Brickdoctor

[LDD MOC] TIE/sa Bomber

gallery_101_23_281.gif

lddscreenshot60.png

Whew, was pushing the Community Build deadline there, again. :blush: Finally finished the TIE Bomber today, and I'm not completely happy with it, but I can't find any way to improve it without building it physically so I can hold it in my hands while I tinker with it. Notable, I don't like those gaps in the wings' edges or what should be a rounded area around the cockpit window.

lddscreenshot61.png

I'm not really happy with those back ends of the two pods, either, but the best way to fix them would be with a ring of cheese slopes and some illegal connections. (the best one that comes to mind is some clear stickers, but I'm no good with those.

lddscreenshot62.png

The front and back views look quite good, other than that I couldn't add the bottom fin on that right side pylon.

lddscreenshot63.png

lddscreenshot64.png

Other than that problem with the fin, I think the pylons turned out quite good. Definitely something to carryover to the inevitable TIE/in and possible TIE/ln.

lddscreenshot65.png

The area around the window is another place where a set of illegal connections and a ring of cheese slopes would have been the best solution. In LDD, I settled for a portion of the same 5-wide Lowell sphere from the TIE x1.

lddscreenshot66.png

I'm really happy, though, with the bomb dropper. The majority of the little details turned out pretty good. It's only the shaping that gave me problems.

Finished October 2011, C&C welcome! Thanks for looking. :classic:

Are those the panels from your x1 with a thicker grey border? Fantastic attention to studio model construction! The portside pod is also lovely - shaping is excellent, much better than anything I would have come up with at this scale. The use of the landing skids as greebling is quite clever. My only criticism is that as a whole, the model seems to lack bulk. It's evident from this picture that the pylons and the bit between the cockpits need a bit beefing up.

My only criticism is that as a whole, the model seems to lack bulk. It's evident from this picture that the pylons and the bit between the cockpits need a bit beefing up.

I'm kicking myself for never looking at that view. :wall:

Very nice work, Doc! The overall shaping is nice, and, of course, great SNOT work. :thumbup: I don't know why you don't just use some 3x3 rounded plates for the cockpit. It would block the viewport, but who cares? :classic:

Very nice work, Doc! The overall shaping is nice, and, of course, great SNOT work. :thumbup: I don't know why you don't just use some 3x3 rounded plates for the cockpit. It would block the viewport, but who cares? :classic:

The pod is only five studs wide, so 3x3 corner plates wouldn't work.

The pod is only five studs wide, so 3x3 corner plates wouldn't work.

It's six and a half, when you take the sides into account. I say 5-wide referring to the core. (the width of each segment at its skinniest) I did want the viewport open, though.

You sure have your way of fashionably beating the deadline of the community build just in the nick of time eh? :laugh: As always the design is very spot-on with the reference material, spiced up with your signature SNOT finishing. Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to design this?

Oh, and:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Great entry Brickdoctor! :thumbup:

Those gaps between the side panels are almost invisible, so dont worry about that. :wink:

Didnt notice fallenangel309's remark at first, but even so a great model.

This is awesome! I love the details of it.

Do you know if a minifigure could fit in the cockpit?

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to design this?

About a week. I would've started earlier, but I already had the wings pretty much built from the TIE x1 and I was busy with Heroica. :blush:

Any plans on building this for real?

Not really, at this point. I have a bunch of Rebel craft on my list that I want to tackle with physical bricks, first.

You can barely see it in the head-on view, but there is a TIE Pilot minifig sitting inside. :sweet:

This is nice Brickdoctor :thumbup:. Are you planing on making the whole series :drool:.

The TIE/in will probably end up being my entry for the Jedi Community Build. (which I'm sure ACPin plans on hosting) That's the only one I know I'll do, since the TIE/ln's wings were too hard in LDD, there's not much reason to build a TIE/sh, and I don't want to build any of the EU TIEs since the source material doesn't meet my standards.

I wonder if these pieces would work around the front of the cockpit:

My link

They could, but they don't taper towards the front.

Wow, this is outstanding work Brickdoctor. :thumbup:

I always wished that TLG would make a new TIE Bomber, but yours is even better than TLG's would have been. :sweet:

May I please have instructions? :classic:

Don't worry about pushing the deadline, I haven't even taken pictures of mine yet, and I'm on the deadline. :tongue:

May I please have instructions? :classic:

Once I've built the TIE/in, I plan to post the LXFs for the three craft in the LDD forum. Should be just in time for Christmas. :wink:

Once I've built the TIE/in, I plan to post the LXFs for the three craft in the LDD forum. Should be just in time for Christmas. :wink:

Yay! Christmas present from Brickdoctor! :grin:

The TIE/in will probably end up being my entry for the Jedi Community Build. (which I'm sure ACPin plans on hosting) That's the only one I know I'll do, since the TIE/ln's wings were too hard in LDD, there's not much reason to build a TIE/sh, and I don't want to build any of the EU TIEs since the source material doesn't meet my standards.

Well I look forward to the Interceptor. Sholy a Defender would, there's lots of source material, it's probably the most well done and popular EU TIE design.

It's smaller than minifigure scale. :wink: It's not to scale with his TIE x1, though. The viewport piece used in the construction of the TIE/sa studio model was taken from a 1/36 ERTL TIE x1 kit (the same one the panels were taken from) while the original x1 studio model was 1/24. Since Brickdoctor paid homage to the model makers' decision by using the same transparent 4-wide dish, the same discrepancy in scale should exist. What this means is that since Brickdoctor's TIE x1 was already much smaller than minifigure scale, the fact that a minifigure is sitting in this is hilarious. :laugh:

EDIT: No, it shouldn't. The idea of a minifigure in this is still funny, though.

Well I look forward to the Interceptor. Sholy a Defender would, there's lots of source material, it's probably the most well done and popular EU TIE design.

But there exist conflicting versions. For example, the original TIE/d from STAR WARS: TIE Fighter sported panels which were symmetrical along the horizontal axis, while subsequent renditions (such as this one) sported panels more reminiscent of the TIE/In. Some versions of the TIE/d also sport more polygonal cockpit balls, as opposed to renders like this one or this one which sport more spherical cockpit balls. The same uncertainty exists for any other Expanded Universe TIE craft, which I presume is why Brickdoctor considers those sources below his standards.

Edited by fallenangel309

It's smaller than minifigure scale. :wink: It's not to scale with his TIE x1, though. The viewport piece used in the construction of the TIE/sa studio model was taken from a 1/36 ERTL TIE x1 kit (the same one the panels were taken from) while the original x1 studio model was 1/24. Since Brickdoctor paid homage to the model makers' decision by using the same transparent 4-wide dish, the same discrepancy in scale should exist. What this means is that since Brickdoctor's TIE x1 was already much smaller than minifigure scale, the fact that a minifigure is sitting in this is hilarious. :laugh:

:blush: Admittedly, I never really checked scale that carefully. I started building around the minifig first, and then built outwards from there, mostly eyeballing the majority of it.

:blush: Admittedly, I never really checked scale that carefully. I started building around the minifig first, and then built outwards from there, mostly eyeballing the majority of it.

Well, of course - when working with LEGO it's generally more reasonable to build to a part rather than to any specific scale (one reason I presume why, aside from the podracers, none of Anio's UCS creations are to scale with each other).

EDIT: Wait, what did I just write? The viewports on both of Brickdoctor's creations are the same size, meaning they are to scale with each other. :wall:

Edited by fallenangel309