I Scream Clone

Guilds of Historica Introduction/General Discussion Thread

I think there should be NO link between Historica and Heroica, they are two different things, and that should be the end of it.

My journey went like this...

Slaving away in the pirates forum making "half-timber" style houses for a village/port there. I stumble across the guilds posts and my interest wass piqued. Looked at Avalonia last and notice the guild specifically had that style of building and my pirate friend DC was the leader. Begin working on my army- then declared for Avalonia!

I always collected castle, but to a large extent, I didn’t really build much. My ONLY castle MOC EVER before joining the GoH was this one…

though I would agree there is some cross-over with pirates.

I know I have improved my building skills since beginning GoH. I had NEVER even tried t landscape before the watchtower challenge. I would encourage everyone in any guild to just learn and grow at your own pace. I think we collectively have done a good job of encouraging people here, and I hope we continue to encourage growth in all guilds as many of Avalonia's best builders are relatively new castle builders and have become a strong core.

I plan to do a few MOCs in a few of the other lands soon, so I hope others will do the same!

I would have to say my tale is quite the same. I joined this site a long time ago just for the pirates portion. I never even left that forum for a couple years! However, I didn't MOC all that much after I moved away from my main collection in 2007 (Actually, it is seeming that my main collection now lives with me, especially after the amount of BL purchases for GoH I have made... Although I still have a huge fleet in storage) I still frequented the Pirates boards, but would go a couple months without logging on. Then I accidentally found the GoH posts and instantly found the desire to MOC again. It has been a catalyst for ideas and new techniques... now if I could just get round walls down pat.

This is well thought out, Doc, but it is as I said before very complicated. If we're going to do this it would either get a side-forum in Historic or both it and Heroica get side-forums in Mafia and RPG's. I would like a Mod to speak on the matter before any decisions are made, however. I don't want someone working their tail off, only to have their work ruined by a Mod. :classic:

I'm in no way saying that there should be any official link. I just made all that up for my own roleplaying purposes and to explain the fact that I used the same character.

I'm in no way saying that there should be any official link. I just made all that up for my own roleplaying purposes and to explain the fact that I used the same character.

Pretty much the same here, I really saw no reason to make an entirely new character.

@Doc: If you want, I could make a more detailed history for Docken's ancestors.

I second the statement that there should NOT be a link between the Guilds of Historica and Sandy's Heroica RPG. Both have been made to satisfy different needs and combining the two would make things far more complex. Just keep it as the way it is. If people want to build Castle MOCs in a general style, let them join GoH. If they rather want to make up a character and have adventures, join Heroica. Simple as that.

I don't mind your vague-ish links and references to Heroica, Brickdoctor, I can kind of live with that, but I definitely do not wish to see an official link or combination of both. They're two seperate worlds with different characteristics, let's keep it that way.

@Doc: If you want, I could make a more detailed history for Docken's ancestors.

Thanks, but I'd rather create the history of my characters myself.

The announcement topic is gone, where is it? :sceptic:

Maybe they unlocked it to put up Challenge 3?

Thanks, but I'd rather create the history of my characters myself.

Ok, Cheers. :classic:

Edited by VolcanicPanik

The announcement topic is gone, where is it? :sceptic:

It's still there, just invisible, when we update with announcements and challenges we set it invisible until we all agree/check for errors. Currently Challenge 3 is posted, awaiting approval by guild leaders, and will be made visible very soon. (Think less than a few hours) :wink:

It's still there, just invisible, when we update with announcements and challenges we set it invisible until we all agree/check for errors. Currently Challenge 3 is posted, awaiting approval by guild leaders, and will be made visible very soon. (Think less than a few hours) :wink:

:wink: You guys do a good job. Nice Challenge 3!

Just to clear up a point regarding Challenge 3:

There are only 4 crystals, one in each land.

There are not lots of false crystals that have been hidden in shrines that have just sprung up all over the place. Obviously we couldn't just have 1 guild member building a moc from each guild for challenge 3. The idea is that everyone builds their own interpretation of their guild discovering the crystal that lies hidden in their land. :classic:

But i'm sure you all knew that right :wink:

Hi, I would please like to know if I enter one of the guilds, I can still build the MOCs for challenge 1 and 2, since I start using the forum a little after those challenges are over.

Hi, I would please like to know if I enter one of the guilds, I can still build the MOCs for challenge 1 and 2, since I start using the forum a little after those challenges are over.

hi Apple Pi.

You can still build those challenges, but as they have been judged, they just will be scored as "free builds"

Avalonia might still be closed to new participants; I'm not sure. But Kaliphlin, Mitgardia, and Nocturnus are still open and welcoming. Pick whichever one you like, or ask for some assistance choosing.

Holy crap the prize for round 3 is amazing! I'm sure that will encourage some more contributions...

Holy crap the prize for round 3 is amazing! I'm sure that will encourage some more contributions...

Certainly.

And new recruits for each guild too.

Just wanted to say thanks to the organizers for putting on such a fantastic prize for Challenge 3. Whoever is lucky enough to win it will be delighted I am sure! :classic:

Just wanted to say thanks to the organizers for putting on such a fantastic prize for Challenge 3. Whoever is lucky enough to win it will be delighted I am sure! :classic:

Ah my good man, luck is not part of the equation; it's all about the skill and creativity of the builders. The key is this; Impress Everyone! :wink:

Don't forget, there's still prizes for Challenge 1 & 2 that are still in production... (next time we prefabricate before we start this thing...)

Plus other wonderful things we plan to arbitrary give out based on undisclosed criteria!

Plus other wonderful things we plan to arbitrary give out based on undisclosed criteria!

FINALLY! We are doing bad things and we are rewarded for that! Heaven for the Drow! :)

Let's burn some city, we might win a battlepack ;)

You know, for a right reward, we could raise the number of slaves in the mines, although we do not need them.

...what are we saying, there could never be enough of the slaves :) silly us ;)

umberhulk.jpg

Is it too late to get involved in this Guild project? This looks really fun.

Not too late at all. I'd recommend you read the first post on each guild, and then maybe the last few pages of each guild thread to get a feel for the guild and its members, and then pick a guild. Once you've chosen, post in that guild's thread, announcing yourself and your character's name. If you can add a back-story for your character and a picture, that's even better.

Questions for the judges of challenge 3:

One thing that Sirens-of-Titan does very well, is create a variety of scenes for each MOC. For example, on each of his MOCpages "MOCs" there are actually several distinct scenes.

Given that challenge 3 has no size limit, and a story has to be told, can one enter a variety of other scenes along with the main MOC and have these judged as a complete set? Or would only the main MOC be counted? How much will the story count toward the final score?

@ Basiliscus:

Yes indeed; we are more than open to that mode of story telling. Whether you make 1 big scene or several smaller ones, we will consider it one entry. :thumbup:

Story is a good thing to have, but build quality and originality and presentation are the meat and gravy of Challenge 3! :wink:

A reminder to those of you putting Mafia/Heroica/History Forum Guild resumes and stats in your signatures:

Signatures: As a rough rule, you may use up to four pictures each with a maximum pixel height of 200, a file size of 250k and no more than 200 words. If your sig is bigger than your average post, it can confuse someone reading a thread and you may be asked to reduce it, or a staff member may do it for you. Some exceptions may be made on a case by case basis, but please try to limit the space you use. Font size should be kept to a minimum: ideally no bigger than size 3. No animated GIFs are to be used in your signatures.

Perhaps a better place for these stats is your user profile. Generally, your signature should not be much taller than 200 pixels and many of you are pushing that, trying to promote your guild/character/or gaming history. Please put an end to this trend. Thank you. :thumbup: