Sign in to follow this  
Toa_Of_Justice

<MOC> Bulk 2012

I was recently inspired by the 2012 Hero Factory sets to build a 2012 version of Duncan Bulk. I borrowed a lot of concepts from the "Deluxe" version of Bulk from Bulk and Vapour.

I also tried to make use of existing parts in real colors as much as possible, but unfortunately, there are some parts (especially around the legs) that can't be found in current sets.

Click any image to enlarge it.

And now, I present...

0_bulk_2012_title_eb.png

Features:

• Full articulation (13 points, not including the wings, jetpack, and launcher joints)
  • Fully armored (including the back, as the 2012 Breez set seems to have)
  • Moveable wings (made to resemble Bulk's classic armor "wings")
  • Moveable jetpack (on a ball joint; made to resemble "Deluxe" Bulk's jetpack)
  • Twin launchers (not exactly in the new 2012 style, but still keeping with Bulk's trademark two-handed weapon system)
  • Handcuffs (mocked up from parts available in LDD)
  • "Glow-in-the-dark" Hero Core (I know the official sets seem to have plain white Hero Cores, but unless someone knows otherwise, I think they might actually glow in the dark [based on preliminary pictures]. If they don't, then consider this addition to be my own idea.)

1_bulk_2012.png

2_bulk_2012.png

3_bulk_2012.png

LXF File - Brickshelf Gallery (when public)

I hope you like my MOC.

-Toa Of Justice

Good MoC, but Orange doesn't fit Bulk :V

Despite orange being his Hero Core color. :P

Love the MoC, and makes me want an official toy. I also like how you gave him a jetpack like he had in the Bulk and Vapour set.

Kalhiki

Edited by Kalhiki

Very nice, I can imagine this being made as a set, with a few exceptions - your ingenious use of the Nex helmets seems like something TLG wouldn't do for some reason. I like the colours, and I think what you say about the glow in the dark Hero cores could definitely be plausible. Will you be doing Stringer, too?

Ingenious use of Nex's helmet.

A medal to you for that.

Yeah, because Surge having loads of lime-green doesn't shout: BULK WILL HAVE ORANGE IN SUMMER 2012. :sceptic:

Anyway, really good MOC, here's to hoping Bulk's next form will be as good as this.

Edited by Omicron Squad Leader

Instwuctions pwease? :sweet: Really cool! I tried to upgrade my Furno since I couldn't wait for the sets, but it was nowhere near this good! Great work! :thumbup:

Phosphorescent White (the pre-2006 GITD) has been discontinued, so I think we can say with certainty that the new Hero Cores won't glow in the dark.

Anyway, kind of a cool design. At first glance it's a little chaotic-looking, but the same applies to the upcoming Rocka set, and like that set it starts to look better once you can see what all the parts are being used for.

I think the flames coming from his jetpack are a little underwhelming-- did you try using the larger flame piece 85959? Although that flame piece in real life tends to be blended, and LDD does not allow this, it's still a bit more formidable than the regular LEGO flames.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone! :thumbup:

On 11/5/2011 at 9:38 PM, Vinyl Scratch said:

Ingenious use of Nex's helmet.

A medal to you for that.

I chose Nex's helmet because it fits over the shoulder like the 2012 rounded armor pieces do. I also chose it because it came in orange, which as Kalhiki said, is Bulk's Hero Core color. If LEGO decided to use it, they wouldn't have to produce a new color or a new mold.

On 11/5/2011 at 10:02 PM, Kalhiki said:

Despite orange being his Hero Core color. :P

Love the MoC, and makes me want an official toy. I also like how you gave him a jetpack like he had in the Bulk and Vapour set.

Kalhiki

I wish it were official too. :excited: I could put it on LEGO CUUSOO if you want me to.

On 11/5/2011 at 11:33 PM, Rollbar said:

The only 4.0 hero I would buy, and it's not even a real set.

Great work! :thumbup:

Actually, I think Bulk, Stormer, Stringer, and Nex might be in the Summer 2012 HF lineup--it would make sense since they're the only heroes who haven't been upgraded to the next version yet. :look: I don't know what's coming for sure though.

On 11/5/2011 at 11:44 PM, Rocketbilly said:

Very nice, I can imagine this being made as a set, with a few exceptions - your ingenious use of the Nex helmets seems like something TLG wouldn't do for some reason. I like the colours, and I think what you say about the glow in the dark Hero cores could definitely be plausible. Will you be doing Stringer, too?

Believe it or not, LEGO did use masks/heads as shoulder parts before--see Maxilos and Takanuva (2008 version). As for Stringer, if his 1.0 helmet becomes available in LDD, I might do him too. :grin: I'm looking forward to doing Stormer as well.

