-Knights. I command a legion of noble Elvish warriors that are stationed mainly in Petraea, but occasionally ride out to patrol the other cities, as well as the Oil Road. Although fighting off bandits and the like has been the extent of our battles, I am sure that with our martial prowess and magical skill, we’ll be able to take on any enemies that we face!

You have my sword, and my allegiance.

IMGP4154.jpg

I hope that the lack of red is okay...it doesn't really fit in anywhere with this little guy.

Edited by Axel

not overly happy with the printed flag - alas there are no dark blue ones

There's a really nice black printed flag with a dragon on it (2335px1) that would go well (no pun intended) with our Oil. But unfortunately it's a bit pricey ($1.10 new, $0.50 used). Might be worth having a few for special occasions... Given our oil, sun, and deserts, black and gold/yellow might have made good colors, except that black flags are expensive.

2335px1.gif

I still like the idea of kinda rag tag army

Definitely. Fits very well with my theory of buying whatever's cheap...

Along those lines, one can put together a soldier on BL in roughly our colors for under $2. Torso 973pb680c01 is available for about $0.75. Decent yellow heads are about $0.20. 3844 helmets are about $0.30. Black or grey legs can be had for $0.16-0.25; blue legs are even cheaper. That's about $1.41 each, plus another $0.10-0.20 for a weapon. Some of the PoP torsos are cheap too, like 973pb645c01, 973pb646c01, and 973pb647c01. That last one has good blue arms to go with our colors. Unfortunately they have fleshie arms, which means you'll have to buy fleshie heads, which are a bit more expensive.

973pb680c01.jpg

973pb645c01.jpg

973pb646c01.jpg

973pb647c01.jpg

And YES! we should have mummies

Good, I just bought several PQ magnet sets and 'liberated' the minifigs from them. Will see if I can find some more -- they were on sale at the Lego store. And I just found some on BL for about $1.80 each. I really like the mountain mummies; will have to buy some more mummy heads.

once you get your sigfig created

I suppose I'll have to find our camera... haven't seen it in a while...

Ah Garnett! There you are, nice to finally see a familiar face. I was starting to worried that the task I sent out for you was too much for you! But first, please meet our new brothers and sisters! and sit down and discuss the our plans to raise a new Army.

After scouring toros bins of yore - I think I might have found one of the cheapest solutions to creating a cost effective Army, backwards Lions:

6333170831_6bdf503235.jpg

I also tried a few more flag iterations - not overly happy with the printed flag - alas there are no dark blue ones (though since no other guild has blue flag so we can use regular blue in a pinch!)

I think these (or something similar) look good in the city (guard) - but outside I still like the idea of kinda rag tag army possibly black hat as waterbrick suggested. And I'm going to get a bunch of those POP cause the head dresses I think would be fantastic for us.

And YES! we should have mummies - I wouldn't be surprised if one of our travellers showing up is from their ilk. And Sandy brought up a good point in the other tread that right now we don't have a lot of mages or Mystics. Which every good guild needs! It might be fun to do kinda a ... mystic-steam punk type cross - where things are powered by magic crystals or something - any other thoughts?

And welcome NiceMarmot & Ogre - I'll give you guys the full welcome once you get your sigfig created (and optional backstory)

It's good to be here Flagg. I've been grading my minions this week so times have been tough.

As for the city guard, I don't see the need to turn their torsos backwards. Just because heraldry doesn't belong to a single guild doesn't mean we need to go to great lengths to hide it. The lion shield would make a nice piece of city heraldry. Our guys would stand out by the virtue of having dark blue arms so it's not like they'd be mixed up with any other guild's lion knights. Moreover, other guilds are openly adopting different pieces of heraldry. I kind of like the idea of a rank and file city watch with a specific emblem to identify. Beyond that I think we should have many different groups. Undead mummies in the far south, mercenaries and thieves, personal guards for high-ranking officials. These guys can be a bit more unique. The city watch should be cheap and readily available. Other guilds may use the lion knights but we should do it first.

As far as the Kaliphlin Guild is concerned, the only true lions are Southern Lions :thumbup: !

@ Waterbrick - those Mountain Mummies look superb!

I agree with blueandwhite, we should decide soon on a standard soldier to use soon. So far this is my favourate:

6333676678_8e27cd51bb_m.jpg

Looks great, and very easy to obtain the parts. The only thing I don't like is the printed legs, as to me they seem to clash with the torso print? Maybe plain black hips/ light (or dark?) bley legs would go better?

But I also like the idea of this torso, with the hands swapped out to yellow:

973pb647c01.jpg

Edited by mikey

Unfortunately they have fleshie arms, which means you'll have to buy fleshie heads, which are a bit more expensive.

Or you could switch the arms to Yellow or another color. :wink:

I don't see any reason to stick to one set of armor or clothing for the army. The clothes on their backs work perfectly fine. Sometimes they don't even need it! Just ask Milo or Otis here! They've been shot with arrows dozens of times, but their natural fat protects them like no plate armor could.

I'm thinking scale or chain armor, complete with red or dark blue arms, yellow hands, and for the most part whatever legs and helmet that match.

Meanwhile, do we have an exorcist or something? Bugface over here is looking bloodthirsty. And I don't think he's even in the guild...this is why we need fortresses.

Ah! A new friend!

Good to meet thee Velethuil- Your elven brothers have proven themselves time and time again your bows and your swords are welcome at my table. Come sit and have an Ale with me!

About the army:

May be it is good to start by reasoning from our identity and the climate? Here's some thoughts I had:

1. We are rich (oil!): may be this should show in our officer's/soldiers uniforms

2. It's hot out there: probably we should have little or no heavy armor, that should slow us down is would be sweaty :tongue:

3. We are tradesmen: our army may well show different weapons (southern/Prince of Persia & normal knights weapons and may be some more exotic weapons)

4. We have engineers - to drill the oil: This means we are the most technical/mechanical faction.

Translating this to the army:

* I would say it ideally should blend Prince of Persia, Lion knights and Dragon dark pearl armor and weapons. I like the idea of the reversed lion torso! It is light and uses the right colours (@ point2). I think prince of persia sets should be cheap to buy - some people are even selling their copies second hand already especially the desert attack set. (I just bought one for 5 euros)

* I would also include some more exotic weapons and may be the composition of the army should reflect the diversity of a trademan's guild and a more meritocratic selection criteria for the army (versus noble descent) (@point 3)

* I would suggest we have at least long bows and crosbows but perhaps also some more advanced weapons (@point4)

* I'm a bit short on ideas as how to translate point 1 into our army.

Ok so far the theory - I leave it to others to translate this to practice :tongue:

Hopefully it is of any use! :blush:

Ahhh perfect logic! spoken like a true Kaliphlin!

I like how that works.

I think the key to our army - whatever we choose is that we have dark bleu arms, and try to have a some red. If not don't worry - we're the only blue Guild so it'll be unique for us. And of course the Red and Blue flags.

@ B&W

Good point about us not having to shy away from established factions. We could weave in that the Lions once tried to invade but couldn't take the heat, and left all their armour and such which - being the resourceful people that we are - decided to reuse...

or alternatively the lions were the first inhabitants here but slowly departed ... or something.

Mountain Mommys - I love it. let's go with it.

Great back story too - do you mind if I added up with the main guild intro?

Greetings from Logan Alexander Redlake, The Second!

Logan.jpg

His friends (few that they are) call him "Lars".

His enemies (of which there are many) call him "The Stone Ogre", due to his ferocity in battle and his utter lack of mercy towards his foes.

His family used to live in the west near the border with the northlands, in a small town called Tara's Crossroads. It was a peaceful place, quiet and unassuming.

Until the raiders from the north arrived, bringing death and destruction with them. Their swords and armour were backed by magic-wielders from the east, in some twisted alliance that nobody understood. They hacked and slashed their way across the land, killing, burning and looting, utterly destroying all that they found.

Tara's Crossroads did not escape that fate.

Logan's father, local Lord of the land, received advance warning from his border scouts...not much, but enough for him to be able to summon his elite guard, The Wolf Pack, to protect his wife Elizabeth and newly born son, hustling them away from the town before the raiders struck.

It was good that he did, for none else from Tara's Crossroads survived. The massacre was utter and complete.

Alas, fate was not with Logan and his mother.

As they fled the city ahead of the raiders, a lone raider scout took aim with his bow and buried an arrow between the shoulder blades of Elizabeth. Strong and brave, she rode on as far as she could, finally passing her babe to Captain Renklus, giving him his final orders: "Protect him...at any cost!" She fell to the ground dead, as The Wolf Pack rode on.

They rode into the west, seeking help and protection from their people but, each town that they arrived at had already received news of the raiders and all gates were barred. Each time they begged for help, they were turned away.

So, onward they went.

South they finally rode, into the blasted, sandy wastes of the Siccus Badlands, certain that the raiders would not follow.

For years, they kept on the move, stopping only for a short while in any particular place, before moving on again.

When Logan was five, Captain Renklus decided it was time for them to stop this nomadic existence and they moved to the capital city of Petraea, where they enrolled Logan in one of the local gladiator schools.

In time, he grew to be a great warrior, earning the coveted brand of the red scorpion, sign of the highest level that could be achieved in the combat arts. He decided to take the scorpion as his symbol and has kept it to this day.

As he grew in strength and skill, he also grew in knowledge and learning, being taught by Renklus that knowledge was the truest form of power. He used his learning to seek out information on the raiders who killed his family and to find those that might be willing to aid him when he finally unleashed his rage.

Unfortunately, revenge is a costly business, so Logan and The Wolf Pack hired themselves out as caravan guards, debt collectors and even assassins, living a meager existence, pooling all of their remaining coin together so that they might one day have enough funds to hire the mercenaries required to exact their revenge.

As time passed, most The Wolf Pack died off, killed in one manner, or another, until only Logan and Renklus remained.

But, diminished numbers does not mean diminished resolve.

If anything, the fire of their fury burns now hotter than ever, the deaths of their comrades added to the tally sheet that the rest of the lands would have to pay.

And they WILL pay.

Logan will see to that.

LoganandRenklus.jpg

Edited by Ogre

Lars , come young one - I have seen you grow up in and around Petraea, while I did not know your father personally - we did do business while he was in the North. His death came as a shock to all of us. You father was a good man, as I assume are you. You will be a worthy addition.

Meanwhile, do we have an exorcist or something? Bugface over here is looking bloodthirsty. And I don't think he's even in the guild...this is why we need fortresses.

Yes. We should start to consider looking to our defenses. Our Army looks to be in good shape - City watch shall be Lions with Blue arms (backwards torso? or regular?) with our warring army, should their be a need - rag tag assembly of amour and exotic arms.

But first, there is work to be done- with this sudden influx of new guildmates - we need to expand our cities!

But how should they look and feel? what style shall we build? - a Mid Eastern fair? more traditional castle but based in sand? shall we coax our Mystic friends to build us structures of the imaginations?

What say you, how shall we build?

I think we could build anything really. Seeing as there's different parts of the desert to build in, we could have one section be Mid-Eastern and another like a castle. What do you guys think?

I think we could build anything really. Seeing as there's different parts of the desert to build in, we could have one section be Mid-Eastern and another like a castle. What do you guys think?

or oasis, or a lonely mountain peak. or the city in the clouds :) that the beauty of this - you can do what ever you want, and in lusinteract with others. I love it :)

I agree. Lots of different possible styles: Middle-Eastern, Persian, ancient Egyptian, basic Mediterranean / Spanish style, simple adobe, Crusader-style castles, cliff dwellings, nomadic tents, etc. I think we should embrace them all -- the Southlands are big and diverse enough!

Might be easier to discuss what styles we won't concentrate on: we probably don't have a ton of wood, so the half-timbered style of Derfel Cardarm probably isn't really our style. We probably build mostly with stone (tan, greys, some black and white marble), and adobe or brick with stucco.

Since we get hardly any snow, except in the mountains, we don't need highly pitched roofs. In some cases our roofs probably tend to overhang quite a bit to provide shade via porches, porticos, and arcades.

Narrow, winding streets provide shade except at noon, and minimize the effects of dust storms. They are also easy to defend.

Time to start googling desert architecture...

Lars , come young one - I have seen you grow up in and around Petraea, while I did not know your father personally - we did do business while he was in the North. His death came as a shock to all of us. You father was a good man, as I assume are you. You will be a worthy addition.

