I think that looks better, although it's still two moulds, not one, since alternating rows of bricks would need to be reversed to work the way you've rendered them.

Thanks, and good found that it's still two moulds. :tongue:

Below is true only one mould which opposite pattern are mirrored.

Only the pattern at all left side corners are imperfect.

Edited by bbqqq

I would delete the half studs and fill op de open sides, to make it look more like Lego would make a part :classic:

One thing I've been thinking about with all cool part design ideas in this topic, is that they actually prevent TLG (or any toy maker) from applying for a patent for that design. So in some respects, with CUUSOO, TLG have somewhat opened Pandoras' box when fans around the world suddenly start publishing their part ideas. And once an idea is published, it is not possible to patent it.

Part design ideas are also different from MOC designs, in that a unique part design can be patented, but a MOC more rarely can (at least to my knowledge).

Now, the question is: is it good to upload part designs ideas to CUUSOO or not? I'm not sure, but I guess that if you don't upload them to CUUSOO and merely publish them in this topic (or anywhere else), they become public, and cannot be protected by TLG (or anyone else for that matter). This means that if TLG decides to take up the idea of that part design, you will get nothing. On the other hand, if you upload to CUUSOO, you will at least get 1% royalty.

One thing I've been thinking about with all cool part design ideas in this topic, is that they actually prevent TLG (or any toy maker) from applying for a patent for that design. So in some respects, with CUUSOO, TLG have somewhat opened Pandoras' box when fans around the world suddenly start publishing their part ideas. And once an idea is published, it is not possible to patent it.

Part design ideas are also different from MOC designs, in that a unique part design can be patented, but a MOC more rarely can (at least to my knowledge).

Now, the question is: is it good to upload part designs ideas to CUUSOO or not? I'm not sure, but I guess that if you don't upload them to CUUSOO and merely publish them in this topic (or anywhere else), they become public, and cannot be protected by TLG (or anyone else for that matter). This means that if TLG decides to take up the idea of that part design, you will get nothing. On the other hand, if you upload to CUUSOO, you will at least get 1% royalty.

But what if TLG ask bbqqq for permission to patent it and he accepts it (of course :wink: )? Or isn't that allowed (I'm not really into rules and patents)?

But what if TLG ask bbqqq for permission to patent it and he accepts it (of course :wink: )? Or isn't that allowed (I'm not really into rules and patents)?

Well, the thing is that if an idea (or design that can be design protected) has been shown in the public domain (for example published on the internet, presented at an open AFOL-event or whatever), then it is by definition not possible to patent it. You need to file for a patent BEFORE you show it to the public. Well, to be honest, you can file for a patent, but if it later comes up facts that shows that the idea or design was already known, the patent will fall and you will have lost all the money you paid filing for it.

Well, the thing is that if an idea (or design that can be design protected) has been shown in the public domain (for example published on the internet, presented at an open AFOL-event or whatever), then it is by definition not possible to patent it. You need to file for a patent BEFORE you show it to the public. Well, to be honest, you can file for a patent, but if it later comes up facts that shows that the idea or design was already known, the patent will fall and you will have lost all the money you paid filing for it.

Yes this is probably true, but original author still can apply for a patent and later sell it to anybody. I think, it is not important if you publish it before it is patented. The only risk is that somebody will steal your idea, if you publish it before it is patented. There are many cases when company started produce a product and only after some time applied for a design protection. Of course, if the key portion of your idea is some knowledge out of public domain, you cannot patent it.

But do TLG patent individual bricks? I tend to think not .. I'm sure this whole CUUSOO thing have been well thought out (allthough, I'm not sure it'll end too well)

Also, many of those proposed wonderfull bricks are probably allready CAD'ed out long time ago at TLG design headquarters :wink:

I'm sure we'll see many of them in the future ..

As I have understood it as roughly as follows: Trademarking is one thing - it can be done after many years, when a product brand/logo/design has become synonymous with a certain product (like the LEGO logo) . Intellectual property right is something you get automatically as innovator/creator (like a piece of music). A Patent, also a design patent, however is something else; It must be new and previously unknown.

I investigated some more and found for EU: "Designs may be protected if they are novel, that is if no design identical or differing only in immaterial details has been made available to the public;". This is mentioned here (which interestingly mentions LEGO as a case :tongue:)

@1974 - it doesn't matter if they are CAD:ed out a long time ago inside TLG if they are unknown to the public - it is the first that claim the patent that wins.

TLG example of US patented individual brick: http://www.google.com/patents?id=dVfRAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

(there are plenty more examples like it).

I would delete the half studs and fill op de open sides, to make it look more like Lego would make a part :classic:

That is a good option.

This arch part may have low clutch power problem, especially at bottom join which cannot be reinforced, Maybe the half studs should help a bit.

Thanks 'Superkalle' and other guys for very nice suggestions and discuss :wub: . I design parts just for fun and didn't think much. It would be good if one of them become product wheater I make money or not. :classic:

Roof Tile Round Corner Outside: (Corner inside comming soon.)

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/23343

This method can be apply to smooth roof tile system and all other angle (include invert & corner inside) of all roof tile elements.

7757642018_f410b0d1be_c.jpg

roof tile round corner by Nachapon S., on Flickr

Edited by bbqqq

Thanks 'Superkalle' and other guys for very nice suggestions and discuss :wub: . I design parts just for fun and didn't think much. It would be good if one of them become product wheater I make money or not. :classic:

That's the spirit :thumbup:

I guess I just wanted to shed some light on the subject, specially in this topic since it's one of the very few places where it is actually any meaning to talk about design rights. I guess I'm just believer that an inventor should always get what he deserve - due credit for due work and all that :classic:

Thank you very much, Superkalle. :blush:

Ridge tiles (or all 6 new parts) of smooth slope design can be come with engrave for crowbar. Because the engrave will be hidden when make a roof. This make them easier to be disassembled than current lego's ridge tiles.(while fully attach to bigger element)

It should be nice if exchange ridge tiles with normal flat tiles. The top of the roof will become gold brick shape.

7760059994_9aac2fa9c0_b.jpg

roof tile smooth slope system new part design 5 by Nachapon S., on Flickr

Edited by bbqqq

Roof tile edge and corner realistic pieces.(2x2, 2x3, 2x4)

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/23674

This method can be apply to smooth roof tile system and all other angle (include corner & corner inside) of all roof tile elements.

7789461754_b6a34b8a54_c.jpg

roof tile edge and corner realistic pieces new part design by Nachapon S., on Flickr

Edited by bbqqq

Roof tile edge and corner realistic pieces.(2x2, 2x3, 2x4)

This method can be apply to smooth roof tile system and all other angle (include corner & corner inside) of all roof tile elements.

(snip)

roof tile edge and corner realistic piece new parts design by Nachapon S., on Flickr

As useful as this sort of thing would be, do you know if it's even possible to mold that 45-degree upper corner in ABS and still meet TLG's quality standards? Normally when TLG molds anything with a point as sharp as that they use a softer, more rubbery plastic (a good example is Exo-Force hair, which is a "bouncy" rubber material, or the tooth pieces introduced in LEGO Atlantis which are just a softer plastic). But I think these bricks would have to be solid ABS or polycarbonate to attach firmly and hold their shape when built into a larger structure. This is probably a major part of why TLG's normal inverse slopes don't mesh with their regular slopes perfectly.

There is one ABS part I can think of with a sharp point like that-- the "stafford slope", or 1x2 slope with two-plate cutout released in sets beginning last year. However, even it has a slightly blunted corner if I remember correctly, whereas these look like they'd be quite painful to step on. Blunting the corner of these might also detract from these in an aesthetic sense, and prevent the top surfaces from meeting corner-to-corner when made into a peak. I'm sure this could be an acceptable sacrifice, though.

As useful as this sort of thing would be, do you know if it's even possible to mold that 45-degree upper corner in ABS and still meet TLG's quality standards? Normally when TLG molds anything with a point as sharp as that they use a softer, more rubbery plastic (a good example is Exo-Force hair, which is a "bouncy" rubber material, or the tooth pieces introduced in LEGO Atlantis which are just a softer plastic). But I think these bricks would have to be solid ABS or polycarbonate to attach firmly and hold their shape when built into a larger structure. This is probably a major part of why TLG's normal inverse slopes don't mesh with their regular slopes perfectly.

There is one ABS part I can think of with a sharp point like that-- the "stafford slope", or 1x2 slope with two-plate cutout released in sets beginning last year. However, even it has a slightly blunted corner if I remember correctly, whereas these look like they'd be quite painful to step on. Blunting the corner of these might also detract from these in an aesthetic sense, and prevent the top surfaces from meeting corner-to-corner when made into a peak. I'm sure this could be an acceptable sacrifice, though.

Thank you for nice suggestions. Yes, those corners are too sharp and I forgot to blunting them (as cheese slope). Please see the update version above.

Thank you for nice suggestions. Yes, those corners are too sharp and I forgot to blunting them (as cheese slope). Please see the update version above.

Much better! :classic:

One of the things I really like about these is that if you build the roof as you've demonstrated, it's 100% removeable without the use of any tiled portions in the construction of the walls. It would be a great feature for Friends and Creator houses. I haven't supported too many of your part proposals, but this is one I'd love to see in official sets and can feel comfortable giving my full support!

Currently the Cuusoo link isn't working... is it just not public yet? Haven't proposed anything of my own on Cuusoo so I'm not totally sure how that works.

Much better! :classic:

One of the things I really like about these is that if you build the roof as you've demonstrated, it's 100% removeable without the use of any tiled portions in the construction of the walls. It would be a great feature for Friends and Creator houses. I haven't supported too many of your part proposals, but this is one I'd love to see in official sets and can feel comfortable giving my full support!

Currently the Cuusoo link isn't working... is it just not public yet? Haven't proposed anything of my own on Cuusoo so I'm not totally sure how that works.

Thanks for great idea about removeable roof. :thumbup: May I borrow some of your words to post in cuusoo?

Aanchir @ Eurobricks suggested: "This new roof system will be 100% removeable without the use of any tiled portions in the construction of the walls. It would be a great feature for Friends and Creator houses."

Roof tile edge and corner realistic pieces.(2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x8)

The roof edge extend offset from wall can be 0-?? studs.

V2 Smooth on both side roof tile system

pic 800x1004

Edited by bbqqq

Add round tile(with growth rings decal) to log cabin bricks.

Going to add white snow roof smooth on both side, comming soon.

pic size (1600 x 1087) My link

Edited by bbqqq

Solid & Continuous Arch V2. No more half stud and hollow arch. :classic:

But two moulds for straight continuous.

Continuous Arch by Nachapon by Nachapon S., on Flickr

I am sorry, if I miss the obvious, but will it be still possible to create that continuous arch? When the part is rotated 180degrees to make it continuous arch, it will not connect. Or I miss something?

V2 Smooth on both side roof tile system

V2 Smooth on both side roof tile system by Nachapon S., on Flickr

This is really nice detail part for the roofs. Symetric, clean and does not seems to be difficult to produce.

I enjoy watching, how you come with the ideas - may be just for fun, but may be some of them will really be an inspiration for TLG and will be produced.

Edited by hrontos