shutinc

[MOC] Dalheim Medieval Diorama

Welcome to the lands of Dalheim!

This is where the tax evaders build their houses with large tunnels beneath. They use the tunnels for both storing their valuables and for a place to retreat if war breaks out.

The setting is of a medieval village in the highlands with surrounding mountains.

The original idea was to make a small landscape on 4x 32x32 base plates. In the beginning I was only focusing on the landscape itself, but after a while I decided to make a small house on the top of the first module. I was unsure if I was to make a japanese or medieval styled house, but after getting more and more done I decided to go with a medieval theme.

Just when I thought I was finished I realised that it looked a bit empty and unfinished with just the first module by itself. I then started on the second module which I have also used 4x 32x32 baseplates. In the beginning I had planned a watermill, but I was too inspired by the "Mill Village Raid" [7189 ] so I decided on to go with a windmill instead. The windmill is also motorized and geared down to make a nice and slow spinning effect.

The total length is 120 studs, 64 studs deep and around 40 studs tall on the highest point. This build has taken almost 4 months to make and there is used about 20.000 parts and bits.

Take a look at the WIP set on flickr if you want to see how I made this huge landscape.

Hope you enjoy! Please feel free to comment and critique this build if you like!

6310182055_aa8a36bc2e_z.jpg

Dalheim Medieval Diorama - Main by shutinc, on Flickr

6292755794_1ee1e3ce4a_z.jpg

6293167450_3ee3f2264e_z.jpg

6293179178_faf585ebde_z.jpg

6294649359_bed4d6a05d_z.jpg

6293174870_dfe76f4d62_z.jpg

6293171680_b9398fa4ff_z.jpg

6292647177_ec33ed966a_z.jpg

6293169150_74112b07d2_z.jpg

6028409225_6830f6ff7d_z.jpg

6028963636_38acc26d70_z.jpg

6293162366_8ff11bdef8_z.jpg

6293160290_e41f1f75c7_z.jpg

6293156658_a60b3f78fe_z.jpg

6293155502_1a027acfb2_z.jpg

6292720301_35f0ae024e_z.jpg

6294641001_b4e01a5ac1_z.jpg

Edited by shutinc

This is simply amazing, the sheer size and scale of it just makes it look so grand and luscious, hope to see more creations from you in the future!

A really cosy little moc you got there! :classic: I like the waterfall and the houses are just perfect!

How have you done the sign "Dalheim"? Printed? It´s really good!

Wonderful naturalistic landscape there, shutinc. I love how you worked with the water here, especially the falls. The buildings are very cool, too. As a really minor quibble, this isn't a great spot for a windmill, and a waterwheel would have made more practical and historical sense in my opinion - your original instinct was probably the right one! But the whole thing looks so great, it really works.

I love, love, love the bigger waterfall. That's one of the best ones I've seen.

Beautiful ;)

Ahahah you have SO many black hands :) some of your working peasants wore black gloves, and on the other hand, some of my Drow (black) elves are wearing yellow ones ;)

We should meet and change hands

I am joking, I am glad to see that castle dioramas are taking so much space here lately, with all those beautiful and smart guides for building, I see a great improvement in this category of mocs

Again, bravo ;)

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments on this build!

It really keeps me motivated to go on with building new stuff :)

How have you done the sign "Dalheim"? Printed? It´s really good!

Thanks much, but I cannot take any credit for the signs. They have all been engraved by Matija from Brikkelauget.no (Norwegian LUG).

Wonderful naturalistic landscape there, shutinc. I love how you worked with the water here, especially the falls. The buildings are very cool, too. As a really minor quibble, this isn't a great spot for a windmill, and a waterwheel would have made more practical and historical sense in my opinion - your original instinct was probably the right one! But the whole thing looks so great, it really works.

I love, love, love the bigger waterfall. That's one of the best ones I've seen.

Wow, I didn't expect to get this much attention for my work. Thanks! :)

I kind of regret not making the watermill. I agree it would fit better than the windmill, but I'm glad you like how it turned out! :)

Beautiful ;)

Ahahah you have SO many black hands :) some of your working peasants wore black gloves, and on the other hand, some of my Drow (black) elves are wearing yellow ones ;)

We should meet and change hands

I am joking, I am glad to see that castle dioramas are taking so much space here lately, with all those beautiful and smart guides for building, I see a great improvement in this category of mocs

Again, bravo ;)

Oh yes! Drow are so facinating! I used to play a drow on a NWN2 server a few years ago. I notice your avatar is from the original neverwinter nights game :thumbup:

I'm glad you appreciate the developments in the castle section. More will come from me aswell hopefully in the near future :)

I think i'm moving to Dalheim! Awesome scenery!

Edited by Ecclesiastes

This is what I like to see, someone who's not afraid to use lots of plant pieces :laugh: This is very nicely done, I'm a big fan of countryside scenes and you have done a good job in making it look natural. The waterfall looks great as does the house and mill, its just a shame you couldn't swap them over, so the mill is at the top where it should be. Still, that's a small point and doesn't take away the fact that this is a great well built moc! :thumbup:

Thanks much, but I cannot take any credit for the signs. They have all been engraved by Matija from Brikkelauget.no (Norwegian LUG).

Do you know if he sells these signs? I live in Sweden so it´s not that far away!

Edited by de Gothia

Just beautifully done shutinc. The whole landscape is really quite decieving, it looks smaller than the actual size. The details all mesh so well together and the colours on the buildings really appeal to me. Love the trees and water features as well.

Great Job!

It reminds me of something the foresters / dark forest could bet set in, with the rural feel and the hidden passages.

Wow this MOC looks amazing and I love how the story is built into the creation instead of just an afterthought. Keep up the fantastic work!

I agree. Many MOC's look like the story was a last minute detail, rather than the foundations of the MOC. I love the tunnel network!

Awesome stuff! The landscape is rich with detailing, but for me the real highlight is the waterfall which is broken up by rocks that jut through. This really makes the scene for me.

So beautiful. I love how the scenery is so idyllic on the surface, yet there is a darker side to thier life with the caverns and weapons cache. That certainly is an impressive hoard for a simple village - i suspect ill-gotten gains! :pir-devil:

Wow, thanks everyone for your wonderful comments and praise!

I'm glad you find the whole build interesting! :)

This is what I like to see, someone who's not afraid to use lots of plant pieces :laugh: This is very nicely done, I'm a big fan of countryside scenes and you have done a good job in making it look natural. The waterfall looks great as does the house and mill, its just a shame you couldn't swap them over, so the mill is at the top where it should be. Still, that's a small point and doesn't take away the fact that this is a great well built moc! :thumbup:

Thanks much! It means a lot to hear this from such a master of this theme as you are :) I have to admint that I've taken inspiration from your wonderful builds like many others before me.

When it comes to the mill and the house I totally agree that they should be swapped, but I was so happy with it that I didn't dare to change it :P

Do you know if he sells these signs? I live in Sweden so it´s not that far away!

I don't know, but I can ask and send you a PM if he does :)

Just beautifully done shutinc. The whole landscape is really quite decieving, it looks smaller than the actual size. The details all mesh so well together and the colours on the buildings really appeal to me. Love the trees and water features as well.

wow, thanks much! I agree it looks smaller than what it really is but getting the whole thing into one picture isn't easy :P Thanks again for your feedback!