kyphur

Layout WIP: I've finally started a real layout!

Yeah, I paid $7.50 each to get my 4 Grey ones but they look great. I'm thinking of buying another set of 4 just in case.

I haven't actually laid any track yet! I'm just "dry fitting" it at this point.

Next step is to sheet the tables with baseboard (either 1/8 or 1/4 inch) and then get all of the baseplates down. Initially I'll just put basepates where the rails are running. First the perimeter loop will be put down (which includes the bridge and tunnel). Then I'll lay the switching yard and freight yard.

Honestly the town will be the last part to get planned and built so I can't say when it might happen.

This layout is getting insanely expensive! The baseplates alone are enough to cover Christmas!

It sounds expensive, especially on those few $7.5 buck-a-part orders! I suppose get them while you can for as cheap as you can.

Your train system sounds huge. Is it all PF or an integration of other systems?

Instead of a middle pillar, add a 1x7 liftarm piece on the top inside of the bridge trusses, with a pin in every available hole (6 per). Then it can function just like a real Truss Bridge.

Agreed... I don't even like those pieces; they're not "LEGO-ey." I built mine from lift arms and technic bricks. It took me a few tries to get one I was happy with (at first), and I will tear mine apart and rebuild it at some point, but I was testing it with weights and very happy with the results... with just trains on it, there's no sagging.

Instead of a middle pillar, add a 1x7 liftarm piece on the top inside of the bridge trusses, with a pin in every available hole (6 per). Then it can function just like a real Truss Bridge.

Well the center pillar does more than just provide support, it will separate the rail line and the 2 lane road that will pass under the bridge. I may just add the 1x7 lift arm {beam} just to connect the two trusses anyway.

Agreed... I don't even like those pieces; they're not "LEGO-ey." I built mine from lift arms and technic bricks. It took me a few tries to get one I was happy with (at first), and I will tear mine apart and rebuild it at some point, but I was testing it with weights and very happy with the results... with just trains on it, there's no sagging.

Okay, I kind of agree with you, I mean I'd love to build the trusses entirely but due to the scope of this project I'm willing to make a compromise here and there to get to the point where I can actually run trains. Eventually I'll probably revisit the bridge at some point.

BTW, here's a link to a video of my MOD Short 3677 Shunter and MOC Transfer Caboose crossing both inclines and the bridge!

First test run over the bridge

Edited by kyphur

BTW, here's a link to a video of my MOD Short 3677 Shunter and MOC Transfer Caboose crossing both inclines and the bridge!

The bridge bodes well for your enormous layout. I'm really looking forward to more pictures as it keeps growing!

The bridge bodes well for your enormous layout. I'm really looking forward to more pictures as it keeps growing!

Thanks,

I should have the "hardboard" base attached to the table surfaces by the end of November then I'll lay the baseplates for the Perimeter Loop of track and the Switching Yard. My big goal is to have the Yards (including the Freight Yard) operational for Trains before Christmas. Maybe I should make some of those portable buildings my workers can use as offices & such until they can get the actual offices built?

The Roads for the trucks can come later.

In the meantime I just started pondering the Train Tunnel that will sit next to the Bridge...

Here's the list of parts needed just to lay the track and plate the surface:

* 333 - Baseplate 32 x 32

* . 9 - Baseplate 16 x 32

* 279 - Track, Flexible

* 269 - Track, Straight

*. 71 - Track, Curve

*. 10 - Track, Point Right

* . 8 - Track, Point Left

* . 1 - Track, 90 Deg Crossing

Here's an image of the updated track plan:

6355307543_43b8919684_z.jpg

Here is the link to the whole set

Edited by kyphur

Very, very nice plans you have here, wish I had the money and space to do something like this myself. Looking forward to seeing your layout and seeing you run the Maersk train with all those container cars.

Edited by Loggii

You are not seriously going to buy 333 green baseplates are you?!

Well my first thought was to steal then from neighborhood kids but I doubt that would get me very far :wacko: !

Seriously though, yes I am. I already have about 80 and I plan to buy about 20 per month until I have all I need. You can bet whenever S@H has free shipping or double VIP Points I'll be there...

The good thing is that I don't need all of them right now. I just need to keep my inventory ahead of the build.

But with a layout this size done entirely in LEGO there are going to be massive quantities of many other parts for example I'll have over 2,000 2x10 Plates in Light Gray just for track ballasting!

The 15 6ft tables weren't free either. So far liquidating my LEGO SW Collection has financed most of the prep for this project (including building my Engine & Rolling Stock Inventory). Selling off my 9v Track has helped also, next to go will be my 9v Train Motors! I'm PF all the with this one...

And here is the beginning of the design stage for my Tunnel:

6355943911_477572efff.jpg

6355943959_7c3df4fe25.jpg

Nice layout and i am quite (OK Very.) envious of the space.

Just one question though and feel free to ignore it, but in my home town we 'Used' to have a functing frieght yard at our harbour back before the cuts. It used to have a couple of sidings where they would have trucks being loaded and unloaded onto ships whilst leaving the main line free. Is that something you plan to add?

very very nice tunnel entrance there... Might have to steal shamelessly copy be highly inspired by that myself...

Thank you for the compliment. Just like my bridge design I'm trying to keep the tunnel simple. I figure if I want to make it more complex later then I can but first I'd like to get to the point where I have the track all laid and have started putting in buildings before I rethink some of these elements.

Nice layout and i am quite (OK Very.) envious of the space.

Just one question though and feel free to ignore it, but in my home town we 'Used' to have a functing frieght yard at our harbour back before the cuts. It used to have a couple of sidings where they would have trucks being loaded and unloaded onto ships whilst leaving the main line free. Is that something you plan to add?

That's a great question. The answer is yes I plan on loading multiple containers without tying-up traffic in my freight yard. My Cartage will cover Road, Rail & Sea.

I want to have two container cranes, one stationary and one that moves so it can load trucks/ rolling stock that is lined-up waiting.

I hope to have 2 or 3 sidings that are just outside the main line for loading/unloading and at least one lane for the trucks.

BTW, here's a couple of pics of my Proof of Concept test for the Tunnel Entrance. The Green Transfer Caboose is my tallest bit of rolling stock (it's even taller than all of my Locos). Notice that I changed to highest inverted slopes from 3x2 33s to 2x2 45s. I was just worried that the original design was just a hair too tight. The tunnel will have the same clearance as the bridge...

6356760231_00888b49e9.jpg

6356761419_b46f57067d.jpg

Edited by kyphur

Notice that I changed to highest inverted slopes from 3x2 33s to 2x2 45s. I was just worried that the original design was just a hair too tight. The tunnel will have the same clearance as the bridge...

Like it, although I think I'd be tempted to keep the highest slopes as the 33s and replace the one below with the 45s, as it'll help keep the shape of the arch better, it looks a tad crooked as it is.

Like it, although I think I'd be tempted to keep the highest slopes as the 33s and replace the one below with the 45s, as it'll help keep the shape of the arch better, it looks a tad crooked as it is.

You're right! I swapped the top two slopes and it looks better, thanks for the input...

And here is the completed design for the tunnel!

It fits squarely on one 32x32 baseplate and has enough structure to support tracks running across the top. Of course you can just put scenery up there if you prefer...

6358733615_de4316a650_z.jpg

6358763915_603aec6d6e_z.jpg

Edited by kyphur

And my MOD of BlokBrick.com's EOL Buffer design:

Notice that it uses 2 pieces of Flex Track for the base, here's a use for Flex Track even the 9v Guys can take advantage of!

6359147683_5171a8649d_z.jpg

It fits squarely on one 32x32 baseplate and has enough structure to support tracks running across the top. Of course you can just put scenery up there if you prefer...

This is such a great tunnel design! So simple, yet so good! I can't wait to see this finished. :cry_happy:

Notice that it uses 2 pieces of Flex Track for the base, here's a use for Flex Track even the 9v Guys can take advantage of!

wow! this design is beautiful and looks to be more stable than its predecessor!

As an avid 9v guy i Thank You for finding a use for the terrible flex track everything seems to come with now

only thing i could come up with was an electrical break between lines

any chance we could get a ldraw file? save us the hassle of squinting at black on black and guessing how you managed it

thanks again

~yugistew

6359147683_5171a8649d_z.jpg

I quite like this design =]

Do you think you can upload your LDD designs?

Will add in any details?

Just a small suggestions, see if you will like =]

You could have 1 stud of space at the bottom of the inner walls.

