DLuders

Support Lego Power Functions XS Motor Production!

[From the link on Holodoc's Eurobricks signature]

Midori posted this Lego Cuusoo nominee -- a Lego Power Functions XS Motor (extra small): :cry_happy:

"Like a red Micro-motor, this saves lots of spaces. Unlike the red Micro-motor, this can easily attach to other bricks. The product ( http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/575 ) got me started on suggesting."

thumb640x360.jpg5119-1.jpg

Log into Lego Cuusoo to read about how it works, and add your support to the PF XS Motor! A Power Functions XS Motor could be very useful for these Lego themes:

* Technic

* Trains

* Star Wars

... and probably others! :thumbup:

So far, there is a Power Functions "Medium" and "XL" motor. It makes you wonder about TLG's original vision for the Power Functions motor lineup. What happened to the "Small" and "Large" motor sizes? It's been 4 years since Lego Power Functions was released....

Edited by DLuders

I'd want it to be smaller yet, 3x3x3 is more than twice as big as the red micro motor was. 2x2x2 is more like it, it doesn't need much speed.

- Sok.

I'm not sure I can say I support it until we can agree on the exact size and output speed. For me it would need to be a maximum of 3x3x3 but smaller would be better with an output speed of no greater than 30 rpm.

why not give us both? a small and a new micro. you'd think a micro would sell like hotcakes....

why not give us both? a small and a new micro. you'd think a micro would sell like hotcakes....

then here it will sell like hot brownies :tongue:

I'd want it to be smaller yet, 3x3x3 is more than twice as big as the red micro motor was. 2x2x2 is more like it, it doesn't need much speed.

- Sok.

hi sok

but the Technic scale is alwas uneven so like 3 9 17 so the motor is easy to use in a technic creation

but the Technic scale is alwas uneven so like 3 9 17 so the motor is easy to use in a technic creation

Technic is not always uneven.

Only the studless are uneven, there are still plenty of old Technic bricks and plates to use.

I would not say that new parts has to be uneven.

I like the new 8878 Battery Box for its even number of studs.

I supported... like this design much better than the one that inspired it; smaller would be nice, too.

hi sok

Yes, it would be consistent, but it wouldn't be very small. The axle doesn't need to be in the middle, it could be on the side or on a corner, with mounting holes next to it. There's many different ways to go about it. Ideally, it should be even smaller than the old 9v micromotor, because the cable is attached directly and it thus foregoes the large 2x2x2/3 connector.

- Sok.

Edited by Sokratesz

Everyone wants a tiny motor but you have to realize that there might not be a motor commercially available that would be small enough to fit in some of the requirements some have suggested. Lego probably wouldn't develop their own motor, so they would have to be able to buy a cheap motor from another company and put it inside a Lego case.

tim

Everyone wants a tiny motor but you have to realize that there might not be a motor commercially available that would be small enough to fit in some of the requirements some have suggested. Lego probably wouldn't develop their own motor, so they would have to be able to buy a cheap motor from another company and put it inside a Lego case.

tim

The old micro motor was smaller than 2x2x2 studs (1.6cm boxed), and it's almost 20 years old now. It shouldn't be hard to find a suitable, similarly small new motor for the PF line. One thing that could help in keeping it small is changing the way they are mounted - by not putting giant pinholes in it, for example, but instead making them half-depth or even putting a .5 or 1 length fixed axle on the outside to allow for fixed mounting.

- Sok.

Edited by Sokratesz

The old micro motor was smaller than 2x2x2 studs (1.6cm boxed), and it's almost 20 years old now. It shouldn't be hard to find a suitable, similarly small new motor for the PF line.

- Sok.

Good point, i just meant people should be a little more realistic in size.

tim

Technic is not always uneven.

Only the studless are uneven, there are still plenty of old Technic bricks and plates to use.

I would not say that new parts has to be uneven.

I like the new 8878 Battery Box for its even number of studs.

but the 8878 isn't made for lego technic (the aren't use them in technic sets)

Edited by olaf9198

Heck yeah! I'd be all over some XS motors.

I think a motor with return to center and built in clutch would be even better. :grin:

Is that a servo motor you are refering to? :wink:

Personally I would prefere a proper servo motor that can be controlled remotely to a small motor.

Perhaps one of us could make a cad drawing of a small servo motor and upload it to the site :look:................

You you use a small servo motor as a small pf motor as well couldn't you? :classic:

I think before I inadvertantly hijack another thread (which I think I may be in danger of doing, again! :sceptic: ) I must suggest that this thread be kept to the small motor.

I think before I inadvertantly hijack another thread (which I think I may be in danger of doing, again! :sceptic: ) I must suggest that this thread be kept to the small motor.

Haha good save :wink: .

tim

An outstanding idea, that LEGO should take up, and start processing immidiately. In one of my present projects i could easily use two or three of those. The size is perfect, and eventhough it propaply isnt possible to get the same torque out of a engine that size, it would be great to have it, considering the lower weight it also would have. LEGO just get it on!