Yes. We should start to consider looking to our defenses. Our Army looks to be in good shape - City watch shall be Lions with Blue arms (backwards torso? or regular?) with our warring army, should their be a need - rag tag assembly of amour and exotic arms.

But first, there is work to be done- with this sudden influx of new guildmates - we need to expand our cities!

But how should they look and feel? what style shall we build? - a Mid Eastern fair? more traditional castle but based in sand? shall we coax our Mystic friends to build us structures of the imaginations?

Personally I prefer the lion torsos facing forward. It means I'm not constantly fiddling with arms to hide the faction logo when I'm posing figures for a MOC. As for an army, I kind of like the idea that each guild member builds their own personal band of men (or women) to support them. Medieval armies weren't very uniform anyhow so I don't see why we should aim for something like that. In short, lion torsos forward; rag tag band.

To the architecture:

I suggest that our northern lands near the border be more traditional castle builds; grassy plains and traditional European castles. Further south things become more Middle Eastern with Crusader styled fortresses. In the central desert our mystic friends hide in the vast mountains of sand; their fanciful towers and homes only viewed by a select few who have managed to survive the unforgiving desert heat. If we're feeling playful enough, we could even consider adding a parody medieval gambling town to our map; the mysterious "Lost Vegga".

To the architecture:

I suggest that our northern lands near the border be more traditional castle builds; grassy plains and traditional European castles. Further south things become more Middle Eastern with Crusader styled fortresses. In the central desert our mystic friends hide in the vast mountains of sand; their fanciful towers and homes only viewed by a select few who have managed to survive the unforgiving desert heat. If we're feeling playful enough, we could even consider adding a parody medieval gambling town to our map; the mysterious "Lost Vegga".

This was exactly what I had in mind as well. I was envisioning the greener north with a little more traditional look and the further you travel in the more Middle Eastern/Egyptian/Persian/Spanish/ect the architecture would look. I think in our case we have more freedom to incorporate a lot of different cultures and looks since our end of the world is made up of so many rag-tag different groups. I think we should embrace those differences instead of trying to make one totally unified look.

I do agree that wood would be a precious commodity outside of the northern part, so the further in would have a more stoney/brick/stucco look. The desert color scheme I think would tie every structure together even if the structure is based on different architectural types.

I was coincidentally working on an MOC which with fit very nicely with the Guild. It will probably be ready in a few days.

How should we be posting our MOCs, so that it's clear that they're part of the Guild, and we can easily find them later, etc? Should I post it to the forum, with something in the subject indicating it's part of Kaliphlin Guild ("MOC: name blah blah (Kaliphlin Guild)"?), and then post a link to that topic in this thread?

And as far as the backstory, do I just make up the geographical names and locations? Do we have a general sense of the layout of the southern lands? I'm a bit lost geographically, and don't want to mention the southern ocean or the eastern mountains if it's actually the eastern ocean and the southern mountains... Or maybe it doesn't really matter and we just make it up individually. It probably makes some sense to have a shared sense of at least the major geographical features and names, and then everyone can make up their own stuff within that. I think there was a little bit of geography in the first post; maybe that's framework enough.

And as far as the backstory, do I just make up the geographical names and locations? Do we have a general sense of the layout of the southern lands? I'm a bit lost geographically, and don't want to mention the southern ocean or the eastern mountains if it's actually the eastern ocean and the southern mountains... Or maybe it doesn't really matter and we just make it up individually. It probably makes some sense to have a shared sense of at least the major geographical features and names, and then everyone can make up their own stuff within that. I think there was a little bit of geography in the first post; maybe that's framework enough.

I'm not sure how set in stone the locations are, but Thrashq4g posted a nice mock-up on Flickr. Link is below.

Fantasy Map

If I'm correct, our location is highlighted in yellow.

On a separate note, I like the idea of having two types of armies; the more uniform soldiers of the city, and the ragtag, mobile warriors collected from all over the lands.

And then there's the topic of magic. How much magic are we talking here? LOTR magic or Eragon magic or D and D magic?

Edited by Axel

Tafik Regex Marmota, reporting for duty, sir!

That's TR or Gex for short.

6336457128_742fac6520.jpg

I'm sure you all are familiar with my story, so I won't bore you. What? You say you've never heard of me? Ahem, well, uh, I'll have to have a word with my publicist...

