Sign in to follow this  
mostlytechnic

Lego Store Special Super-VIP event!

Got an envelope from Lego in the mail today w/ a fake (plastic) wax seal on the back... inside is a card inviting me as a "most valued VIP member" to a special pre-black Friday sale. Nov 19 my local store will be open in a RSVP, invitation only event an hour early to get all the BF deals w/ no crowd!

Limits on the card say 1 guest only, only 1 of the free sets (the second in the pair of small free Christmas sets) per person. One transaction per person, limit of 5 of any item and limit of $5000 (yes, 5 THOUSAND, in pre-discount value) purchase. Also, must be for personal use only.

I'm SO gonna be there! Wonder what other brick friday deals they'll have... wonder if they'll have the scratch-off discount cards? I assume so...

Now gotta ask them when I RSVP if my 5-year-old son can be my guest and purchase stuff so we can get 2 of the freebies... :)

Is this a US-only event? That would be a darn shame.

I've heard that it'll be in Canada, too, but I'm not sure about the rest of the world.

Well, is Brick-Friday (Black Friday, aka the day after Thanksgiving) an international event? I'm guessing this particular thing is US only, but I'd think there might be similar other places.

I'm assuming it's a national event here - my card says it's at my local store, but the postmark is from Enfield CT. So I'm guessing they printed and mailed these all from headquarters.

I am curious though, what the criteria were. I certainly DO spend a ton on Lego... but lots of it is online. I do visit the local store frequently and spend quite a bit though. I'd guess I've spent around $1500 in store and a few thousand online this year. I'd guess they did some type of "sort VIP members by total $$$ spent, then filter for those who spent money in a physical store, and then sort by store" and the top 25 for each store got invites?

hehehe... I've currently got about $150 in VIP credit to spend... I'm thinking maybe I'm getting myself a Fire Brigade and some other toys to fill in my train layout...

Considering that the rest of the world does not have Thanksgiving, their associate celebrations either being simply a date on the calander rather than a holiday, there is no "Black Friday" event in shops for the mad Christmas gift buy.

In the UK, Boxing Day is always a day of massive sales in many stores, so I will be keeping my eyes peeled for a similar sale in the Lego Shop.

Considering that the rest of the world does not have Thanksgiving, their associate celebrations either being simply a date on the calander rather than a holiday, there is no "Black Friday" event in shops for the mad Christmas gift buy.

In the UK, Boxing Day is always a day of massive sales in many stores, so I will be keeping my eyes peeled for a similar sale in the Lego Shop.

Canada does not celebrate American Thanksgiving, but we're still getting the Brick Friday event. It might be worth it to check with your local store anyway.

If you check out the UK 'what's on in store' calendars, they're all mentioning a 'Brick Friday' event from 25-28 November - aside from some good deals this is when they will be giving away the second half of the Christmas vignette with purchases of £50 or mre - quite a tight window!

So, as I mentioned on the Christmas Vignette Thread, it seems like some of us will be able to get set 2 early. I received the invitation and a "ticket" for being able to get it on November 19.

6330352794_58c2702bf8_z.jpg

side1 by FredJH, on Flickr

6329603045_b687e7b77d_z.jpg

side2 by FredJH, on Flickr

6329603011_3cf58a7a8b.jpg

ticket by FredJH, on Flickr

Pretty cool... I find it dubious that I was invited (9 of 25?), don't know what the criteria is, but it seems cool, so my son and I are going. I don't know if you get the scratch off discounts or anything else... but it does say "special offers and free gifts."

So, as I mentioned on the Christmas Vignette Thread, it seems like some of us will be able to get set 2 early. I received the invitation and a "ticket" for being able to get it on November 19.

Pretty cool... I find it dubious that I was invited (9 of 25?), don't know what the criteria is, but it seems cool, so my son and I are going. I don't know if you get the scratch off discounts or anything else... but it does say "special offers and free gifts."

No invite for me...

I guess I don't spend enough through the VIP program.

So I don't get an extra chance to spend more ;)

My wife will be happy about that ;)

Andy D

This is neat... wonder if I'll make the cut at either of the Toronto locations?

