I Scream Clone

Guilds of Historica Introduction/General Discussion Thread

To make kabel more jealous, you should definitely visit the Vasa museum in Stockholm, we have an increadibly well preserved 17th century warship there :classic:

Yes, that's a really great museum. Amazingly well preserved ship, and a fascinating exhibit on how they raised it and preserved it. I really liked it when I lived in Stockholm. There's also a good ethnographic museum nearby, but I'm not sure that would be on my list if I only had a day and half in Stockholm.

I was planning to go to Finnland next summer, but I might reconsider and go to Sweden instead ...

I was planning to go to Finnland next summer, but I might reconsider and go to Sweden instead ...

Why not both? It is a beautiful route through the archipelago if you take the ferry between Stockholm and Finland :classic:

Why not both? It is a beautiful route through the archipelago if you take the ferry between Stockholm and Finland :classic:

That is one thing we lack here in the US... the large ferry lines such as Viking and Silja. Here the ferries are much smaller. All this talk here is making me want to go back and visit...

@Masa: but you have the San Juan Islands between Washington State and Vancouver Island and lots of ferries all around Puget Sound and the inland passage all the way up to Alaska! I almost would have stayed in Seattle for good but decided that life in Europe was a little easier to take :wink:

Welcome back (or see you later? you really should've gone to CBS, it was great)

what parts of NZ did you end up getting too?

Didn't go to Christchurch, so missed that show. We flew into AKL and connected immediately down to Queenstown, and then spent about 19 days driving back up to Auckland. Really great trip, except we hit a lot of rain on the South Island. Seriously, it rained nine days in a row, then one clear day, followed by another four days of rain. What's up with that?

Kiwis clearly have a different view of the weather. Many times when we'd talk to a local about the rain, they would say something like "What? This isn't really rain. Look, you can still see the other side of the road. If it was really raining, you wouldn't be able to see those sheep over there..."

Our itinerary was: Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Wanaka, Fox Glacier, Franz Josef, Punakaiki, Nelson, Motueka / Abel Tasman NP, ferry to Wellington, Wellington, Taupo, Rotorua, Matamata (Hobbiton), Waitomo, Auckland. It was all great, even in the rain. Hobbiton, by the way, was really good, much better than we had expected. It's done to a very high standard, and the attention to detail is fantastic.

haha, you came in the winter! our weather is stupid aye, in wellington this year, we've had a drought, flooding rains, 200 kph winds, and yet its been one of the best years ever in terms of good weather.

shoulda said something while you were in wellington.

glad you enjoyed your trip!

haha, you came in the winter! our weather is stupid aye, in wellington this year, we've had a drought, flooding rains, 200 kph winds, and yet its been one of the best years ever in terms of good weather.

Not to mention a bunch of earthquakes!

Oh yeah, thats not weather though. we had a 6.6 last friday, that was fun :P

you really came at an interesting time. wellys had 4 mag 6s in the last month

Oh yeah, thats not weather though. we had a 6.6 last friday, that was fun :P

you really came at an interesting time. wellys had 4 mag 6s in the last month

Six is nothing. You should try a seven, that would help shake things up a bit! :tongue:

Actually, six is pretty hard. Anything under 5.5 is just a little tremor though.

I once experienced a 7.0 when i lived in Seattle ... I afterwards spend a full two days in the pub to cope with the experience ...

last year there was a 7

not sure how you guys saw it, but NZ had a 6.something that killed over 200 people 2 years ago, that was freaky

I once experienced a 7.0 when i lived in Seattle ... I afterwards spend a full two days in the pub to cope with the experience ...

I'm sure you don't need an earthquake as an excuse to spend two full days in the pub!

I'm sure you don't need an earthquake as an excuse to spend two full days in the pub!

:laugh:

I suppose as a Californian you're more used to earthquakes than most other people, but you're probably right, there is always a reason to have a (good - hard to get in the us :tongue: ) beer! And mocing and drinking beer is the same anyway ... :laugh: