Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Knockoff/Clone/Imitation Brand Pirate Sets

has anybody seen this before? it's gotta be an illegal copy of the legendary set, right?

Yes, indeed this ship has been posted here before but why is everyone saying its an illegal copy? Obviously there is some cloning from the Black Seas Barracuda but there are also differences like...

blackpearl_g_800.jpg

But is it illegal to make a similiar ship? How different does the ship have to be?

Yup. Soooooooo manyyyyyyyyyyyyy topics on this.......... I'm really getting quite bored of it.

So why do you keep posting in them? X-D

Yes, indeed this ship has been posted here before but why is everyone saying its an illegal copy? Obviously there is some cloning from the Black Seas Barracuda but there are also differences like...

blackpearl_g_800.jpg

But is it illegal to make a similiar ship? How different does the ship have to be?

i think it's illegal because:

it's almost an exact copy of the set, sure, there are a few minor differences, but any one who knows just a little bit of Lego pirate ships knows that this is a clear reference to the lego model. it's like the illegal manufacturing of clothes, like Versace,...: the quality is not the same as the real thing, the model may not be an exact copy, but you get the picture...

Yes, I see your point Count Sneffy...

Is it illegal to own a counterfeit set?

according to belgian law, no, but it is illegal to sell them even if you don't know it's an illegal product. Belgian law is very strict on that, we've seen music shops for instance having to pay serious fines for selling copied cd's even though they had no idea this stuff was illegally copied. i think the major problem right now is the internet, with ebay and youtube.

thanks for informing snefroe...i thought i had seen all fake pirate sets...i was wrong...

The female pirate sucks...the original Lego pirate girl is much better...but i like the different masts

Are chinese people making fake lego sets yet? I read they was demanded by TLC and they lost...but i think that fake BSB is new

thanks for informing snefroe...i thought i had seen all fake pirate sets...i was wrong...

The female pirate sucks...the original Lego pirate girl is much better...but i like the different masts

Are chinese people making fake lego sets yet? I read they was demanded by TLC and they lost...but i think that fake BSB is new

Not quite, I've seen this sets months ago on eBay... I usually don't pay a lot attention to clone brands...

Mr Tiber

i think the major problem right now is the internet, with ebay and youtube.

YouTube? That's a movie sharing community - you must mean another website.

YouTube? That's a movie sharing community - you must mean another website.

no it's not (even though not important in this discussion). for instance, you're not allowed to put official video clips or bootlegs on youtube for every one to see unless you have the permission from all copy right owners; youtube is like a giant publisher who publishes every book he can find for free without giving any care about publisher's and author's rights. you're not allowed to do that.

Now I get you. I thought you meant people were getting Pirate sets from YouTube.

I've noticed with YouTube many users upload copyrighted video like trailers and music videos and get away with it. The infringing media is only removed if YouTube is ordered to do so otherwise its left for me to come and download with my special program X-D

I think it's illegal copy and since it's from China, the plastic's probably toxic.

But i like the railins and crowsnests *sweet*

Edited by phred

Talking about all the clones ive got one of those fake sets the BSB one since the real one was to much but im getting the real version soon.

If it was Illegal ebay would not allow the sale also Lego would press charges

And judging that there are diffrent pieces states it is not a illegal copy since it has diffrent pieces from the original. Its not all that bad ive replaced some men with my men i have and upgraded the ship abit.

But the thing i dont get is why do you all act like Whining Babys when theres a cloned brick? I meen its not like its gonna come to live and attack you!

Why make such a big fuss? I meen I know most of you can afford to buy loads but I dont really like to waste loads and loads on sets that proberbly arent even complete when you can get a bit low quality one for cheap?

Heres a pic 60027270_o.jpg

Edited by Joey Lock

First off, calling everyone 'whining babies' doens't fit, because they're not whining. 8-( For us, clone brands aren't a matter of saving money. The point for us is that a clone brand is just that: A company that leeches off of lego's work, making money when very little was put in to actually making it. Take it like this: Imagine that you put up a beautiful MOC on Brickshelf, and you've taken a long time to build, and you are very proud of it. The next day, you discover that someone has taken your picture of your MOC and put it up on a forum, and claims that it is theirs. How would you feel about that?

Why make such a big fuss? I meen I know most of you can afford to buy loads but I dont really like to waste loads and loads on sets that proberbly arent even complete when you can get a bit low quality one for cheap?

This makes no sense to me. What do you mean that "sets that probably aren't even complete" Are you saying that you buy clone brands for two reasons?

-You want it cheaper

-you buy it because Lego sets aren't complete?

Heres a pic 60027270_o.jpg

Mate, the purist will be all over you...

Mate, the purist will be all over you...

Dont get me wrong

Im just saying clone brands arent that bad

Also I meant that old pirate sets come from Bricklink may not be complete. Sorry guys :'-(

Edited by Joey Lock

I just read the item and he says 'Item is not shipped with original box because it would cost the buyer an extra 19USD shipping'. Obviously he says this not because it would really cost that much but because there is no box and he made the box cover online. Common sense tells me that much. Since I don't sniff at clone brands(I'm not a purist, they just don't appeal to me as much as real Lego sets do) I won't join the debate on clone brands.

Edited by trooperdavinfelth

Clone brands annoy me, simply because they get my hopes up. I mean, ok, on my desk here i have a load of custom made weapons like shotgun and Mauser pistol but thats custom stuff.

Would this be alright if they just came forward and admitted what they are doing? Or is there forgiveness in the eyes of LEGO?

Also, if we can get custom made made guns and clothes, WHY CAN'T WE GET SHAKO'S?!

Here's my 5 cents on this topic.

It's a fake and even if the box images promise You a box full of LEGO like bricks IT'S A LIE!

I've bought a Chinese copy set containing what was to be Forrestmen. The box had images and they looked 99% like the REAL DEAL. When I opened the box the bricks were badly molded and had various versions of colours. For example the yellow bricks were not the same yellow :-X Actually I think they use REAL DEAL LEGO for the box design (the LEGO mark is later removed digitally) thus luring us into buying those crappy sets.

Save Your money - Don't buy pirated LEGO products.

BTW I couldn't get rid of mine, I even tried to give it away - so I had to throw it into the garbage.

Stay cool - buy the REAL high! :-D

KimT

Since I don't sniff at clone brands(I'm not a purist, they just don't appeal to me as much as real Lego sets do) I won't join the debate on clone brands.

I agree with you im not sticking up for them im just saying if you think say you have always wanted the lego BSB for your whole life but no one sells one anymore not even on ebay, but theres a clone brand version of it...and it was cheap...Wouldnt you take this Opportunity?

But you wanted a Lego Black Seas Barracuda, the clone brands aren't Lego Black Seas Barracuda

Dont get me wrong

Im just saying clone brands arent that bad

Also I meant that old pirate sets come from Bricklink may not be complete. Sorry guys :'-(

Oops... Sorry! *sad*

I agree with you im not sticking up for them im just saying if you think say you have always wanted the lego BSB for your whole life but no one sells one anymore not even on ebay, but theres a clone brand version of it...and it was cheap...Wouldnt you take this Opportunity?

No I would regret it :-D

Maybe I would look on meetings to buy pieces which were in the set so I could collect al the pieces together, but I would not buy clone brand stuff, because it's cheaper. Not that I'm rich, I only want real lego :)

By the way, nice avatar.

Edited by Wout