On 11/6/2011 at 5:38 AM, Omicron Squad Leader said:

Yeah, because Surge having loads of lime-green doesn't shout: BULK WILL HAVE ORANGE IN SUMMER 2012. :sceptic:

Anyway, really good MOC, here's to hoping Bulk's next form will be as good as this.

I hope Bulk's next form will be as good as mine as well. :grin:

On 11/6/2011 at 7:08 AM, K-nut said:

Instwuctions pwease? :sweet: Really cool! I tried to upgrade my Furno since I couldn't wait for the sets, but it was nowhere near this good! Great work! :thumbup:

If you open my model in LEGO Digital Designer and press the F7 key on your keyboard, instructions should come up automatically. I should warn you though--the sequence of steps might be rather screwy at times, and not all of the parts exist in real life (such as the orange Villain Cores on Bulk's knees). :wacko:

Of course, if opening my model in LDD isn't convenient for you, I have just created a PDF version (1.66 MB) of the instructions from the LDD-generated HTML file.

On 11/6/2011 at 9:44 PM, Aanchir said:

Phosphorescent White (the pre-2006 GITD) has been discontinued, so I think we can say with certainty that the new Hero Cores won't glow in the dark.

Anyway, kind of a cool design. At first glance it's a little chaotic-looking, but the same applies to the upcoming Rocka set, and like that set it starts to look better once you can see what all the parts are being used for.

I think the flames coming from his jetpack are a little underwhelming-- did you try using the larger flame piece 85959? Although that flame piece in real life tends to be blended, and LDD does not allow this, it's still a bit more formidable than the regular LEGO flames.

Shame about that GITD color being discontinued. :sad: As for the flames...how does this look?

bigger_flames_small.png

^click to enlarge^

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice
Fixed emoticons and updated Dropbox link. See why here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13188848

Once again, I'm tempted to adopt someone else's digital MOC into a real MOC with a few changes for my own taste... XD

Anyway, this Bulk looks fantastic! I'm seriously tempted to order this guy and changing the orange villian cores against available ones (aren't those armour pieces availabe in silver anyway?).

I'm looking forward to your revamp of Stringer and especially Stormer.

Once again, I'm tempted to adopt someone else's digital MOC into a real MOC with a few changes for my own taste... XD

I'd be happy if you did that. :sweet: Please let me know if you do that so I can put a link to it in my topic.

Anyway, this Bulk looks fantastic! I'm seriously tempted to order this guy and changing the orange villian cores against available ones (aren't those armour pieces availabe in silver anyway?).

According to BrickLink and LDD Manager, the Villain Cores are available in silver, yes. However, none of the other pieces used in the legs are available in the colors I chose, except the orange feet and black lower leg bones.

I'm looking forward to your revamp of Stringer and especially Stormer.

Me too. I really hope I can do those...whether I can will depend on how much time I have (I'm currently in college) and whether the required 1.0 helmets become available in LDD.

-Toa Of Justice

Please let me know if you do that so I can put a link to it in my topic.

Sure! Just like with the Protoss Warrior I once built, I'll give you full credit for the original idea. But I'm also not sure when I'll tackle that project, since I also had some other MOCing ideas I want to start prior to that.

According to BrickLink and LDD Manager, the Villain Cores are available in silver, yes. However, none of the other pieces used in the legs are available in the colors I chose, except the orange feet and black lower leg bones.

Just checked again on Pick-A-Brick, and they're available there as well. Since I like that piece anyway, I'll might order a few of them some day.

I'm actually not sure if I'll use your design to build Bulk or a complete original character, but even if I go for Bulk, I'll most likely alter the colours here and there anyway.

Me too. I really hope I can do those...whether I can will depend on how much time I have (I'm currently in college) and whether the required 1.0 helmets become available in LDD.

Well, maybe I'll take the basic design to tackle Stormer myself - of course, I'm gonna need a good idea for him before I do so...

Sure! Just like with the Protoss Warrior I once built, I'll give you full credit for the original idea. But I'm also not sure when I'll tackle that project, since I also had some other MOCing ideas I want to start prior to that.

That's all right. Thank you. :classic:

Just checked again on Pick-A-Brick, and they're available there as well. Since I like that piece anyway, I'll might order a few of them some day.

I'm actually not sure if I'll use your design to build Bulk or a complete original character, but even if I go for Bulk, I'll most likely alter the colours here and there anyway.

Again, that's all right. Feel free to express your creativity--that's what LEGO is all about, isn't it? :wink:

Well, maybe I'll take the basic design to tackle Stormer myself - of course, I'm gonna need a good idea for him before I do so...

I took inspiration for my MOC from the 2012 HF sets. That might be a good place to start getting ideas. Unfortunately, I am now concerned that LDD may never get that vital Stormer 1.0 helmet...please see this post I recently made.

-Toa Of Justice