Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Knockoff/Clone/Imitation Brand Pirate Sets

Mate, I live in England. English post is unreliable at best, I am NOT about to bid on an American auction. I just want to see what the clone brands look like.

Hello

You may have seen on ebay another set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-PEARL-Caribbean-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have got this and I willl try to take some photos and compare

I didnt buy it from this buyer though

I will be away for a while and ill post them once I get back

Also I wont be able to post my Halloween contest entry... :'-(

blackpearl_a_800.jpg6285-1.jpg

We'll have some comparison pictures here for anyone to discuss the differences!

There are indeed some quite striking similarities there are some differences, most notably the sail design. But the thing I find most striking is they've copied little details like the monkey hanging off the treasure chest.

There are indeed some quite striking similarities there are some differences, most notably the sail design. But the thing I find most striking is they've copied little details like the monkey hanging off the treasure chest.

I have the Knock off and not the BSB

Since it was around

Jeez! They would not win the figurehead competition, look, she be missin' it! |-/ Still the metallic swords look nice, or at least I think they are shiny!! Their are slight differences, but I heard that the quality is poor and the bricks do not fit together well!

Jeez! They would not win the figurehead competition, look, she be missin' it! |-/ Still the metallic swords look nice, or at least I think they are shiny!! Their are slight differences, but I heard that the quality is poor and the bricks do not fit together well!

Actually they do fit very well

If you have any questions ask

Ive got it right behind my seat

Hmm, interesting. I thought TLC had taken those "Enlighten" folks to task a few years back? Ah well, I have to give these bootleggers points for determination. Then again, considering what was said at the party congress, the CCP may finally start cracking down on such enterprises.

badger

i guess that's why it's not called a BSB, it's black pearl from the carribbean pirates series. :-P and it is also missing a figure head, so they are not the same. also the mfs have diff prints. :-P

joking aside, did they strike a deal where if there were 5 differences from the original then it is not considered an infringement on copyright or something? duh... chinese laws are funny i guess. :-P

btw, it's not as cheap as you think. if you try the website where those pics are obtained, the black pearl sells for $105. although shipping is free, that's still expensive. i much rather just buy lego.

here's the site:

http://www.liangdianup.com

edit: - it's funny. you guys should click on the link. apparently lego isn't the only one they copied. they also copied some military sets from best lock. talk about revenge of the knock offs. lol. :-D knock offs getting copied by knock offs.

joking aside, did they strike a deal where if there were 5 differences from the original then it is not considered an infringement on copyright or something? duh... chinese laws are funny i guess.

The laws in mainland China in regards to copyright are quite similar to those found elsewhere. However, the enforcement of said laws tends to be more lax, and corruption is a serious issue. The US government and several business groups (the MPAA in particular) have strongly pushed the PRC to work harder to decrease piracy of intellectual property within their borders.

badger

We'll have some comparison pictures here for anyone to discuss the differences!

Actually it should be:

fakebsb1.jpg

fakebsb2.jpg

bsbsx5.jpg

Note the difference in piece count: 590, 870 and 865 respectively (or 896 for the Legends re-relaease).

Also, the first one has the ugliest sails - they look like they were made using a crayon or something!

The first two are using the same "Pirates Series" logo, although it seems it's a different brand (or perhaps the same brand which evolved and changed its name - in that case I'd say the first one is older, and the second one was renamed to be more commercially attractive after the success of Pirates Of The Caribbean. The second one is also much more similar to the original. The first one is the smallest - it uses only 2 midsections, not 3! The hull actually looks like the narrow version (like in the Imperial Flagship), although it may just be an illusion. The masts are also much lower - note the smaller brown rigging pieces.

Actually they do fit very well

If you have any questions ask

Ive got it right behind my seat

Really? Is it worth buying one, if the quility is similar to Lego?

Actually it should be:

The fellow linked to the ship that was bought, so I only put in the original and the one from the auction. I did not know of that first one at the time as well.

I can't believe some of you are entertaining buying this crap!

If you wanna save money buy no name brand jeans or save more coupons but lego is sacred and pirate lego even more so.

A knock off is a knock off, no matter how good it looks or cheap it appears I'd still have issues knowing this thing isn't the real deal. Maybe some of the cheap bricks could be useful as spares but that set as it stands belongs in the trash!

I might buy one for parts, as Lego is really expensive! I would never consider buying one instead of the real BSB though! (Seeing as I already have one! Well For my birthday in November..)

Everyone look

Have you ever just once brought a cheaper version or something because it was to expensize.

Also I got it for

I was surfing ebay and I found this. It looks like LEGO and all, but is it for real or what? My knowledge of Pirates don't sway far from the official sets. I don't think that it's real Lego, but is it Megablocks or something? It says blok blok in the title...

PS. If it is for real, then this (and the other cheap ones that say Blok Blok) might be good for you, Gen. Knowledge!

EDIT: I just noticed that it is NOT Lego. If this topic could be closed, it would be a real help.

Edited by SlyOwl