Like making a gap if a train pass through, the workers can hide in.

As an avid 9v guy i Thank You for finding a use for the terrible flex track everything seems to come with now. any chance we could get a ldraw file? save us the hassle of squinting at black on black and guessing how you managed it

thanks again

RE: EOL BUFFER;

I quite like this design =]

Do you think you can upload your LDD designs?

Thanks for the compliments on this upgrade. I've tweaked the design a little more since this initial MOD. I'll be creating and posting Instructions for this EOL Buffer along with instructions for the Train Bridge and the updated design for my Train Tunnel (a modular design that allows for easy extension of length in 16 stud increments.

RE: TRAIN TUNNEL;

Will add in any details?

Just a small suggestions, see if you will like =]

You could have 1 stud of space at the bottom of the inner walls.

Like making a gap if a train pass through, the workers can hide in.

I don't know about adding a safety gap at the wall base but I have been considering adding a door and side tunnel for worker access/safety. My main hesitation is that in my layout the tunnel will be built into some elevated scenery so the worker's tunnel won't be very accessible unless I build something removable to allow easy viewing/manipulation of the worker tunnel.

Thanks for the compliments on this upgrade. I've tweaked the design a little more since this initial MOD. I'll be creating and posting Instructions for this EOL Buffer along with instructions for the Train Bridge and the updated design for my Train Tunnel (a modular design that allows for easy extension of length in 16 stud increments.

I don't know about adding a safety gap at the wall base but I have been considering adding a door and side tunnel for worker access/safety. My main hesitation is that in my layout the tunnel will be built into some elevated scenery so the worker's tunnel won't be very accessible unless I build something removable to allow easy viewing/manipulation of the worker tunnel.

Great. Hope to get some buffers soon.

I just started back to collect trains, no map yet.

Now only have the old metroliner, Maersk (up to maybe 3 sets, any ideas?), Emerald Night (1 now, pbb need a few more passenger cars), the PF red passenger train (2).

Do't know should I get the red cargo, and normal cargo that are still selling.

Wanna get Santa Fe, BSNF, but they are so expensive...pbb need some TTX to match with Maersk as well.

Great. Hope to get some buffers soon.

I just started back to collect trains, no map yet.

Now only have the old metroliner, Maersk (up to maybe 3 sets, any ideas?), Emerald Night (1 now, pbb need a few more passenger cars), the PF red passenger train (2).

Do't know should I get the red cargo, and normal cargo that are still selling.

Wanna get Santa Fe, BSNF, but they are so expensive...pbb need some TTX to match with Maersk as well.

If you're looking for my opinion on your wants list here they are:

Emerald Night is okay but doesn't really "float my boat". I have one and that's enough. If it goes on my layout it will be as a static display (I'm thinking of using some space for a "Railroad Museum" to display my Steamers...

Maersk, I have 3 and don't regret that quantity. I've only built 2 of the Locos and will either build the 3rd recolored or not at all. I did build all of the rolling stock and will build a lot more of the containers, I just wish the doors were available in more colors. I also build extra Container Cars in Gray/Black.

BNSF is a nice set but for much less you can MOC the same engine.

Santa Fe, where to start? I've got so much invested in mine that it's kind of crazy. I have built all five cars and MOD'ed someone else's MOC of the EMD B-Unit. If I was to do it again from scratch I'd recommend building it in Bl-Grays to save a whole lot of money. IIRC the only part not made in Bl-Gray is the doors and the Port Holes. For the doors if you don't mind you can pick them up in old gray. For the port holes I'd simply settle for the parts used in the doors, sure they're not round but the port holes are $22 each and vanishing on BrickLink! I'd also not mind using the windscreen from 3677 instead of paying $16 for one with clear glass. FWIW, "The Chief" is my #1 Train and I don't regret a cent of it.

As for the TXX, why bother? It's not in scale with anything! I'm actually disappointed with it after all the hype I heard about it. If you really want a TXX Car (or set of them) there are a few nice MOCs around, take a look and then MOC your own that's in scale with the Maersk Containers.

Just my 2 cents.

On the EOL Buffers, I really liked the original design. I reworked it for 2 reasons:

* I felt with looked a bit wimpy compared to the Trains it's supposed to take a hit from.

* I'm considering discontinuing my use of ME-Models Rails. I was originally using ME's 1/2 Track Parts to mount the Buffers and would need an alternative solution.

If you're looking for my opinion on your wants list here they are:

Emerald Night is okay but doesn't really "float my boat". I have one and that's enough. If it goes on my layout it will be as a static display (I'm thinking of using some space for a "Railroad Museum" to display my Steamers...

Maersk, I have 3 and don't regret that quantity. I've only built 2 of the Locos and will either build the 3rd recolored or not at all. I did build all of the rolling stock and will build a lot more of the containers, I just wish the doors were available in more colors. I also build extra Container Cars in Gray/Black.

BNSF is a nice set but for much less you can MOC the same engine.

Santa Fe, where to start? I've got so much invested in mine that it's kind of crazy. I have built all five cars and MOD'ed someone else's MOC of the EMD B-Unit. If I was to do it again from scratch I'd recommend building it in Bl-Grays to save a whole lot of money. IIRC the only part not made in Bl-Gray is the doors and the Port Holes. For the doors if you don't mind you can pick them up in old gray. For the port holes I'd simply settle for the parts used in the doors, sure they're not round but the port holes are $22 each and vanishing on BrickLink! I'd also not mind using the windscreen from 3677 instead of paying $16 for one with clear glass. FWIW, "The Chief" is my #1 Train and I don't regret a cent of it.

As for the TXX, why bother? It's not in scale with anything! I'm actually disappointed with it after all the hype I heard about it. If you really want a TXX Car (or set of them) there are a few nice MOCs around, take a look and then MOC your own that's in scale with the Maersk Containers.

Just my 2 cents.

On the EOL Buffers, I really liked the original design. I reworked it for 2 reasons:

* I felt with looked a bit wimpy compared to the Trains it's supposed to take a hit from.

* I'm considering discontinuing my use of ME-Models Rails. I was originally using ME's 1/2 Track Parts to mount the Buffers and would need an alternative solution.

Oh yeah...I got the hobby train too...but not with me at the moment.

Thanks for your suggestion! Let me have a look at it frist

Btw, which is the port holes? Sorry, don't know which part is this >.<

I like your Santa Fe collection a lot...but that will cost me a fortune

Maybe build TTX to the same scale as Maersk? Are you planning to? DO they look similar...or any special details diff?

Also, did you bought 3 red passanger train to get 3 middle cars or you bought them online? I got two now...thinking what should I do to start the track collection lol still thinking should I build 9V and PF together using (V tracks...or seperate them

Oh yeah...I got the hobby train too...but not with me at the moment.

Thanks for your suggestion! Let me have a look at it frist

Btw, which is the port holes? Sorry, don't know which part is this >.<

I like your Santa Fe collection a lot...but that will cost me a fortune

4864bpx2.jpg

Which i would replace with

2377.jpg

Maybe build TTX to the same scale as Maersk? Are you planning to? DO they look similar...or any special details diff?

I'm toying with the idea but honestly wouldn't get to it for a while. The TXX is very similar to the Maersk Container Cars but TXX uses shared Bogies and comes in different lengths.

For now I'm happy just having Maersk Container Cars in my yard. The TXX "upgrade" is on a list of "eventually when I have time and nothing else to do".

Also, did you bought 3 red passanger train to get 3 middle cars or you bought them online? I got two now...

Nope, I only purchased 2 Red Passenger Trains Sets. The 3rd Passenger Car was built from the 2 unused engines, I only needed to add about 8 pieces but they are readily available from my parts inventory..

thinking what should I do to start the track collection lol still thinking should I build 9V and PF together using (V tracks...or seperate them

Personally I focused on the Engines and Rolling Stock first. Built a few loops with sidings and such so I could run my trains and "get to know" each of them. Since I've acquired most of my wanted Engines and Rolling Stock I'm not working on the layout. You'll be surprised at how much track you end-up with this way.

I don't even want to get into the 9v vs PF debate, it's like boxers or briefs... Each person will have their own preference and that's fine. For me I ended-up selling off all of my 9v track and will eventually sell of the 9c Train Motors, Speed controllers etc that I have. I just don't want the added complexity of multiple systems on on layout. Sure I have the RC Cargo Train but it's track needs are the same as the PF trains.