"Gex Marmota was born the illegimate son of a minor noble on the Southern Ocean coast. After his mother fell out of favor with father, his stepmother sold them into slavery. He spent his childhood as a slave repairing hyperdrive engines... No, wait, wrong forum... He spent his early childhood as a slave owned by a master builder, learning the builder and stonemason's trades. That accounts for his penchant for building and architecture. He was then sold to a local crime boss, and spent his teens as a slave on smuggling and pirate ships, developing into an accomplished sailor, and a cutthroat fighter.

After leading a slave mutiny and escaping, he led a gang of former slaves to sack the slave port of Mughraz, earning notoriety and a small fortune, as well as the enmity of key bosses of the slave trade. After a few years of seaborne smuggling around the Goolag Archipelago, he switched mostly to land-based smuggling and providing armed escort services for caravans and traveling nobles. (Apparently he is very good at persuading potential customers that they need his services...)

Recently he has left the smuggling and escort businesses mostly to his subordinates. A spate of treasure-hunting in the Mystic Mountains brought even more wealth and notoriety. Some say he saw some unspeakable things in the tomb of Amon-Ka-Tuhamen that have affected his mind, but he was always a bit crazy. He then bought or seized a small province on the coast, and has spent his time building castles, towns, and fortresses, while still fitting in the odd quest here and then."

Anyways, I'm mustering my men and other creatures. Will be a few weeks before they're all gathered and outfitted. It's a bit of a motley crew, and we've even got some green Dragon knights that deserted from Avalonia or somewhere. We'll be on the march soon, and glad to be of help.

...Mountain Mommys - I love it. let's go with it.

Great back story too - do you mind if I added up with the main guild intro?

Feel free though my only request is that we're dealing with a semi-undead tribesmen not a band of maternal hill dwellers :tongue:

As to the architecture, I agree that the further south we go we could incorporate mid-eastern designs but don't forget about our east and western borders with their forest and mountainous regions respectively. I'm fine either way with the lion symbol and I agree the private financed armies will allow for some variation. I'm a factions man myself so I enjoy building giant armies with similar uniforms, so I may stick to the more inhabited areas of our lands. I see that the first challenge has been leveled, to arms fellow guildsmen and guildswomen now is the time to develop our architectural style.

Tafik Regex Marmota! Excellent! You have arrived. It warms my heart that the hero of Mughraz is with us. Some of my fellow slaves were among those that you freed - they have not forgotten you. But so much talk of the past, there is much to do in the present! Your letters have reached us - and it was sound advice that you have given us - and we need strong wills and even stronger minds.

We should take heed of new information provided to us! First, in we have uncovered an ancient parchment that can shed the light on Historica. You may want to study it, for it forget our history, we shall be doomed to repeat it.

We also had a messenger arrive and delivered a letter post haste from the Great King himself!

I hid nothing from my guild brothers and sister,

please read the letter that was delivered.

Our task is clear. The Great King has asked us to ready to defences! Towers, Outputs, Borders must be built!

Spread forth to the four corners of the Siccus Badlands and ensure that the South is strong and secure for the King.

--

Another fantastic day everyone!

I think we reached a good consensus on how to approach building - northern part would be more 'traditional' castle.

more south you go the more Middle Eastern/Egyptian/Persian/Spanish/ect it shall be.

And those that want a bit of a break there's always the western unfertile farm land :laugh: and the mountains to the west.

And I think we need to consider building New Vegga ;)

@Gex/NiceMarmot - for the most part you can make what you want as long as it's reasonable and 'fits' in.

@Axel - that map is like 4 days old - it's SOOOO out of date :laugh:

Though seriously - we are likely going to get a new map that has more of the places each of the 4 guilds made up.

Plus likely ... some other cool stuff that you'll see later :hmpf_bad:

But if it helps - I made this up as I was writing the original story:

6321473874_7963ac88be_m.jpg

Feel free to mark it up with ideas

And yes - my paint skill sucks - that's why we're getting talented people to help with the map ;)

Edited by SI-mocs

I am Lord Shale, owner of the largest quarry in the free South, and I pledge my allegiance to the Kaliphlin Guild!

dsc_0087.jpg

My men will be honored to fight for the glory of Kaliphlin!

dsc_0084.jpg