Sign in to follow this  
Lance

LEGO Universe to close in January

A few days ago, TLG announced that LEGO Universe will be closing on January 31st 2012. This follows the game not getting enough players to keep the game going. Despite the success of free to play, not enough players upgraded to full membership.

From the LEGO Universe blog:

Hello Adventurers,

We are very sad to announce that LEGO Universe will be closing on Janurary 31, 2012. This was a very difficult decision to make, but unfortunately LEGO Universe has not been able to attract the number of members needed to keep the game open.

We are thankful to have had the opportunity to share this adventure wiith an amazing community of players. We hope you will continue to enjoy LEGO Universe for the last few months. As a thank you, if you are a paying subscriber on December 31, 2011, we will provide you the full game for the final month for free. Click here for the details.

Again, we want to thank the fantastic community of players who made LEGO Universe such a vibrant, fun and creative experience.

(You can discuss this article on the message boards)

Sincerely,

The LEGO Universe Team

This is very upsetting for my son as he loved the game. Many players are now gathering together to save the game, but there are many plans from the players to migrate to other games. I think, if they did release LU sets, the game would have a lot more players. Maybe there's still a chance for the game, as they are still advertising free to play. Along with the game closure, 115 jobs will be lost. LEGO will offer to find the employees new jobs, inside and outside of The LEGO Group.

Its such a shame to close Lego Universe, but we don't want TLG going out of buisness now, do we?

I swear there is already a thread for this :sceptic:

But anyway, I played the free version and to be honest, it didn't catch my intrest. Mainly because of the super long mission explaining.

Go break these 5 crates, spends 40 seconds showing were the crates are.

Collect my Ninjago gear!, spends 20 seconds showing the postbox WHICH IS RIGHT NEXT TO HIM! :sing:

But the game may have been good, I only played the trial for 30 minutes or so. Maybe it was because of the price? £40 for the game itself?!? Or the fact that you had to be a member to play it when it came out, thats how I think it lost alot of customers :sad:

However some of the kids on the Lego messgaeboards are not taking this well :grin:

Goodbye universe!