I don't think the Fairview location will be having the event, considering they just recently opened.

If they need photo ID they better have some good deals.

I think that's more so people don't photocopy the invites to get in. It supposedly all black Friday deals a week early. I hope it's good.

I've merged Fred's topic and this one as they are both about the Special VIP Pre-Brick Friday events at North American LEGO Brand Retail Stores.

These invitations are showing up in Germany, too. I saw one on a German Lego board. I wonder if I will get one, too :D

Mine was #1 for my store :) However, there was no ticket for the Christmas set 2, although it mentions in the fine print that you can get it.

Also, talked to the store mgr last night. He confirmed that there WILL be the pull-off random discount things and all the other BF deals, though he didn't say what those will be.

Not to trend off-topic [although it seems appropriate here], but what sort of stuff might there be in-store for Brick Friday? I'd intended on taking it easy and just shop-at-home a few things [Emerald Night, some PF parts], but if there's neat stuff and different deals at the physical location, I may have to figure out a way to get out to the store that morning.

FBTB.net has some information on it here.

Q: How were the VIP members chosen?

A: They were selected on the basis they were in the top 25 VIP members for their local store based on engagement and purchases since joining LEGO VIP and part of the top 5% of VIPs globally.

:oh:

They MUST be including online purchases. I'm simply too cheap... but I suppose I'm a pretty consistent buyer. Luckily those damaged boxed discounted sets still count. :classic:

The ironic thing is I've been spending so much over the past few years that, right now, there's not a lot I really really want. I do want set 2, and I think it'll be cool to have it on Thanksgiving instead of after, as I will likely spend the day with my kids setting up our Christmas LEGO display, whereas on Friday and the weekend I'll have other things I need to do.

In any event, thank you TLG for this... I often feel excluded, not being near any major LEGO events (although happy to live near a LEGO Store) and not ever being able to get any of the special give-aways they have at those events, never getting a "Chrome" Vader, despite all the eligible sets I bought (not whining... you never saw me whine about it, but I was disappointed). Even if I don't get anything beyond what people the following week will be able to get, it's still pretty neat. So... very cool of you, TLG, very much appreciated.

I buy alot of brick, but not enought to get into the top 25 at my favorite store. We have some heavy hitters that buy there.

Looks like I'll need to do it the old fashioned way and fight the holiday horde.

Ahab out . . .

Well, I buy a lot but the store that I go to serves an awful lot of very rich people so I can't imagine I'll be invited.

Funny thing is that I normally hide in my house on Black Friday but i would feel pretty obligated to go to this one.

Just so you all know, don't feel bad if you didn't get an invite; it was actually a bit disappointing.

You didn't get the scratch off until you want to check out, so you didn't know what the discount would be. That sucks, because both the free pick-a-brick boxes (they were allowing up to 10 in my store, 1 for each $75 spent) and the second Christmas vignette counted only in AFTER discount dollars spent. It mattered to me because I'm a cheap guy - I don't even know how got invited unless my store has no real big spenders in it.

Of course, it didn't really matter - because as usual for black Friday, NOBODY got more than 10% off.

I was allowed to buy the first Christmas vignette... that was cool because I got two "free" part 2's and now have two complete sets, so can give one as a gift.

So, really, the only "real" bonus was an extra pick-a-brick gift box that we were allowed to use today (if you wanted), but I didn't because we had to be done before 10am, which left me no time to pack it well. It wasn't even really particularly worthwhile, as I had to split my order into two over $100 in order to get the second vignette; if I'd had one order I'd have gotten three boxes without the VIP invite; as it turned out, I ended up with... three boxes (but with a second vignette).

Also, the pick-a-brick gift boxes seem to get smaller every year. I'm fairly certain these are even smaller than what I remember.

My store was giving just the 1 free PAB box per person, none w/ your purchase, and 1 free of the #2 christmas set w/ purchase. I did get a 20% discount though (and saw someone get a 50!) but didn't get to see discount till checking out.

Still fun though, and I spent like $800 of course :)